Front Page Update- and it's timely (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 13:20 (1282 days ago)

Ragashingo updated the front page and the story happened within 3 hours. I would have missed it if I hadn't been bored.

Weather on Europa

So yeah, there's a front page or something...

LIEEEZZZZZ

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 13:49 (1282 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Front Page Update- and it's timely

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 14:30 (1282 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Ragashingo updated the front page and the story happened within 3 hours. I would have missed it if I hadn't been bored.

Weather on Europa

So yeah, there's a front page or something...

*Reads Link*

*Happy Screaming Ensues*

Flipp'n AWESOME! They Finally did it! They added a weather system! I'm so happy! For reference, my current favorite use of weather in a video game comes from the Squalls in Left 4 Dead 2, which can change the... intensity of a moment. Hopefully reduced visibility is (in some cases) a two way street.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 22:44 (1281 days ago) @ Robot Chickens
edited by Pyromancy, Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 22:52

Am I reading your wording here incorrectly and misunderstanding?
So now I'm curious, what did the first Front Page update say? 2 hr and 59min before the '100% Chance of Snow' story was put up on Bungie (and then link was added to the updated Front Page post)?

I'm excited, to see how they can maybe 'crank the weather effects all the way up to 11' for a future "End of Season showcase event" (Remember when they blew up The Almighty at the end of Season 10?).
It really is exciting, perhaps they can use this refined knowledge gained from playing with scripting and tools to carefully script some other medium->large environmental effects/events?

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 23:06 (1281 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Am I reading your wording here incorrectly and misunderstanding?
So now I'm curious, what did the first Front Page update say? 2 hr and 59min before the '100% Chance of Snow' story was put up on Bungie (and then link was added to the updated Front Page post)?

Heh, understandable. I clicked on the link and the timestamp on the Bungie story told me it had been posted in the last 3 hours. That led me to the conclusion that DBO caught it within that window and posted it.

I'm excited, to see how they can maybe 'crank the weather effects all the way up to 11' for a future "End of Season showcase event" (Remember when they blew up The Almighty at the end of Season 10?).
It really is exciting, perhaps they can use this refined knowledge gained from playing with scripting and tools to carefully script some other medium->large environmental effects/events?

That would be great. Hope is a dangerous thing with Destiny. :-)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 24, 2020, 07:41 (1281 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Yeah, I put it up within 30 minutes of it coming across Bungie’s Twitter. Don’t know when it was actually posted.

It’s going to be interesting to see if / how much the weather varies during just patrol. Or if it’s limited to specific mission scripting. One major major deal is it’s networked, meaning if you join a player in a snow storm you’ll get that same storm. That’s unlike the skybox animations in the past, like where one person might see a Canal ship landing in the distance while the next person wouldn’t.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, September 24, 2020, 12:14 (1281 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, I put it up within 30 minutes of it coming across Bungie’s Twitter. Don’t know when it was actually posted.

It’s going to be interesting to see if / how much the weather varies during just patrol. Or if it’s limited to specific mission scripting. One major major deal is it’s networked, meaning if you join a player in a snow storm you’ll get that same storm. That’s unlike the skybox animations in the past, like where one person might see a Canal ship landing in the distance while the next person wouldn’t.

Slight deviation from the OP, but in the realm of gameplay being different. My son and I will play D2 in the same room on 2 setups. When we do missions/strikes, my dialogue is always different than his. Always. Is it just a random pull of dialogue each time? Is it because I'm a paying player and he's a free light player?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 24, 2020, 12:49 (1281 days ago) @ ManKitten

I assume it’s just the way the game is built. The local version of the game decides which dialogue to pull, rather than it being synced to the server. Probably just easier that way, I guess?

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, September 24, 2020, 13:12 (1281 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I assume it’s just the way the game is built. The local version of the game decides which dialogue to pull, rather than it being synced to the server. Probably just easier that way, I guess?

I assume that all dialog choices are individual because there are a few times when gender/previous choices change the delivery. Rather than storing each guardian's potential state at the server, they let that decision be made locally?

That being said, it is jarring when Rellekh and I hear totally different dialog in the next room.

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 04:14 (1275 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yep. It's just way more simple for the local client to detect line triggers and play audio. You usually want to avoid sending synch data over the network for the environment unless you absolutely have to.

It's Random Every Time.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, September 24, 2020, 15:00 (1281 days ago) @ ManKitten

It's a feature first implemented in D1 that was essentially carried over.
When D1 first started doing strikes, it was the exact same dialogue and the exact same encounters every time. But when Taken King came around, and new strikes were getting added, and old strikes were getting Taken remixes, Bungie decided to record a small handful of dialogue for the new and old strikes, to mix it up a little. When D2 rolled out, they adjusted the formula, and did the same thing; record multiple lines for each segment.

It's a pain in the ass to record them all. XD

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread