DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 09:24 (1318 days ago)

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 10:18 (1318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was trying my best not to get my hopes sky high for this movie, but mission failed.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 10:49 (1318 days ago) @ squidnh3
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 10:59

I was trying my best not to get my hopes sky high for this movie, but mission failed.

The hype must flow.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 10:50 (1318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hype is the mind killer.

FOMO is the mind killer.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 11:12 (1318 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Hype is the mind killer.

FOMO is the mind killer.

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.”

I mean automatically sign me up because it's Denis

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 10:46 (1318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 10:52 (1318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've not read the book and haven't seen the original movie. I know nothing of this world.

Is this the story of Kylo Ren?

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 11:19 (1318 days ago) @ ManKitten

I've not read the book and haven't seen the original movie. I know nothing of this world.

The Hollywood elevator pitch today would be "Game of Thrones in space (or at least on several planets)". Ironically GoT owes a lot to Dune, as I'm sure GRRM would tell anyone who asked.

The SF themes list is: far future, anti-technology with human ability substitution, rotten Empire with well-defined factions, focus on the human condition, ecology, and the fallacies of prophecy. It's an astonishing novel.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 11:23 (1318 days ago) @ squidnh3

The Hollywood elevator pitch today would be "Game of Thrones in space (or at least on several planets)". Ironically GoT owes a lot to Dune, as I'm sure GRRM would tell anyone who asked.

The SF themes list is: far future, anti-technology with human ability substitution, rotten Empire with well-defined factions, focus on the human condition, ecology, and the fallacies of prophecy. It's an astonishing novel.

Gotcha. Star Wars.

:P

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 11:34 (1318 days ago) @ ManKitten
edited by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 11:37

Gotcha. Star Wars.

Star Wars owes a lot to Dune as well (desert planet anyone?) but don't expect any of these staples of SW: space battles, willy-nilly laser gun shootouts, or laser sword battles. When people want to kill each other in Dune, they do it old-school, with knives.

And droids don't get served anywhere in the Dune universe, except maybe in the dark labs of Ix.

No aliens either, except some megafauna.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 11:38 (1318 days ago) @ squidnh3

Gotcha. Star Wars.

Star Wars owes a lot to Dune as well (desert planet anyone?) but don't expect any of these staples of SW: space battles, willy-nilly laser gun shootouts, or laser sword battles. When people want to kill each other in Dune, they do it old-school, with knives.

And droids don't get served anywhere in the Dune universe, except maybe in the dark labs of Ix.

No willy-nilly laser gun shootouts or laser sword battles? Gotta be honest, this Dune business sounds like a pretty rinky-dink operation.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 12:00 (1318 days ago) @ ManKitten

Gotcha. Star Wars.

No willy-nilly laser gun shootouts or laser sword battles? Gotta be honest, this Dune business sounds like a pretty rinky-dink operation.

When I was a kid I was into Dune way more than Star Wars. It's got a deeper story than Star Wars. There's a lot of world building. The later novels were hit or miss, but Dune itself I think is required reading if you like sci-fi. I was thinking about picking it back up since I haven't read it in probably 20 years. I should now so that I can be inevitably disappointed in the movie.

"The slow blade penetrates the shield."

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 12:39 (1318 days ago) @ ManKitten

Gotcha. Star Wars.

Could you imagine Darth Vader on the spice?!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 12:21 (1318 days ago) @ squidnh3

The sexy Game of Thrones stuff doesn't happen until a few books in. Duncan Idaho is so hot, he literally makes a woman orgasm by just climbing a hill.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

by squidnh3, Wednesday, September 09, 2020, 13:09 (1318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The sexy Game of Thrones stuff doesn't happen until a few books in. Duncan Idaho is so hot, he literally makes a woman orgasm by just climbing a hill.

To be fair, it's a cliff and she's super weird.

GoT should be so lucky

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 10, 2020, 05:49 (1317 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

This Is Dune, Right?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, September 10, 2020, 17:23 (1317 days ago) @ Cody Miller

seriously, what the hell is dune

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread