Xbox Live price increase (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, January 22, 2021, 12:54 (1183 days ago)

(Since most of us here roll Xbox, figured this would be a nice heads up for those who might miss this.)

Official Post | Ars Technica

• One month: $11/month (previously $10/month)
  • Three months: $30, $10/month (Previously $25, $8.33/month)
  • Six months: $60, $10/month (Previously $40, $6.67/month)

In comparison the top tier of Xbox Game Pass, which includes "Gold", is currently $15 a month after promo pricing drops.

Xbox Live price increase

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 22, 2021, 13:58 (1183 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, January 22, 2021, 14:04

Damn, Six months went up by FIFTY PERCENT. That is insane that Xbox Live is literally twice as much as PSN+ (4x as much if you use deals).

That's what you get for all your "free" games on gamepass.

Xbox Live price increase

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, January 22, 2021, 15:22 (1183 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Damn, Six months went up by FIFTY PERCENT. That is insane that Xbox Live is literally twice as much as PSN+ (4x as much if you use deals).

Yeah, depending on how much you play. It's still pays for itself 5 times over. And that is for a casual gamer like myself. Someone who has way more time than me? Probably way more.

Guess what? Gym memberships are really expensive if you only go once a week too. I probably shouldn't have used this as an example cause you probably think gym memberships are terrible too but meh. It's the same idea. Subscription vs buying all of the equipment.

Xbox Live price increase

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 22, 2021, 18:20 (1183 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Guess what? Gym memberships are really expensive if you only go once a week too. I probably shouldn't have used this as an example cause you probably think gym memberships are terrible too but meh. It's the same idea. Subscription vs buying all of the equipment.

If your goal is to actually get fit, then not at all. It's a relatively small expenditure AT FIRST to get your foot in the door. Once habits have been formed, THEN you drop the membership and buy the equipment yourself.

But that's a totally different thing lol.

Xbox Live price increase

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, January 22, 2021, 21:35 (1182 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Huh? This is not talking about game pass.

Xbox Live price increase

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 22, 2021, 22:28 (1182 days ago) @ Vortech

Huh? This is not talking about game pass.

I know that. But they are passing off the cost onto the folks who don’t have it and/or pushing them to just straight up get game pass.

Notably...

by squidnh3, Friday, January 22, 2021, 15:53 (1183 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The price stays the same for you if you just keep renewing, which would expect to keep doing for the foreseeable future.

Xbox Live price increase *UPDATE*

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, January 22, 2021, 21:03 (1183 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

“ We messed up today and you were right to let us know. Connecting and playing with friends is a vital part of gaming and we failed to meet the expectations of players who count on it every day. As a result, we have decided not to change Xbox Live Gold pricing.”

Also they are working on F2P games not requiring XBL Gold.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cool

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, January 22, 2021, 22:29 (1182 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Saturday, January 23, 2021, 16:41 (1182 days ago) @ breitzen

“ We messed up today and you were right to let us know. Connecting and playing with friends is a vital part of gaming and we failed to meet the expectations of players who count on it every day. As a result, we have decided not to change Xbox Live Gold pricing.”

Also they are working on F2P games not requiring XBL Gold.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

They are "New Coking" us. I don't know how...but the fix is in. This is all very odd.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 25, 2021, 09:30 (1180 days ago) @ ManKitten

They are "New Coking" us. I don't know how...but the fix is in. This is all very odd.

I have to believe that it's equally likely that what they learned here was not "don't raise the price" but "raise the price in a slower, less obviously outrageous way". Making F2P games not require an XBL subscription is just matching Playstation policy, but also would be a key step is eliminating a separate BBL Gold tier and just rolling it into Game Pass. Xbox charging more/at all for online play was the norm until the previous generation when Sony matched their pricing. Part of me thinks it would seem normal that they would want to go back to that, but part of me also says a lot has changed since the 360. Windows gaming is far more popular and democratized, but it's still complicated, fiddely, and expensive up front compared to console gaming. It's hard for me to know how they see Xbox stacking up against it as an option.

One thing is for sure, this was not the single bad call people are sometimes describing it as. They removed the long-term XBL subscription options for non-renewals months ago before the Series S|X launched, and there are photos of B&M retailers getting the new double-price XBL gift cards, which goes to show that they can't just change these prices on a whim.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread