Which fan led to the Space section in Halo Reach? (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:10 (1379 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:08

CM: Was this how the space ship section came about?

CA: It actually… the original start from that… one of the original designers had broken something in Halo 3. There was a bug someone found in Halo 3 where they could take a Banshee and just fly up into space. They just started flying up, and it went through the atmosphere into space.

CM: This was someone at Bungie, or a random fan who liked to trick the game?

CA: A random fan. Someone made a video of it. We saw this video where rendered behind the sky in Halo 3 was space. Space is actually rendered there. Wouldn't it be cool if we could take advantage of that?

CM: See now I have to go down the rabbit hole to find that video.

Anybody know which vid this is? Whoever it was, you're a legend.

Pretty sure this happened in the Halo-3 Beta on Valhalla.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:31 (1379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:32 (1379 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

So this is the first?

by squidnh3, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:36 (1379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Here's the HBO news post:
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=18746

Here's the only working YouTube video linked by that post:

Thanks man!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 17:37 (1379 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

One More Angle

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 22:38 (1378 days ago) @ squidnh3

;-)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, July 24, 2020, 10:13 (1371 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The most amazing part of that for me is that the sky slowly turns from blue to black as altitude increases. I love that it's not just a blue skybox with space behind it and someone coded that natural transition. I assume it was for a campaign scene, but I'm not sure what. The big fall?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 24, 2020, 11:20 (1371 days ago) @ Vortech

The most amazing part of that for me is that the sky slowly turns from blue to black as altitude increases. I love that it's not just a blue skybox with space behind it and someone coded that natural transition. I assume it was for a campaign scene, but I'm not sure what. The big fall?

They wanted actual atmospheric scattering for distances, so they needed black behind the air of the sky to make it look right. Just like how we have black behind our atmosphere.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, July 24, 2020, 12:35 (1371 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I get what's happening. The amazing part to me is they put the work in.

Geez, I remember that video. Wait... that was HOW long ago!?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:02 (1379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Thirteen years man… thirteen years.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:05 (1379 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:05 (1379 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

LOL!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:15 (1379 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 16, 2020, 18:46 (1379 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

The index is in the AI. AND THE AI IS WITH HIM!!!!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread