1st TWAB on the 14th day, 2021: Changes and... good ideas?! (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 15:25 (1191 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50006

Topics include!

Rewards Update: Dreaming City and the Moon
[image]
Turn in those Tokens
[image][image]
(Note: Before any of us do such, I would like to know how much tokens y'all have accumulated.)
Taking a pass: Revenant Shatterdive & Fissures
[image]
Worldwide Community
[image]

Then the usual "Keeping You Updated" contents of patches and what not. Yet there is one topic of particular importance which I shall highlight here now.

DUST AND ECHOES
Almost nine years ago, stats and files from our previous franchise, Halo, stopped getting updated on Bungie.net. Since then, all stats, files, and other data from Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach have lived on in remembrance at halo.bungie.net.

On February 9, the halo.bungie.net website will be taken offline permanently. Everyone is welcome to save their stats and files, however they can, if they'd like to save anything. Please keep in mind that our News articles, Forums, and Groups were imported into the current version of Bungie.net back in 2013.

[image]

1st TWAB on the 14th day, 2021: Changes and... good ideas?!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 15:42 (1191 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Fixed an exploit where players could have "Shelter From the Storm" permanently applied in the Deep Stone Crypt raid.

RIP easy run to 1st chest.

So...who can find some time raid this weekend?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 15:55 (1191 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Why do they hate peoples being and to Masterwork armor?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 16:47 (1191 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 16:53

So you can get a single Ascendant Shard from each vendor per season, then you’ll get an exotic engram instead after resetting your rank.

Why does Masterworking even exist as a system if they seem to be morally opposed to anyone actually being able to do it?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:00 (1191 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So you can get a single Ascendant Shard from each vendor per season, then you’ll get an exotic engram instead after resetting your rank.

Why does Masterworking even exist as a system if they seem to be morally opposed to anyone actually being able to do it?

Especially with Sunsetting. It all becomes irrelevant after a time anyway, right? I guess well see how things look one Transmog becomes a thing.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:33 (1190 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Especially with Sunsetting. It all becomes irrelevant after a time anyway, right? I guess well see how things look one Transmog becomes a thing.

Maybe, but the difference between 5 masterworked pieces and 0 masterworked pieces is 60 points - that's a lot. Not remotely irrelevant, in my experience.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 22:25 (1190 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think he means “obsolete” more than irrelevant, as sunsetting will render your Masterworked gear useless eventually.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, January 15, 2021, 10:21 (1190 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think he means “obsolete” more than irrelevant, as sunsetting will render your Masterworked gear useless eventually.

Sure - but in the 9-12 months between now and then, I can get a lot of use out of masterworked gear.

In short, while I'm not thrilled with the shorter lifespan of sunsetted gear, I am NOT part of the group that believes that if it's going to be significantly below current power level in 10 months, it's useless now.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, January 15, 2021, 10:55 (1190 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oh, I’m not saying it’s useless now, but it makes it even more difficult to pick gear to actually spend the very limited materials on, because I know I’ll need a constant supply of those materials going forward. I would love to have multiple sets of masterworked armor so I don’t have to dig through my mods every time I switch from PvE to Crucible, but Bungie has created an economy where that will never ever happen for me.

They’re at the point where I literally have to grind to get little convenience in my experience, and, honestly, it’s fucking ridiculous.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, January 15, 2021, 11:09 (1190 days ago) @ Claude Errera

This is correct. "Obsolete" is a far better word to my intended observation. Thank you cheapLEY.

Sure - but in the 9-12 months between now and then, I can get a lot of use out of masterworked gear.

In short, while I'm not thrilled with the shorter lifespan of sunsetted gear, I am NOT part of the group that believes that if it's going to be significantly below current power level in 10 months, it's useless now.

It's all about the cost/effort ratio yes? You play a significant amount of Destiny, so naturally even with sunsetting, you'll get more out of it. You'll end up with getting more chances to receive materials to Masterwork Armors, be it with a flat bonus of a golf ball or by accrueing enough cores to turn them into another currency into then another currency.

Not everyone plays this game with such a concentration. As a result, for many masterworking is very very expensive at base. On top of that, now we will lose that investment with in a number of time not to exceed 12 months? That makes it even more expensive! I don't recall Bungie changing those metrics when sunsetting was introduced.

It still may be worth it, but I imagine its a real bear of a loop for a someone to try and slowly upgrade something, only for it to become obsolete shortly after. I would also like to reiterate that we don't yet know what kind of changes we may see to armors once Transmog comes to fruition.

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, January 15, 2021, 13:45 (1190 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Not everyone plays this game with such a concentration. As a result, for many masterworking is very very expensive at base. On top of that, now we will lose that investment with in a number of time not to exceed 12 months? That makes it even more expensive! I don't recall Bungie changing those metrics when sunsetting was introduced.

Yup. I had one piece of masterworked armor for a bit. When I masterwork, it is always weapons because once I've rolled a weapon I'm happy with I can stick with it. Armor configuration is much more mutable so it is never worth putting resources into.

It still may be worth it, but I imagine its a real bear of a loop for a someone to try and slowly upgrade something, only for it to become obsolete shortly after. I would also like to reiterate that we don't yet know what kind of changes we may see to armors once Transmog comes to fruition.

Transmog might make this more tenable.

The hope of Transmog and other thoughts

by Robot Chickens, Friday, January 15, 2021, 14:09 (1190 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I've seen a lot of this sentiment lately. My understanding of transmog is that it would allow us to reskin armor to appear as others. If that is correct, how does this address the investment/obsolete grind identified in this thread?

Am I wrong and has there been some other way transmog has been talked about by Bungie? If so, I would love to read about it. That being said, I would not put my hope in it until it is explicitly defined.

-------

Regarding Masterworks and Sunsetting, I thought that the goal was to control the sandbox over time so that previous dev decisions didn't haunt them for eternity. If that is the assumption, it really should only apply to guns and mods.

The only way I can see them justifying the sunsetting of armor is to keep people grinding. Honestly, I would play new activities just for the aesthetics/perks (such as that of raid gear). I don't need some sort of deprecation system in place to get me to play. In fact, like Cheaply, sunsetting armor actively makes me not want to play. It adds a subtle pressure to every investment decision (did I choose the wrong one?) that just doesn't work in a constant loot-stream game.

I'm pretty much on board with the decision to sunset guns because there appears to be a solid player-friendly end goal at the end: an evolving sandbox that has fun perks/combos that won't create power creep. In some ways it's an elegant solution. Armor Sunsetting feels like BS.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, January 15, 2021, 17:08 (1190 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I've seen a lot of this sentiment lately. My understanding of transmog is that it would allow us to reskin armor to appear as others. If that is correct, how does this address the investment/obsolete grind identified in this thread?

Am I wrong and has there been some other way transmog has been talked about by Bungie? If so, I would love to read about it. That being said, I would not put my hope in it until it is explicitly defined.

I think I've seen one thing talking about it, which is where I found the data I'm about to reiterate, but I have absolutely no idea where I found it or how official what I am recalling is. So THAT'S helpful... I guess. Real... real confidence booster, lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The keyword is "Stat Package". Armor as it is in Destiny 2 right now comes in two parts; Appearance and Stats. If you got some armor you liked the look of, you could grind for it and see if you could get better stats for it. Or you could not care, and just be a clashing hodgepodge of solid game play. Once we get the chance to change our appearance at will, (sans what we have with exotics for fairly obvious reasons) what is armor? What makes one set better than another? You might as well farm in raids or trails for the best stat package then, right? Everything else becomes obsolete in the purpose of the armor side of things. That on top of the mod system... which they are changing too right? Well... things are more in the air then we may suspect.

...and I'm going to stop there cause I think I see smoke coming out the ears.

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, January 16, 2021, 17:01 (1189 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

For me, it's the idea that I no longer have to choose armor based on its appearance. Having to deal with both style and stats means I'm always changing armor. Being able to transmog reduces how frequently I feel I need to change armor and makes the investment into a piece of armor more valuable.

I'm pretty much on board with the decision to sunset guns because there appears to be a solid player-friendly end goal at the end: an evolving sandbox that has fun perks/combos that won't create power creep. In some ways it's an elegant solution. Armor Sunsetting feels like BS.

I'm actually with you on that, I don't understand armor sunsetting at all.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 12:38 (1188 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

For me, it's the idea that I no longer have to choose armor based on its appearance. Having to deal with both style and stats means I'm always changing armor. Being able to transmog reduces how frequently I feel I need to change armor and makes the investment into a piece of armor more valuable.

As it just so happens, folks on the Subreddit have been talking about Transmog, and the current top comment notes the below;

We will be adding a Transmogrification feature to Destiny 2.

• This will allow players to turn their Armor into Universal Ornaments.
  • We plan to allow players to do this with in-game effort OR Silver.
  • This feature is in early development and is expected sometime during Year 4.

That is quoted from a TWAB dated last year, in the 7th of May. (Here is the DBO vers.)

So, in short, it seems it may be more of an investment then we realize, should it pan out as is implied here. And yes, there are folks who are wondering why this wouldn't just be free/part of the game?

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 14:36 (1188 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So, in short, it seems it may be more of an investment then we realize, should it pan out as is implied here. And yes, there are folks who are wondering why this wouldn't just be free/part of the game?

Getting real close to dropping this game for good.

#codywasfuckingright

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 18:40 (1187 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Me too.

Every other game I’ve ever played that has Transmog let’s you do it for free or cheap in game resources. I’ve been playing The Division 2 for the past week, and that game lets you do it immediately for zero cost at all—you just have to have found the item you want to display before. That’s it. Leave it to Bungie to try and extract as much money as possible.

If they really want to let you buy it with silver, fine. But if the alternative is thousands of bright dust, it might actually be the thing that breaks me. I bet it will cost bright dust though, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same price as buying the ornament sets from Eververse.

#codywasfuckingright

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 20:09 (1187 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Me too.

Every other game I’ve ever played that has Transmog let’s you do it for free or cheap in game resources. I’ve been playing The Division 2 for the past week, and that game lets you do it immediately for zero cost at all—you just have to have found the item you want to display before. That’s it. Leave it to Bungie to try and extract as much money as possible.

If they really want to let you buy it with silver, fine. But if the alternative is thousands of bright dust, it might actually be the thing that breaks me. I bet it will cost bright dust though, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same price as buying the ornament sets from Eververse.

Wow. A Free-to-play game which requires a cool thing everyone wants to be either earned through frictions or bought for real money. WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS

#codywasfuckingright

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 20:19 (1187 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To be fair, it hasn’t actually happened yet, we have no idea what it’s going to cost.

Be let’s be real. If anyone really thinks it will be anything approaching reasonable, I have a bridge to sell them.

#codywasfuckingright

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 09:52 (1186 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Ehhh. I'm not convinced it won't be reasonable. There are not that many armor sets in the game, and each season they dump bright dust on you from XP progression, to say nothing of the daily/weekly bounties. I could imagine it being hard for people who don't buy the season passes, but that seems to be the way of things now - recurring charges for cosmetic things fund "free-to-play" games?

#codywasfuckingright

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 10:37 (1186 days ago) @ Vortech

but that seems to be the way of things now - recurring charges for cosmetic things fund "free-to-play" games?

The idea of "don't put up barriers to fun" in your game is now the opposite of what is common and expected.

Token Verification from dmg04

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 16:57 (1191 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This is gonna be painful. :(

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 16:59 (1191 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Turn in those Tokens
[image][image]
(Note: Before any of us do such, I would like to know how much tokens y'all have accumulated.)

Every once in a while, when I feel like I'm spending too many legendary shards, I drop 1000 Crucible tokens with Shaxx. It takes a while (maybe 10 minutes), because I have to stop each time i get to about 20 items in my postmaster, then walk over and delete all those (and the ones now on my character), then back to Shaxx to do it again.

I've got 24,000 left. :(

Whatever I don't turn in gets deleted in 4 weeks. That's a lot of standing and turning in time - which I guess I could skip, if I felt like throwing away a few thousand shards. (Which I don't.)

:(

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:03 (1191 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've got 24,000 left. :(

Whatever I don't turn in gets deleted in 4 weeks. That's a lot of standing and turning in time - which I guess I could skip, if I felt like throwing away a few thousand shards. (Which I don't.)

:(

Oof. Currently sitting on 13,599 myself, plus how ever more I get this season in my occasional Crucible plays.

I think I'm going to let them go

by squidnh3, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:05 (1191 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I have 23,666 Crucible tokens. I have 24,814 Legendary Shards. I don't think there's any reason I need to spend hours turning one into the other at this point.

In other news, I now have 3 stacks of mod components. Is there any way of getting rid of them other than tediously dismantling them one by one?

I think I'm going to let them go

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 17:31 (1190 days ago) @ squidnh3

I have 23,666 Crucible tokens. I have 24,814 Legendary Shards. I don't think there's any reason I need to spend hours turning one into the other at this point.

I've only got 4k shards, so throwing away maybe 2x that much seems... unwise.

In other news, I now have 3 stacks of mod components. Is there any way of getting rid of them other than tediously dismantling them one by one?

I've got 5 stacks. I don't think so. :(

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 21:56 (1190 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I’ve only got a bit over 1,000 of each set of tokens. I really don’t want to log in just to turn them in for shards (I’m at around 3,000). I’ll be pissed at myself later if I don’t, though.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, January 15, 2021, 16:19 (1190 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I have 4123 crucible tokens. I've been spending a lot of legendary materials this season at The Spider, though, buying enhancement cores & prisms. I think I started out at 10k and I'm around 3k now.

So even though cashing in all these tokens will take a while, I'll probably end up with some masterworked exotic armors.

I cashed them in

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, January 16, 2021, 09:35 (1189 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I cashed in all my tokens and kept track of my material gains. In some ways, it wasn't as much as I expected. See more here.

4123 crucible tokens ->
+832 legendary shards (20.18 per 100 crucible tokens)
+624 weapon parts (15.13 per 100 crucible tokens)
+49 enhancement cores (1.19 cores per 100 crucible tokens)

[image]

[image]

[image]

I cashed them in

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, January 16, 2021, 12:29 (1189 days ago) @ marmot 1333

DIM has so many sword rolls in the wishlist and I have so little idea how to evaluate them myself…

I cashed them in

by marmot 1333 @, Saturday, January 16, 2021, 12:47 (1189 days ago) @ Vortech

Others players are definitely different but I never use swords to block, so for my playstyle the ideal roll is Relentless Strikes + Whirlwind Blade (three quick light attacks gives back ammo + rapid strikes increase damage).

I think Whirlwind blade can stack like 5x but they might have changed that.

For Falling Guillotine this is an insane roll, just spam quick attack and do a power attack whenever there are three or more enemies around. I routinely kill Savek (Fallen crypto hunt boss) before he teleports, for instance.

Feelin real bummed out about the loss of Halo.Bungie.net

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 18:01 (1190 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I visit every so often just to reminisce.

Absolutly befuddling that they never had anything apporoaching this level of stat aggregation for Destiny.

me, too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 15, 2021, 07:00 (1190 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

I sometimes lookup a Destiny game

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, January 15, 2021, 08:43 (1190 days ago) @ CyberKN

Absolutly befuddling that they never had anything apporoaching this level of stat aggregation for Destiny.

And it just leaves me asking "ok so what actually happened in this game?".

I sometimes lookup a Destiny game

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 15, 2021, 09:02 (1190 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And it just leaves me asking "ok so what actually happened in this game?".

Was Halo: Reach the peak of support in general? I certainly took advantage of the online film rendering and file share in and out of the game, but heat maps were still a feature, correct?

We didn't know how good we had it.

About 11k.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 20:39 (1190 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, January 16, 2021, 16:42 (1189 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

To answer your question, I got somewhat lucky—I only have 4k of each. I have 17,264 gunsmith parts, though. Too many weapons for me to clear out first, ironically. lol

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, January 17, 2021, 12:40 (1188 days ago) @ Morpheus

To answer your question, I got somewhat lucky—I only have 4k of each. I have 17,264 gunsmith parts, though. Too many weapons for me to clear out first, ironically. lol

Glad I don't need to do much with gunsmith parts (yet?)... as I'm currently sitting on a war chest of a little under 30k.

The Season of ManKitten

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 18, 2021, 06:42 (1187 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Apparently, I'm the only person that has really enjoyed this latest season, and just Destiny in general. I've just finished whatever quests I've built up and am now working on Europa triumphs. There is still a lot of content I've not done, for instance I've never done a D2 raid. The master lost sectors are a giant nope. The Empire hunts are fun, as are the weekly Bray exo challenge things. My light level is around 1260 so it's finally viable for me to be competitive in most activities. Considering I play solo 98% of the time and patrols are my bread and butter...I've really been enjoying this season.

I've stopped caring about armor and cosmetics because that's a futile effort anymore. Been using a hand cannon/scout rifle combo that is fun. Definitely not the best options out there, but they are fun to use.

The Season of ManKitten

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 18, 2021, 07:17 (1187 days ago) @ ManKitten

FWIW, I really enjoyed Beyond Light. I had as much fun with it as I did Forsaken (though for not as long).

The main experience of Destiny remains incredible. The bullshit surrounding it continues to get worse, however, and in a way that isn’t easily overlooked or ignored. I’d love to do some Grandmaster Nightfalls for instance, because I love difficult content. I can’t though, because the power level system still blows, and Bungie doesn’t think well over a hundred hours since Beyond Light is enough to be allowed to participate in that activity. Fuck me for wanting to play fun activities with my friends instead of just focusing on the next Pinnacle I need, right?

Reissuing weapons.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 18, 2021, 07:52 (1187 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Sweet. Thanks for letting me try and grind for another Waking Vigil like the fully Masterworked one I deleted last month because it was useless.

What the fuck is wrong with the people making decisions over there? Has anyone checked their building for a gas leak? Body replacing aliens? Anything to make this make any sense?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread