Nightfall currently bugged? (Destiny)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 19:15 (1388 days ago)

DIM on Twitter is reporting that all the enemies on the 1080 nightfall are capped at 750 right now.

Anyone up for a round?

Nightfall currently bugged?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 23:55 (1387 days ago) @ CougRon

DIM on Twitter is reporting that all the enemies on the 1080 nightfall are capped at 750 right now.

Anyone up for a round?

We did one. They might have been 750... but it was NOT easy. It was really, really rough. Many, many champions, and Famine was on, so things like Overload Hobgoblins are HARD.

So... you’re saying there’s a chance?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 02:20 (1387 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 09:03 (1387 days ago) @ CougRon

I will say, don't let the stories scare you off from it.

Doing that Nightfall last night with Warburton and Zero was genuinely the most fun I've had running any strike in recent memory. So many great moments, such as the one point where we were struggling with an Overload Minotaur when we had no stagger ammo, and we had to simply overwhelm him with abilities and ammo. Only to drop down to the next spot a few feet away and find a second Overload Minotaur.
Or that one spot with the Taken Psions replicating faster than we could possibly kill them, or the two Champion Hobgoblins that stood juuuust on the edge of the Taken Blight, and refused to separate... It was great.
From the catharsis of bringing down every single champion (Platinum rewards baybeee!) and Cyclops, to finally getting that chest to pop and getting blasted with rewards... It was great, and I would actually be totally be down to run it again now that I know what we're up against.

Fun fact, it was Warburton's first time running the strike, so he got the best, most fun intro that he could possibly get to a strike. If only all new strikes were introduced through a 750 Master Nightfall. :P

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 10:08 (1387 days ago) @ Korny

Anyone else notice that the game is a thousand times more fun when the light levels are totally busted? I wish Bungie would.

by Simpsons Rule @, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 10:10 (1387 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Anyone else notice that the game is a thousand times more fun when the light levels are totally busted? I wish Bungie would.

Like bringing back the Daybreak modifier for strikes?

-SR

I wish Bungie would too.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 13:38 (1387 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

(Sigh)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 10:56 (1387 days ago) @ CougRon

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1280914252442636290

DDosing, hacking, and completely ruining Trials for everyone...#MOTW.

Getting a single extra reward in Nightfall?

Nightfall currently bugged?

by Simpsons Rule @, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 06:07 (1387 days ago) @ CougRon

It was not a walk in the park, and there was definitely a learning curve to dealing with those enemies and specific modifiers. My group's first attempt ended an hour later with a few wipes on the boss just shy of 100,000 points. The second attempt was in half the time and a much bigger score after we adjusted our loadouts. Honestly I can't imagine doing it when it's not bugged.

-SR

Patched.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 15:39 (1387 days ago) @ CougRon

Again, it is the legend

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Thursday, July 09, 2020, 22:11 (1385 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Bungie lives up to the legend. Almost anything that is buggy or bad takes ages to fix. Any glitch considered good or fun is patched ASAP.

Again, it is the legend

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, July 10, 2020, 06:14 (1385 days ago) @ CougRon

Bungie lives up to the legend. Almost anything that is buggy or bad takes ages to fix. Any glitch considered good or fun is patched ASAP.

I mean, technically they didn't fix the issue. Yet. They just swapped the map which is a server side change. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

Again, it is the legend

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 09:55 (1385 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I mean, technically they didn't fix the issue. Yet. They just swapped the map which is a server side change. Rose tinted glasses and all that.

The fact that they even did that is the issue, though.

Was there a problem that could be exploited for high-value in-game currency? Yes. Would it break anything to allow it to run for the week? Well, I guess we'll never really know, but I'd be shocked to find out that any serious damage could have been done.

I ran the Festering Core (bugged) NF with a couple of high-light, high-hours Destiny players. It took us 37 minutes to finish. I saw reports on Reddit that suggested the average was closer to an hour for people who knew what they were doing, and plenty of people tried and gave up.

If you were a streamer, maybe you could devote 10 hours a day to this for the full week, doing nothing else. Maybe you could get it down to half an hour (or even less!), let's be generous and say 25 runs per 10-hour session. Let's be even more generous and suggest that 50% of your runs result in a golf ball (Ascendant Shard).

That's not even 100 shards.

And that's for someone who devotes 70 hours over the week to the endeavor.

For the vast, vast majority of us, it MIGHT give us 1-5 extra shards, if it had been left up for the week. (I'd probably have run it a few more times, though I bet after the second or third run I'd have considered bagging, because while the first run was a fun challenge, doing it over and over wouldn't be - Famine makes Nightfalls unfun.)

So: a tiny minority would be able to earn enough golf balls that masterworking armor would cease to be something they were striving for. (Let's be serious, though - anyone with that kind of time to play Destiny has ALREADY masterworked all the armor they use regularly.) A larger group (but still a pretty small minority) would be able to augment their average earning enough to notice a difference. The remainder wouldn't even make it to the end, even with the bugged light levels.

BUT THE GOODWILL GENERATED BY THE CHANCE AT EXTRA MATERIALS WOULD HAVE FAR OUTWEIGHED ANY IMBALANCE.

I cannot for the LIFE of me understand why they didn't just let this one play out. Take the loss ("our bad, it's bugged, go wild") and bask in the happy Destiny feelings.

Again, it is the legend

by cheapLEY @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 10:21 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Isn’t that the story of Destiny at this point?

I’m not trying to be down, but that really feels like it sums up Bungie’s attitude toward the game over the last few years, if not longer.

Folks can argue all they want about bugs not being created equal and knocking out the easy ones, but at what point do they step back and consider the optics for like ten seconds?

Again, it is the legend

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 10, 2020, 10:53 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's very simple. You give an inch, and people want a mile. And before you know it, your frictions and investment based game evaporates and you have nothing left.

Why doesn't Big Brother let it slide just this once? Because then the state ultimately has no authority. It must be absolute.

Again, it is the legend

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 11:05 (1385 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's very simple. You give an inch, and people want a mile. And before you know it, your frictions and investment based game evaporates and you have nothing left.

Why doesn't Big Brother let it slide just this once? Because then the state ultimately has no authority. It must be absolute.

They've done it before. It didn't break anything.

I choose to believe that this was just a bad choice, rather than assuming that Bungie has become an evil corporation who no longer gives a shit about its fanbase. You, clearly, are on the other side of that line. (Or, maybe, you're not, but you're so married to your own hyperbole that you don't care that you're perceived that way.)

Again, it is the legend

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 10, 2020, 11:22 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

They've done it before. It didn't break anything.

I choose to believe that this was just a bad choice, rather than assuming that Bungie has become an evil corporation who no longer gives a shit about its fanbase. You, clearly, are on the other side of that line. (Or, maybe, you're not, but you're so married to your own hyperbole that you don't care that you're perceived that way.)

No, I think very much they care about their fanbase. Just… not quite in the right way and with bad taste in game design. I honestly think they are doing what they truly think is best for the players.

Kind of like how M. Night Shyamalan was truly doing what he thought was best with Lady in the Water.

Again, it is the legend

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, July 10, 2020, 12:47 (1385 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They literally gave me an emblem to celebrate a time they let it ride.

[image]

Again, it is the legend

by Simpsons Rule @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 11:11 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I cannot for the LIFE of me understand why they didn't just let this one play out. Take the loss ("our bad, it's bugged, go wild") and bask in the happy Destiny feelings.

It's so inconsistent. When Prometheus Lens turned every Crucible match into laser tag, they actively encouraged it by having Xur sell the damn thing and eventually created an emblem to mark the occasion.

And you're absolutely right, the glitch didn't make the Nightfall a cakewalk.

-SR

Again, it is the legend

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, July 10, 2020, 12:55 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The fact that they even did that is the issue, though.

Was there a problem that could be exploited for high-value in-game currency? Yes. Would it break anything to allow it to run for the week? Well, I guess we'll never really know, but I'd be shocked to find out that any serious damage could have been done.

I ran the Festering Core (bugged) NF with a couple of high-light, high-hours Destiny players. It took us 37 minutes to finish. I saw reports on Reddit that suggested the average was closer to an hour for people who knew what they were doing, and plenty of people tried and gave up.

If you were a streamer, maybe you could devote 10 hours a day to this for the full week, doing nothing else. Maybe you could get it down to half an hour (or even less!), let's be generous and say 25 runs per 10-hour session. Let's be even more generous and suggest that 50% of your runs result in a golf ball (Ascendant Shard).

That's not even 100 shards.

And that's for someone who devotes 70 hours over the week to the endeavor.

For the vast, vast majority of us, it MIGHT give us 1-5 extra shards, if it had been left up for the week. (I'd probably have run it a few more times, though I bet after the second or third run I'd have considered bagging, because while the first run was a fun challenge, doing it over and over wouldn't be - Famine makes Nightfalls unfun.)

So: a tiny minority would be able to earn enough golf balls that masterworking armor would cease to be something they were striving for. (Let's be serious, though - anyone with that kind of time to play Destiny has ALREADY masterworked all the armor they use regularly.) A larger group (but still a pretty small minority) would be able to augment their average earning enough to notice a difference. The remainder wouldn't even make it to the end, even with the bugged light levels.

BUT THE GOODWILL GENERATED BY THE CHANCE AT EXTRA MATERIALS WOULD HAVE FAR OUTWEIGHED ANY IMBALANCE.

Yeah, I agree with all this. I just didn't agree with the statement I replied to. I will say that there is a certain level of urgency when bugs like this do come up where it could have been that maybe people were easily farming 100 golf balls. They don't really know that until it's too late. And they aren't going to take them back after the fact.

And currency in a game is one of the things that can kinda screw over the meta. Where as the Prometheus Lens debacle isn't doing that. It is just dumbing down the crucible experience in a fun way. And they made it an even playing field by selling the lens as well, unlike the infinite shadowshot incident.

I'm not saying they did the right thing, I'm just pointing out the difficulties of snapshot decisions when it comes the the economy and balance of the game.

Now I'll wait to get railed on for my comments :D

Again, it is the legend

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 10, 2020, 14:01 (1385 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I agree with all this. I just didn't agree with the statement I replied to. I will say that there is a certain level of urgency when bugs like this do come up where it could have been that maybe people were easily farming 100 golf balls. They don't really know that until it's too late. And they aren't going to take them back after the fact.

Yeah... I can see the attitude of 'better safe than sorry' directing the quick switch. The thing is, doing the math took me, what... 2 minutes? And they swapped out the NF a full day after it was found to be bugged. I understand not wanting to shoot from the hip - but I think that should apply to both sides of this sort of equation. (Don't reflexively remove something that's only there as a bug without at least ballparking what the downside might be, is all I'm saying.)

And optics matter. CougRon is right, whether this is justifiable or not, it fits into a long pattern of "we are SUPER-FAST at fixing bugs that benefit the player, and not nearly so fast at ones that penalize the player." You can argue that there are good reasons for that, but at the end of the day... sometimes it's worth it to take the hit just to make the optics better.

::shrug::

Again, it is the legend

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, July 10, 2020, 15:23 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah... I can see the attitude of 'better safe than sorry' directing the quick switch. The thing is, doing the math took me, what... 2 minutes? And they swapped out the NF a full day after it was found to be bugged. I understand not wanting to shoot from the hip - but I think that should apply to both sides of this sort of equation. (Don't reflexively remove something that's only there as a bug without at least ballparking what the downside might be, is all I'm saying.)

And optics matter. CougRon is right, whether this is justifiable or not, it fits into a long pattern of "we are SUPER-FAST at fixing bugs that benefit the player, and not nearly so fast at ones that penalize the player." You can argue that there are good reasons for that, but at the end of the day... sometimes it's worth it to take the hit just to make the optics better.

Yeah, and I agree. Community good will is never a bad thing. I just have a tendency to play the devils advocate because sometimes it's hard for the community to see the perspective of the people fixing shit and having to deal with the repercussions of a decision. Because I deal with a similar job where sometimes you have to make a quick decision that people might hate because a quick fix might actually break things worse :D

But yeah, you still have to look up to see where you are going instead of just head down fixing stuff that doesn't need to be fixed right away.

Again, it is the legend

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, July 10, 2020, 15:54 (1385 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Sometimes I wish there was a developer who looked at bugs and oversights that trended well with the community, then leaned into those details to improve the broader aspects of the game instead of stamping them out and shaking their finger at the player base. If only there was such a respectable developer who valued goodwill and community in order to foster positive changes...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread