Beyond Light: Season of the Hunt vidoc (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 07:23 (1248 days ago)
edited by Korny, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 07:30

Fireteam slowly walking together? Check.
Bungie devs looking at each other instead of the camera? Check.
Fake excitement over player “discovery”? Check.
Showing a bit too much story stuff? Check.
Hyping up stuff that won’t be relevant for an entire year? Check.
Coming out just before another paid bit of content? Check.

It’s a Bungie ViDoc alright, and I think they’re just getting started.

You Nailed It... lmao

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 07:53 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Korny still being Korny? Check.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 07:59 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I liked it.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 08:33 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

Did a decent job of showing me 1) some of the fun stuff coming in the next season (and yeah, beyond), and 2) some of the team members behind this stuff.

That's exactly what these were designed to do. I'd call that a success.

Sorry you didn't like it.

Yeah, there's some cringe, but also a lot of heart

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 09:39 (1248 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Did a decent job of showing me 1) some of the fun stuff coming in the next season (and yeah, beyond), and 2) some of the team members behind this stuff.

Sorry you didn't like it.

I find the things they're talking about exciting, especially the dynamic weather. (Side note, it reminds me of my hopes when we saw that wind mill vid in an early pre-release video).

I liked it.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 12:27 (1248 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I liked it too. These are my only looks at what the game is like these days.

Beyond Light: Season of the Hunt vidoc

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 10:34 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

Salt first.

Ya know... I really wonder sometimes, this modern Bungie, why they show off what they do sometimes. And yes, I'm talking story beats. That segment with... Uldren. The Crow. It seems pretty obvious that this (for the moment) "random spot" on the Moon is where he makes his guardianship known and... ugh. I could not but ROLL my eyes.

First of all, if we are going to "save" Osiris, I sure hope it isn't "Oh I got hit by a trash mob enemy! I've fallen and I can't get up!" Its... kind of demeaning... it's Osiris! One of the larger names in Destiny, yes? I hope I'm seeing an incomplete picture here, but then why even show? It's... lame. And why are they even including a solution to a cliffhanger in ANY TRAILER?! THAT'S SO LAME! It makes all this talk of... "We want you to discover blah blah" ring false to me. But hey... sell that juice.

It's also a shame in it seems we won't see anyone asking why the city is breathing down their neck, and how folks talk out in the wild. It's SO PERFECT, it feels like an opportunity wasted. Hope the replacement is better.

Not sure how, but this ViDoc decreased the little hype I did have. Not sure why.

With that said...

I, of course, would love to see more content in "Making-of" (though of course I would). I'm super stoked about the Weather system, and a new place to digitally roam.

Hope the in game Story is good.

Beyond Light: Season of the Hunt vidoc

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 11:37 (1248 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Salt first.

Ya know... I really wonder sometimes, this modern Bungie, why they show off what they do sometimes.

I think they had to. The story of Destiny has felt like it’s been at a standstill since Forsaken. Admittedly, I don’t care about story spoilers, but this is exactly what I needed to see to even begin to give a shit about the story content of the expansion.

What a web we weave.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 11:57 (1248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Hell yeah.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 11:34 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

This is still Bungie and Destiny, so I try to keep my expectations in check, but that was great. I’ve been more “in” on Destiny in the past month and a half than I have been since Forsaken and I’ve been having a blast, so i’m definitely ready for more.

I do hope they deliver on the campaign experience. Yesterday I restarted the Forsaken campaign—it’s really good still! I don’t have any particular affinity for Cayde, but they still made his death feel meaningful. I still think it was the best structure Destiny has has probably ever.

If they can get even close to that, I’ll be happy. And I do like that it seems like the season pass stuff seems meaningful. It has been meaningful in the past, too, I just hope the gameplay loop is integrated in a better way that’s not just grinding out the same event week after week. I keep hoping for something more like the Ascendant Challenges or even the big Spider bounties. They sort of got there this season with the alternate missions.

Comments and Questions

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 12:34 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

Fireteam slowly walking together? Check.
Bungie devs looking at each other instead of the camera? Check.
Fake excitement over player “discovery”? Check.
Showing a bit too much story stuff? Check.
Hyping up stuff that won’t be relevant for an entire year? Check.
Coming out just before another paid bit of content? Check.

It’s a Bungie ViDoc alright, and I think they’re just getting started.

Comments:

All of your comments are accurate but it's not a bad thing. I liked the vidoc and am pretty excited for the update. It's nice to see the people that make the product and see that they are excited about it.

I wish they would have saved the Uldren reveal for the game, not this Vidoc. His character intrigues me the most in the whole Destiverse. He's also the most attractive being that's ever existed, lawdy.

Questions:

That Fallen captain said the line like "break away from our chains" then she punched that serviter into bits. Why she do that? Do Serviters control or something? or is she just crazy and decided to kill the closest thing to her?

One of the devs mentioned working with Uldren and The Crow, then is showed a guardian in super sweet all black armor. Was that The Crow? or was she just referencing Uldrens pet crow.

Comments and Questions

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 12:42 (1248 days ago) @ ManKitten

One of the devs mentioned working with Uldren and The Crow, then is showed a guardian in super sweet all black armor. Was that The Crow? or was she just referencing Uldrens pet crow.

Um... that's you, the Guardian.

Comments and Questions

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:05 (1248 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Um... that's you, the Guardian.

well, that's what I was asking. Was that a new NPC or is it guardian armor we can get ourself. The timing of that shot and that she said "Uldren and The Crow" gave me a confusing impression.

Comments and Questions

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:02 (1248 days ago) @ ManKitten

I wish they would have saved the Uldren reveal for the game, not this Vidoc. His character intrigues me the most in the whole Destiverse. He's also the most attractive being that's ever existed, lawdy.

You misspelled Petra. Uldren is a very close second.

Questions:

That Fallen captain said the line like "break away from our chains" then she punched that serviter into bits. Why she do that? Do Serviters control or something? or is she just crazy and decided to kill the closest thing to her?

Don't the servitors provide ether and are a technology that emerged during the time of the Traveler's presence in Eliksni culture? Thus, they are a symbol of dependence.

Comments and Questions

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:06 (1248 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Uldren > Mara > Zavala > Petra

Destiny has MANY attractive characters...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 06:33 (1247 days ago) @ ManKitten

Can we agree that most of Destiny's characters are attractive?

I mean how could we leave out Amanda, Ikora, or Osiris with his salt and pepper beard?

If only this game wasn't rated [T]. lol

Destiny has MANY attractive characters...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 10:09 (1247 days ago) @ breitzen

Can we agree that most of Destiny's characters are attractive?

I mean how could we leave out Amanda, Ikora, or Osiris with his salt and pepper beard?

If only this game wasn't rated [T]. lol

Isn't Shaxx empirically the sexiest of them all? I mean, he banged the Queen.

Also true story when Saladin was doing Iron banner by girlfriend was like "Why is that announcer's voice so sexy?"

Servitors and Ether

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:57 (1248 days ago) @ Robot Chickens
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:04

Don't the servitors provide ether and are a technology that emerged during the time of the Traveler's presence in Eliksni culture? Thus, they are a symbol of dependence.

Correct.

Servitors are living relics of the once-mighty Fallen civilization. Packed with ultra-sophisticated machinery, they process matter and energy into the Ether that the Fallen depend on for life. In battle they support the Fallen with defensive systems and their own powerful energy weapons. Outside, they anchor Fallen comms and provide vital technological acumen.

If you track the Fallen from their arrival in the Sol system all the way to Eramis on Europa, one of the primary things the Fallen have been after is controlling Servitors, rebuilding Servitors, or finding alternatives to Servitors. Think all the way back to Destiny's original Strike, The Devil's Lair:

The Fallen will continue to claw at the walls of our City, unless we strike them down. Beneath the ruins of the Cosmodrome, in the shadow of an old colony ship, we’ve located the House of Devils’ Lair – and the High Servitor feeding them their strength. We must destroy this machine god…and send their souls screaming back to hell. -Commander Zavala

"Feeding them their strength" was literal. Even in that Strike, remember how the Servitor boss was connected to a few Fallen around it for a few seconds before the final battle began?

During the Reef Wars, where the Fallen fought against the Awoken and each other, one of the primary objectives of each Fallen House was to capture the other Houses' Servitors.

Deeper into Destiny 1, the House of Wolves were struggling to rebuild their Prime Servitor:

Kit-bashed using parts and pieces of lesser Servitors, Kaliks Reborn is fueled by servants so loyal to the rule of the long-lost Kaliks Prime that they would sacrifice their own ether to the last fume.

Kaliks Reborn is seen by these devout prisoners as the resurrection of their Prime. With a Kaliks to serve, the Fallen may rally, the Wolves may gain new strength. Or worse, a new House may rise—a House blinded by faith and hungry to be seen as equal

As we got into Rise of Iron, Aksis, the leader of the Devil Splicers, used SIVA as the biggest rallying cry to gather his followers. He would give gifts of SIVA in exchange for loyalty in order to reward and control his forces. In fact, look at his description:

Aksis is the fruit of the Devil Splicers’ labor. A former Archon Priest, Aksis has submerged himself in SIVA’s apotheosis and emerged as Archon Prime. All that he was is gone: his dreams. His hopes. Replaced by agency. He has shed his gods and his Ether like skin, and in his uplifted state, waits in his Perfection Complex for offerings of SIVA from all Fallen.

Remember how Devil Splicer Fallen would release those tracking SIVA blobs when headshot instead of a burst of Ether? They were literally running on/living on SIVA instead of Ether at that point.

Into Destiny 2 Forsaken, we get the Scorn. They are Fallen who have been killed and then been brought back to life with the Dark Ether by Fikrul, their leader. Dark Ether was, again, a substitute for the regular Ether that Servitors made. During the Forsaken campaign, we saw the Scorn killing numerous Servitors as both a way to weaken the remaining Fallen houses and because they simply did not need the Servitors anymore. (Dark Ether came about from a Wish Prince Uldren made to the Ahamkara Riven while he grieved over a dying Fikrul... Our Guardians killed Fikrul multiple times but he never stayed dead because of Dark Ether.)

Now, in Beyond Light, we once again see a Fallen leader destroying a Servitor and promising to supplant it with a new power. See how all the Fallen took a frightened step after their Servitor was destroyed? That wasn't just being in awe of the new Stasis power... that Servitor was their food factory, basically!

I was secretly hoping you’d weigh in

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 15:26 (1248 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

The Fallen Have It Rough.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:06 (1247 days ago) @ Ragashingo

House schisms, then SIVA, then Barons, then Eramis?

I'unno. Maybe they should start wearing methane tanks? ;-)

Comments and Questions

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:14 (1248 days ago) @ ManKitten

All of your comments are accurate but it's not a bad thing. I liked the vidoc and am pretty excited for the update. It's nice to see the people that make the product and see that they are excited about it.

I don’t disagree, but ever since the Guardian Games one, I have a very difficult time believing that excitement is genuine. The folks in that video were either straight up lying for marketing, or they must also get that overly excited when their mom makes them Kraft macaroni for lunch, because I have a very hard tone believing any well adjusted adult could look at the Guardian Games and think it was worth selling as much as that video did. Matching they hype in the video to the actual product they put out there still legitimately makes me kind of angry.

These have always been marketing exercises, but the Guardian Games video was the one that cemented the fact that they were never anything but marketing videos.

Comments and Questions

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:25 (1248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t disagree, but ever since the Guardian Games one, I have a very difficult time believing that excitement is genuine. The folks in that video were either straight up lying for marketing, or they must also get that overly excited when their mom makes them Kraft macaroni for lunch, because I have a very hard tone believing any well adjusted adult could look at the Guardian Games and think it was worth selling as much as that video did. Matching they hype in the video to the actual product they put out there still legitimately makes me kind of angry.

These have always been marketing exercises, but the Guardian Games video was the one that cemented the fact that they were never anything but marketing videos.

Fair enough but that's a very cynical point of view from an outsider. Sure, they might be hamming up a bit for the sake of the video but, for the most part, they are still people that are passionate and proud of their work and are excited to talk about it. I can relate personally as I have a very unique job and when I get an opportunity to talk about it, I get excited. Even if the Guardian Games was lackluster as a player, the people who made it still intended for the user base to have fun.

I have to think that anytime something is released, the devs are pooping their pants with excitement and anxiety to hear the feedback from the community. And it can be emotionally devastating when something you excitedly put effort into gets raked.

Comments and Questions

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:32 (1248 days ago) @ ManKitten

Again, no disagreement here, at least not fundamentally, but Guardian Games deserved to be raked.

If the people who made that were genuinely passionate about it (as opposed to making the best of the hand they were dealt), something needs to be reevaluated somewhere.

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:41 (1248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

In Terms of GG's, I Agree.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:08 (1247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

...bro...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:41 (1248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The folks in that video were either straight up lying for marketing, or they must also get that overly excited when their mom makes them Kraft macaroni for lunch

You leave my Mac'n'Cheese out of this! Plus, we all know that when Ma makes it, food is like +5 betterer. It is known.

:P

...bro...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:46 (1248 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I am in no way knocking Mac’N’Cheese. I made and ate a whole box of it yesterday. Fuck that grown up ass macaroni. I want noodles and powdered cheese, damnit.

...bro...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 13:55 (1248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am in no way knocking Mac’N’Cheese. I made and ate a whole box of it yesterday. Fuck that grown up ass macaroni. I want noodles and powdered cheese, damnit.

Velveeta Shells 'n Cheese > Uldren > Kraft Mac 'n Cheese

I said it.

You want to slather Uldren with cheese?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:10 (1248 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 14:22 (1248 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

...bro...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 16:15 (1248 days ago) @ ManKitten

I said it.

Cheese is gross. In fact all of dairy is gross.

...bro...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 17:52 (1248 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I said it.

Of all your wrong opinions, this one is the wrongest.

...bro...

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 18:41 (1248 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I said it.

I was trying to think of a snarky retort to his post. I think you nailed it.

...bro...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 10:05 (1247 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I said it.

I mean, nearly 3/4 of the world's population is physically unable to eat dairy. That should tell you something.

Yes

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 18:37 (1247 days ago) @ Cody Miller

More for me

...bro...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 30, 2020, 10:26 (1245 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean, nearly 3/4 of the world's population is physically unable to eat dairy. That should tell you something.

I mean, I know I haven't gotten out as much as most people, but I didn't know that 3/4 of the world's population didn't have a mouth!

You teach me new things every day Cody.

...bro...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, October 30, 2020, 11:07 (1245 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I mean, I know I haven't gotten out as much as most people, but I didn't know that 3/4 of the world's population didn't have a mouth!

Even if /s ... I just...

[image]
[image]

...bro...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:27 (1245 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Even if /s ... I just...

[image]
[image]

WORDS MATTER!

"Physically unable" means something. "Physically unable to eat" also means something. Eating and digesting are not the same thing. (There are lots and lots and LOTS of people who eat dairy who have trouble digesting it, because they don't produce enough lactase. My son, for example. There are fewer people - but maybe still a lot, I don't really know, who not only have trouble digesting dairy, but CANNOT digest it, because they don't produce ANY lactase.)

Neither of these groups are 'physically unable to eat' dairy - they're just unable to digest some (or all) of what they've eaten.

There is probably some small group of humans for whom dairy is a poison - eating it will kill them. Those people fall in to the 'physically unable to eat' category (even if you're being pedantic, as Mac and I are). They don't make up 75% of the world's population, though.

Yeah, I know - you're being consistent. You OFTEN make blanket statements that are true if people make the same general assumptions as you do. Since (often) these statements are controversial, they tend to bring out the pedant in some of us - because the easiest way to disregard your controversy is to point out that you're (technically) wrong.

I will, once again, remind you that the best way to have a conversation in which folks aren't resorting to making fun of your absolutism is by not being absolute. ;)

And yes, I'll remind you that you, specifically, are held to a more stringent standard at this point because you have such a long history of abusing absolutism. :)

ahhhh Claude

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 30, 2020, 13:53 (1245 days ago) @ Claude Errera

WORDS MATTER!

"Physically unable" means something. "Physically unable to eat" also means something. Eating and digesting are not the same thing. (There are lots and lots and LOTS of people who eat dairy who have trouble digesting it, because they don't produce enough lactase. My son, for example. There are fewer people - but maybe still a lot, I don't really know, who not only have trouble digesting dairy, but CANNOT digest it, because they don't produce ANY lactase.)

Neither of these groups are 'physically unable to eat' dairy - they're just unable to digest some (or all) of what they've eaten.

There is probably some small group of humans for whom dairy is a poison - eating it will kill them. Those people fall in to the 'physically unable to eat' category (even if you're being pedantic, as Mac and I are). They don't make up 75% of the world's population, though.

Yeah, I know - you're being consistent. You OFTEN make blanket statements that are true if people make the same general assumptions as you do. Since (often) these statements are controversial, they tend to bring out the pedant in some of us - because the easiest way to disregard your controversy is to point out that you're (technically) wrong.

I will, once again, remind you that the best way to have a conversation in which folks aren't resorting to making fun of your absolutism is by not being absolute. ;)

And yes, I'll remind you that you, specifically, are held to a more stringent standard at this point because you have such a long history of abusing absolutism. :)

Thank you for completely and utterly validating and explaining my joke while also making a great statement :D

...bro...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 30, 2020, 18:43 (1245 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, October 30, 2020, 18:46

Unable to eat it in the common parlance.

If someone is allergic to something, I'm sure they would be able to actually swallow it. But they would still go around saying "I can't eat fish" or "I'm unable to eat nuts" or whatever.

Physical was used to denote a biological barrier. Not that they don't have access to it. Not that they don't like it. But that there is a physical mechanism which makes it so.

Words are not actually so precise, and one must infer intent from context and cultural clues.

...bro...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 30, 2020, 20:19 (1245 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If someone is allergic to something, I'm sure they would be able to actually swallow it. But they would still go around saying "I can't eat fish" or "I'm unable to eat nuts" or whatever.

Physical was used to denote a biological barrier. Not that they don't have access to it. Not that they don't like it. But that there is a physical mechanism which makes it so.

Words are not actually so precise, and one must infer intent from context and cultural clues.

I'm not gonna belabor this forever, but I want to point out that there is a difference between

"physically unable to eat"

and

"unable to eat for a physical reason"

that almost everyone who speaks english would be able to discern for themselves. (That is: those two phrases are NOT equivalent, in any real sense.)

Sometimes we try to be efficient, and we end up just being inexact. Often, it doesn't matter. Sometimes, it does.

...bro...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 30, 2020, 22:32 (1245 days ago) @ Claude Errera

"physically unable to eat"

and

"unable to eat for a physical reason"

One is much more punchy and emphatic :-p

People use hyperbole all the time to get an idea across.

*physiological

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 31, 2020, 09:13 (1244 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

...bro...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 12:30 (1244 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The thing is, I'm still unsure about what you mean. Are you saying that 3/4 of humanity can't eat dairy because they are allergic to it? Or there are other repercussions other than allergies?

Because one thing you should do when you are making an argument against something is not to be so general that you actually lose your audience in generalization. For example, Humans died a 100% of the time when they entered water above their head, really shows you that we should never enter the water.

...bro...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 14:07 (1244 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 14:11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

It is common worldwide, affecting the majority of the world's population (with an overall estimate of around 65%

Is this specific enough?

65% OF THE WORLD CAN SWALLOW DAIRY, BUT FOR THEM IT IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND UNPLEASANT TO DO SO.

...bro...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 31, 2020, 14:15 (1244 days ago) @ Cody Miller

65% OF THE WORLD CAN SWALLOW DAIRY, BUT FOR THEM IT IS UNCOMFORTABLE AND UNPLEASANT TO DO SO.

*it makes their bowels uncomfortable.

I know a few lactose intolerant people who still enjoy eating cheese.

So even though it makes them feel bad later, it's worth the sacrifice. If that isn't a sign you're wrong, I don't know what is.

...bro...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 14:45 (1244 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is common worldwide, affecting the majority of the world's population (with an overall estimate of around 65%

Is this specific enough?

Yes! That is! Also, that's even more reason to enjoy something that doesn't make me feel pleasant :D

...bro...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, November 01, 2020, 17:15 (1243 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is this specific enough?

The varying levels of uncomfortable and unpleasant are very relevant here...

...bro...

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 01, 2020, 17:37 (1243 days ago) @ kidtsunami

This is sort of silly. I’m never going to tell anyone to quit being a pedant to Cody, but I strongly suspect that everyone here knew exactly what Cody meant, which means he is correct. Language is not as specific as we might like. We live in a world where “literally” doesn’t actually mean literally anymore.

...bro...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 01, 2020, 18:19 (1243 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I strongly suspect that everyone here knew exactly what Cody meant, which means he is correct.

There's a hashtag for this…

#codywasright

#codywasalwaysrightinhishead

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 02, 2020, 07:24 (1242 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

...bro...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 02, 2020, 06:40 (1242 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is sort of silly. I’m never going to tell anyone to quit being a pedant to Cody, but I strongly suspect that everyone here knew exactly what Cody meant, which means he is correct. Language is not as specific as we might like. We live in a world where “literally” doesn’t actually mean literally anymore.

I gotta admit I was pretty confused. But I can see how it's cody and I should have taken it with a grain of salt.

...bro...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 02, 2020, 07:23 (1242 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by MacAddictXIV, Monday, November 02, 2020, 07:30

I gotta admit I was pretty confused. But I can see how it's cody and I should have taken it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, same here. Which is why I asked for a clarification.

I knew what he was saying was completely wrong in how he phrased it. Which is why I made fun of the comment. But again, this is Cody we are talking about, it was very likely he had some super weird connection to the original sentence that no one ever saw coming.

And for the record, it's not up to me to parse Cody's incorrect statement as something that it is not. It's up to him to correctly communicate to other people. He failed to do so with at least two of us.

So are we all getting slathered with cheese, ooorrrrr......

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, November 02, 2020, 08:03 (1242 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

It's not a perfect world, so no.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, November 02, 2020, 08:24 (1242 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

So are we all getting slathered with cheese, ooorrrrr......

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 02, 2020, 08:40 (1242 days ago) @ ManKitten

No, because 3/4 of the world is physically unable to come into contact with dairy.

Just think about that!

I'm at the very least going to have a fondue, not a fonDONT

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 02, 2020, 09:04 (1242 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

How about a fondant? It's usually dairy-free!

by Claude Errera @, Monday, November 02, 2020, 09:49 (1242 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

lol

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 02, 2020, 10:01 (1242 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

ಠ_ಠ

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 18:07 (1248 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I said it.

[image]

Now Cody has gone too far

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 06:58 (1247 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It explains a lot. :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 08:08 (1247 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

I'm Sparta-Kicking You In The Chest.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:11 (1247 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Can you get banned for this?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 30, 2020, 10:24 (1245 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Preach, Bro.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:59 (1247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And if you ever want to fulfill your lifelong childhood dream like I did...the internet has you covered.

On a similar note, powdered, liquid, Velveeta—I'll scarf 'em all down. But my hero Babish has a homemade method that has been permanently caking my pots for months!!

Shouted-out to Kenji, got a sub from me

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 18:42 (1247 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

I'm sorry, but I just need to (belatedly) interject.

by Harmanimus @, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 19:31 (1244 days ago) @ cheapLEY

5 seconds about what the event is and 90 seconds of trash talking about other classes is almost definitely legitimate feelings from the developers.

I'm sorry, but I just need to (belatedly) interject.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 22:12 (1244 days ago) @ Harmanimus

5 seconds about what the event is and 90 seconds of trash talking about other classes is almost definitely legitimate feelings from the developers.

Sure, and if the event had contained literally any of that (you know, maybe some actual challenges based around the classes) instead of just determining who was fucking bored enough to grind out even more asinine bounties, then maybe I’d believe anyone there gave a shit. But that didn’t happen, and we got what we got.

It’s the only event in the history of Destiny that I think legitimately makes things worse just for existing. Not having an event at all would have been better than that absolute half-assed garbage.

I try to recognize that maintaining a game like Destiny is certainly challenging, and the pace of content is actually pretty good in the grand scheme of things. Some events are naturally just filler to give the folks constantly playing the game something to do, and that’s fine, but holy crap, even in that context, Guardian Games was a wet fart wrapped in a soggy napkin.

Comments and Questions

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:19 (1247 days ago) @ ManKitten

I wish they would have saved the Uldren reveal for the game, not this Vidoc. His character intrigues me the most in the whole Destiverse.

So much...I remember falling back in my chair in annoyance...it's like if they revealed the Guardian speaks again in Forsaken or something. It's like, I know you want to reveal things about the new expansion, but come on.

Comments and Questions

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, November 02, 2020, 06:54 (1242 days ago) @ ManKitten

After re-watching, I totally misheard that part. Just wanted to clarify that I now know that Uldren IS The Crow. That is all. Sorry that you read this.

Wait, what . . .

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 16:52 (1248 days ago) @ Korny

What the hell is going on here? Zavala and Osiris hanging out with some Red Legion?

[image]

Good catch...

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 18:34 (1248 days ago) @ cheapLEY

What the hell is going on here? Zavala and Osiris hanging out with some Red Legion?

[image]

They're just chillin'

Yes

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 13:42 (1247 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was excited!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 12:09 (1247 days ago) @ Korny

then I came here and well ...

I wonder how many people have left this community because a DBO admin (A DBO ADMIN!) sets the tone of cynicism and sarcasm.

At least one more.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 13:40 (1247 days ago) @ Kermit

I wonder how many people have left this community because a DBO admin (A DBO ADMIN!) sets the tone of cynicism and sarcasm.

Look, when the front page has roughly one post in two years (other than those I made) and that post is the most cynical and sarcastic person linking to his own off-putting thread post... yeah, this place ain't for me anymore. To me, the Front Page of HBO and later this place was about recognizing the community and rewarding good posts, good theories, and interesting news. Now, here, it's become a self-serving disgrace. That's a line too far.

It was fun to be "welcomed back", but clearly this place ain't for me anymore. Maybe the next Bungie.Org site will be maintained by people who enjoy the game and wish to fostering a community around it.

The net is indeed vast and infinite. If any of y'all want to talk Destiny you can find me out there pretty easily.

See You Starside.

At least one more.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:30 (1247 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Look, when the front page has roughly one post in two years (other than those I made) and that post is the most cynical and sarcastic person linking to his own off-putting thread post... yeah, this place ain't for me anymore. To me, the Front Page of HBO and later this place was about recognizing the community and rewarding good posts, good theories, and interesting news. Now, here, it's become a self-serving disgrace. That's a line too far.

It was fun to be "welcomed back", but clearly this place ain't for me anymore. Maybe the next Bungie.Org site will be maintained by people who enjoy the game and wish to fostering a community around it.

The net is indeed vast and infinite. If any of y'all want to talk Destiny you can find me out there pretty easily.

See You Starside.

This post was a long time com'n from ya. Can't say why I get that feeling but I do. Well shoot. Now who am I going to let know how Warlocks are bester-er? Ah well, have fun in the company of your coloring-book. For clearly no reason at all, I would suggest you still lurk around here until the end of this Destiny Season. But hey! To Kornys credit, his post did actually contain a wolf... er I mean... the ViDoc, so that has to count for something right? RIGHT?!

But I get it. You feel confined, only free to expand yourself within boundaries. And I suppose we can only forgive so much. I guess once you start doubting, there's no end to it.

See You Space Cowboy.

Bang.

At least one more.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:51 (1247 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Don't let my lapse of discretion contribute to your discouragement in any way. I thought you were an admin now, too, but maybe you're a news poster whatchamacallit, instead--a role in which you've done great work. You should have your name in lights like everyone else. We all have lapses, but your positive contributions here been the best of the best. I'd be really sad were you to leave and not come back, especially if a post of mine validated that decision.

At least one more.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 17:23 (1247 days ago) @ Kermit

Don't let my lapse of discretion contribute to your discouragement in any way. I thought you were an admin now, too, but maybe you're a news poster whatchamacallit, instead--a role in which you've done great work. You should have your name in lights like everyone else. We all have lapses, but your positive contributions here been the best of the best. I'd be really sad were you to leave and not come back, especially if a post of mine validated that decision.

Heh. They wouldn't make me an admin. They fear I'd instantly ban Cody the next time he reminds us of how many days its been since he's played Destiny. (They're probably right.)

The About Page is an interesting point. By my count, between one and four of the twelve people listed can plausibly count as active and involved with the community here anymore. But, I haven't looked at that page for longer than I can remember. Me being on there or not being on there has never factored into anything I did. And... at this point, what would be the point? One extra person can't hold up a community.

At the end of the day, DBO is basically dead. And it's not any one person's fault. The internet has changed a lot, even since Destiny's launch. People prefer larger groups like Reddit... but you know what? This place hasn't even tried to be alive or welcoming in a long time. It takes dedication and effort and a special spark to remain relevant in this day of FaceTube groups and InstaTweets and TumblingRedditors... and we don't have it here. If we don't stand out in some way, if we aren't overwhelmingly welcoming, or don't show some special expertise or experience or aspect that's hard to find elsewhere... then why are we here other than inertia?

As far as Korny is concerned, it was his glee back in April that there hadn't been any front page posts in well over a year despite him having the ability to make them that saw me ask Claude for access to post on the Front Page. Since then, I made 12 posts, several of which covered neat things people here in our community did. I'd have done more, but it was a bit discouraging to be the only news poster when twelve people total have accounts. And then Korny posts and links to his own cynicism! The first post not me in almost two years and it leads to one of the most discouraging aspects of our community... That's a great look for anybody who finds our community! That'll get them to stay and to contribute, for sure!

I gave Claude some self imposed conditions when I asked for access. Quoting directly from that email:

1. I won’t be hyperactive about updating it. I won’t risk burning out on it. I’m thinking between one and three updates a week at most as Destiny news justifies.
2. I’d like to do general Destiny news and feature interesting posts and videos from our own community, mostly.
3. I specifically will not post about myself. If someone else wants to recognize Bite-Sized Backstory or anything else I’ve done, great, but I don’t want to use the DBO front page as just a place to publicize myself. It’s for our community first and foremost.

I kinda think The Front Page is something of a measure of the health of our community. For me, at least, doing something good enough to be recognized on HBO or DBO is what drove me in my early internet days to improve my writing and dig into lore and all that. We kinda don’t have that right now. I’d like to help start that again.

I tried to help out, and really nothing came of it. And I can't do it all alone. And when the next poster is someone promoting their own dislike of the studio that this site is formed around... Really, is it too much to ask for people who have been given the ability to represent this community to actually like the game and respect the community they represent? Right now, I think that answer is: Yes. It is too much to ask.

And, as long as that answer remains yes, I don't want to be here.

Followup

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 29, 2020, 11:14 (1246 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh. They wouldn't make me an admin. They fear I'd instantly ban Cody the next time he reminds us of how many days its been since he's played Destiny. (They're probably right.)

I haven't made ANYONE an admin since the site was launched. At that point, there were enough cooks, and still, at this point, enough of them are around that the things that are needed on the forum side are covered. It wasn't really about a fear that you'd ban someone you shouldn't, except in a general sense (that's actually the biggest complaint I've had about EXISTING admins; they've been too quick (imo) to ban people over the years).

This is something I've ALWAYS disagreed with others about; my tolerance for unpleasantness seems to be greater than most people's, in this particular aspect of internet community-building. The only reason I don't get completely overruled is because I'm okay playing king every once in a while.

It definitely has its downside - this is a pretty big one. Losing an important community member because they're finally tired of the bullshit is hard to do.

The About Page is an interesting point. By my count, between one and four of the twelve people listed can plausibly count as active and involved with the community here anymore. But, I haven't looked at that page for longer than I can remember. Me being on there or not being on there has never factored into anything I did. And... at this point, what would be the point? One extra person can't hold up a community.

You're not on the About page because I completely forgot to ask you for the content needed to update it. Nothing at all about you - this was 100% me falling down on the job. (Happy to update it now, in fact, even though you're pretty much done - you've contributed as much or more than others already there, and that should be recognized.)

At the end of the day, DBO is basically dead. And it's not any one person's fault. The internet has changed a lot, even since Destiny's launch. People prefer larger groups like Reddit... but you know what? This place hasn't even tried to be alive or welcoming in a long time. It takes dedication and effort and a special spark to remain relevant in this day of FaceTube groups and InstaTweets and TumblingRedditors... and we don't have it here. If we don't stand out in some way, if we aren't overwhelmingly welcoming, or don't show some special expertise or experience or aspect that's hard to find elsewhere... then why are we here other than inertia?

We're here because we're friends (at least in the internet sense). There's still a Marathon forum that has users here, fergoshsakes. You're right - we long ago stopped doing stuff that attracted outside people. At first I was pretty sad about that, since that had been a pretty big part of my life for almost 2 decades. I've come to terms with it, though - I made the decision a few years ago that I wouldn't update the front pages of ANY of the b.org sites on a regular basis any more; if community members weren't willing to step up and contribute, there wouldn't be anything there. I 100% understand how you feel concerning support (both from without and within)... but I'm pretty sure I was clear about what you could expect when you started. I'm grateful for the time we did get - I LIKE seeing the front page relevant. I completely understand you walking away, too - I have always said that if you (the generic you, not the Raga you) aren't having fun, you shouldn't do it.

As far as Korny is concerned, it was his glee back in April that there hadn't been any front page posts in well over a year despite him having the ability to make them that saw me ask Claude for access to post on the Front Page. Since then, I made 12 posts, several of which covered neat things people here in our community did. I'd have done more, but it was a bit discouraging to be the only news poster when twelve people total have accounts. And then Korny posts and links to his own cynicism! The first post not me in almost two years and it leads to one of the most discouraging aspects of our community... That's a great look for anybody who finds our community! That'll get them to stay and to contribute, for sure!

This is part of what makes me saddest. You're not the first b.org admin to walk away because of differences with community members, and the only solution I can see that would have kept all the folks who are in that boat is an unacceptable one, to me - I can't justify choosing one form of self-expression over another. Yes, Korny's snark can be wearing. I tell him that regularly. I'd love it if everyone thought (or cared) about how they made others feel when they spoke - this isn't a b.org thing, it's a world thing.

But (and this is a conversation we've had on admin threads for years, I'm usually alone on this) I do not believe that removing people who contribute, but also offend other people, is a useful or productive way to maintain a community. I would MUCH rather convince those people to modulate their interactions in a way that continued the contributions without so much of the offending. I work at that all the time. I fail a lot. The level of failure is not enough to make me change my opinion that it's the right way to interact with people.

The end result of this failure is the loss, occasionally, of people like you. And that makes me sad.

The Sacred Space.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 29, 2020, 13:21 (1246 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I am about to speak of some most-subtle shades. Hopefully I can do it justice this evening.

I think you have made a mistake in the same way as Cody often does. Where-in, the truth you speak (as there must be some) fights the change before ones self. This is neither good nor bad, but is often (in my observation) a source of strife. A self considering the changes around it that can not be controlled. The mistake comes when that rigidity blinds a person from concepts they can't consider under such a mindset. A prison of each individuals own making, as if thar be dragons upon that edge!

This becomes particularly interesting when as I mention, in reading your full post, I can't help but over all agree. Shoot, I've made plenty of posts through the years here and there with concerns of this community and site. How many times did I talk about the Front Page becoming totally dormant? Or how the style of posts and language had changed? Of the things we spoke about?

In retrospect, many of the posts here have come due to the many MANY ups and downs we've (I'd say for most of us) experienced through Destiny in all its forms. For many of us, who've never played a WoW or Everquest, we found ourselves grappling with the concept of a "Live Game". A living changing digital space. A not so much never ending story, that at times came out half baked, but an experience. That's the biggest mistkae we made, that we were forced to make. Bungie made Stories, than put them into game form. That's how they got fans in the first place. Destiny The Game isn't that. It's an experience, with stories to guide that experience. Built from not of one cohesive collective mind, but of many individual ones... pushing and pulling it like salt water taffy. The Devs have their say, and... at times, the fans have a say as well.

And we all chip in.

And we all put it out there.

At times what we write is joy, of fun had, but often its been of the pains. The things we find off-putting. Because we can, and at one point, because we hoped Bungie would see it and make that change. Or better yet, in a few cases, had a conversation with a Dev. We were very spoiled at one point, having folks who work at Bungie make posts here. Can't recall the last time that has happened. When it felt like Bungie was part of the community. A small town, around the world. Fans and creators at the same table.

Yet, in this now, so many of those sacred spaces are gone. The little groups, the internet fan clubs of yester-year have but faded away. Changed, as things will. The chorus has grown so large now that it can be only through hope or inertia that we sing, hoping it can be heard. Hoping it really is making a difference in the sound of the song.

Which of course brings us back to here, where at times it has seemed to me that the peeling paint was a warning no one with the power to change it cared about. A strong, perhaps at times lazy philosophy of "leave it as it lle" and "do it yourself if you care to". I can read about Beorns idea of API initrgration, and know(?) it didn't happen because... why? We do well enough without it. Why add light.gg integration, when we can just link to the site? Why give the underline function a button, or give users the ability to highlight subjects and turn them into >quote formatting without having to do it line by line manually? If they care enough, they will do it themselves.

It just can feel like no one cares. But...

What this site has, that no where else can really give in the same, is Truth. Nothing so pure... let's not get carried away, but despite criticisms, this place is special. Both beautiful, and ugly. I expect it shall be as long as Wu can keep it special. Not from calculation, but by what to him feels right. And hey! By and large it has worked. For many many years. But some folks just can't deal with that. Some folks just want the roses with out the thorns. Maybe that's you, I do not know.

I would like to conclude with... I can't recall the last time I played with you in Destiny? You speak of "one man can not carry a community" but... where ARE YOU? You are more than welcome to join. Our little slice of the community is here, it has just... changed.

I was excited!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 13:40 (1247 days ago) @ Kermit

Just stating for the record here (again, as it has been made clear on the forums before) that Korny is not a DBO Admin, he merely has newsposter privileges. And to be fair to Korny, his front page post about the ViDoc does not contain the same cynicism as his forum post above.

there's a front page?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 13:44 (1247 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

I was excited!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:28 (1247 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm sure at least one will come back every leap year to yell at him and then leave.

I was excited!

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 14:45 (1247 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm sure at least one will come back every leap year to yell at him and then leave.

My favorite time of year!

I was excited!

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 30, 2020, 10:48 (1245 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My favorite time of year!

Wait, we are allowed to do it more than once a year?! Why didn't someone tell me this!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread