Kinect Lobotomized? (Gaming)

by squidnh3, Monday, July 13, 2020, 17:17 (1372 days ago)

Anyone out there still using their Kinect? I've been using mine since Destiny launch day to tell my Xbox to turn on and "go to Destiny 1/2" but in the past 2 days it has stopped understanding what Destiny 2 or the names of any other games are (it translates "go to Destiny 2" as "go to messages"). I've tried re-calibrating it and resetting it to no avail. It still understands some basic commands - the only other one I use, "Xbox record that", still works, but a lot of things with specific names don't work (e.g., it has no idea what "settings" is, although it still knows what "store" means!). My theory right now is that Microsoft broke it with some internal update to the Xbox OS by forgetting to update those strings, and nobody noticed because nobody uses the Kinect anymore. Anyone else still hanging on to the old future and has noticed this issue?

Kinect Lobotomized?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, July 13, 2020, 19:17 (1372 days ago) @ squidnh3

No problem with mine. Just tried it right now. It’s worked much better ever since they got rid of cortana. The only problem I get is occasionally it asks me to repeat a command out of the blue with nothing being said of the activation keywords, not even if I’m watching a show.

Kinect Lobotomized?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:28 (1372 days ago) @ squidnh3

Yeah. it's getting worse and worse. When I switched to the XboxOneX they had already discontinued the USB adapter (what a Brazil-esque conversation that was with he folks at the Microsoft store…) and people were price gouging for it so I didn't have it connected until about a year ago when I finally saw one being sold used for a reasonable price.

Now I find it's worse with voice commands than it was with Cortana, and so obviously with the pre-Cortana days. It seems to have trouble with wake word. I thought they had fully disabled voice commands, but it turns out I need to practically yell to make it work. I dunno. it used to work fine at a normal speaking volume, but I did move to a place with double the ceiling height so maybe it's a echo/reverb/SPL problem with the space I have it in?

Kinect Lobotomized?

by squidnh3, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:36 (1372 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by squidnh3, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:40

Yeah. it's getting worse and worse.

Mine has worked exactly the same for almost 6 years, until 2 days ago.

Actually, it would be easier to accept if it had been degrading in performance, at least that would make sense. This is the specific kind of electronics issue that drives me crazy - it will cause almost no inconvenience (I have to press 'A' twice to start Destiny now instead of once), but I can't accept the nonsensical and arbitrary nature of the problem and its lack of origin.

Kinect Lobotomized?

by squidnh3, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 10:31 (1372 days ago) @ squidnh3

I did find one more person in the universe with the same problem: here. But no solution.

Kinect Lobotomized?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 11:40 (1372 days ago) @ squidnh3

Anyone out there still using their Kinect? I've been using mine since Destiny launch day to tell my Xbox to turn on and "go to Destiny 1/2" but in the past 2 days it has stopped understanding what Destiny 2 or the names of any other games are (it translates "go to Destiny 2" as "go to messages"). I've tried re-calibrating it and resetting it to no avail. It still understands some basic commands - the only other one I use, "Xbox record that", still works, but a lot of things with specific names don't work (e.g., it has no idea what "settings" is, although it still knows what "store" means!). My theory right now is that Microsoft broke it with some internal update to the Xbox OS by forgetting to update those strings, and nobody noticed because nobody uses the Kinect anymore. Anyone else still hanging on to the old future and has noticed this issue?

I basically don't use mine any more, but you can integrate Alexa pretty well. It's still nowhere near as good as it once was, where you could almost use the Xbox OS and apps hands free. It still ticks me off that they've neglected it so.

Soon enough I will have lost what I paid for when I bought my Xbox One and when I bought Destiny 2. :(

Revived!

by squidnh3, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 14:17 (1372 days ago) @ Kermit

I basically don't use mine any more, but you can integrate Alexa pretty well.

This will work I guess, but it's going to be a lot harder to remember which disembodied object I'm telling to do which things haha.

Edit: As soon as I linked the Alexa, the normal commands started working again. Must be some sort of rivalry.

Revived!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 21:37 (1371 days ago) @ squidnh3

I basically don't use mine any more, but you can integrate Alexa pretty well.

This will work I guess, but it's going to be a lot harder to remember which disembodied object I'm telling to do which things haha.

Edit: As soon as I linked the Alexa, the normal commands started working again. Must be some sort of rivalry.

At one point I was talking to Xbox, PS4, Alexa, and Siri. Alexa and Siri are still around, and I still get them mixed up.

You Guys Are Lucky!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 20:03 (1371 days ago) @ squidnh3

Mine didn't work fresh out of the box. Only reason I didn't take it back was because I had made my purchase in the weirdest time ever when buying a new Xbox One bundled with Kinect 2.0, and two games I didn't even want was somehow CHEAPER than buying one without any of it.

It couldn't hear me from 6 feet away. It couldn't hear me from 4 feet away. Not three fee—

Ugh. I'm repeating myself. lol

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread