So, uh...The New Consoles. (Gaming)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 13, 2020, 18:31 (1258 days ago)

I'm guessing some people here got new systems, unless you're still having trouble getting one...(sorry, btw!) I've heard some crazy things—people vaping their consoles, Party chat audio being recorded, ray tracing, quick launching, all the weirdness.

So, how are you out there enjoying it/them? Launch lineup any good, despite the pandemic delays? Graphics any better? ;-) Controllers and the like? Let me know.

Thoughts on the Series X

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, November 14, 2020, 09:54 (1258 days ago) @ Morpheus

I've only played Beyond Light and 2 games of Rocket League

• Even without "built for Series X" changes, Destiny 2 loads so damn fast and now it only feels like Matchmaking is getting in the way of near instant loading
  • Setup/migration was smooth, my Elite Series 2 connected immediately, and copying all my games from my SSD was quick
  • Seriously, things load so quick, everything
  • HDR seems... more intense, but can't tell if that's a beyond light change or a Series X
  • re: Rocket League, I have a TV capable of 4k HDR at 60hz, looking at this blog post about XB1X support vs this one about Series X support you'd be forgiven for thinking there'd be no difference, but how smooth it was on the Series X was night and day... I don't know why but it just was more responsive and smooth, I was surprised.
  • There are some deeply busted parts of color grading in Beyond Light's HDR
    [image]

One of the comments I've seen about the Series X has been that it improves almost any game that can run on it, whether it's ironing out performance issues or the Auto HDR and damn I believe it.

This in no way makes up for how jealous I am about Miles Morales and Demons Souls, but I remind myself that since I bought a PS4 pro with God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, and Spiderman, that I haven't even finished God Of War and have at this point traded Spiderman with a neighbor for TLOU Part 2 since they wrapped on it.

Anyways, the thing I'm most excited about with either console is how it is affecting load times and how that will inform overall game design going forward.

Thoughts on the Series X

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 06:56 (1257 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[*]There are some deeply busted parts of color grading in Beyond Light's HDR
[image]
[/list]

I think the HDR has several problems. I finally turned it off, and I've been happier.

Thanks for the early report. Hope to have mine in time for the D2 upgrade.

Looks like Bungie is on it

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 16, 2020, 08:20 (1256 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]
[/list]

I think the HDR has several problems. I finally turned it off, and I've been happier.

link to bungie.net forum post

Looks like Bungie is on it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 16, 2020, 15:13 (1256 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[image]
[/list]

link to bungie.net forum post

I hope the issues are all of piece [prays to the code gods].

Thoughts on the Series X

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 10:46 (1251 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 10:52

Not to be a dick, but it might be your TV and not be Bungie's fault.

While a TV might be able to process an HDR input, if the TV is shitty, it can actually end up looking worse than an SDR input. Believe it or not, the HDR10 standard doesn't actually mandate a maximum brightness for the display. So if your TV doesn't get very bright and has bad blacks, your HDR is going to look grey, washed out, and shitty.

Does it generally look worse across any game you try? Or is it just Des2ny?

Thoughts on the Series X

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 11:16 (1251 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not to be a dick, but it might be your TV and not be Bungie's fault.

While a TV might be able to process an HDR input, if the TV is shitty, it can actually end up looking worse than an SDR input. Believe it or not, the HDR10 standard doesn't actually mandate a maximum brightness for the display. So if your TV doesn't get very bright and has bad blacks, your HDR is going to look grey, washed out, and shitty.

Does it generally look worse across any game you try? Or is it just Des2ny?

Just Destiny for me, although I actually like the visuals in a Pop art sort of way.

[image]

Thoughts on the Series X

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:35 (1250 days ago) @ Korny

My HDR isn't broken.

Thoughts on the Series X

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 12:02 (1251 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cody. We’re not idiots. Destiny has looked great for the past year, then suddenly, the day they drop a massive update in which we know they changed the way lighting works, HDR now looks like shit. Nothing about our tvs changed in the past year, Destiny did. It’s fucking broken.

I guffawed reading your response and agreeing so hard

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 13:05 (1251 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Cody. We’re not idiots. Destiny has looked great for the past year, then suddenly, the day they drop a massive update in which we know they changed the way lighting works, HDR now looks like shit. Nothing about our tvs changed in the past year, Destiny did. It’s fucking broken.

Because it's like, I'm sorry dude, I've had a 4k HDR display for almost 2 years now that I'm replacing with an even fancier monitor, it is not that I fucked up buying my tv what is wrong with you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:23 (1250 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:57

Because it's like, I'm sorry dude, I've had a 4k HDR display for almost 2 years now that I'm replacing with an even fancier monitor, it is not that I fucked up buying my tv what is wrong with you.

My point was that because there actually aren't any actual brightness requirements for the HDR10 standard, it can look wildly different on many displays. Perhaps Bungie didn't test their new implementation on a wide enough variety of screens. It's the only thing I can think of, because if they saw what he saw internally at the studio there'd be no way they'd ship that as is. If their new implementation is aggressive about making bright things bright, then low quality HDR displays (which there are a LOT of) will struggle. A more conservative solution might have looked fine.

The alternative that they fucked up for any and every TV is just so beyond incompetent I can't convince of that happening. Right?

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 22:16 (1250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think Kermit has that LG OLED, widely regarded as one of the best HDR sets on the market. He’s having the exact same issues.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 22:24 (1250 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think Kermit has that LG OLED, widely regarded as one of the best HDR sets on the market. He’s having the exact same issues.

Man Bungie, come on… lol.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 23, 2020, 19:43 (1248 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As CheapLEY said, I have the LG B7. I really don't think it's the TV. I haven't noticed it in the new content--and they've said the old areas might look different. So I think there is a problem.

Yyyyyyyyyeah, It's Not The TV.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, December 07, 2020, 16:19 (1235 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Daddy, you said the monsters wouldn't hurt me!!"

(Seriously, this is actually pretty scary, to me at least!)

PS5 is everything I wanted the PS4 to be, but not much more.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 14:04 (1257 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Korny, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 14:10

I don’t really mean that in a cynical way. I just had really high expectations for the PS4 early on, as the system updates were substantial and exciting, and I had high hopes for where the system could go. Unfortunately, Sony is very much the hare in the race against Xbox, and the updates in the latter half of its life were disappointing. Even the Pro was just “pretty good”, but not enough for me to buy a second (Sammy still ran the launch PS4 until this new gen).

Taking that into account, the PS5 is great. The share features are a huge leap from the PS4’s (and even better than the Xbox’s in a number of ways, but we’ll see if that holds).

The SSD is pretty good. Nothing as crazy as people were touting, but it’s very noticeable (Warframe for example, goes from boot screen to social hub, to open world in about two minutes, faster than logging into Destiny, and that’s without the PS5 optimizations scheduled to hit in the next few weeks).

As far as PS5-exclusive games, we only played Astro’s playroom, and it’s really great. Out-Nintendo’s some Nintendo games for sure, while highlighting just how neat the controller is... speaking of which...

The biggest surprise, as you’ve no doubt heard, is the controller. It really is the major selling point that the system would be weak without.
I hope it doesn’t end up being a gimmick, because it’s really satisfying to use (besides the garbage battery life).

Overall, an 8/10, but games might bump that up in the future.

fwiw, on the series x with destiny 2

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 16, 2020, 07:33 (1256 days ago) @ Korny

The SSD is pretty good. Nothing as crazy as people were touting, but it’s very noticeable (Warframe for example, goes from boot screen to social hub, to open world in about two minutes, faster than logging into Destiny, and that’s without the PS5 optimizations scheduled to hit in the next few weeks).

I just quit destiny 2 to test this "fresh" and Boot -> Character Select -> Tower -> Europa took ~2:18.

If you're not going to the tower and doing the same steps to load into Europa it takes ~1:15.

Thoughts on the Series X

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 16, 2020, 21:24 (1255 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Korny, Monday, November 16, 2020, 21:42

I just quit destiny 2 to test this "fresh" and Boot -> Character Select -> Tower -> Europa took ~2:18.

If you're not going to the tower and doing the same steps to load into Europa it takes ~1:15.

Where I was happy with the PS5, I’m finding myself really impressed with the Xbone. The thing really is next-level in almost every regard, and shows just how much of a godsend Phil Spencer has been for Xbox.

The ONLY exception is the Share function, which is identical to the Xbone’s (and the extra button on the controller is functionally useless for me, since I’ve mastered the art of Guide>view>dpad>X. It’s nice, but a real letdown, as it still uses your existing online storage space (which makes sense, I guess).
PS5’s share function is a real evolution (trim and upload clips without leaving your game screen!), and I was praying that Series X could compete, but alas.

The controller is pretty much the same meh controller as before, though the rear grip texture and bumpers feel nice for a change. But like I said, the share button is pretty pointless, and overall the thing feels much cheaper than the Dualsense. But whatevs.

All that said, out the gate, I’m giving the Xbone a 9/10.

Yeah it's weird

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 06:46 (1255 days ago) @ Korny

Where I was happy with the PS5, I’m finding myself really impressed with the Xbone. The thing really is next-level in almost every regard, and shows just how much of a godsend Phil Spencer has been for Xbox.

The ONLY exception is the Share function, which is identical to the Xbone’s (and the extra button on the controller is functionally useless for me, since I’ve mastered the art of Guide>view>dpad>X. It’s nice, but a real letdown, as it still uses your existing online storage space (which makes sense, I guess).
PS5’s share function is a real evolution (trim and upload clips without leaving your game screen!), and I was praying that Series X could compete, but alas.

The controller is pretty much the same meh controller as before, though the rear grip texture and bumpers feel nice for a change. But like I said, the share button is pretty pointless, and overall the thing feels much cheaper than the Dualsense. But whatevs.

• That Microsoft introduced a share button a whole generation late and didn't revamp their sharing in the process, a real miss for them
  • Granted I'm using my Elite Series 2 and have the X and Y face buttons mapped to capture screenshots and video
  • And I agree, Phil Spencer has been doing an amazing job

Thoughts on the Series X

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:42 (1255 days ago) @ Korny

Yes, but what are you giving the Series X? (winky face emoji... Claude why do you hate me?)

Thoughts on the Series X

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:58 (1255 days ago) @ breitzen

Yes, but what are you giving the Series X? (winky face emoji... Claude why do you hate me?)

I was originally going to put "Thoughts on the Series X, which I will still call the Xbone" as my title, because I've been calling it that without fail every time my brother and I discuss it, but that character limit in the subject (Claude, why do you hate us?). Yeah, I don't think I'll ever be able to train myself to do it right.

Thoughts on the Series X

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 08:00 (1255 days ago) @ Korny

I was originally going to put "Thoughts on the Series X, which I will still call the Xbone" as my title, because I've been calling it that without fail every time my brother and I discuss it, but that character limit in the subject (Claude, why do you hate us?). Yeah, I don't think I'll ever be able to train myself to do it right.

haha!

But that's dumb

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 03:59 (1254 days ago) @ Korny

Xbone was funny because everyone hated the shitty name Xbox One. They probably wanted people to call it "The One" like we all said "The 360", but that backfired spectacularly.

Xbox One
X-b-one
Xbone

It rolls off the tongue and takes the piss out of the stupid name. Loved it.

But the new console is called the Series X. Saying Xbone for that doesn't make any sense.

But that's dumb

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 06:16 (1254 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

They probably wanted people to call it "The One" like we all said "The 360", but that backfired spectacularly.

Holy crap

But the new console is called the Series X. Saying Xbone for that doesn't make any sense.

Maybe now they want us to call it "The Sex"? The hell were they thinking indeed.

But that's dumb

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 07:50 (1254 days ago) @ ZackDark

They probably wanted people to call it "The One" like we all said "The 360", but that backfired spectacularly.

Holy crap

Maybe now they want us to call it "The Sex"? The hell were they thinking indeed.

SeXbone

That’s What I Call It.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 08:59 (1254 days ago) @ ZackDark

Xbone
Xbone XS
Sexbox

That’s What I Call It.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 05:31 (1253 days ago) @ Morpheus

Sexbox

I refer to it as the SexBox as well.

That’s What I Call It.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 15:23 (1253 days ago) @ unoudid

Sexbox

I refer to it as the SexBox as well.

"Cortana
[pregnant pause]
turn down the lights..."

"pregnant"?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 19:53 (1252 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Dammit Insane, Where Are You?! XD

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 20:38 (1252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You would know the perfect Cortana line for this like last time... rofl

Man, I'm glad I quit reading the books...

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, November 20, 2020, 05:20 (1252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

"pregnant"?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, November 20, 2020, 08:49 (1252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Classic.

"pregnant"?

by Robot Chickens, Friday, November 20, 2020, 12:49 (1252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Y'all made me second-guess whether I had deployed the correct word or misspelled something in my loaded phrase. A couple of confirmations later and my mind was at peace that I had accurately used the phrase.

Long story short, Google now thinks Rellekh is pregnant.

This is the best thing I've read this week.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, November 20, 2020, 14:01 (1252 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

I lol’d

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, November 20, 2020, 14:54 (1252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

When’s the baby shower

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 20, 2020, 15:22 (1252 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

As far as I can tell, PS5 is the choice for me

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 16, 2020, 12:36 (1256 days ago) @ Morpheus

Xbox is requiring online checks for physical games. Hard pass.

PS5 lets you just play when you insert a physical disc.

Game Over (for me anyway).

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 16, 2020, 13:13 (1256 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A quick google showed one story about that, and that story also reports that Xbox Support told him that’s not intended and due to some sort of error.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 16, 2020, 14:12 (1256 days ago) @ cheapLEY

A quick google showed one story about that, and that story also reports that Xbox Support told him that’s not intended and due to some sort of error.

Good to know. If false this should be rectified quickly. News spreads fast.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:44 (1255 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Thanks a lot, Twitter.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 09:07 (1255 days ago) @ breitzen

Thanks a lot, Twitter.

I actually saw this in a few review videos of the systems on youtube of what I believed were level headed reputable folks.

The Series X wasn't the Home Console yet.

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 17:56 (1254 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As long as you're using your Home console, there continue to be no issues playing your digital games. Nothing has changed.

Smart Delivery

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 06:36 (1254 days ago) @ Morpheus

I sort of made fun of Xbox advertising Smart Delivery. It seemed like the obvious way it should work. I guess I was wrong. That stuff on PS5 seems like an absolute shitshow. Saves may or may not transfer between versions, even if they do transfer, you have to also download the PS4 version of the game and manually transfer saves, each version has separate trophy lists, etc.

They really nailed Backwards Compatibility/Continuity

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 12:30 (1254 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 07:53 (1253 days ago) @ kidtsunami

What's the back compatibility for original Xbox titles? Can you play say, Halo or Indigo Prophecy on the new consoles?

This list can't be right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One#List_of_compatible_titles_from_Xbox

Halo isn't even on here…

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 08:13 (1253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What's the back compatibility for original Xbox titles? Can you play say, Halo or Indigo Prophecy on the new consoles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One#List_of_compatible_titles_from_Xbox

Halo isn't even on here…

Unfortunately I think the OG XBox Back Compat list is relatively brief.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 08:26 (1253 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 08:30

Halo isn't even on here…

This is insane. Why would they have focused their efforts on the games they did, and not HALO AND HALO 2.

Let me remind you that the classic mode graphics in Halo are STILL BROKEN in MCC. I'm willing to bet 343 will never fix it.

Halo and Halo 2 are more or less playable on the 360, but not if you do co-op split screen. It slows to a crawl.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 08:38 (1253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Halo isn't even on here…

This is insane. Why would they have focused their efforts on the games they did, and not HALO AND HALO 2.

Let me remind you that the classic mode graphics in Halo are STILL BROKEN in MCC. I'm willing to bet 343 will never fix it.

Halo and Halo 2 are more or less playable on the 360, but not if you do co-op split screen. It slows to a crawl.

Look I'm probably not the person you'd want calling the shots on the backwards compatibility team, but I will say this.

It's probably because when they were working on the backwards compatibility list for OG XBox to Xbox One, between MCC and Halo: Anniversary Edition, it wasn't worth the effort, those games were intended to satisfy the vast majority of the wants and needs of anyone interested in playing Halo: CE... I get that the issues you've got are non starters or are very upsetting, but it doesn't stop someone from getting roughly the same experience as the OG.

I'll put it this way, with the recent upgrades to MCC, I plan on playing through all the Halos again, and I'm 100% sure, even if they had backwards compat for Halo/Halo 2, I would not bother finding those disks and putting them in to play the OGs, because it would be as I call, too hard basket.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 08:50 (1253 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 08:55

I'll put it this way, with the recent upgrades to MCC, I plan on playing through all the Halos again, and I'm 100% sure, even if they had backwards compat for Halo/Halo 2, I would not bother finding those disks and putting them in to play the OGs, because it would be as I call, too hard basket.

I totally understand this, but it's just weird that the two literal best selling games on the Xbox are not part of the backward compatibility program. The whole idea behind back compat is to avoid having to buy the game again right? So the solution is to… buy the game again as MCC?

It just seems antithetical to the goal of the project.

The other part of me doesn't like this because an inferior version of Bungie's masterpiece is replacing the original, while at the same time claiming it's the 'classic' experience, when it isn't. I have literally had someone say "This doesn't look as good as I remember" and having to explain that was because it literally DOES look worse than the original.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 12:52 (1253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I totally understand this, but it's just weird that the two literal best selling games on the Xbox are not part of the backward compatibility program. The whole idea behind back compat is to avoid having to buy the game again right? So the solution is to… buy the game again as MCC?

Unfortunately yes. What would be better in their eyes—the customer using their own disc for free, or making them buy a $60 c/p port with achievements they have to earn again—and then buy another c/p for the PC?

Have you forgotten Play Anywhere?

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 16:45 (1252 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Microsoft Has!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 17:51 (1252 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

When that first started and they were touting it around like a baby made out of gold, I bought three digital games all advertised as play anywhere. Only one of them was free on PC. The others were full price. I don't even bother anymore.

Microsoft Has!

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 12:56 (1251 days ago) @ Morpheus

That genuinely doesn't make sense. If the game is labeled as Play Anywhere on the Xbox/Microsoft Store, it should be available in both libraries. I don't think I've ever heard this problem before.

Microsoft Has!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 14:45 (1251 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

That genuinely doesn't make sense. If the game is labeled as Play Anywhere on the Xbox/Microsoft Store, it should be available in both libraries. I don't think I've ever heard this problem before.

I just jumped into the Xbox store on my PC to see what I could see. I went to Forza 7, which is the last game I purchased (about 2 weeks before it was added to Gamepass... D'oh!). It is clearly labeled as a "Play Anywhere" title. I made sure I was logged into my account, and then tried to find a way to download it. It showed me an option to download the game for free through my Gamepass account, but the only way to "buy" the game was to pay for it again. I couldn't find any way to download it for free through the "play anywhere" system. So if it is there, it sure isn't easy to find.

Microsoft Has!

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 16:40 (1250 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I just jumped into the Xbox store on my PC to see what I could see. I went to Forza 7, which is the last game I purchased (about 2 weeks before it was added to Gamepass... D'oh!). It is clearly labeled as a "Play Anywhere" title. I made sure I was logged into my account, and then tried to find a way to download it. It showed me an option to download the game for free through my Gamepass account, but the only way to "buy" the game was to pay for it again. I couldn't find any way to download it for free through the "play anywhere" system. So if it is there, it sure isn't easy to find.

By Xbox store, I meant the one on the Xbox. You may have to acquire Play Anywhere games from the Microsoft Store on PC. That may be a bug, an oversight, or a missing feature in the PC "Xbox Store."

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 13:11 (1253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The other part of me doesn't like this because an inferior version of Bungie's masterpiece is replacing the original,

Gonna have to stop you right there, bud. It's lacking the original game's tessellation features, and a few textures have been slightly altered (which in all likelihood will change in the future), but you're gonna have a hard time convincing anybody it's an inferior version when it has...

Up to 4k resolution
Unlocked framerate
HDR
Vastly improved control options
Widescreen
20+ Skulls
Online Co-op
A campaign scoring/time system
Leaderboards for said system
New multiplayer custom game options
Online Multiplayer
6 more multiplayer maps
Online Fileshare

Plus more stuff I'm probably forgetting.

With features they've teased for the future...

Custom Campaign Settings
Custom Games Browser
Official Mod Support

And at that point, with those features

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 13:13 (1253 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

The other part of me doesn't like this because an inferior version of Bungie's masterpiece is replacing the original,

Gonna have to stop you right there, bud. It's lacking the original game's tessellation features, and a few textures have been slightly altered (which in all likelihood will change in the future), but you're gonna have a hard time convincing anybody it's an inferior version when it has...

Up to 4k resolution
Unlocked framerate
HDR
Widescreen
20+ Skulls
Online Co-op
Online Multiplayer
6 more multiplayer maps
Online Fileshare

Custom Campaign Settings
Custom Games Browser
Official Mod Support

I'd rather they fix/restore whatever visual issues in MCC rather than get back compat working...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 15:58 (1253 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Up to 4k resolution
Unlocked framerate
HDR
Widescreen
20+ Skulls
Online Co-op
Online Multiplayer
6 more multiplayer maps
Online Fileshare

Custom Campaign Settings
Custom Games Browser
Official Mod Support

I'd rather they fix/restore whatever visual issues in MCC rather than get back compat working...

343 is not ever going to fix the classic graphics. That’s what I’m saying. It’s been 9 years.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, November 20, 2020, 04:58 (1252 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316), Friday, November 20, 2020, 05:22

343 is not ever going to fix the classic graphics. That’s what I’m saying.

Why would you think that? It's low priority, but parity with the OGXbox version is still on the list.

As discussed in the June 2019 MCC Development Update

"Postums: With Halo: Combat Evolved coming after Halo: Reach, a lot of people have been asking about our planned improvements to HCE in order to bring it more in parity to the original Xbox version. Essentially, what we are planning to rework to be more aligned with legacy than the original Gearbox port to PC that is used in MCC.

Michael Fahrny: We’re not targeting it for the launch on PC, but we are continuing to investigate what we can do to bring CE back to parity of the original Xbox version.

But, what I can say, is we have dug up some original Xbox devkits that we are looking into utilizing.

Umm, also we do, well, I don’t want to publish this right now but, but we also have <ONI REDACTED> working on <ONI REDACTED> so when we’re ready to announce that, we will, but I don’t want to put that in this blog."

Speculation of the redacted bit: <Halo modder extraordinaire Kornman> working on <Halo: Custom Edition content integration>

It’s been 9 years.

It's actually been 17 years (MCC H1 is the PC port).

In the meantime, you may be interested in the fan-made HaloCE Refined project, a mod to restore HPC to the OGXbox version.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 20, 2020, 09:29 (1252 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, November 20, 2020, 09:43

If he's actually working on that, then that's great. You won't see any complaints here (and probably some compliments) the day the fixes actually arrive. I will say 343 appears significantly more committed to updating the MCC than most other developers of remasters.

It's actually been 17 years (MCC H1 is the PC port).

Well, 343 didn't have anything to do with that. That was Gearbox. 343 was responsible for Halo Anniversary which is when it became their problem.

However even if 343 fixed Halo to be faithful to the original, you'd still have to buy it again instead of just being able to use the discs you already have for Xbox… That's what's so surprising here. Holding up back compat as a way to bring all your games forward, and then not letting you bring the two literal best selling Xbox games forward. But hey, you can play Fusion Frenzy at least!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:13 (1252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

However even if 343 fixed Halo to be faithful to the original, you'd still have to buy it again instead of just being able to use the discs you already have for Xbox…

Would I? I can play Jedi Academy directly from the disc. H3 from disc also has improvements. In what I understand, both facts together are plenty of leeway to allow for fixed play from disc...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 20, 2020, 10:34 (1252 days ago) @ ZackDark

However even if 343 fixed Halo to be faithful to the original, you'd still have to buy it again instead of just being able to use the discs you already have for Xbox…

Would I? I can play Jedi Academy directly from the disc. H3 from disc also has improvements. In what I understand, both facts together are plenty of leeway to allow for fixed play from disc...

There is no back compat support for Halo and Halo 2.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, November 20, 2020, 15:27 (1252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is no back compat support for Halo and Halo 2.

Yet.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, November 20, 2020, 15:53 (1252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

However even if 343 fixed Halo to be faithful to the original, you'd still have to buy it again instead of just being able to use the discs you already have for Xbox… That's what's so surprising here. Holding up back compat as a way to bring all your games forward, and then not letting you bring the two literal best selling Xbox games forward. But hey, you can play Fusion Frenzy at least!

The difference is that you can already play H1&2 on the new console. Fusion Frenzy, and the rest of the OGX titles they've chosen so far, you can't.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 15:56 (1253 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

I’m referring to the graphics only. The classic graphics are not the same as the original. I’d they could keep them the same and add 4K and 60fps, then great. But they aren’t.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 16:47 (1252 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Up to 4k resolution
Unlocked framerate
HDR
Widescreen
20+ Skulls
Online Co-op
Online Multiplayer
6 more multiplayer maps
Online Fileshare

Custom Campaign Settings
Custom Games Browser
Official Mod Support

This is one of those cases where “better” can mean completely different things depending on what you care about. Cody, I believe, prioritizes the historical/archival nature of this issue. He wants to be able to play Halo CE... not an updated or tweaked version, he wants Halo CE exactly as it was originally released. That’s perfectly valid, and from his perspective I think it’s completely fair to consider the original game “better” than the MCC version. On the flip side, I’m sure Microsoft has plenty of data regarding player numbers and feedback towards the various releases of Halo CE over the years. I’d wager that their data shows them that relatively few players care at all about the graphical discrepancies. I bet most people who play the MCC version of Halo CE are using the remastered graphics anyway, aside from the occasional toggle back and forth just to enjoy the novelty of that feature.

Exactly

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 17:05 (1252 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Up to 4k resolution
Unlocked framerate
HDR
Widescreen
20+ Skulls
Online Co-op
Online Multiplayer
6 more multiplayer maps
Online Fileshare

Custom Campaign Settings
Custom Games Browser
Official Mod Support

This is one of those cases where “better” can mean completely different things depending on what you care about. Cody, I believe, prioritizes the historical/archival nature of this issue. He wants to be able to play Halo CE... not an updated or tweaked version, he wants Halo CE exactly as it was originally released. That’s perfectly valid, and from his perspective I think it’s completely fair to consider the original game “better” than the MCC version. On the flip side, I’m sure Microsoft has plenty of data regarding player numbers and feedback towards the various releases of Halo CE over the years. I’d wager that their data shows them that relatively few players care at all about the graphical discrepancies. I bet most people who play the MCC version of Halo CE are using the remastered graphics anyway, aside from the occasional toggle back and forth just to enjoy the novelty of that feature.

He's not necessarily wrong, it's just I don't think things are going to go the way he wants them to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 19:05 (1252 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is one of those cases where “better” can mean completely different things depending on what you care about. Cody, I believe, prioritizes the historical/archival nature of this issue. He wants to be able to play Halo CE... not an updated or tweaked version, he wants Halo CE exactly as it was originally released.

Not necessarily.

Halo CE was 4:3. I’m okay with a widescreen version. It was 480p. I’m okay with 1080p. Even though I had a copy of Last of Us for PS3, I played the remastered version on PS4. 60fps is fine.

Unless these technical things are super important (like the fog in Silent Hill for example), I’m mostly fine with these things being updated. The problem is when you have a classic mode with errors in the graphics versus the original.

Relax, they're adding more games.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 12:49 (1253 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's just the list that was available on XB1. OG Xbox was a relatively late addition to back compat before they switched focus to Series X.

I'm sure Halo 1/2 will be there at some point, I mean they made all 360 Halo games playable even though they were already on MCC. Halo 3 is even enhanced! Runs at 4k.

I have a few OGX games I want more though, since I'm pretty satisfied with MCC and I don't want to go back to 30fps.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
WWF Raw 1&2
King Kong (They made the 360 version work so why not)
Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue GOTY
Sega GT 2002
Jet Set Radio Future

Availability

by Oholiab @, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 11:20 (1251 days ago) @ Morpheus

Why the scarcity?
I get that demand is high, and we are in a global pandemic.
Is this intended: did MS and Sony limit initial runs to increase demand?
Or unintended: did MS and Sony underestimate demand?
Does it really take so long to produce units?
Are MS and Sony blaming lack of supply on COVID-19?

Genuine questions for anyone who knows more about this than I. I’m just trying to make a purchase, but no one wants my money!

Availability

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 12:04 (1251 days ago) @ Oholiab

This happens every launch. They can’t make enough consoles. Especially now, when the pandemic has affected manufacturing and shipping.

So, uh...The New Consoles.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 12:46 (1251 days ago) @ Morpheus

Graphics any better? ;-)

Dunky said something interesting:

Cutting edge graphics are no longer within reach for most major game studios

Part of me thinks thats because 4K is the target now, part of me think it's because tools like Unreal Engine 5 aren't widespread yet, and part of me thinks he's totally right and only the most expensive games will be able to make graphics that are "next gen".

Dev Mode (Series S/X)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 23, 2020, 06:46 (1249 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, November 23, 2020, 06:58

Why has nobody mentioned this yet? This seems rad.

You can pay 20 bucks to unlock a Dev Mode where you can run custom applications. You have to boot into Dev Mode, and it can't run commercial games, but you can just boot back into regular mode when you want to.

There's already a bunch of emulators you can use. I HEAR Retroarch is good (it sucked on the PI so I'm sus), and there's a shit ton of stuff you can emulate. I haven't heard about any other custom apps but I'm sure people will make more.

Seems smart because now there is zero incentive to jailbreak the system (and if this happens, you know immediately it's not in good faith and just there for pirated games).

Like… woah. This seems like it could be a really significant bonus. There's so much irony in the Xbox being able to play PS1 games, but the PS5 being unable to :-p

Dev Mode (Series S/X)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, November 30, 2020, 09:34 (1242 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Like… woah. This seems like it could be a really significant bonus. There's so much irony in the Xbox being able to play PS1 games, but the PS5 being unable to :-p

Looks like quite a few PS2 titles are playable as well. Not all perfectly, but apparently a lot of the big games work very well.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread