In Search of Story; Darkness & Collapse (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, September 25, 2020, 13:30 (1301 days ago)

This is a post of me trying to be through in my search.

I've been dabbling through lore that has some connection to "The Darkness", primarily looking to see if there is anything in it about "Stasis", to which I have so far found none. This will probably be rectified come November, but I wanted to give it a look all the same. In the process of my search, I've found my self looking at the in-lore musings and philosophical lines in the sand that often come about in many of the passages involving "That Darkness". It's all very interesting, but there is a certain something I've found my self trying to find. The Story of "The Darkness". Some examples for reference, I've looked at: Ghost Fragment: Darkness, Ghost Fragment: Rasputin 3, Witherhoard.

That last one, I think, is telling. If "no one knows" then that explains the lack of story to be found. Yet, it occurs to me that this is wrong, and that I've been submitting the wrong query. Just as Mesopotamia, the story to be told is in what was left behind. So now I'm looking at the Lore about "The Collapse". The returning sheer list of sources of lore is what brings me to post.

While reading (or watching in some cases) through these fantastic passages is quite interesting, I have found myself wondering if there are any folks who have made this compendium of collective works simplified into an ordered text. I of course know Ragashingo has his Bite-sized Backstories, but he has not yet done anything involving purely lore of "The Collapse". There are a few quite old youtube videos, and even fewer more modern youtube videos, but nothing really to give a full play by play of what happens. Just "and then everything felt wrong".

Is there anyone else who summarizes lore? Or, if there isn't, for those of you who are more knowledgeable of the lore, are there any passages that stand out toward the topics mentioned?

As stated; This is a post of me trying to be through in my search.

In Search of Story; Darkness & Collapse

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, September 25, 2020, 14:39 (1301 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, September 25, 2020, 15:01

There's really not a lot of points of view set during the Collapse. I can think of just one set during it, and a few good stories adjacent to it:

First, the only view I can recall set during the Collapse is a collection of log entires written by Henriette Meyrin, the mother of the human who eventually became Ada-1, the Exo who runs the Black Armory in the present day. In the Black Armory Papers, specifically in entires 67 - 72, you get a vague glimpse of what it was like during the Collapse. Later in the same book you get some looks at life afterwards.

The first few chapters of the Marasenna give a brief glimpse of what it was like to encounter the Darkness in space, lots of physical distortion and a bad presence that can be felt, and a very very brief glimpse back at the earth from afar is it and the Traveler are being attacked by the Darkness.

Both the Drifter's early days in A Man With No Name and the Iron Lords' various stories talk about the harsh days immediately after the Collapse. So does my History of The Last Word.

One of my favorites that gives a good glimpse what the Golden Age was like immediately before the Collapse is Last Days on Kraken Mare. You can get a similar look at the moments just before the Collapse as seen by researchers on the Moon in the book Revelation.

Finally, there's a page in Cayde's Journal (the Treasure Island book that came with The Taken King) where his writing goes into a weird decreasing square spiral and seems to tell of the Darkness attacking:

There's no bounty. No Hive. I'm out in plain sight. Sky is torn open and there's nothing and nobody left in this ruined world but me and the boiling shadow all around. Whatever it is hits me before I can level my gun. Doesn't matter. Tendrils of pain crawl over my splayed fingers, my outstretched arms, my shoulders, my neck, my screaming mouth as it consumes. I'm being enveloped. Everything is wrong. Primordial. My systems go sideways. All but my sensors. It wants me to witness this, the world. It's world now. Suffocating in the black poison. I collapse. We all collapse.

Thank you! ^_^

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, September 26, 2020, 12:21 (1300 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread