Destiny 2 - Brief PC review (Destiny)

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, August 18, 2020, 17:32 (1317 days ago)

Hey strangers!

Hope all is well in these trying times. I've been lurking from time to time. I see Cody is still fighting the fights (stay strong Cody!). Hope all is well in these trying times.

I recently got the urge to play some Destiny 2. I tried on console for a few hours - but fell back into pointing out things I did not like. I took a leap and downloaded Free D2 on steam. So far I am really impressed. I almost want to say its a completely different game. Its not, but the way it runs somehow snagged me back into playing. That says alot when I coming off platinuming a game like Ghost of Tsushima.

I am a little bummed my expacs do not transfer to PC, but I get it. Right now im just enjoying the free stuff - I know I can do the cross save if i so choose.
I'm a little hard pressed to spend money with Beyond light around the corner and even thats further down my list than the PS5 and Cyberpunk.

After about 6 fun hours of playing here are some brief thoughts:

LOAD TIMES - are almost non existent. Im halfway through with a strike before my PS4 can get to character select. Obviously my PC has more power in every regard, but D2 load times on console are bad by any comparison.

Movement - I felt character movement was sluggish on console. It still feels slower on PC than other games I'm used to, but more liberating than on console. This is using controller on both. I tried KB&M but meh, I use one all day at work.

Menu Navigation - Menus are not a dread to navigate with the mouse. it allows me to seamless go from controller to mouse. No more dragggggging the cursor across the screen just to change a gun. Also menus load near instantly with gear shown. No more spinning gear wheels.

Visuals - D2 is good looking on both honestly. But the PC is smoother by a long shot. I should state my PC is 4k capable but I do not have a 4k monitor. I do have a 144hz with 1 ms response time.

Hit me up on PC if you'd like!

Destiny 2 - Brief PC review

by squidnh3, Thursday, August 20, 2020, 11:45 (1316 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Movement - I felt character movement was sluggish on console. It still feels slower on PC than other games I'm used to, but more liberating than on console. This is using controller on both. I tried KB&M but meh, I use one all day at work.

Is part of this the increased FOV? Whenever I see videos of Destiny on PC that's always the thing that strikes me the most, it looks like they are playing in a fishbowl compared to console. I see a lot of requests on Reddit for a FOV slider for Destiny on the next generation consoles, but I'm not really sure how I feel about that (or how Bungie feels about it). It seems like to be competitive you really have to max it out whether you like it or not.

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, August 20, 2020, 12:17 (1316 days ago) @ squidnh3

Is part of this the increased FOV? Whenever I see videos of Destiny on PC that's always the thing that strikes me the most, it looks like they are playing in a fishbowl compared to console. I see a lot of requests on Reddit for a FOV slider for Destiny on the next generation consoles, but I'm not really sure how I feel about that (or how Bungie feels about it). It seems like to be competitive you really have to max it out whether you like it or not.

I think that is a big part yes. I have only brought it from the PC default of 85 to 90 so far, and I could notice a difference. Another thing I like about the FOV is the extra details you can see. I can see more of my hands and the weapons on PC, on console those details are only seen when you reload.

Adding it on console would be a great win for me based on my limited FOV experience. I played alot of Apex legends on default video settings for many months before a friend recommended I turn up the FOV. I was skeptical about performance but PS4 PRO handled it fine on the max FOV setting. My K/D ratio increased a good amount as a result. Movement felt better as well, which was surprising as Apex has some of the most liberating movement systems of any FPS I have played.
And again - I got to see more weapon detail on Apex as well. In a growing world of cosmetics/shaders/skins being able to see more weapon detail than we have now just makes sense to me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 20, 2020, 12:42 (1316 days ago) @ squidnh3

The Marathon "Extravision" powerup would increase your FOV to 180 degree. It was rarely found, but also strangely enough rarely desired :-p

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, August 20, 2020, 12:47 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Marathon "Extravision" powerup would increase your FOV to 180 degree. It was rarely found, but also strangely enough rarely desired :-p

Yea im sure 180 would be freaking terrible. Going from 70 > 100 can have benefits.

Yeah, I don't like it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 21, 2020, 07:08 (1315 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread