Deep Rock Galactic is on GamePass (Off-Topic)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 05, 2020, 12:53 (1260 days ago)

I've posted about this game before, but thought it was worth bringing up again since it's now on Game Pass. It's an excellent class-based co-op shooter. I mean Left 4 Dead/Iron Brigade level excellence (#opinion). It's an FPS, but a lot of the fun has to do with exploring the fully destructible, procedurally generated caves (I know, I know, but this might be the best use of the tech I've seen) and combining the different classes' traversal and combat abilities to get everyone through the level. Gameplay aside, the other thing DRG is known for is being player friendly. They just did a free update a couple of weeks ago with 2 new mission types, and they only had 5 at launch so that's a significant expansion of the options. The next one in January should be adding 2 new biomes.

There's a few around here who play it already, give it a shot and join up! It's much better with friends. If you're not on Game Pass, it's only a $30 game. There is crossplay between XBox and PC, but only if the PC player has the Windows Store version, not the Steam version.

I'll let SkillUp help me sell it (although I think the combat part is better than he does):

Deep Rock Galactic is on GamePass

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 05, 2020, 17:29 (1260 days ago) @ stabbim

I’m downloading it now! Realistically, it’s going to have to wait for at least a few weeks until the new raid is done, but I am looking forward to finally giving it a real shot.

Sweet!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 05, 2020, 22:54 (1260 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 06, 2020, 08:23 (1260 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm basically not buying games unless it's something I really want. So that fact that this is on GamePass now is a huge bonus. I'll definitely pick it up and try it out. Social game on the other hand is a bit harder... but I'll see what I can do.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 06, 2020, 09:20 (1260 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm basically not buying games unless it's something I really want. So that fact that this is on GamePass now is a huge bonus. I'll definitely pick it up and try it out. Social game on the other hand is a bit harder... but I'll see what I can do.

It's as "social" as a game like Left 4 Dead, or Helldivers, and for a number of the same reasons (almost all good!).

There are a bunch of different RPG elements, but none of them essential. The gear your start out with will get the job done across the board, so you won't feel like you need to grind in order to have a good time. Perks and alternate weapons in this game are just gravy to get you to chase a carrot that can complement/shake up your playstyle, but I run a Driller with pretty much the default starting loadout, and even though I play the game once or twice a month (if that), I always have a great time.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 06, 2020, 09:32 (1260 days ago) @ Korny

Yep, totally. It's definitely not a game where you have to chase a just-out-of-reach meta in order to be effective, or worry that if you don't grab a certain thing right now it'll be gone in a month.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 06, 2020, 10:00 (1260 days ago) @ Korny

It's as "social" as a game like Left 4 Dead, or Helldivers, and for a number of the same reasons (almost all good!).

There are a bunch of different RPG elements, but none of them essential. The gear your start out with will get the job done across the board, so you won't feel like you need to grind in order to have a good time. Perks and alternate weapons in this game are just gravy to get you to chase a carrot that can complement/shake up your playstyle, but I run a Driller with pretty much the default starting loadout, and even though I play the game once or twice a month (if that), I always have a great time.

Yeah, I'm not at all worried about enjoying social play, it's more of finding the time for social play.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 06, 2020, 12:10 (1260 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I'm not at all worried about enjoying social play, it's more of finding the time for social play.

Even if you’re on alone, there’s a pretty dedicated Solo mode with an upgradeable AI companion exclusive to that mode. So even a quick 10-20 minute game doesn’t require your friends to be on. It’s the relaxation of Minecraft combined with the terror of L4D.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 06, 2020, 12:19 (1260 days ago) @ Korny

Even if you’re on alone, there’s a pretty dedicated Solo mode with an upgradeable AI companion exclusive to that mode. So even a quick 10-20 minute game doesn’t require your friends to be on. It’s the relaxation of Minecraft combined with the terror of L4D.

Awesome. I'll definitely check it out then! Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking for a game I can play solo right now that isn't an 80 hour commitment until all the things come out next week :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread