THAB 10.22.20—Weapon Changes (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 16:22 (1280 days ago)

Another meaty update today.

Lots of weapons changes addressed today. 110 Handcannons are now 120 Handcannons. All 150 Handcannons are now 140s, except for Sunshot which will remain 150. Damage drop off changes.

600 Autos are getting a slight damage reduction.

Snipers are getting aim assist changes.

Mountaintop is getting a bunch of changes included reduced velocity, reduced splash damage, less airborne accuracy.

Adept weapons return to Trials along with Adept mods that can only be applied to Adept weapons.

I don’t like the way that last point seems. Adept Mods are just straight up +10 to a weapon stat or may sometimes have a trade off, such as +30 Mag, -20 Handling). The potential for these weapons and mods to just straight up be the best weapons in the game, exclusive to only the top tier players is disheartening.

You'll never match against the adepts so don't worry...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 16:29 (1280 days ago) @ cheapLEY

...is what I tell myself. :p

I agree though... it ruins the illusion of balance. :(

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 17:34 (1280 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I’m okay with there being some strong stuff from the most difficult content, and it’s okay to see the PvP crowd get some love. I know they’ve already talked about Adept stuff from PvE sources down the road, I just hope it comes sooner rather than later.

I also just think stat boosting mods are kind of inherently boring and make the game sort of a chore. If they exist at all, stuff will have to be balanced around them, which means if you don’t have and use them you’re inherently worse off. It’s why I’m happy to see the Taken and Hive and Fallen mods leave.

I wish we’d get more stuff with trade offs. Riven’s Curse on Reverie Dawn armor was great, but even that just got replaced with Transcendent Blessing eventually.

P.S. I know you never really left, but it’s nice to see you somewhat active around here again.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, October 23, 2020, 15:15 (1279 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If they exist at all, stuff will have to be balanced around them

It's also odd because this is the reasoning behind so many of the upcoming changes.

THAB 10.22.20—Weapon Changes

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 22, 2020, 21:17 (1280 days ago) @ cheapLEY

From the top and only the items I have something to say about. Not an exhaustive list (even if it scrolls like one... geeze. Get some help man. NEVER!!!!/s)

While we aren’t going to dive deeply into spoiler territory between now and launch, this is the moment where we say it’s time for you to go dark if you're looking to experience the expansion with no knowledge of what's coming.

If you’re hungry, it’s time to dig in.

[image]

I had missed the character videos. Eramis is pretty good. Variks is cool too, though the voice sounds... sightly different to me. The Exo Stranger though? That one says abit more than I would have liked. I suspected as much, but... would of rather seen this said ingame. That video link is here, for those who don't care.

--

• Precision Hand Cannon
    • (180 RoF) magazine scaled up by 37 percent.
    • Note: This also affects Exotics with that rate of fire.

Why didn't they just say that Malfeasance is getting an ammo bump as a result? As far was we know, it's the only exotic with a Precision Hand Cannon frame.

--

Sniper Rifles: We want Sniper Rifles to feel powerful, without being so easy to use that they dominate.

• Adjusted how aim assist (AA) is affected by Sniper Rifle zoom level. Lower zoom scopes have less AA, higher zoom scopes have more, scopes with around 50 zoom are unchanged.
    • Lowest-zoom scopes have a large reduction in AA cone angle.
    • Highest-zoom scopes have a small increase.

Very happy about the Sniper tweak with Zoom and AA. It's honestly odd to me that it wasn't like this already, as it makes too much sense.

--

• Scout Rifles: Scouts have a reasonable time to kill (TTK)and can't be adjusted too much without making them dominate the battlefield, so we're making them a little easier to use.
    • Increased how much each point of the AA stat widens the AA cone.
    • At maximum, the AA cone is now 15 percent wider.

So... I'm all for having some weapons with more "forgiveness" built in, and I get that Scouts risk being cheaper better snipers if tuned to hard, but I don't think this is enough. I admit, I'm probably saying this in part because Scouts were MY JAM in D1, and so my context on "what scouts in Destiny should feel like" has been skewed. Long meandering story short; why should I use a (non exotic) Scout in D2? The maps aren't that big. In PvP, the best approximate TTK of a Scout is .8 with 2.00 if all body. 2 Seconds! OR. You can use the already very forgiving Pulse Rifles with almost just as good range, which have at best an approximate .67 with 1.6 if all body.

Sorry. I'm rollen' Pulse. If the fantasy is you can use it both in PvE and PvP, then they need to compete in both, right? The proof of course is always in the eating, but I can't say I'm a fan of this ingredient alone to make this shit shoot better. Well... unless we get a Larger Vault... Oh! Right. We don't talk about that. Silly me. 770 Slots is a silly idea anyway. It's not like we're going into a new console generation that have a fundamentally larger speed increase in load time and... did I digress just now again? I did didn't I.

Sorry 'bout that. Moving on.

--

Rocket Launchers: These Heavy weapons currently have very low reserves, so we're adjusting that. We expect to take another look at Rocket Launchers in a future Season.

• Increased reserves by 1 or 2 rockets depending on Inventory stat.

ITS. ABOUT. DARN'd. TIME.

It might not be damage king, but it's nice to have a heavy that you can potentially set and forget.

--

• Falling Guillotine
    • Reduced heavy attack damage by ~24 percent to bring in line with other Swords.
    • Note: Falling Guillotine will continue to be slightly above average, just not to the extent that it is now.

So none of us are surprised about this, right? Still, all more reason to get those Dungeons done where this Sword can be used.

--

• Ruinous Effigy
    • Transmutation Spheres
      • Reduced the damage of the aerial melee attack by 25%
      • Significantly reduced the damage of the drain effect on enemy combatants

:(

I was going to use this Weapon with a build I was preparing for Beyond Light, but now that I know it won't be as I know it... eh bummer. BUNGIE HATES FUN! (Obviously. >_> Tbbbtbbt :P)

--

• Arbalest
    • No longer strikes shields multiple times, but its efficacy against shielded targets has been increased.

Have nothing to say here other than I thought of you squidnh3.

--

• Jade Rabbit
    • Armor Piercing Rounds swapped to High Caliber Rounds.
    • This fixes an issue that could prevent the exotic perk from triggering.

Oh? High Caliber Rounds on an Exotic Scout you say? Innnnteresting.

--

When first hearing that Aggressive Hand Cannons would be shifted to120 RPM, I wondered if it would be enough to push them into the hands of my Guardian. I can safely say after quite a few playtests, I have a bunch of new favorite Hand Cannons that have been waiting for their time to shine.

Perks of the Job.

--

Adept Weapons

• Here’s how Adept weapons differ from the base weapons:
    • Masterworking an Adept weapon grants additional stats.
      • +10 for the primary stat as usual (the specific Masterwork of the weapon).
      • +3 for all alternate stats.

Bold and Large Text my edit.
[image]

• A unique Adept shader has been made for these weapons.
  • Note: These shaders are not awarded as a consumable when dismantling an Adept weapon. As such, they cannot be applied to other pieces of gear. ...

Why can't things be simple? -_-

All this guff. For a shader. When are they going to give the Technical Artists the time to do whatever they need to do to the back end to make this stuff not as... "custom crafted", as it apparently needs to be.

I now return you to my extensive use of .gifs of this segment.

Adept Weapon Mods

• These mods come in two varieties:
    • Weapon stat boosts, each of which grants +10 to a particular stat in a similar way to Masterwork stats.
      • Example: Adept range (+10 range).

[image]

• Versions of some existing mods granting an improved bonus, but with a downside (base version of the mod explained below).
    • Adept mag (+40 magazine, -20 handling).
    • Backup mag is +30 magazine.

[image]

Acquisition
Blah blah Adept weapons blah Adept weapon mods, blah blah blah a Flawless Trials Passage and open the Flawless chest at the Lighthouse.

That's totally word for word I swear. /s

Totally not verbalizing what I just read. /s

Wait... why are there words here.. what I meant to say is...

[image]

No surprised of course but... eh. There is just no way to make it so the that folks who don't need the help get the stuff that helps better is it?

--

With that, we come to an end to our sandbox previews leading up to Beyond Light. Some of you may be asking, “Wait a minute, what about abilities?”

For the record, I was not asking that... but... go on...

In three short weeks, the abilities you’ve come to know and master will be challenged by the Darkness.

Yeah?

Stasis will make its debut, bringing a new flavor of combat to the sandbox. The team will be watching closely as you embark on your first strikes, Gambit matches, and Crucible exercises to see how your abilities stack up against each other. It’s going to be a wild time, and we’re excited to see the Light clash with the Dark.

The subtext. Yer' killen' me.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread