I finally beat Red Dead Redemption 2 (Gaming)

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, August 08, 2020, 11:42 (1355 days ago)

According to the Rock Star Social Club, my playtime was roughly 61 hours. I don't possibly see how that is accurate. It felt like much longer--not in a bad way. Perhaps that doesn't include time that I died and reverted to a checkpoint? I have no idea. I started playing in summer of 2019, took a long break, and started playing again around June of this year.

I finished the story with 85.6% completion. I did every main story mission and I tried to do every Stranger (white dot) mission I could; I was not able to complete the Marko Dragic stranger story thread. I mostly ignored the "challenges" etc and I only did 5 legendary animals (4 of which were this past week; I wish I had done them sooner for the leveling bonuses they grant.

This game had one of the best, most fleshed out storylines of any game I've played. Dutch has more presence that possibly any other character from a video game I've ever experienced.

The world is beautiful and detailed.

The game definitely has some flaws--wonky and/or confusing controls primary among them--but by the end, it was all worth it.

Just curious how many people here started the game and finished it? Or never finished it?

I finally beat Red Dead Redemption 2

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, August 08, 2020, 15:18 (1355 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I finished it, although took a good long break in Chapter 3 before I went back. That game is long. Like you, I don’t think it’s necessarily long in a bad way, but it is long. The island chapter wasn’t good at all, but loved everything else.

I loved the game. It’s gorgeous. I honestly stop kind of can’t believe how good it looks. I also loved the story. Arthur is such a well considered character, and I did like seeing Dutch’s decent. I also enjoyed the use of John throughout the game. I loved the epilogue.

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, August 09, 2020, 09:56 (1354 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The island chapter wasn’t good at all, but loved everything else.

Yeah, totally agree with this. I think after that segment was when I stopped playing and took a long break.

I like how the epilogue really drove home the "it's a changing world" message of the game.

by Simpsons Rule @, Sunday, August 09, 2020, 12:53 (1354 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I never played Red Dead Redemption 1 but I absolutely loved it. One of my all-time favorite video game campaigns. My only regret is that I didn't have a good checkpoint saved up pre-tuberculosis. The epilogue is fine but I would've preferred to have the option to run around as Arthur again. It was as close to a perfect game as I've ever played.

-SR

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 11:55 (1352 days ago) @ Simpsons Rule

My only regret is that I didn't have a good checkpoint saved up pre-tuberculosis.

Totally understandable. That story twist took me by surprise and I didn't even think to keep a save file from before. I knew this game was large, though, and I was playing with the express purpose of making it through the story.

The game world does open up after the epilogue and you can do all the challenges and stuff still, but then you're not playing as Arthur anymore... So I understand where you're coming from.

It's in my queue.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, August 10, 2020, 07:16 (1353 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I'll probably play it or Control next... I'm working on The Outer Worlds right now and I don't know if I need another open(ish) world in a row. Not to mention it might push into early winter when all the good stuff comes out :D

I won't be waiting to finish RDR2 so that I can play CyberPunk 2077 for example...

But I am looking forward to play this game.

Ditto.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 10, 2020, 10:39 (1353 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Ditto.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, August 10, 2020, 10:47 (1353 days ago) @ Kermit

How are doing with The Last of Us 2?

Ditto.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 10, 2020, 12:22 (1353 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I thought you'd ask. :) I put it down for now. Other stuff going on. Not playing much of anything--except that recent Halo jag. Need comfort food for the moment. I'll get back to it very soon.

It's in my queue.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, August 10, 2020, 10:54 (1353 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Definitely play Control next. It’s a fantastic game. It’s also fairly short. You can do everything in that game in like 30 hours, and a straight play through of the story with a little bit of side stuff on the way is like 15 or less.

Questions about Red Dead Redemption 2

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, August 10, 2020, 15:10 (1353 days ago) @ marmot 1333

According to the Rock Star Social Club, my playtime was roughly 61 hours. I don't possibly see how that is accurate. It felt like much longer--not in a bad way. Perhaps that doesn't include time that I died and reverted to a checkpoint? I have no idea. I started playing in summer of 2019, took a long break, and started playing again around June of this year.

I finished the story with 85.6% completion. I did every main story mission and I tried to do every Stranger (white dot) mission I could; I was not able to complete the Marko Dragic stranger story thread. I mostly ignored the "challenges" etc and I only did 5 legendary animals (4 of which were this past week; I wish I had done them sooner for the leveling bonuses they grant.

This game had one of the best, most fleshed out storylines of any game I've played. Dutch has more presence that possibly any other character from a video game I've ever experienced.

The world is beautiful and detailed.

The game definitely has some flaws--wonky and/or confusing controls primary among them--but by the end, it was all worth it.

Just curious how many people here started the game and finished it? Or never finished it?

I've never started it. I wanted to wait until I could afford a "Higher Tier" Xbox. By now that means I'm waiting for "Next Gen", presuming I can even afford it with all the everything happening right now.

• Would playing the first Red Dead Redemption help with the enjoyment of Red Dead Redemption 2? (A rather classic question.)
  • Is the Single Player merged with Online or are they separate modes? (I've seen some videos of griefing.)
  • Is this essentially an "outlaw" game, GTA Western Style?

Thank you. ^_^

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 11:52 (1352 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by marmot 1333, Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 11:56

[*]Would playing the first Red Dead Redemption help with the enjoyment of Red Dead Redemption 2? (A rather classic question.)

I had played a little bit of the first one. I don't believe you need to have played the first one at all to get a lot out of this one.

[*]Is the Single Player merged with Online or are they separate modes? (I've seen some videos of griefing.)

Completely separate.

[*] Is this essentially an "outlaw" game, GTA Western Style?

Storywise, this games is easily Rockstar's most emotionally mature game. Yes, it is a Western game set in a Western world, populated primarily by an outlaw gang, and you often will fight other outlaws. That being said, it isn't a generic outlaw game or a reductive western story. The world is interesting and exciting; it lives on the cusp of modern technological progress, often referred to as "civilization" in the game's dialogue. In other words, sometimes you see telephone poles.
Mechanically, the game is handled in a similar way as GTA. Weapons handle as you may expect, there is a "weapon wheel" to choose guns and items, etc.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 08:27 (1351 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

No offense to marmot (love ya, bud), but I'd listen to someone who has played both to completion regarding playing the first RDR first. Knowing that John Marston has a role in RDR2 makes it more compelling to me, and there are probably many callbacks. By my own definition, I'm not someone you should listen to, but I can verify that RDR1 is well worth your time.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 08:29 (1351 days ago) @ Kermit

Playing RDR1 certainly enhances RDR2. I obviously can’t ever experience RDR2 with no knowledge of the first, but I’d say that game holds up extremely well on its own.

If you want to play RDR1, do so. It’s a great game. I would not say it’s necessary, however.

Thanks all.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 08:52 (1351 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 08:53 (1351 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd listen to someone who has played both to completion regarding playing the first RDR first.

That's fair. After I responded to the question, I realized that I generalized the question to "Do I NEED to play the first one first?", and I feel qualified to give an answer to that question :)

I played a decent bit of the first RDR, probably 8 to 9 years ago, but I don't remember a lot of the story details of the game.

I never beat it because there was one mission I kept failing until I just rage quit: You had to ride your horse for 10 minutes during exposition and then chase a guy? shoot a guy? I can't remember now--but I kept insta-failing the mission and the checkpoint was extremely harsh on my time. It was taking me 10 to 15 minutes each attempt to fail this mission.

Luckily Rockstar became a lot more forgiving in their savepoints / ability to skip sections once you failed them a lot starting in GTAV and continuing in RDR2.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread