Because YOU recommended it DBO (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 09, 2020, 08:10 (1263 days ago)

Ready to start the adventure. Many here have said good things.

[image]

Because YOU recommended it DBO

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 09, 2020, 08:23 (1263 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m eager to hear your thoughts!

I really enjoyed Erica, by the way. I’m thinking about another play through to make different choices.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 09, 2020, 09:23 (1263 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I really enjoyed Erica, by the way. I’m thinking about another play through to make different choices.

Yeah guys, FMV games don't actually suck anymore.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 09, 2020, 10:31 (1262 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Did you use a controller?

I downloaded the app it recommended. That was mostly pretty great, but I wish they’d have toned down some of the gesture stuff, especially the stuff that needed multitouch gestures. I just sat in bed and played it with one hand, but there was just enough multitouch stuff to be sort of annoying.

I know that’s kind of a silly complaint, but it was a small touch of annoyance every time it happened.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 09, 2020, 11:02 (1262 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Did you use a controller?

I downloaded the app it recommended. That was mostly pretty great, but I wish they’d have toned down some of the gesture stuff, especially the stuff that needed multitouch gestures. I just sat in bed and played it with one hand, but there was just enough multitouch stuff to be sort of annoying.

I know that’s kind of a silly complaint, but it was a small touch of annoyance every time it happened.

I just used the PS4 touchpad, and it worked fine.

Wow the controls are garbage

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 11:12 (1256 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This game has some of the highest input latency I've ever seen. If you flick the stick up to look up, it doesn't start moving until well after the stick is back in the neutral position.

This is the exact reason why I abandoned Dishonored on PS4. It would be unplayable if this were an action game. It's not, but it's quite unpleasant. Inexcusable.

There is no Mac version so I'm stuck with this. I don't know how anyone can test this and say "we can ship this".

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 11:16 (1256 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This game has some of the highest input latency I've ever seen. If you flick the stick up to look up, it doesn't start moving until well after the stick is back in the neutral position.

This is the exact reason why I abandoned Dishonored on PS4. It would be unplayable if this were an action game. It's not, but it's quite unpleasant. Inexcusable.

There is no Mac version so I'm stuck with this. I don't know how anyone can test this and say "we can ship this".

I don't remember that being an issue...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 11:27 (1256 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 11:32

I don't remember that being an issue...

Look at how long it takes for the right analog stick to register. It doesn't even start moving until it's back to neutral. It's outrageous. Filmed high speed so you can see easily.

~57 frames lag @ 240 fps means 230 milliseconds of latency. That's incompetent. Other games on this setup are responsive so it's not the settings.

Yikes.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 22:10 (1256 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah that atrocious. I did not have those problems on Xbox. Not sure how many people here played in xbox/ps/pc but that's crazy. Some sort of optimization fail perhaps? How old is your PS?

Yikes.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 16, 2020, 05:29 (1256 days ago) @ breitzen

It’s just as bad on Xbox. I checked last night after seeing this thread.

I didn’t remember it feeling that way, but it probably always did and I just got used to it.

I'll have to revisit and see.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Monday, November 16, 2020, 07:45 (1256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Maybe I just got used to it too?

Partial fix

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 16, 2020, 09:19 (1256 days ago) @ breitzen
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, November 16, 2020, 09:38

I've found a partial fix is to turn down to zero the "inner dead zone" for the analog sticks in the options of the game. The delay is still there, but at least it will register movement quicker.

It's slightly better but still really noticeable. I would be liking the game so far, but the complete dog shit controls are ruining what would otherwise be an awesome experience. It's the equivalent of watching a great movie with the projection out of focus, or the sound out of sync. Sorry, but you have to hit a base level of technical competence. You don't have to have the fanciest graphics, but especially in a game with first person control, it has to be responsive to your inputs.

I may abandon and go to Obra Dinn on the Mac instead, which is a shame. If the game gets a patch, I will absolutely jump back in. Funnily enough the latest patch notes had "improves input latency on all platforms" as a point, which means it was even worse before!

The idea for this game seems familiar…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 12:03 (1249 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=12443

Imagine for a second that Bungie designed Destiny without a save feature. It would rule and here's why.

First of all, you'd probably wonder HOW such a thing could even work. How could you possibly design a game with dozens of hours of content without a way to save? All the ingredients are there. You have a game world spanning multiple planets and a way to transport between them.

So you start every session in your home, or a hub on Earth under the traveler or something. If you've played before, you have nothing from your previous play sessions. But you haven't, so you head on out. You figure out you need to do whatever it is you need to do, and wherever it is you need to go.

So you complete this mission / quest whatever you want to call it. In any normal game, this would set a flag or give you an item or something that would allow you to progress. But what if that didn't happen? What if the reward was merely information?

You finish the quest, and the dude at the end tells you about another quest. He reveals the location of a hidden entrance to an area, and gives you instructions on how to access it.

Let's say at this point you stop playing.

Tomorrow, you turn on Destiny, and you find yourself at the start, with a bare slate since you can;t save anything. But you still have that information. So you go, and instead of doing the first quest again, you go access the hidden entrance. Maybe after completing this quest you get some story information, and hints on things to do next.

See where I'm going with this? There's no need to save anything! You could have a wide variety of quests strewn about, and due to the social nature of the game, players will exchange acquired information with each other as they discover it. Some could be easy to discover, some hard. Enter any area, and the story would naturally progress to an appropriate point, or perhaps change depending on server parameters which can be changed as time goes on.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 14:05 (1249 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you playing it more then?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 22, 2020, 14:37 (1249 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Are you playing it more then?

I saw enough of the idea before I gave up. I cannot when I can't control shit.

Bummer

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, November 24, 2020, 07:42 (1248 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I get it, but it's not an action game so I suppose they never prioritized the input. The game was made by a bunch of recent college grads if I recall and it's built on top of unity so I suppose it's not really surprising. Personally I found the controls sluggish, but I didn't have trouble ignoring them. I doubt the game gets any more updates at this point since it's been out a while.

Bummer

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 24, 2020, 08:19 (1248 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I get it, but it's not an action game so I suppose they never prioritized the input. The game was made by a bunch of recent college grads if I recall and it's built on top of unity so I suppose it's not really surprising. Personally I found the controls sluggish, but I didn't have trouble ignoring them. I doubt the game gets any more updates at this point since it's been out a while.

It is a bummer. As I said before, it's like watching a great movie that's projected out of focus.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread