How subscription services kill games (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 07:31 (1381 days ago)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-30/apple-cancels-arcade-games-in-strategy-shift-to-keep-subscribers

The Cupertino, California-based technology giant scrapped development contracts with multiple game studios earlier this year and informed them of the new approach, according to people familiar with the matter.

On calls in mid-April, an Apple Arcade creative producer told some developers that their upcoming games didn’t have the level of “engagement” Apple is seeking, the people said. Apple is increasingly interested in titles that will keep users hooked, so subscribers stay beyond the free trial of the service, according to the people.

Look at that. This is the future if Apple Arcade and Xbox live pass become the norm. Games designed to maximize screen time rather than fun.

Every debate about pricing and microtransaction should stop here. The fact of the matter is that a single lump sum for your game is what maximizes game quality. Everything else requires compromises.

How subscription services kill games

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 10:36 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Look at that. This is the future if Apple Arcade and Xbox live pass become the norm. Games designed to maximize screen time rather than fun.

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that there is no reason you can't have both. You make the assumption that you can't.

Every debate about pricing and microtransaction should stop here. The fact of the matter is that a single lump sum for your game is what maximizes game quality. Everything else requires compromises.

Money all at once does not equal quality. You alone should know this for someone who loves indie games. A game's quality is defined by the people making it. And who is making it is partly defined by having the money to pay them. It doesn't have to be that you have all the money up front. And it's not even that it's up front, you have to make the game and THEN you get the money.

As for the article, I would agree with you on the idea that that seems fishy. But until I hear more I'm not picking up my pitch fork.

Xbox Game Pass

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 10:41 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I just want to mention that there are a TON of games I have played on this service that I never would have spent a dime on otherwise. So those games have gotten my play time, appreciation, and money because of the service.

Xbox Game Pass

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 10:55 (1381 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 10:59

I just want to mention that there are a TON of games I have played on this service that I never would have spent a dime on otherwise. So those games have gotten my play time, appreciation, and money because of the service.

Which may or may not have even been made had Xbox Game Pass been the only way to play them. That's the point here.

Xbox Game Pass

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 11:06 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Except Xbox Game Pass isn’t the way to play them, so I’m not sure what the point you’re reaching for even is.

Xbox Game Pass

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 11:17 (1381 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Except Xbox Game Pass isn’t the way to play them, so I’m not sure what the point you’re reaching for even is.

Yes. That's the point I am making. BECAUSE it wasn't the only way to get them, those games exist. But if in the future, the Xbox or gaming in general is subscription only, like Apple Arcade is now, some of those games may not even be able to be made.

Xbox Game Pass

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 11:41 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Okay? When that future happens, let’s talk again.

You’re using weird hypotheticals to make your point, and I just don’t see it as warranted. Apple not funding some game because it’s not designed the right way for them doesn’t prevent that game from being made, it just means that developer needs to look elsewhere for funding. It’s exactly the same as any other industry where you look for funding to make something. If I pitch a game to MS and they say no, that doesn’t mean they prevented my game from existing.

Xbox Game Pass

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 14:07 (1381 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You’re using weird hypotheticals to make your point, and I just don’t see it as warranted. Apple not funding some game because it’s not designed the right way for them doesn’t prevent that game from being made, it just means that developer needs to look elsewhere for funding.

One day, when gaming subscription services are your only choice, then anywhere you seek funding will have the same requirements…

Cody got early access to Cyberpunk 2077... I guess...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 14:18 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Xbox Game Pass

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 14:32 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 14:46

Ah yes, I too remember the death of PC gaming, the death of console gaming, the time mobile games killed real games, the time Netflix killed movie theaters, etc, etc.

Talk to me again when this is even close to reality. I’ll keep holding my breath.

P.S. Where do you buy your weed, it seems like it must be extremely good shit and I’d like to try it. I’m always down for a little drug induced paranoia. (:

Xbox Game Pass

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 15:19 (1381 days ago) @ cheapLEY

the time Netflix killed movie theaters

It wasn't Netflix that killed them…

It sure helped.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:17 (1379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

lol

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 17:24 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-30/apple-cancels-arcade-games-in-strategy-shift-to-keep-subscribers

The Cupertino, California-based technology giant scrapped development contracts with multiple game studios earlier this year and informed them of the new approach, according to people familiar with the matter.

On calls in mid-April, an Apple Arcade creative producer told some developers that their upcoming games didn’t have the level of “engagement” Apple is seeking, the people said. Apple is increasingly interested in titles that will keep users hooked, so subscribers stay beyond the free trial of the service, according to the people.

If a game want's to maximize my screen time, it has to be fun.

It is not an either-or type thing, as much as you make it out to be. Fun is subjective. You know this.

lol

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 18:35 (1381 days ago) @ Revenant1988

It is not an either-or type thing, as much as you make it out to be. Fun is subjective. You know this.

There's apparently no room for an amazing 5 hour experience on Apple Arcade. It will never have its own Portal.

lol

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 13, 2020, 07:19 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's apparently no room for an amazing 5 hour experience on Apple Arcade. It will never have its own Portal.

Yeah, that's what the App Store is for. Also, I don't think I've ever played a game on my phone where I said "That was an amazing 5 hours of gameplay." And then just moved on to some other game. Maybe if you are marketing for 5 hours of mind blowing gameplay don't market it to a mobile phone game subscription service. There is a reason that RTS's do horribly on Console, because they aren't built for that.

lol

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:13 (1380 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also, I don't think I've ever played a game on my phone where I said "That was an amazing 5 hours of gameplay."

Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery EP.

lol

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 13, 2020, 08:26 (1380 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Also, I don't think I've ever played a game on my phone where I said "That was an amazing 5 hours of gameplay."

Is this a game that can be picked up and put down in 5 minute chunks? Is it satisfying if I play 5 hours in 300 chunks of time? That to me is a mobile phone game. Hey, I'm waiting in line for my coffee, I have a mobile device to fill some time. Hey, I'm waiting for my code to compile, maybe I can get one fight in. That is what I use my phone for, if I have more than 30 minutes I'll go play on my xbox.

This is why I questioned if an amazing 5 hour game is worth it on a mobile device. If it requires chuncks of 60 minutes than I think it would be much better on other platforms.

lol

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 13, 2020, 09:00 (1380 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

No, I doubt it. I played it in two sittings. I get why you would, but that’s an odd restriction to put on a game just because it’s on a phone. I have my phone with me at home, too. I played it on a plane. The game was good enough to make playing it on a phone acceptable. It’s also on Switch now, and has been on PC for ages, but I think it was phone and tablet only for a long while.

lol

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:19 (1379 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Vortech, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:24

Is this a game that can be picked up and put down in 5 minute chunks? Is it satisfying if I play 5 hours in 300 chunks of time? That to me is a mobile phone game. Hey, I'm waiting in line for my coffee, I have a mobile device to fill some time. Hey, I'm waiting for my code to compile, maybe I can get one fight in. That is what I use my phone for, if I have more than 30 minutes I'll go play on my xbox.

This is why I questioned if an amazing 5 hour game is worth it on a mobile device. If it requires chuncks of 60 minutes than I think it would be much better on other platforms.

Apple Arcade games are playable across iPhone, iPad, TV and Mac. Every one of them.

But, since I heard you like 5 hour games you can play in 5 minute chunks, may I introduce you to "What the Golf?" — the best game I played last year.

lol

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:49 (1379 days ago) @ Vortech

Apple Arcade games are playable across iPhone, iPad, TV and Mac. Every one of them.

But, since I heard you like 5 hour games you can play in 5 minute chunks, may I introduce you to "What the Golf?" — the best game I played last year.

I've heard of this game and I keep forgetting about it! Maybe this time I won't?

Indeed. *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 13, 2020, 11:50 (1380 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I figure there’s a better, quirky, more Superbrothers way to say “Indeed” but I haven’t played in a while and don’t currently have its odd whimsy in my head. But yes, it was great!

Indeed. *NM*

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 13, 2020, 15:31 (1380 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I still listen to music from that soundtrack regularly. I was disappointed to see Jim Guthrie isn’t working on their new game. But I was also pleased to see that scntfc was. They (maybe just he, I think?) did the soundtrack to Oxenfree, and I loved that too.

Oh! Interesting! Loved Oxenfree!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 13, 2020, 16:03 (1380 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

<_< >_> <_< Olly olly...!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 13, 2020, 16:32 (1380 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

How subscription services kill games

by CommanderCartman, Redmond, WA and Jeddah, SA, Sunday, July 12, 2020, 19:55 (1381 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I totally disagree. Subscriptions really help the cash flow of game studios, I am certain.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread