Anyone Know How to Extract Voice Clips? (Gaming)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 16:48 (1179 days ago)

I'm in the middle of working on a video, and I wanted to get some voice clips from a handful of Steam Games. Unfortunately, a google search mostly came up with using WinDirStat, which isn't really that helpful, especially when the sound files are hidden and/or encrypted. So, I wanted to see if anyone here(I'm guessing Cody? ;-)) would have any knowledge on how to do that, other than just turning down sound effects and hoping I get lucky.

Anyone Know How to Extract Voice Clips?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 20:24 (1179 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 20:29

I'm in the middle of working on a video, and I wanted to get some voice clips from a handful of Steam Games. Unfortunately, a google search mostly came up with using WinDirStat, which isn't really that helpful, especially when the sound files are hidden and/or encrypted. So, I wanted to see if anyone here(I'm guessing Cody? ;-)) would have any knowledge on how to do that, other than just turning down sound effects and hoping I get lucky.

You have a few options:

1. If someone has created a tool to extract sounds for the particular game, use that.
2. Turn off all sounds but the voice from in the options menu of the game and record.
3. Record in surround sound and just use the center channel, which is usually voice only

You may get lucky though. I just opened a game I had here on OS X by right clicking and doing "show package contents". Exploring the subdirectories, there were just .wav files for a lot of sounds.

Anyone Know How to Extract Voice Clips?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, February 02, 2021, 20:53 (1172 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, I was able to find a good tool, which is actually really user friendly and got a lot of amazing quality voice clips and sound effects....but not what I was really looking for. So I'll just try and recreate them and just record the voice isolated. Thanks for the info though!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread