Movement in Titanfall 2 is a thing of beauty (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 10:34 (1356 days ago)

I stumbled across this video today, and really enjoyed it. It starts off slow; the player simply walks from point A to B. It shows a player repeatedly travelling across one of the multiplayer maps, but each cut adds another movement mechanic to his travel. So he starts simply walking from point A to B, then ads some simple jumps, then sprinting, then double jumps... before long, he’s chaining wall-running and knee-slides, grenade jumps, grappling hook slingshots and other abilities to virtually fly around the map. He makes it all look so smooth and seamless. It also really drives home the way a great set of strong foundational mechanics can stack on top of each other and create room for mastery in a way that is super rewarding.

Thumbs down FOV too wide, image distorts

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 12:23 (1356 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 12:26

Party pooper!

But yeah, movement is really great with this game. If only player movement were emphasized again in games. It's the beauty of multiplicitive design.

Thumbs down FOV too wide, image distorts

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 13:29 (1356 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now if only there was a studio that took a movement glitch that players loved, identified why they loved it, and completely redesigned their game around it . . .

Alright Korny, give cheapLEY his account back ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 14:04 (1356 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I am F000CH.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 17:28 (1356 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I mean, Titanfall never let you build your own obstacle course (with leaderboard) to challenge your clan mates on...

My eyes!!!!!! They burn!!!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 11, 2020, 17:59 (1356 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Movement in Titanfall 2 is a thing of beauty

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 13:06 (1355 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's amazing, (or a testament to Apex Legends) how far into that video I got before realizing they had not used the grapple yet.

I do wish the end of the video had less bunny hopping. I know it's efficient, but it is far less fun then a long wall run.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:17 (1354 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by MacAddictXIV, Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:20

I stumbled across this video today, and really enjoyed it. It starts off slow; the player simply walks from point A to B. It shows a player repeatedly travelling across one of the multiplayer maps, but each cut adds another movement mechanic to his travel. So he starts simply walking from point A to B, then ads some simple jumps, then sprinting, then double jumps... before long, he’s chaining wall-running and knee-slides, grenade jumps, grappling hook slingshots and other abilities to virtually fly around the map. He makes it all look so smooth and seamless. It also really drives home the way a great set of strong foundational mechanics can stack on top of each other and create room for mastery in a way that is super rewarding.

I agree and appreciate that stacking of skills and abilities. For me personally though, when I see that kinda of movement and then you add shooting at bad guys it is just not the kinda fast chaos that I want in a game. If you were able to do all those moves and toned the speed down even 30% then I think it would be better for me. Do I think it still takes skill? Hell yeah. I also think mobility in a game is very important. When I played back in the day and I faced off against people like that then all it was was drive by shooting. It felt more like "If I manage to do this cool trick shot you die and there is nothing you can do about it" Super rewarding for the player, but not the one getting shot. It seems like the defense to something like that is to just move just as fast so that it gets infinitely harder to pull something like that off but it's still the same situation.

This is also how I feel about any game that has trick moves that keep increasing your speed. If you keep doing it and do it perfect then you just move faster instead of small movements that put you in places that are unexpected. Unexpected movement in games feel more like playing a game of chess than "Hey, I'm moving so fast that you can't hit me" kinda movement.

Again, more my thoughts and my style of play than anything. This is also why I like Apex way more than Titanfall PvP. I really enjoyed Titanfall campaign though.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:04 (1354 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I want a limited time mode with no Legend restrictions. I want to play an all Pathfinder match really bad, just to see what the game would be like with everyone having access to that movement. Especially if it was with his old grapple cool down.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:21 (1354 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I want a limited time mode with no Legend restrictions. I want to play an all Pathfinder match really bad, just to see what the game would be like with everyone having access to that movement. Especially if it was with his old grapple cool down.

I do really like how they are playing more into the gametypes idea with the special events. Shotgun snipers? How does that change the meta? What if the Mozambique, the worst gun in the game, had 9 shots instead of 3? It's completely changes everything about the game with very simple changes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread