Do we need more reasons to dislike Blizzard? (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 11:56 (1360 days ago)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-03/blizzard-workers-share-salaries-in-revolt-over-wage-disparities

In 2018 messages on internal Blizzard communication channels reviewed by Bloomberg News, employees talked about money-saving measures they’ve taken to remain with the company. One employee wrote that they had to skip meals to pay rent and that they used the company’s free coffee as an appetite suppressant. Another said they would only eat oatmeal and bail on team lunches because they couldn’t afford to buy food at the company cafeteria. A third said they and their partner stopped talking about having kids because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Blizzard doesn't pay a living wage.

Do we need more reasons to dislike Blizzard?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 12:23 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you have any data at all on how Blizzard's salaries stack up against other game companies? Or other tech jobs? Or... well, anything?

I mean, I'm all for companies paying a living wage... but that's not really a thing in America (in general). Why pick on Blizzard, specifically, unless you can put this info in context?

(And no, the mention of one employee getting a pay raise by moving to Riot Games doesn't count as context.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 12:26 (1360 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Do you have any data at all on how Blizzard's salaries stack up against other game companies? Or other tech jobs? Or... well, anything?

Why do I need to?

People who have full time jobs at Blizzard can't get by. If other game companies do that too, that's wrong as well. But Blizzard is the only company so far for which the employees compiled a document with their salaries to compare.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 12:46 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why do I need to?

People who have full time jobs at Blizzard can't get by. If other game companies do that too, that's wrong as well. But Blizzard is the only company so far for which the employees compiled a document with their salaries to compare.

Really? That's specifically what I asked - do you have other data outside of this article? Someone's gone through and queried game companies, and confirmed that nobody else is comparing salaries?

(That seems super unlikely to me. More likely is that you read this piece, which took shots at a company you don't like, and you decided to spread it, even though it does absolutely NOTHING by itself about putting its info into a more general context, and you decided you don't need to worry about that.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:11 (1360 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(That seems super unlikely to me. More likely is that you read this piece, which took shots at a company you don't like, and you decided to spread it, even though it does absolutely NOTHING by itself about putting its info into a more general context, and you decided you don't need to worry about that.)

Jack is out there being an asshole, but we don't know who ELSE is being an asshole, so we can't blame Jack!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:13 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Jack is out there being an asshole, but we don't know who ELSE is being an asshole, so we can't blame Jack!

I haven’t seen anything in this piece that proves to me that Jack is an asshole.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:15 (1360 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I haven’t seen anything in this piece that proves to me that Jack is an asshole.

And here we have the problem.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:26 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You’re making assumptions. I didn’t say that “Jack isn’t an asshole”... I said I don’t see proof.

When I was 19 and living on my own for the first time, my daily budget for food was $5 (Canadian). For reference, a McDonald’s combo meal at that time cost $6.95 Canadian, or there about. Does that make my employer an asshole? Well, no. I was working for them before I moved out on my own. The pay was fair given the demands of the job and my experience. I knew what I was making, yet I chose to rent an apartment I could barely afford because at that time the freedom of living on my own was more important to me than financial comfort or stability. I made that choice.

I need way more info about these people and their living situations before I know whether or not to blame their employer. How much are they spending on their cell phones every month? How many subscription services are they signed up for? The reality is many people SUCK with money and budgeting. Maybe the people featured in this article do, and maybe they don’t, but I don’t have nearly enough info to know either way.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:36 (1360 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You’re making assumptions. I didn’t say that “Jack isn’t an asshole”... I said I don’t see proof.

When I was 19 and living on my own for the first time, my daily budget for food was $5 (Canadian). For reference, a McDonald’s combo meal at that time cost $6.95 Canadian, or there about. Does that make my employer an asshole? Well, no. I was working for them before I moved out on my own. The pay was fair given the demands of the job and my experience. I knew what I was making, yet I chose to rent an apartment I could barely afford because at that time the freedom of living on my own was more important to me than financial comfort or stability. I made that choice.

I need way more info about these people and their living situations before I know whether or not to blame their employer. How much are they spending on their cell phones every month? How many subscription services are they signed up for? The reality is many people SUCK with money and budgeting. Maybe the people featured in this article do, and maybe they don’t, but I don’t have nearly enough info to know either way.

I had a really sarcastic response queued up for this post... I just wanna say that it wouldn't be much of an article if somebody was bad at budgeting. That's not how an anonymous list of salaries gets put together. Like "I spent $1000 on shoes this month and forgot to afford my lunches" doesn't jive with "let's analyze the pay disparities here"...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:06 (1360 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I had a really sarcastic response queued up for this post... I just wanna say that it wouldn't be much of an article if somebody was bad at budgeting. That's not how an anonymous list of salaries gets put together. Like "I spent $1000 on shoes this month and forgot to afford my lunches" doesn't jive with "let's analyze the pay disparities here"...

Yet there are people out there who are exactly like that. And if someone is writing an article to make a company look bad, they WOULD pick those people as evidence.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:28 (1360 days ago) @ kidtsunami

First of all, I just want to point out that “pay disparity” is not necessarily a problem. The 22 year old handling the company’s twitter account does not deserve to make the same amount of money as the lead sound designer, for example. There are obviously points where pay disparity can go too far and become damaging, but that’s one of those squishy things that is tough to pinpoint. I’ve worked with people who were great at their job and worked hard and deserved more than they made. I’ve also worked with people who were petty and jealous and always complained that they deserved more than they were making, even though they barely deserved what they were already getting. Just because someone says they deserve more money doesn’t mean they’re right. I’m not going to pass judgement either way if I’m not there to see it with my own eyes.

Also, it is perfectly reasonable to point out that people who don’t make much money are not always good at managing money. When I was younger, every single payday I’d go straight to the bar with my coworkers, and by the end of the night we’d all blown 30% of our paycheques. Beyond anecdotal experience, the data on lottery winners is super depressing. Most are right back where they started a year after winning, and some are far worse off because they used their temporary wealth to develop a nasty cocain addiction.

Again, I’m not arguing against these employees, nor am I defending Blizzard. I’m merely pointing out that we don’t have enough info to see the whole situation.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 07:28 (1359 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

First of all, I just want to point out that “pay disparity” is not necessarily a problem. The 22 year old handling the company’s twitter account does not deserve to make the same amount of money as the lead sound designer, for example. There are obviously points where pay disparity can go too far and become damaging, but that’s one of those squishy things that is tough to pinpoint. I’ve worked with people who were great at their job and worked hard and deserved more than they made. I’ve also worked with people who were petty and jealous and always complained that they deserved more than they were making, even though they barely deserved what they were already getting. Just because someone says they deserve more money doesn’t mean they’re right. I’m not going to pass judgement either way if I’m not there to see it with my own eyes.

Also, it is perfectly reasonable to point out that people who don’t make much money are not always good at managing money. When I was younger, every single payday I’d go straight to the bar with my coworkers, and by the end of the night we’d all blown 30% of our paycheques. Beyond anecdotal experience, the data on lottery winners is super depressing. Most are right back where they started a year after winning, and some are far worse off because they used their temporary wealth to develop a nasty cocain addiction.

Again, I’m not arguing against these employees, nor am I defending Blizzard. I’m merely pointing out that we don’t have enough info to see the whole situation.

Yeah I mean I think the article would have been better if they deep a proper analysis of the data, both contextualizing it in the context of the games industry and separating the signal from the noise.

I do want point out that it's unfair to respond to a pay disparity conversation by saying "The 22 year old handling the company’s twitter account does not deserve to make the same amount of money as the lead sound designer" because NO ONE IS SAYING THAT. We're saying the 22 year old handling the company's twitter account should be paid a living wage. At that point, we'd have to dig into the cost of living in Irvine and its surrounding areas, what the social media manager at Blizzard gets paid, and whether or not that's considered a "living wage". We don't have that, so we can't REALLY have that conversation here beyond me asserting "I think everyone at Blizzard should be paid a living wage, and I mean EVERYONE, facilities staff included" and you either agreeing or disagreeing with that.

I think Cody's subject did a disservice to the discussion even if I agree with him on the core topic.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 09:06 (1359 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I do want point out that it's unfair to respond to a pay disparity conversation by saying "The 22 year old handling the company’s twitter account does not deserve to make the same amount of money as the lead sound designer" because NO ONE IS SAYING THAT. We're saying the 22 year old handling the company's twitter account should be paid a living wage. At that point, we'd have to dig into the cost of living in Irvine and its surrounding areas, what the social media manager at Blizzard gets paid, and whether or not that's considered a "living wage". We don't have that, so we can't REALLY have that conversation here beyond me asserting "I think everyone at Blizzard should be paid a living wage, and I mean EVERYONE, facilities staff included" and you either agreeing or disagreeing with that.

I think Cody's subject did a disservice to the discussion even if I agree with him on the core topic.

I agree with him on the core topic as well. I just don't think there is enough information on either side of the subject to really make a debate. Like, I would play devils advocate but I can't!

Yeah

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 10:03 (1359 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I agree with him on the core topic as well. I just don't think there is enough information on either side of the subject to really make a debate. Like, I would play devils advocate but I can't!

For my latest post I reviewed the article in question again and it really doesn't do the topic justice and unfortunately some of the complaints people had are incendiary/salacious which makes it easy to have here a blustery thread of people arguing past each other.

+1

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:04 (1360 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:39 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Where, in this thread, has ANYONE suggested that we can't blame Jack?

I asked you to put your pitchfork-rousing in context. Rather than do so, you're putting words in my mouth that I never said.

How did you expect this to go?

Best case scenario, we all say "holy shit, that Blizzard is a shitty company!"

Many of us thought that before. (You clearly did, given the subject line of your first post.) What has changed?

You get people to act by showing them injustice. If EVERY company treats workers the same way, and it's a bad way, picking an example and starting with them is somewhat arbitrary and unfair. You should look for ways to change the SYSTEM, not take down individual parts. If only ONE company is treating its workers horribly, then maybe you have a point going after that company - but you do that by saying "here's what other companies are doing, here's what the bad company is doing, let's make them change!"

You're being arbitrary and unfair. I'm asking you to address the bigger picture, but you'd rather point at me and say "he's not helping!" than to actually come up with any real data.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:50 (1360 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Once again.

The games industry in general is terrible. You're right in that Blizzard is not the only company being terrible. But right now I'm talking about Blizzard. We're focusing on that. I don't have to make a post that addresses every single way every other company is sucky. They're being "singled out" because Bloomberg just wrote a piece on why they specifically are shitty.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:54 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Once again.

The games industry in general is terrible. You're right in that Blizzard is not the only company being terrible. But right now I'm talking about Blizzard. We're focusing on that. I don't have to make a post that addresses every single way every other company is sucky. They're being "singled out" because Bloomberg just wrote a piece on why they specifically are shitty.

Okay. We'll put aside that I wasn't asking you to categorize every single way every other company is sucky (just whether the pay problems in this article are Blizzard-specific, or industry-wide)... and I'll say if that's the conversation you want to have, go for it. I'll be somewhere else, working, so that I can pay my mortgage, because that particular conversation isn't really interesting to me. ;)

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:56 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But right now I'm talking about Blizzard. We're focusing on that. I don't have to make a post that addresses every single way every other company is sucky. They're being "singled out" because Bloomberg just wrote a piece on why they specifically are shitty.

Okay then, so what's the point of the post? Why should I care? I don't work at Blizzard.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:00 (1360 days ago) @ squidnh3

But right now I'm talking about Blizzard. We're focusing on that. I don't have to make a post that addresses every single way every other company is sucky. They're being "singled out" because Bloomberg just wrote a piece on why they specifically are shitty.

Okay then, so what's the point of the post? Why should I care? I don't work at Blizzard.

You're not in prison cutting boards for Texas Instruments either, but that doesn't mean you can't want it to not happen.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:02 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're not in prison cutting boards for Texas Instruments either, but that doesn't mean you can't want it to not happen.

People that work at Blizzard (probably) aren't prisoners. If they want better compensation, great, make it happen.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:26 (1360 days ago) @ squidnh3

Seems to me like talking to journalists highlighting the issue IS trying to make it happen.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:42 (1360 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Seems to me like talking to journalists highlighting the issue IS trying to make it happen.

You're right. Posting in this thread was a dumb idea. I just find the idea of asking others to flip out over this a little unsettling - if the people affected by this issue recognize it and are continuing to work at fixing it, does it cheapen the idea of flipping out under similar circumstances when the people affected are less empowered?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:48 (1360 days ago) @ squidnh3

You're right. Posting in this thread was a dumb idea. I just find the idea of asking others to flip out over this a little unsettling - if the people affected by this issue recognize it and are continuing to work at fixing it, does it cheapen the idea of flipping out under similar circumstances when the people affected are less empowered?

Do with this information what you will. That's all it is. Knowledge.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 15:38 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do with this information what you will. That's all it is. Knowledge.

And I would have had far less of a reaction to your post if this is what the title was :D

One of the main issues here IS Cody's Post Subject...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 06:57 (1359 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:38 (1360 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I mean, I'm all for companies paying a living wage... but that's not really a thing in America (in general). Why pick on Blizzard, specifically, unless you can put this info in context?

(And no, the mention of one employee getting a pay raise by moving to Riot Games doesn't count as context.)

I think this is fair. A better analysis would contextualize it in the relatively bad labor practices throughout the games industry. It's a shame that Blizzard isn't terribly different from other developers.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 12:29 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by MacAddictXIV, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:14

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-03/blizzard-workers-share-salaries-in-revolt-over-wage-disparities

In 2018 messages on internal Blizzard communication channels reviewed by Bloomberg News, employees talked about money-saving measures they’ve taken to remain with the company. One employee wrote that they had to skip meals to pay rent and that they used the company’s free coffee as an appetite suppressant. Another said they would only eat oatmeal and bail on team lunches because they couldn’t afford to buy food at the company cafeteria. A third said they and their partner stopped talking about having kids because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Disparage between higher ups and others? I can see that. Problems? Sure. But that mostly feels like a slam piece. I have no doubt it's not the best studio to work for. However the quote is just stupid.

1. One employee wrote that they had to skip meals to pay rent and that they used the company’s free coffee as an appetite suppressant.

Why the heck did you take a job where you can't pay rent and afford food? Because nothing in that article says that they decreased anyones wages. So the only other case is that their rent went up. Blame your landlord and where you live, not your job that you chose.

2. Another said they would only eat oatmeal and bail on team lunches because they couldn’t afford to buy food at the company cafeteria.

Hey I know, make a sandwich and not oatmeal. Can't afford a home made sandwich? Them maybe you really need to think about your priorities in life. A company cafeteria to me is a luxury.

3. A third said they and their partner stopped talking about having kids because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Yeah, cause kids are #$%@ing expensive. They also happen to be pretty cheap depending on how you do it. People have really high standards these days.

I'm all for equal wages, but I hate pieces that make it sound like these employees are 1800s orphans on a street corner. They made choices when they took the job, and yes they should be paid more, I think? But this article makes it sound like their hand was forced by some evil corporation.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 12:30 (1360 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Why the heck did you take a job where you can't pay rent and afford food? Because nothing in that article says that they decreased anyones wages.

Read it again:

One veteran Blizzard employee told Bloomberg News they received a raise of less than 50 cents an hour. They are making less now than they did almost a decade ago because they are working fewer overtime hours than they did back then.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 12:40 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by MacAddictXIV, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:17

Why the heck did you take a job where you can't pay rent and afford food? Because nothing in that article says that they decreased anyones wages.

Read it again:

One veteran Blizzard employee told Bloomberg News they received a raise of less than 50 cents an hour. They are making less now than they did almost a decade ago because they are working fewer overtime hours than they did back then.

Is he Salary? Is he Hourly? I have no idea. And that does make a difference. This isn't even the same guy, this is just an example of a low raise.

This guy could make 200k a year, but because he is a manager that has to put in more hours. It could literally be 2 hours more a week.

I'm not saying that the wages are in a bad situation. But this article is cherry picking situations without any contextual data to back it up. It's like a said, a slam piece. You don't vilify a company if you have nothing to support it with other than anonymous stories.

Could Blizzard be Scrooge's that are milking their employees? Sure they could be, but there is no evidence in this article at all other than the higher ups are making a lot of money.

[Edit]

I just realized after reading Cruel's reply that this said less hours and not more.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:13 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Read it again:

Isn’t that a good thing according to you? They’re crunching less, right? Well guess what... fewer hours = less money. I worked fewer hours per week after my kids were born. I didn’t go complaining to the press that I was making less money than I used to.

+1 to all of this

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:11 (1360 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Ditto!

by Quirel, Friday, August 07, 2020, 11:29 (1357 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

*Goes back to lurking*

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:31 (1360 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Disparage between higher ups and others? I can see that. Problems? Sure. But that mostly feels like a slam piece. I have no doubt it's not the best studio to work for. However the quote is just stupid.

1. One employee wrote that they had to skip meals to pay rent and that they used the company’s free coffee as an appetite suppressant.

Why the heck did you take a job where you can't pay rent and afford food? Because nothing in that article says that they decreased anyones wages. So the only other case is that their rent went up. Blame your landlord and where you live, not your job that you chose.

I'm a little flummoxed at what blaming the landlord would accomplish in this case.

2. Another said they would only eat oatmeal and bail on team lunches because they couldn’t afford to buy food at the company cafeteria.

Hey I know, make a sandwich and not oatmeal. Can't afford a home made sandwich? Them maybe you really need to think about your priorities in life. A company cafeteria to me is a luxury.

Maybe expectations at the job don't give them an opportunity to bring in a home-made sandwich every day.

3. A third said they and their partner stopped talking about having kids because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Yeah, cause kids are #$%@ing expensive. They also happen to be pretty cheap depending on how you do it. People have really high standards these days.

I'm all for equal wages, but I hate pieces that make it sound like these employees are 1800s orphans on a street corner. They made choices when they took the job, and yes they should be paid more, I think? But this article makes it sound like their hand was forced by some evil corporation.

1800s orphans on street corners weren't debating with their partners about whether or not they could have kids... I think the article is a bit sensationalist, especially considering Activision, a company that allegedly wanted to get Foie Gras out of Bungie, is an easy target as an evil corporation, but I don't think the responses here should respond in kind.

At the end of the day, it DOES sound like they have a massive pay disparity and that it's affecting morale. This is not some random indie dev scraping by on savings, this is Activision Blizzard we're talking about, and I think if they have employees are avoiding having kids because they don't feel financial stable enough, that it's fair to say maybe they aren't getting paid enough at the multi-billion dollar a year business.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:46 (1360 days ago) @ kidtsunami

At the end of the day, it DOES sound like they have a massive pay disparity and that it's affecting morale. This is not some random indie dev scraping by on savings, this is Activision Blizzard we're talking about, and I think if they have employees are avoiding having kids because they don't feel financial stable enough, that it's fair to say maybe they aren't getting paid enough at the multi-billion dollar a year business.

I agree with this. But my original question still stands, because nobody's come close to addressing it yet:

Is Blizzard an outlier when it comes to employee compensation, or is there a problem with the industry in general? If the latter... how does getting mad at Blizzard help anyone?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:52 (1360 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I agree with this. But my original question still stands, because nobody's come close to addressing it yet:

Is Blizzard an outlier when it comes to employee compensation, or is there a problem with the industry in general? If the latter... how does getting mad at Blizzard help anyone?

Because:

1. Blizzard is one of the largest and most recognizable gaming companies.
2. They are based in California, where Union protections are strong should they decide to unionize.
3. If that happens, the dominos can fall for the rest of the industry.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:02 (1360 days ago) @ kidtsunami

1800s orphans on street corners weren't debating with their partners about whether or not they could have kids... I think the article is a bit sensationalist, especially considering Activision, a company that allegedly wanted to get Foie Gras out of Bungie, is an easy target as an evil corporation, but I don't think the responses here should respond in kind.

I used that statement in reference to the article, not the actual people. Which for all I know is made up. Coming from this article I honestly don't know what is made up or fact because it doesn't really cite anything relevant about the employees. Even what Cody quoted wasn't even quoted from the employees.

So at the end of the day it does sounds like they COULD have a massive pay disparity, but from that article there is nothing to back that up. So until I see some sort of numbers or actual quotes from employees I'm going to assume it's a slam piece.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:07 (1360 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Coming from this article I honestly don't know what is made up or fact

Yes, because Bloomberg is known for its tabloid journalism and fake news.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:13 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As someone who doesn't read bloomberg, I can only take that article at face value. And at face value, there is no evidence to make me believe it's as bad as that article is saying it might be. I honestly don't know how bad it is. That are so many variables involved in that and they haven't shown me a single one.

Am I supposed to just start hating Blizzard/Activision based only on the fact that Bloomberg have good journalism? That is just one more reason why America just believes everything they see, people are shit at fact checking. But I digress that is a huge side conversation.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:14 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If the article doesn’t provide the info necessary to reach the conclusions being presented, and Mac is questioning it while you choose to take it on faith, which one of you is thinking critically? (Hint: it isn’t you ;p)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:21 (1360 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If the article doesn’t provide the info necessary to reach the conclusions being presented, and Mac is questioning it while you choose to take it on faith, which one of you is thinking critically? (Hint: it isn’t you ;p)

Oh really, because I choose to believe an investigative reporter working for a major publication with a reputation to uphold, versus someone on the internet who conducted no investigation of their own?

Yeah, I'm the one not thinking critically.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 15:17 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Weeelllllllllllllll

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:04 (1360 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm a little flummoxed at what blaming the landlord would accomplish in this case.

Maybe expectations at the job don't give them an opportunity to bring in a home-made sandwich every day.

Not making enough money to raise kids is a serious problem, and increasingly more so over time. But on the flip side, the majority of people throughout human history lived on so little money that we today can’t even comprehend it, yet they managed to raise families and survive through hardships far worse than we typically encounter in modern times. I’m not defending companies for under-paying their employees, just pointing out that a lot of people these days love to say they “can’t afford” things that people have done with far less for hundreds of thousands of years. Growing up with the expectation that our lives should be at least as comfortable as our parents’ is a thoroughly modern luxury.

Back to the point though, I think the sticking point here for some of us is that this piece and Cody are steamrolling over questions like “are these people’s wages comparable to similar positions at other companies across the industry?”. Because if their wages are roughly on par with industry standards, that means they’re predictable. Which means people can and should know what they’re getting into before taking these jobs.

Obviously, that doesn’t directly address the question of whether or not these people should be paid more for the work they’re doing, but I hesitate to even go there because it’s impossible to answer. We don’t have enough info. Maybe blizzard can and should pay them more. Or maybe if they increased wages, they’d have to cut their work force by 5-10%. Would that be better, or worse?

Personally, I just find it useless to get all outraged by the idea that a mega corporation is acting greedy. Like, OF COURSE THEY ARE. That doesn’t mean it’s ok, but what do people think they’re going to do, rid the world of every vice that exists? These employees are adults who willingly took jobs. They got themselves into it. If they’re being unfairly treated, they can leave. Of course, that means they’d have to go fund new jobs, and that’s freaking tough these days, but that’s the world we’re living in right now and it’s the challenge we’re all facing. I sympathize with anyone and everyone facing these challenges (this lockdown cost me my job and home, so I know well enough that times can be tough) but there’s a whiny and entitled undertone to arguments like the one Cody is trying to make that I find simply unhelpful. Every time my financial situation has improved, it’s because I stood in front of my boss and argued that I was worth more money, and my work performance compelled them to agree. There are times where I tried to make that argument, and my boss didn’t agree. So I left those jobs and went elsewhere. We’re all ultimately responsible for our own career choices. And when we end up in unfair situations, some of us complain, and others actually DO something about it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:18 (1360 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not making enough money to raise kids is a serious problem, and increasingly more so over time. But on the flip side, the majority of people throughout human history lived on so little money that we today can’t even comprehend it, yet they managed to raise families and survive through hardships far worse than we typically encounter in modern times.

Because people in the past had a hard existence, we in the future should too! Maybe we could… progress?!

I’m not defending companies for under-paying their employees, just pointing out that a lot of people these days love to say they “can’t afford” things that people have done with far less for hundreds of thousands of years. Growing up with the expectation that our lives should be at least as comfortable as our parents’ is a thoroughly modern luxury.

The idea of your life being comfortable is literally the entire point behind civilization in the first place. The idea is at least 18,000 years old, not a 'modern luxury'. It's been a driving force behind every generation: "My kids will have it better than I do."

Back to the point though, I think the sticking point here for some of us is that this piece and Cody are steamrolling over questions like “are these people’s wages comparable to similar positions at other companies across the industry?”. Because if their wages are roughly on par with industry standards, that means they’re predictable. Which means people can and should know what they’re getting into before taking these jobs.

Does it matter what other companies do?! If YOU don't pay your employees a living wage, YOU are in the wrong. That is a choice YOU can make.

Personally, I just find it useless to get all outraged by the idea that a mega corporation is acting greedy. Like, OF COURSE THEY ARE. That doesn’t mean it’s ok, but what do people think they’re going to do, rid the world of every vice that exists? These employees are adults who willingly took jobs. They got themselves into it. If they’re being unfairly treated, they can leave.

You have people saying they can't even make ends meet WHILE WORKING THERE. How can they afford to LEAVE?! You don't get unemployment if you quit. COBRA for healthcare is expensive (and you have to apply, and can even be denied!).

I sympathize with anyone and everyone facing these challenges (this lockdown cost me my job and home, so I know well enough that times can be tough) but there’s a whiny and entitled undertone to arguments like the one Cody is trying to make that I find simply unhelpful.

The people who are working full time but can't make ends meet would not find it unhelpful at all. I've stood on the picket line for people who wanted a decent wage and working conditions before, and every time they've been called entitled. And yet, every time they've gotten what they've struck for.

Every time my financial situation has improved, it’s because I stood in front of my boss and argued that I was worth more money, and my work performance compelled them to agree. There are times where I tried to make that argument, and my boss didn’t agree. So I left those jobs and went elsewhere. We’re all ultimately responsible for our own career choices. And when we end up in unfair situations, some of us complain, and others actually DO something about it.

The old "Just work harder" excuse.

Let's save some time

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 15:58 (1360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would have thought this would have been something worth talking about but I was wrong.
This thread has become massive and it almost entirely boils down to 3 responses:

#NotAllGameCompanies

I honestly don't know why this matters. Is it that you are not allowed to care because it's only at one game company? I'd think having a specific well-defined target would make something more actionable. Is it the opposite? Is the point that the problem is so widespread that it makes no sense to care about any specific company? Well, the journey of a thousand steps and all that, right? Blizzard is surely a significant chunk of the game industry. It seems like the point is just that this is not a scope of the topic that will be allowed. I don't know what could be said to make this a good conversation.

If people are not being paid enough it is their own fault / I believe in companies more than workers / Look at my bootstraps / This Calvin guy has some good ideas

Yeah, I dunno. I could try to describe the enormous disparity in negotiating power, the crumbling of social institutions designed to create a fair playing field, the generational loss of employment as a aspect of a life, not the center of health and identity, the fusing of corporate and political interests… Or I could try to come up with analogous situations you have a less immediate bounce back to when you hear them — all of it victim blaming across a range of spheres, I suppose — but none of them seem any more likely calm things down and set the scene for open-minded conversation.

I don't care [because X is not proven by this story] and you have done a really terrible job of addressing my goalposts, which I announced after your post.

The story will not change to provide new evidence or angles no matter how much we post here. Cody didn't write it. If you want to talk about related topics that seems great, but so far these type of posts only seem interested in talking about how bad it is that Cody or this article didn't talk about related topics.

--------------

The fact that I can summarize all of this with nothing but references to other dumpster fires of people talking past each other throughout history should hopefully make my point. This is like a thread on climate change where every response is only interested in arguing about what ISN'T in the article and every poster is either unconvinced there is a problem, or unconvinced they should care about the problem.

This has become contentious and lopsided as hell, and yet nobody is listening to what anyone else wants to be heard saying, so let's all just drop it and hope things work out in a way that allows people to find some happiness whether they work at blizzard or post here.

+1

by yakaman, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 17:20 (1360 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Let's save some time

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 23:04 (1359 days ago) @ Vortech

I don't think that's a very fair summary of the arguments.

My point, from the very first post I made, was this:

If this is an indication of a problem in the gaming industry as a whole, I find it an interesting conversation. If it's just another example of why we should hate Blizzard, I don't really care.

You can try and spin that as me being nitpicky about the language, or me being uncaring towards workers, or me trying to deflect from a real issue... but it's really none of those things. It's Cody coming in here with a pretty-light-on-facts article, and attempting to draw some pretty wide-ranging conclusions from it, and me not being willing to be drawn into that kind of conversation. I don't particularly like Blizzard, I don't need another article telling me how much they suck as a company. I didn't learn anything that shocked me enough to get out of my chair and picket for Blizzard employees, that's for sure.

I think the question of whether the gaming industry, as a whole, is fair or unfair to its workers is an interesting question, and probably worth discussing here (if there's enough interest from others). I think the question of whether Blizzard sucks or not isn't.

And while it's absolutely fine to come in here and discuss whether Blizzard sucks or not... it's also absolutely fine for me to say "I'm not interested" and not participate. (I participated at first because I thought that there was a CHANCE that we were going to have the wider discussion. I left when it was clear we weren't.)

Gee, I wonder if there are any new posts on DB...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 21:05 (1359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...Ohhhhoh. O_O

[image]

My Exact Reaction. lmao

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 22:29 (1359 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Gee, I wonder if there are any new posts on DB...

by DRT 034, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 23:48 (1359 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Funny, this thread is making me post in the first time since... maybe ever?

#CodyWasRight - no - #CodyISRight

But also, #ClaudeISRight.

The games industry sucks. As a whole, AND at Blizzard. Demonizing one piece doesn't really address the whole thing... but(!) it could be a start towards helping a lot of people.

*slinks back to shadowy corner*

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread