PS5–$399/$499 (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 16:17 (1316 days ago)

$399 for the one without the Blu Ray drive, $499 for the one with it.

Horizon: Forbidden West and Miles Morales are also coming to PS4 (so much for believing in generations, I guess). PS+ will now get you access to some select games that you’ve already played, and first party games are now $70.

Final Fantasy 16 was announced, as was that Harry Potter game that was leaked years ago.

There, I covered the PS conference for you.

PS5–$399/$499

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 16:32 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Horizon: Forbidden West and Miles Morales are also coming to PS4 (so much for believing in generations, I guess). PS+ will now get you access to some select games that you’ve already played, and first party games are now $70.

Final Fantasy 16 was announced, as was that Harry Potter game that was leaked years ago.

If the digital PS5 is JUST a disc-less PS5, I think that is a decent deal.

However, I honestly think Sony is losing HARD in the game department with Xbox's Game pass. But again, people have said that they play PS for very specific games. I was honestly expecting more games for the PS5 on launch after Xbox had the Halo debacle.

I mean, I'm already a Xboxer, but I still think there is way more value in Xbox + gamepass.

Bullshit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 17:04 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A 4K bluray drive doesn't cost 100 bucks.

Dammit, fuck off with all this bullshit to try to edge us into abandoning physical media.

That $300 Xbox was definitely a giant curveball

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 20:34 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 22:24 (1316 days ago) @ ZackDark

This just makes me want to buy every single PS5 game used, to make up the $100 difference and to stick it to them.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 22:30 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, giving them $500 is really sticking it to them! You going to set your Nikes on fire and smash your Keurig, too?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 22:41 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 22:45

Yeah, giving them $500 is really sticking it to them! You going to set your Nikes on fire and smash your Keurig, too?

Don't own any Nikes, nor do I drink coffee.

They are (eventually) getting my money. It's very fortunate there is a way around this super bullshit price gouge for a disc drive. Money is just money. But hey, they want to overcharge for a disc drive? Then they don't make any money off me with the games. Fair trade. Game Dude usually has used copies in a few days after launch.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:12 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They are (eventually) getting my money. It's very fortunate there is a way around this super bullshit price gouge for a disc drive. Money is just money. But hey, they want to overcharge for a disc drive?

I mean the other way to look at it is that they priced the PS5 the same as the Xbox, and gave a far more than justified 100 dollar discount for removing the disk drive, eating way into their profit (loss) margin on the console. Presumably someone inside made the argument that they will make more in the long tail from digital games sales then disc, but I think it was much more about having something within striking distance of the Xbox S's price point come holiday. I don't know how much the drive itself will change the overall market for physical/digital games (I suspect not much and they people are switching to digital for convenience factors anyway), but if it has a large effect, then prepare for used games to retain their value more.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:26 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

They are (eventually) getting my money. It's very fortunate there is a way around this super bullshit price gouge for a disc drive. Money is just money. But hey, they want to overcharge for a disc drive?

I mean the other way to look at it is that they priced the PS5 the same as the Xbox, and gave a far more than justified 100 dollar discount for removing the disk drive, eating way into their profit (loss) margin on the console.

That's not how it FEELS. It feels like they are charging 100 bucks for an optical drive.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 06:43 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A 4K bluray drive doesn't cost 100 bucks.

Dammit, fuck off with all this bullshit to try to edge us into abandoning physical media.

I think it's a combination of two things:

1. I've heard that Blue ray has legal stuff you have to pay for outside of the hardware, like a licensing fee.

2. Just because the disc drive is the only thing they are removing doesn't mean they aren't marking the digital PS5 down just to compete with Xbox.

So would you still be pissed if it was $50 disc drive + $25 license fee + $25 markdown?

Not just the disc drive

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:26 (1316 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

1. I've heard that Blue ray has legal stuff you have to pay for outside of the hardware, like a licensing fee.

But it's Sony's own licensing, no? It's not like they're paying someone else.

2. Just because the disc drive is the only thing they are removing doesn't mean they aren't marking the digital PS5 down just to compete with Xbox.

I 100% think it's almost all of it this. The timing between both showcases suggests, to me, they took this time scrambling to make up for the $300 Series S, probably reprojecting gains and losses with new mark downs.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:37 (1316 days ago) @ ZackDark

But it's Sony's own licensing, no? It's not like they're paying someone else.

Now I had to look it up... According to a quick google, they own a portion of blue ray.
They are one of 8 of the founders and one of 20 on the board (as of 2016). I don't know if they get still pay the other 6/7 (or 19/20) of the fees to license or not, but as of 2016 the fees were $9.50 for a Blu-ray player, and $14 for a Blu-ray recorder. I doubt the PS5 has a blue ray recorder, so it's really not that much for licensing. But it would account for some of the cost.

I 100% think it's almost all of it this. The timing between both showcases suggests, to me, they took this time scrambling to make up for the $300 Series S, probably reprojecting gains and losses with new mark downs.

Yeah, this is where my money is on this but I thought I would bring up other possible money costs

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:36 (1316 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Sony is part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, so no. They don't.

This is probably true, but the result is still something that is $100 more expensive if I want to use discs. I am still going to buy every single game I can used as a result.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:42 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is probably true, but the result is still something that is $100 more expensive if I want to use discs. I am still going to buy every single game I can used as a result.

I mean, sure, but if they hadn't down priced it to compete with the Xbox it would have just been $50 more to use discs. How is that any different if you were planning to buy the $500 dollar version anyway? They weren't ever going to lower that regardless of what the discless costed. In fact if they weren't competing with Xbox they the PS5 would probably be more expensive so that Sony could recoup some of their losses.

So your stand on saying the company is slighting you seems kinda.. odd. Get mad at them for even including an option for discless makes sense, but don't argue the pricing.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:48 (1316 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So your stand on saying the company is slighting you seems kinda.. odd. Get mad at them for even including an option for discless makes sense, but don't argue the pricing.

A cheaper discless option, while ultimately bad for the future of games, is something that a lot of people clearly value. My opposition to a discless console has nothing to do with price. So I am not sure why I am not allowed to dislike the price points.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:21 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A cheaper discless option, while ultimately bad for the future of games, is something that a lot of people clearly value. My opposition to a discless console has nothing to do with price. So I am not sure why I am not allowed to dislike the price points.

Because I'll be honest, I don't think I can count on one hand, since I have known you, that you have considered another person's feelings that goes against what you consider bad for "the industry".

So yeah, you are totally allowed, but call me completely astonished.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:31 (1316 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Because I'll be honest, I don't think I can count on one hand, since I have known you, that you have considered another person's feelings that goes against what you consider bad for "the industry".

Where did I say your feelings are bad? The push for an all digital console future is what's bad.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:44 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Where did I say your feelings are bad? The push for an all digital console future is what's bad.

I never said that it was my feelings nor that you said they were bad. What I'm saying is that you have a tendency to champion your cause and not even consider the feelings of the other side. So when you say your typical things like "Dammit, fuck off with all this bullshit to try to edge us into abandoning physical media." and not at all care about the others who don't really care about physical media. Call my surprised when you say "A cheaper discless option, while ultimately bad for the future of games, is something that a lot of people clearly value."

So what I'm saying is, I rarely ever hear you tell us your feelings about the other side of what you are trying to champion. So I guess I'm sorry for assuming you only care about what you are championing for and I look forward to hearing more about both sides of the story from you.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 11:42 (1316 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I never said that it was my feelings nor that you said they were bad. What I'm saying is that you have a tendency to champion your cause and not even consider the feelings of the other side.

I literally did that when I acknowledged a ton of people like buying digitally. Which I totally understand!

So when you say your typical things like "Dammit, fuck off with all this bullshit to try to edge us into abandoning physical media." and not at all care about the others who don't really care about physical media. Call my surprised when you say "A cheaper discless option, while ultimately bad for the future of games, is something that a lot of people clearly value."

You misunderstand. If someone chooses to buy digital, that is not a problem on its own. The problem is when it's the only option. If there were one version of the PS5 with a disc drive, this would be a non issue.

So what I'm saying is, I rarely ever hear you tell us your feelings about the other side of what you are trying to champion. So I guess I'm sorry for assuming you only care about what you are championing for and I look forward to hearing more about both sides of the story from you.

A lot of people find digital more convenient (especially now when buying physical media is more complicated). They can buy all the digital they want as long as the industry does not shift to digital only.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 12:53 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I never said that it was my feelings nor that you said they were bad. What I'm saying is that you have a tendency to champion your cause and not even consider the feelings of the other side.

I literally did that when I acknowledged a ton of people like buying digitally. Which I totally understand!

I meant in general, I commented on that one time which is why I said "Call me surprised when..." below. It's a rarity.

So when you say your typical things like "Dammit, fuck off with all this bullshit to try to edge us into abandoning physical media." and not at all care about the others who don't really care about physical media. Call my surprised when you say "A cheaper discless option, while ultimately bad for the future of games, is something that a lot of people clearly value."

You misunderstand. If someone chooses to buy digital, that is not a problem on its own. The problem is when it's the only option. If there were one version of the PS5 with a disc drive, this would be a non issue.

Did I misunderstand? You never stated that before now. You just seemingly got pissed off at the price of the disc-less PS5 and then made a comment that other people find value in a digital only PS5.

A lot of people find digital more convenient (especially now when buying physical media is more complicated). They can buy all the digital they want as long as the industry does not shift to digital only.

I agree with this in an ideal world. But if 95% of consumers care only about digital consumption then it would become harder for console developers to financial care about putting a, at that point, basically obsolete piece of hardware in their consoles. But we shall see in the future!

Not just the disc drive

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:26 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I fail to see how "consumer choice is fine, so long as a choice exists" works for the games, but not the console. And if we really wanted to tie price to cost, the digital games should cost less than the discs. Would that be OK too?

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:31 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

I fail to see how "consumer choice is fine, so long as a choice exists" works for the games, but not the console. And if we really wanted to tie price to cost, the digital games should cost less than the discs. Would that be OK too?

This is a move towards consoles that eventually don't offer a disc option at all. Old systems with a disc drive preserved choice: buy digital if you want, or buy a disc.

With no disc drive, you have but one option. And if the PS6 doesn't have a disc option, then it's over.

The manufacturing and distribution of a disc is minuscule all things considered. Merely a couple dollars (if that) per disc. But one thing that they could do is to release the game digitally as soon as the game goes gold. There's zero reason to sit on a finished version of the game that could be distributed digitally while discs are pressed. If they really wanted to push digital, they would simply do this.

Not just the disc drive

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:35 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the manufacture, packaging, shipping, warehousing, promotional material, and payouts to channel partners ads up to far more than you think it does, but even so, if you don't think making digital $5 cheaper would change a lot of behavior…I disagree.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:41 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

I think the manufacture, packaging, shipping, warehousing, promotional material, and payouts to channel partners ads up to far more than you think it does, but even so, if you don't think making digital $5 cheaper would change a lot of behavior…I disagree.

Likely not, since physical versions drop in price way more than that. New if you wait a little while (sometimes not even that long), and used immediately.

MGS 2 is 15 bucks digitally right now. I got it for FIVE in 2007 by buying it physically.

Not just the disc drive

by Claude Errera @, Friday, September 18, 2020, 17:38 (1314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Likely not, since physical versions drop in price way more than that. New if you wait a little while (sometimes not even that long), and used immediately.

If that were really most people, games wouldn't sell on day 1. Everyone would just wait for a price drop. So we're not talking about gamers willing to wait... we're talking about day 1 buyers. And I'd bet money that Vortech is right, amongst that group.

Not just the disc drive

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 18, 2020, 14:47 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

Honestly, moving to digital so none of the manufacture, packaging, shipping, etc. of discs and all the emissions and waste that go along with them have to happen at all seems like a win-win to me.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 18:50 (1314 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honestly, moving to digital so none of the manufacture, packaging, shipping, etc. of discs and all the emissions and waste that go along with them have to happen at all seems like a win-win to me.

You think the servers that host and provide the games for download are free? I would be willing to bet in the long run they emit more carbon than pressing discs.

Not just the disc drive

by cheapLEY @, Friday, September 18, 2020, 21:47 (1314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

More than worldwide shipping? Maybe, I don’t know. I think getting rid of the plastic waste is a good thing. Energy has the potential to be cheap, at least.

Not just the disc drive

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 21, 2020, 08:19 (1312 days ago) @ cheapLEY

More than worldwide shipping? Maybe, I don’t know. I think getting rid of the plastic waste is a good thing. Energy has the potential to be cheap, at least.

As an example, a lot of our power in Washington comes from dams and wind. In fact, one of Googles major servers are on the Columbia river, where I grew up, because wanted good cheap power.

So yeah, depending on where your servers are, you can easily do this. That's not the case for materials for physical media unless they decide to stop using the usual products.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 21, 2020, 08:38 (1312 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So yeah, depending on where your servers are, you can easily do this. That's not the case for materials for physical media unless they decide to stop using the usual products.

Today, everything in an optical disc, including the packaging, is recyclable.

Not just the disc drive

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 21, 2020, 09:28 (1312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, except most plastic doesn’t get recycled anyway, so that’s sort of irrelevant.

This was exactly what I was going to say

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, September 21, 2020, 10:31 (1312 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I like the idea of Amish Cody

by Robot Chickens, Monday, September 21, 2020, 10:03 (1312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Forever stuck at a particular point in technology's evolution. His tools are a snapshot of an era that history has almost forgotten.

However, when the cylons attack and wipe away all of our gaming data, the world will grieve and wonder if there was anything they could have done to avert this fate.

Meanwhile, the camera will zoom into a lonely bunker, pan through a series of tunnels, and the dull hum of a CRT monitor will start come into audio focus. A series of rhythmic clacking sounds as buttons are mashed add to the ambience. The camera pans to reveal stacks of cartridges and gaming systems, computers, windows 95 discs, apple IIes, and more are all perfectly preserved and catalogued on vast shelves.

A man, unshaven for weeks? years? grabs another game and its accompanying system off the shelf. He smiles in satisfaction for he had prepared for these days. Yet part of him grieves because he tried to warn them. The smile fades for a split second as he ponders his efforts. If only they had listened...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 21, 2020, 11:09 (1312 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

and the dull hum of a CRT monitor will start come into audio focus.

I'm sure by the time I'm that old, I probably won't be able to hear the 15734hz tone the monitors make anymore…

by Robot Chickens, Monday, September 21, 2020, 11:19 (1312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

and the dull hum of a CRT monitor will start come into audio focus.

I'm sure by the time I'm that old, I probably won't be able to hear the 15734hz tone the monitors make anymore…

Heh, my tinnitus just started to make its presence known and it effectively masks higher frequencies to me. RIP childhood

Exchanges like these ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 21, 2020, 11:23 (1312 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

are why i love this place.

Exchanges like these ...

by cheapLEY @, Monday, September 21, 2020, 11:27 (1312 days ago) @ Kermit

That’s just because you’re getting old.

Everyone knows the real fun is in yelling at each other until we’re blue in the face.

Exchanges like these ...

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 21, 2020, 11:36 (1312 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s just because you’re getting old.

Everyone knows the real fun is in yelling at each other until we’re blue in the face.

I'm looking forward to the day when my hearing gets so bad that all I see is the blue. No sound at all.

No one escapes the final blue screen. Embrace it

by Robot Chickens, Monday, September 21, 2020, 11:57 (1312 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

But... but... I'm a Mac user!

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 21, 2020, 13:17 (1312 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

But... but... I'm a Mac user!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, September 21, 2020, 13:21 (1312 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 21, 2020, 13:42 (1312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uh…

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/fix-blue-screen-mac-3673541/

I bought my first Mac in 1985 - a 512K (with double floppy drives!). I have used Macs continuously since then, and even worked for a couple of years as the IT guy for my department in grad school (mostly RS/6000s and SGI workstations, but probably a dozen Macs, too). I have NEVER seen that before.

You learn something new every day!

I knew I liked you

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 04:28 (1311 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Uh…

I bought my first Mac in 1985 - a 512K (with double floppy drives!). I have used Macs continuously since then, and even worked for a couple of years as the IT guy for my department in grad school (mostly RS/6000s and SGI workstations, but probably a dozen Macs, too). I have NEVER seen that before.

You learn something new every day!

That was my first Mac, too. Complete with double floppy drives. Living large. Never saw a blue screen on a Mac either, although I have seen my share of sad faces.

I got that once

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 05:54 (1311 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uh…

I was installing some game dev tools and needed to fix some permissions manually. I screwed up and I updated the permissions for EVERY file on the drive to have my user as the owner. As there are files that should only be owned by the system, I got the blue screen and thought I lost everything and was going to have to restore from a backup. Luckily it was an easy fix once I booted into recovery mode and was able to fix the perms.

I wonder what OS Durandal used?

by Robot Chickens, Monday, September 21, 2020, 13:36 (1312 days ago) @ Claude Errera

He might have escaped the blue screen

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, October 04, 2020, 13:34 (1299 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think he was more worried about escaping the blue shift (rimshot)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 05, 2020, 08:04 (1298 days ago) @ Vortech

To think Marathon's entire plot was rendered irrelevant by a discovery a mere 4 years after it came out.

by Robot Chickens, Monday, October 05, 2020, 14:57 (1298 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To think Marathon's entire plot was rendered irrelevant by a discovery a mere 4 years after it came out.

It became an alternative speculative world, more akin to steam-punk than reality, but still entertaining.

Not just the disc drive

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:23 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As always, I'll remind you that your opposition to diskless/digital has nothing to do with Discs either. It's opposition to DRM, which is not intrinsically linked to Digital console games, merely historically so. Since I see going digital as inevitable and full or benefits as well of losses, I will hope that people will encounter their new first-sale-doctrine-free future and apply pressure for change. Then again, people seem to love streaming video, so…

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:27 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

As always, I'll remind you that your opposition to diskless/digital has nothing to do with Discs either. It's opposition to DRM, which is not intrinsically linked to Digital console games, merely historically so. Since I see going digital as inevitable and full or benefits as well of losses, I will hope that people will encounter their new first-sale-doctrine-free future and apply pressure for change. Then again, people seem to love streaming video, so…

Consoles by their very nature have DRM. Otherwise… they are just computers.

Not just the disc drive

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:32 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Oh, that's simply not true and implies that computers don't have DRM, which is also false. DRM does not make a console. Fixed specifications (unique hardware?) and a lower-level gaming runtime/OSMake a console. Largely I would say game certification could be argued as DRM, but it's a bundle of sticks. Anyway, consoles are becoming more like computers in all of those ways as they try to make them multimedia family hubs. Seeing license management move more toward code signing could change too.

Not just the disc drive

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:38 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

Oh, that's simply not true and implies that computers don't have DRM, which is also false.

No it doesn't. Console = DRM. It does not imply that "not a console" = no DRM.

DRM does not make a console. Fixed specifications (unique hardware?) and a lower-level gaming runtime/OSMake a console. Largely I would say game certification could be argued as DRM, but it's a bundle of sticks.

Consoles don't even have fixed specs anymore. Consoles are defined by their walled environment for games, and whose primary purpose and design is to play those games. So no, even though an iPhone is a walled garden that plays games, that's not its primary purpose, thus it isn't a console.

Not just the disc drive

by squidnh3, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:50 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My guess is that Sony's market research showed that most people are thinking about it the complete opposite way. "Wow, it's $100 cheaper without that thing I don't even use, what a great deal!"

Yeah, I had both an XBox One (and X) and PS4 (and Pro)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 18:28 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And I think I'm skipping the PS this generation. While the PS has great games, it doesn't have my community. I legitimately just play XBox because that's where my friends and people I play with are.

Now, I still need to finish God Of War, and then I need to start Spiderman, GTA V, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 18:39 (1316 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I’ll still end up with both. Sony’s first party games are to good for me to skip. But, like you, my friends are mostly on Xbox. And Game Pass is too good to skip.

But Sony isn’t selling me on getting a PS5 right away.

Maybe 2-3 years from now I can get a bundle...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 05:02 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ll still end up with both. Sony’s first party games are to good for me to skip. But, like you, my friends are mostly on Xbox. And Game Pass is too good to skip.

I only upgraded to the Pro because it came with Spiderman, God Of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. I won't bother looking up the name of the bundle but I'd like to think it was the "essentials" bundle.

Like sure, if I can buy a kitted out PS5 for the express purpose of playing the few awesome first party games down the line, I can wait to do that.

I want that Series X to make my day to day gaming with friends better.

This is how I see the console market

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 06:46 (1316 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I only upgraded to the Pro because it came with Spiderman, God Of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. I won't bother looking up the name of the bundle but I'd like to think it was the "essentials" bundle.

Like sure, if I can buy a kitted out PS5 for the express purpose of playing the few awesome first party games down the line, I can wait to do that.

I want that Series X to make my day to day gaming with friends better.

And this right here exactly sums up the console marketplace right now in my mind. And how I feel like the two consoles have been marketed.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:29 (1315 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That's how I always have been with previous generations of consoles, but last generation people seem to get split off between Xbox and PlayStation. So I ended up buying both at launch, which I have not done since the original PlayStation. PlayStation often has exclusive games I want to play, but history is show me the best way to do that is to wait for a cheaper smaller version of Sony's console.

If Destiny cross-lay really happens, that's probably what I will go back to for the next gen. Then again the consoles are so huge and I have so many unplayed games I don't really need either next gen machine this year.

Next Gen Price Points

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 06:37 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

$299, $399, & $499

What a time to be a gamer! Even casual gamers can make the jump to next-gen this time, and hardcore gamers are getting some powerful boxes!

Next Gen Price Points

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 07:50 (1316 days ago) @ breitzen

The way I see it, everyone is getting a powerful, next gen box. Even the Series S has a much newer CPU and GPU than the older Xboxes. Yes, the Series S is cut back, but it also limits its output to 1440p. It’s a very familiar balancing act. You want your game to run at higher FPS or with higher graphics settings? Dropping the resolution makes that possible. If Microsoft had done the balancing right, that is: if the reduced resolution makes up for the less powerful CPU/GPS, then the Series S will be just as next gen as the PS5 or Series X, at a much lower price.

The Series S’ fast ssd, and all the new graphics and storage API hooks Microsoft has come up with, alongside hardware that is 7+ years more advanced than the Xbox One, make the Series S a very compelling choice for people with older TVs or people with limited budgets.

In the long run, will the Series S suffer compared to the PS5 and Series X? Not necessarily! If that balancing act was done right, it may remain just as valid of a choice as either of the more powerful consoles in every next gen buzzword except 4K / 8k resolution. And... what if in a couple of years Microsoft drops it’s price by another $100? That could be really interesting!

Next Gen Price Points

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:38 (1315 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The way I see it, everyone is getting a powerful, next gen box. Even the Series S has a much newer CPU and GPU than the older Xboxes. Yes, the Series S is cut back, but it also limits its output to 1440p. It’s a very familiar balancing act. You want your game to run at higher FPS or with higher graphics settings? Dropping the resolution makes that possible. If Microsoft had done the balancing right, that is: if the reduced resolution makes up for the less powerful CPU/GPS, then the Series S will be just as next gen as the PS5 or Series X, at a much lower price.

I think my question is "will the Series S be as "Next-Gen" compared to the One X. With so much work being done to avoid next-gen exclusive games, I don't know.

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:43 (1315 days ago) @ Vortech

I think my question is "will the Series S be as "Next-Gen" compared to the One X. With so much work being done to avoid next-gen exclusive games, I don't know.

From what I gather, the Series S will be basically the same as the Series X but just target 1080p. I imagine the games will look mostly similar but for the resolutions, some minor gfx setting changes, and perhaps some of the 120fps stuff.

If it weren't discless, and if the dashboard didn't have ads, I would actually have considered it.

Next Gen Price Points

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, September 18, 2020, 13:47 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

From what I gather, the Series S will be basically the same as the Series X but just target 1080p. I imagine the games will look mostly similar but for the resolutions, some minor gfx setting changes, and perhaps some of the 120fps stuff.

It will target 1440 and upscale to 4K

Next Gen Price Points

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 18, 2020, 18:22 (1314 days ago) @ Vortech
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, September 18, 2020, 18:42

Absolutely, it will.

Ignore this cross-gen phase. It happened last time too. I have Assassins' Creed: Black Flag in my game library twice. Once for the Xbox 360 version and once for the Xbox One version. The Xbox One version is a little prettier, but the gameplay is the same. Ultimately, studios can't sit idle for years waiting for a next generation to arrive. They have people to pay and rent to keep up with and so on. That's true of this time too. Look at Horizon: Forbidden West getting a PS4 version. It's almost certainly because development on it started long before the team even had access to PS5 development kits. We see the same with Halo Infinite, on Microsoft's side.

But, things are also different this time. Going from the Xbox / PS2, Xbox 360 / PS3, and Xbox One / PS4, the core components of the consoles have remained more or less the same. Oh, sure, the CPUs and GPUs got more powerful, but the storage, in particular, stayed slow. Over time we moved from playing straight off the game disc to installing on a hard drive, but until now all the storage mediums have been vastly slower than the rest of the consoles.

That changes majorly with the SSDs in the PS5 and the Microsoft Series consoles. SSDs provide both vastly faster total throughput, and vastly faster access times than either CD/DVD or HDDs did during the past two decades. Sony hasn't talked much about their core system software, but look at what Microsoft is showing. Even Xbox One games that know nothing about next generation will load some 5x faster. On top of that, Microsoft (and probably Sony too) can now use some neat trickery to store an entire game state on the SSD letting you switch from game to game to game far faster than any PS4 or Xbox One can even load one game. It's going to feel amazing!

There's also a bunch of very neat optimizations Microsoft is making specifically to support their two console approach. Things like where they'll now be able to only fetch the parts of texture the game is actually showing instead of loading the full texture when half of it won't even be shown on screen. There are things like that where Microsoft is claiming a 2x next gen performance advantage vs the way things are done on the Xbox One X.

I actually think the Series S is kinda brilliant. You get all the stuff that will really define this next gen. The fast ssd, the new graphics tech. The new graphics and storage APIs that multiply the effectiveness of the console vs the previous gen ways of doing things. Unless Microsoft badly misbalanced that resolution vs GPU equation I talked about last time, the Series S should feel almost exactly the same as a Series X, it just won't output as many pixels. And that's not much of a problem, anyway. Games look great today using all sorts of tricks that involve not outputting a full 4K pixels.

So, short term, the Series S is gonna blow the Xbox One X away in terms of feel. Things will be more fluid. Games will load vastly faster. Fast game switching will become something we can't believe we lived without. And in the long term, the Series S should hang neck and neck with the Series X. Everything from enemy count to draw distance to effects clarity should be almost identical... it's just the Series S is really meant for people with smaller TVs that were going to be displaying fewer pixels anyway.

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 08:41 (1316 days ago) @ breitzen

$299, $399, & $499

What a time to be a gamer! Even casual gamers can make the jump to next-gen this time, and hardcore gamers are getting some powerful boxes!

You need to look at it from a bigger picture though… Microsoft is trying to usher in an era where you no longer even buy and own games. Both are making the most aggressive push yet for a digital only future. That is a scary to me.

Next Gen Price Points

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:07 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

$299, $399, & $499

You need to look at it from a bigger picture though… Microsoft is trying to usher in an era where you no longer even buy and own games. Both are making the most aggressive push yet for a digital only future. That is a scary to me.

Music and movies have still been getting physical releases despite having digital/streaming options. I guess at some point the industry might move away, but I think that's more likely due to not coming up a better solution to blu-ray disks for packaging that media.

All that said, I totally empathize. As someone who loves getting the best possible version of a movie, I fear the day companies decide it's not profitable enough to make physical copies of movies.

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:29 (1316 days ago) @ breitzen

All that said, I totally empathize. As someone who loves getting the best possible version of a movie, I fear the day companies decide it's not profitable enough to make physical copies of movies.

The issue for me is ownership. Like it or not, even in a world with no physical discs, you can still 'own' a copy of a movie if you get a pirated copy. You can save that, keep it forever, and play it wherever and whenever you want. It'll probably be a lower quality version ripped from streaming, but you can still have something that nobody can control your access to.

Games are different. Consoles are locked down. You can't have free unrestricted access to a game without physical media. On PC, you have options like GOG that give you the game with no restrictions. You can save them, and play them whenever wherever. You can't do that on a console.

The elimination of physical media for game consoles necessarily means sacrificing your ability to play whatever game you want, when you want. Especially with game pass… if a game is pulled? Bye. You're not playing it.

When a game leaves the Xbox Game Pass library, you won't be able to play it any longer, even if it's downloaded to your console.

Digital downloads are similarly controlled and can leave you unable to play a game you paid for.

There is no way around this like with a movie or music since the consoles are locked down.

Next Gen Price Points

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 09:55 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The issue for me is ownership. Like it or not, even in a world with no physical discs, you can still 'own' a copy of a movie if you get a pirated copy. You can save that, keep it forever, and play it wherever and whenever you want. It'll probably be a lower quality version ripped from streaming, but you can still have something that nobody can control your access to.

Games are different. Consoles are locked down. You can't have free unrestricted access to a game without physical media. On PC, you have options like GOG that give you the game with no restrictions. You can save them, and play them whenever wherever. You can't do that on a console.

The elimination of physical media for game consoles necessarily means sacrificing your ability to play whatever game you want, when you want. Especially with game pass… if a game is pulled? Bye. You're not playing it.

When a game leaves the Xbox Game Pass library, you won't be able to play it any longer, even if it's downloaded to your console.

Digital downloads are similarly controlled and can leave you unable to play a game you paid for.

There is no way around this like with a movie or music since the consoles are locked down.

I totally respect you position on this. And I think you should have the right to do that. Personally, the value of that is just not worth it for me. A locked down Xbox, as you put it, and xbox game pass is worth way more to me than having to pay for a gaming PC of equal power and buying every game I want to play (even if it's for 10 hours). I just honestly don't care to own physical disks anymore. I don't use them. I think it's great that you do, but I think a vast majority of people who use consoles are more like me. I don't think that means your position is any less valid. I just know that what I get out of gamepass for my money is way more than if I paid for physical media.

As an example, I have some 20 xbox, xbox 360, and Xbox one physical games sitting by my xbox and I think I have played one of them in the last year and maybe 5 of them in the last 3-4 years. The one I played in the last year is Lego Indiana Jones that I picked up at gamestop to play with my wife.

Next Gen Price Points

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 10:20 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can respect your issues with owning games and physical media. I don’t actually understand your issue with Game Pass. Do you have similar problems with Netflix or Spotify? It’s exactly the same concept.

It’s great for gamers and, by every account I’ve read, it’s pretty good for the developers, too.

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 11:46 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 11:51

I can respect your issues with owning games and physical media. I don’t actually understand your issue with Game Pass. Do you have similar problems with Netflix or Spotify? It’s exactly the same concept.

No… I specifically explained how even a netflix original show can be 'owned' (via piracy, or capturing it yourself). But yeah, it's actually quite inconvenient when a film is on netflix one month, then off the next. And movies on netflix you can buy on a bluray if I think i'd ever want to see it again.

If movies went streaming only, you still have a way to keep it forever and play without restriction.
If music went streaming only, you still have a way to keep it forever and play without restriction.
If games went digital only, you do not have that option but for systems that are cracked.

Next Gen Price Points

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 13:08 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That’s an entirely separate issue than Game Pass, though. Nothing is available exclusively on Game Pass. You’re free to go buy any game you want that’s on the service, which is actually an improvement on Netflix, which has tons of programming you can’t own (outside of pirating a capture, I suppose). Hell, if you subscribe to Game Pass, you get a discount on purchasing games that are on the service.

I don’t agree with your fear of digital, but I understand it. I still don’t really understand how you think Game Pass fits in with that, as it’s explicitly not attempting to make anyone think they own those games, or even discourage people from buying games, necessarily.

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 13:35 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t agree with your fear of digital, but I understand it. I still don’t really understand how you think Game Pass fits in with that,

Because this may become the only way to play games in the future.

Next Gen Price Points

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 14:18 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If movies went streaming only, you still have a way to keep it forever and play without restriction.
If music went streaming only, you still have a way to keep it forever and play without restriction.
If games went digital only, you do not have that option but for systems that are cracked.

Here's where you lose me.

You say streaming-only movies can be 'owned' by stealing them. But streaming-only games can't be owned unless you crack the system... for a technically savvy person like yourself, those are pretty close to equivalent in difficulty, and identical in morality. Why are you treating them differently?

(If you argue that 'cracking' is hard for some people, you've lost credibility with me, because stealing is hard, too.)

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 16:58 (1315 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You say streaming-only movies can be 'owned' by stealing them. But streaming-only games can't be owned unless you crack the system... for a technically savvy person like yourself, those are pretty close to equivalent in difficulty, and identical in morality. Why are you treating them differently?

Modern systems are not, and may never be cracked. if you think devising, distributing, and executing a system jailbreak is equivalent to recording a video stream or downloading a torrent, I don't know what to tell you.

Next Gen Price Points

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 17, 2020, 17:22 (1315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You don't need to crack a PS4 to trick it into downloading files you "own", if you're going to account for this venue.

Next Gen Price Points

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, September 17, 2020, 11:03 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

$299, $399, & $499

Recognizing your preferences I respect your view point on this, but I think you are in the minority (shocking right?)

I used to keep all my old consoles and games. But I never play them...because I've acquired them digitally. I also don't want to have 4 generations of Xbox sitting on counter. I actually just gave away my Atari, NES and all games to a friend who collects classic games. He actually does play them, and enjoys the collection. When I had them, they just sat in a box in my garage.

The ability to have my favorite games at the ready, digitally is awesome. And going forward, knowing I can still play them is appealing.

Your argument might be "what if those digital files are no longer supported?" Then I will go back to doing what I did with my physical copies...nothing.

Next Gen Price Points

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 15:16 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Microsoft is trying to usher in an era where you no longer even buy and own games. Both are making the most aggressive push yet for a digital only future. That is a scary to me.

This isn't true, at least on the Xbox side. There are no Game Pass exclusives. Everything can be purchased separately, and they even encourage you to do so with the Game Pass member discount.

On SX you can put in your OGX discs from 2001 and play your games just fine on the new hardware*, or you can get a digital copy. The choice is yours.

*Supported BC games.

Next Gen Price Points

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 17:04 (1315 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

This isn't true, at least on the Xbox side. There are no Game Pass exclusives. Everything can be purchased separately, and they even encourage you to do so with the Game Pass member discount.

Purchase digitally. Would a retailer give you the discount on a physical copy? They are incentivizing you to not have a disc.

On SX you can put in your OGX discs from 2001 and play your games just fine on the new hardware*, or you can get a digital copy. The choice is yours.

The backward compatibility going from Xbox One all the way back to the original Xbox is one of the things that really stands out for the Xbox platform. I will give them that.

Backward Compatibility

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 13:59 (1316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Backward Compatibility

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 15:26 (1316 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.laptopmag.com/news/ps5-confirmed-to-be-backwards-compatible-with-99-of-ps4-games-sony-tested

Looks like nearly every PS4 game will work on the PS5.

So, what about PS1-2-3? PSP? Vita?

Do games need to be purchased again?

Can you play from the disc?

Will these games be enhanced in any way?

Backward Compatibility

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2020, 17:39 (1315 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread