SGA request: IB Hand Cannon edition (Destiny)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 08:45 (1198 days ago)

I am on the IB quest step to get 15 HC kills. I am very, very bad with HCs; I basically never use them (even in PVE) and I want some advice on what to use for Iron Banner.

What HCs are good for Iron Banner? What armor perks should I check out? Weapon mods?

Thanks in advance.

SGA request: IB Hand Cannon edition

by squidnh3, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 09:12 (1198 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I am on the IB quest step to get 15 HC kills. I am very, very bad with HCs; I basically never use them (even in PVE) and I want some advice on what to use for Iron Banner.

What HCs are good for Iron Banner? What armor perks should I check out? Weapon mods?

Thanks in advance.

#nopromises, but:

For Iron Banner, obviously try to make sure it's at a higher power level.

This season, "Hand Cannon Targeting" is one of the Artifact Mods, so I'd make sure I have it enabled on the Artifact and put it on your Helmet. You can do this with a normal mod as well, but hand cannon mods tend to require quite a bit of energy, so you may have to sacrifice some other mods to accommodate them. "Unflinching Hand Cannon" on your Chest is also a good choice, and maybe "Hand Cannon Loader" or "Hand Cannon Dexterity" on your Gauntlets. I'd also recommend putting a targeting adjuster on the weapon itself, if not Exotic.

Hand cannons come in a wide variety, especially when you take into account Exotics. If you don't like hand cannons, the hand cannons that behave least like hand cannons are Last Word (sidearm-esque) and Crimson (shoots like a pulse rifle). Malfeasance is also a bit strange, but not particularly effective.

If you do want a more hand cannony hand cannon, the next decision would be ROF. I personally enjoy the low ROF/high impact hand cannons (120 RPM as of this season). Good examples would be Drang, True Prophecy, Crimil's Dagger (from Iron Banner last season) and The Steady Hand (this season's Iron Banner). The idea with these is that they do huge bursts of damage, but are punishing to miss shots, so what you want to do is peak shot, e.g., use cover to hide between shots. They are also incredible at cleaning up kills, even at long ranges. Think of these as the M6D from Halo 1.

For higher ROF hand cannons, there are the 140s, and the 180s. The 140s are sort of a utility style, they can still kill from range but might not finish enemies off quite as quickly. Ace of Spades or Hawkmoon are good choices. 180s start getting closer to sidearms with more range, they usually have higher stability and aren't so punishing for missing shots. I'm only seeing the Seven Seraph Service Revolver here as a non-sunset option.

Thanks!!

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 12:37 (1198 days ago) @ squidnh3

You gave me quite a few things to check out. I masterworked Crimson in PVE so that may be a good one for me to start with.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 11:44 (1198 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Sturm/True Prophecy/Dire Promise
Heck, just pick any 120/140 and you'll be fine.

Double HC targeting mods on your helmet (season artifact mod)
Double HC Unflinching mods on your chest (season artifact mod)
Hand Cannon loader on your gauntlets

If using a legendary HC, then throw a targeting adjuster mod on there also. If it's a 120 with 7-8 rounds in your mag, then use backup mag instead.

Thanks!

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 12:36 (1198 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Also...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, January 09, 2021, 07:21 (1196 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I forgot to mention this.

If you use the Taking Charge + High Energy Fire mods on your armor then you can 2-tap with a 120 HC when you have the charged with light buff.

Charged with Light works in Crucible?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, January 09, 2021, 08:27 (1196 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Yes but it's hard to make much use of it

by squidnh3, Saturday, January 09, 2021, 11:19 (1196 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Watch this video

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, January 09, 2021, 17:04 (1196 days ago) @ squidnh3

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 12:36 (1198 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Thanks in advance.

Look for Stability if you never use HCs. The jump can be a bit much if you aren't used to it. Furthermore, since you don't really use HC, it would be silly to recommend any legendary hand cannons as you would just shard or vault them later right? For you I'd reccomend one of these three exotics, should you have them;

CRIMSON- The Pulse Rifle of HCs. Extra healing on kills is a nice perk too!

THORN - Extra tic damage & slight wall hack through damage number system.

MALFEASANCE - 5 Body Hits Guarantee a kill (unless in super). VERY stable. Best part of this is if you are having ALOT of trouble, if you have team mates with this weapon you'll be able to get those kills easy.

Thanks!!

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 12:38 (1198 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I actually do have quite a few HCs in my vault because hoarding but yeah I will check out Crimson.

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 17:59 (1198 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I read this as extra TLC damage because my eyes were strained and it made for an amusing moment in my head.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, January 08, 2021, 04:34 (1198 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I read this as extra TLC damage because my eyes were strained and it made for an amusing moment in my head.

I read it as extra thic damage, and I was like, oh yeah, that's how I like my damage.

Use Seventh Seraph Revolver

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 14:12 (1198 days ago) @ marmot 1333
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, January 07, 2021, 14:18

Or Malfeasance, or any other 180.

They’re probably the worst in terms of top tier play, but they are the easiest to use, the most forgiving. Just spam shots at people with it, you’ll get those kills soon enough.

And now you’ve been advised to use any possible available hand cannon. (:

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread