OLED TV burn-in (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 21, 2020, 14:18 (1192 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Monday, December 21, 2020, 14:53

First let me say that I do not regret buying a my LG B7. I've yet to see a TV that really rivals its picture, although I'm sure newer models do so on the margins (and surely 8K will or does or something--my eyes are only so good at this point). I love movies as well as gaming, so I wanted the best I could get within reason. I wanted those inky blacks, and I got them. The perfect contrast ratio was more important to me than brightness.

I got burn-in y'all, which I found using this test video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvsweOB9Qys&t=33s

On the red screen and yellow screen, you can see a faint thin bar, which is the top border of the lower left Destiny HUD. There's also a faint youtube logo in the top left corner. I'm more surprised by that, actually. I do fall asleep watching videos sometimes, but I usually wake up to a video playing, not the browse screen. There's also some blotchy shadow in the middle of the screen, and I can't tell you where that comes from. That's the only thing that I THINK I've noticed during normal viewing, but all of it is subtle. I could live with it without noticing it 98% of the time, but of course it bothers me.

What to do to fix it? Nothing, it's permanent, but I found out that LG does have a one-time replacement plan for burn-in. I'm getting a new panel for the cost of labor. I'd heard that they have new software that is better at preventing burn-in, but the tech guy on the phone said that that won't work with older TVs, but this screen will be newer, more robust, and less susceptible to burn-in.

Anyway, I thought I'd post here because I know several of you bought LGs in 2017--some bought higher-end models than mine, but all LGs from the B7 up had the same panel.

Kermit

P.S. Yes, I used the pixel refresher when I thought about it. The guy on the phone said use it twice a week. I'm going to make it a routine when I game.

OLED TV burn-in

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 21, 2020, 15:14 (1192 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, December 21, 2020, 15:17

Who told you it was permanent? True burn in on OLEDs is rare. Temporary image retention is much more common, and it should go away. Burn in is really only a thing on CRTs.

On the other hand, you get a new panel for free so weeeeeee!

OLED TV burn-in

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 13:25 (1191 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Who told you it was permanent? True burn in on OLEDs is rare. Temporary image retention is much more common, and it should go away. Burn in is really only a thing on CRTs.

On the other hand, you get a new panel for free so weeeeeee!

A week of using Pixel Refresher hasn't made a dent, so I'm skeptical that it's temporary. There's also that fact that except for the mysterious blotch, it's exactly the burn-in I would expect.

That's not to say that the risk of OLED burn-in is overstated by many, or that the advantages of the technology don't outweigh the risk. LG tech support has something they call a burn-in one-time replacement policy that involves replacing $1000 screens. I don't think they'd do that if it wasn't real.

BTW, it won't exactly be free. Labor will be $300. Still worth it.

OLED TV burn-in

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 14:20 (1191 days ago) @ Kermit

I myself am somewhat skeptical of OLED right now. The only reason I'd get a new TV is for HDR. But with OLED, brightness is directly correlated with lifespan. And since HDR makes the display brighter… The decrease in longevity is basically linear with brightness.

Maybe things have changed in 4 years. Or maybe I'm a dinosaur.

OLED TV burn-in

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 15:03 (1191 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I myself am somewhat skeptical of OLED right now. The only reason I'd get a new TV is for HDR. But with OLED, brightness is directly correlated with lifespan. And since HDR makes the display brighter… The decrease in longevity is basically linear with brightness.

I wouldn't have chosen OLED if brightness was my main concern. For serious viewing. the lights in the room are dimmed anyway. Shelf life is an issue given the organic nature of OLED. I'm more worried about burn-in, especially now. I'm thinking that by the time I need a new TV, that will be worked out with some non-organic tech like mini-led.

OLED TV burn-in

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 15:43 (1191 days ago) @ Kermit

I wouldn't have chosen OLED if brightness was my main concern. For serious viewing. the lights in the room are dimmed anyway. Shelf life is an issue given the organic nature of OLED. I'm more worried about burn-in, especially now. I'm thinking that by the time I need a new TV, that will be worked out with some non-organic tech like mini-led.

Yeah you know how tech people are. Making a big deal out of things that may or may not actually matter. Who knows.

OLED TV burn-in

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, January 03, 2021, 11:31 (1180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you tweet the settings to prioritize it the latest OLED get about* 700-800 nits. It's not reference max brightness, given, but it's like 75% reference brightness that almost nobody is encoding into video anyway. That's incredibly bright for indoors. I don't think it's really an issue for most.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread