We're all Swift fans here right? (Non-Destiny related.) (Destiny)

by nico, Wednesday, December 02, 2020, 23:42 (1233 days ago)

We're all Swift fans here right? (Non-Destiny related.)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 05:21 (1233 days ago) @ nico

I can’t wait! That sounds excellent. I’m only marginally familiar with her stuff before Red, so I’m looking forward to listening!

Also, if you have Disney+, the folklore live session on there is fantastic.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 08:13 (1233 days ago) @ nico

Heh, even if you're not, that ad is pretty good.

For anyone not aware of the context, the song clip here is from a re-recorded version of Love Story, something Taylor's doing with all of her first 6 albums since she hasn't been able to obtain ownership of the original master recordings. I think it's the first we've heard of the new recordings.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 08:46 (1233 days ago) @ stabbim

It feels silly to be invested in the struggle between millionaires, but this is extra delicious. She’s been blocking the licensing if her back catalogue to fuck Scooter Braun as much as possible, so it’s great to see her use her new recording of her old music like this.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 10:10 (1233 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It feels silly to be invested in the struggle between millionaires, but this is extra delicious. She’s been blocking the licensing if her back catalogue to fuck Scooter Braun as much as possible, so it’s great to see her use her new recording of her old music like this.

Yeah, totally. I don't really look at it as a money thing. No one involved is hurting financially. But the way things were handled just makes me want to puke. That woman MADE Big Machine what it is, and the deal they tried to rope her into instead of just letting her buy her OWN WORK back (which she almost certainly has the money for) might have been legal but it was morally repugnant. And the thing is, it's not just the big names who are treated that way. We just don't hear about the small people record labels screw over.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 11:15 (1233 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah, totally. I don't really look at it as a money thing. No one involved is hurting financially. But the way things were handled just makes me want to puke. That woman MADE Big Machine what it is, and the deal they tried to rope her into instead of just letting her buy her OWN WORK back (which she almost certainly has the money for) might have been legal but it was morally repugnant. And the thing is, it's not just the big names who are treated that way. We just don't hear about the small people record labels screw over.

I live in Nashville. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone whose music dreams were crushed by record labels.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 11:32 (1233 days ago) @ bluerunner

I live in Nashville. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone whose music dreams were crushed by record labels.

I've always been curious...

Why are there so many dead cats in the south, and why does everyone swing 'em?

heat; boredom

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 12:44 (1233 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Pretty much

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 13:26 (1233 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 16:55 (1232 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've always been curious...

Why are there so many dead cats in the south, and why does everyone swing 'em?

It's so much easier than swinging live cats.

That’s the correct answer right there

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 17:46 (1232 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I can believe that

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 11:35 (1233 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

The high and low point of my musical career...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 15:18 (1233 days ago) @ bluerunner

... was the night I played in Nashville.

I was in Nashville on a business trip. Me and about a dozen or so music retail people from across Canada were flown down to Nashville by Gibson Guitars to go on a tour of their various factories. We spent a couple days in Nashville to tour the 2 factories there, then went to Memphis to visit another factory.

Our first night in Nashville, a small group of us went bar-hoping up the Main Street downtown. It was Sunday night, so most of the bars were featuring local bands. We ended up lingering at one bar in because the band playing was particularly fantastic (Nashville really is jam-packed with musical talent). The band went on a break, and my group ended up at the bar chatting with the singer and the guitar player. The guitar player stepped away for a few minutes, at which point the singer turned to us and said “so what are you guys doing in town?” Before I could answer, my co-traveler Matt pointed at me and said “oh, you don’t know who he is? He’s a huge deal in Canada!”. My jaw hit the floor, which gave Matt the opening he needed to dig out grave even deeper. “Reallly?” said the singer. “Oh yeah, big deal.” said Matt. “Well we’re almost done for tonight, but we’re playing across the street tomorrow night... you guys should come out and play a few songs if you’re still in town!”
“We’ll be there!” said Matt. (I should point out that at the time all this happened, Matt and I had only known each other for about 4 hours).

The next night, we decided to go bar hoping again, but agreed it was for the best that we don’t show up for our “gig”. 3 bars and 6 or 7 beers later, we’d forgotten all about that decision. We arrived at the venue and said hi to the band we had met the night before. They were on their break, and told us we could play a song at the start of their next set. Now it’s worth pointing out that on my best day, fully rehearsed, I might just barely be the caliber of guitar player who has any business getting on stage in Nashville on a Monday night. Maybe. Barely. Probably not. This particular night, after many adult beverages, playing a song I’d never played before with 3 guys I’d just met the night before... we’ll it was not my finest hour. I distinctly heard someone in the crowd shout “go back to Canada!”

But hey, I played in Nashville!

Lol! Great story!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 15:32 (1232 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sometime I'll tell you about being on stage with George Jones.

The high and low point of my musical career...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 17:07 (1232 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That was you I yelled at!?

Just kidding. That's awesome. Every time I take people downtown they are blown away at the talent playing up and down Broadway even on a random weeknight. I know a guy who is a phenomenal drummer. He fills in for bands all over town. One night it's country western, then next it's heavy metal. He can play anything. And all he has made is back to drummer to the bar bands.

If you're ever back down here let me know. I can tour you around and get you some proper hot chicken. And I don't really keep up with her, but I do know where one of Taylor's houses is at. She lived down the street from a guy I work with.

This story made my morning.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 04, 2020, 08:43 (1232 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 10:15 (1233 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If you check out the area around the dumpster when 2020 and Satan are taking a selfie, you'll see a broken scooter. Nice touch. :)

LOL

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 11:41 (1233 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 10:50 (1233 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is one fight where I have no problem rooting for the millionaire pop princess. The music industry might be even worse than Hollywood when it comes to the levels of corruption and exploitation that fuel the entire thing. Artists are used up and tossed aside like pieces of trash as a matter of course. And while actors can often find some level of solidarity together within their industry (it’s practically impossible to be an actor without meeting, collaborating, and developing relationships with other actors), musicians are kept further away from each other the more successful they become. It’s not a coincidence that so few bands make it to superstar status anymore. Bands often become something not unlike a family. Even if the internal workings of the group are full of conflict and drama, they’ll often close ranks and unify when faced with any kind of external threat (such as a manipulative manager or a label trying to push an exploitative contract). Labels would much rather put their money behind an individual who they can isolate, control, and grind into the ground while they milk them for everything they’ve got. That’s the other problem with bands. It’s far tougher to keep a whole group satisfied, so a band that’s getting pushed around is far more likely to have one or more members say “fuck this, I’m gone”, and then the label has lost their golden goose. A single pop star is far easier to prop up, even if their life is falling apart around them.

So I’m happy to cheer for Tay Tay on this one. It doesn’t matter how much money she has. If she wrote those songs, they should be hers. If she DIDN’T, well then we’re in a whole different situation [glances suspiciously towards Lady Gaga]. But I haven’t heard any credible claims of that kind regarding Taylor, so for the time being I’m rooting for her to stay in control and keep fighting. I only hope she manages to keep it together where so many musicians and pop stars before her have cracked or broken.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 14:05 (1233 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Very few anyone makes superstar status anymore. It’s not just the music industry. The days of say, movie stars are gone. The last one left in the classical sense is probably Tom Cruise.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, December 04, 2020, 08:19 (1232 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But I haven’t heard any credible claims of that kind regarding Taylor

I seriously doubt that you ever will. It's a point of personal pride for her that she writes her own stuff. She dropped her first development deal because they weren't going to let her release an album of her own material (imagine being the dunce who made that call) and wrote her entire 3rd album solo just because it annoyed her that people thought co-writers had been doing all the work.

Lady Gaga > Katy Perry > Taylor Swift

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 17:06 (1232 days ago) @ nico

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 17:45 (1232 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m torn on Lady Gaga. In some ways, I respect her a lot. But there has been plenty of buzz around her as a song thief... I have no idea if these accusations are true, but I remember thinking at the time that I was looking into them that the accusations were at least credible.
Giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming she hasn’t built her career by ripping people off, I just find her music boring. Her biggest hits will have a catchy line or two, and they get copy/pasted into a 3-4 minute song. To me, her stuff is a great example of how not to produce music. Most instruments and even some vocal parts are just 2-4 bar clips that repeat over and over and over, no variation, no motion or progression over the course of the track. There’s a certain amount of copy/paste in most modern music, but Gaga just takes it to a level that’s borderline comedic.

I like Katy Perry a lot more, I just think she (like Christina Agulera) was born in the wrong decade. IMO Katy Perry would’ve fantastic in the early 80s, in an actual band. She’s got enough growl in her voice to nail the whole new wave/post punk sound, and even if she stayed more “pop” she could give Pat Benatar a run for her money (seriously, Katy Perry doing something like Love is a Battlefield would be an absolutely perfect fit).

Taylor Swift is simultaneously my most and least favourite of the 3. Her music has gone so all over the place... when she clicks with what she’s doing, I think she’s fantastic. But then some of her music I find so obnoxious that I just can’t listen to it. I’ll always have a soft spot for her though. Kinda like the way I adore Kylie Minogue to this day, even though I only actually like 1 of her albums.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 18:50 (1232 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The movie she did with Bradley Cooper made me like Lady Gaga. Still not a huge fan of most of her music, but I like that soundtrack, and there’s no denying she’s got talent and a great voice.

I like Katy Perry, too, but she needs to quit trying to be a pop princess and expand a little. She’s got the voice for it.

Taylor Swift was smart enough to reinvent herself, multiple times now. She did the pop thing with 1989, then the bad girl pop thing with Reputation (which is a decent album, but that mood was a miss in my opinion). And now with Folklore she’s leaning into the sort of indie singer-songwriter thing, which I absolutely love.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, December 04, 2020, 06:45 (1232 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The movie she did with Bradley Cooper made me like Lady Gaga. Still not a huge fan of most of her music, but I like that soundtrack, and there’s no denying she’s got talent and a great voice.

I like Katy Perry, too, but she needs to quit trying to be a pop princess and expand a little. She’s got the voice for it.

Taylor Swift was smart enough to reinvent herself, multiple times now. She did the pop thing with 1989, then the bad girl pop thing with Reputation (which is a decent album, but that mood was a miss in my opinion). And now with Folklore she’s leaning into the sort of indie singer-songwriter thing, which I absolutely love.

This is pretty much where I fall too. They're all really talented, but TS has made incredibly smart moves for her career that the others haven't.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, December 06, 2020, 12:50 (1230 days ago) @ Cody Miller

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, December 06, 2020, 15:16 (1230 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This is gonna sound more critical than I mean it at first, but please bare with me.

I feel like I just watched a Barbara Streisand impersonator. Now, I say that believing that it takes an incredibly talented individual to do a half-decent impersonator of Streisand, so this isn’t a knock against Lady Gaga’s ability in any way. I just wish I could point to something she’s done and say “only she sounds like that”. Because I think she’s talented as heck. Like, I think she can sing circles around Madonna, yet most of her career seems to have been spent trying to look and sound like her.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread