Season of the Chosen feels good so far. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, February 09, 2021, 15:35 (1164 days ago)

I feel like they’ve done a lot of things right. Ticcu’s Divination feels good against Invaders and trash mobs alike, I’m finding it useful in comp, even, to countersnipe and put a bit of damage on fleeing enemies or groups.

Every new legendary I’ve played with (bow, SMG, Sniper) feels new and useful.

I’m a bit sad that the battlegrounds aren’t 6-player fireteams. On the other hand, the battleground missions I’ve run feel like they rely more on powers and supers than strictly marksmanship; which suits me just fine.

I can’t find any downsides just yet, aside from random crashes when starting activities; which Bungie Help says they’re investigating.

How’s everyone else feeling?

~m

18+| I have cuss'd so much today. Shoot, where do I start...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, February 09, 2021, 21:49 (1164 days ago) @ Malagate

(Hey there. This is the back of INSANEdrives head speaking. Yeah I know, I'm not sure how I'm doing it either... but regardless, I know that the real test of this season happens after two weeks passes by and all the happy shiny new ha-ha loses the momentum of their shine. But with my whispering of that made known...)

HOLY SHIT THAT'S SO COOL!

FUCKITY FUCK THAT'S FUCK'N LIT!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! SHIT! FUCK! BUGGER! TAP DANCEING TITS!! You get the idea.

SENTENCE ENHANCERS!

Shoot, where do I start?

Well... I like bows. They make my hair look FABULOUS! Also, I like bows, they also make my hair look FABULOUS as I turn around and put on sunglasses as the explosive based perk does its work. YEAH! Speaking of explosions, has anyone here had time to play with TICUU'S DIVINATION? Simple to use, but to master it... *Chefs Kiss*. PVE. PVP. Where ever. YES! I look forward to getting the catalyst on this sucker. Also... how do you say that name? I tried to sound it out and ended up tell'n my self gesundheit.

So now we have an exotic bow for every light subclass type, and each one has an area clear type perk. Which is FANTASTIC, 'cus has anyone seen/peeked at the new exotic armors? Before I get to that... HOLY SHIT... WTF IS THAT HUNTER EXOTIC! KILL IT WITH FIRE! DO IT NOW BEFORE THE EGGS HATCH. OMG. OMG. And then there is the Titan one... it's cool, I guess, BUT THE WARLOCK ONE! EVERYTHING IS BAD JU JU WITH THE WARLOCK ONE! So now I can get SOME SWEET BOW ACTION with some SWEET Super Action. Ohhhh. Look'n forward to that!

AND THE NEW PERKS! OH! Check it (you'll have to scroll a little to find 'em)! Ignoring "Causality Arrows", which is the for the exotic bow, these legendary perks are cool! I actually just got a SMG with Frenzy, it's a BLAST to use. Oh, and on top of that... desperado returns!

And then there is H.E.L.M. ... and I'm going to quote my self here... *AHEM*

"Ok Bungie, where is it? Where's the apartment, is it this door? No. This one... no, not this one either. You made a totally separate private space that is not connected to the tower, with wood flooring no less, and we have no "Guardian apartment"? Ok ok, fine, well at least there has to be a hall to test out the wepons right, I mean we even have the UI enabled here (unlike the tower)... no... no gun testing hall or... anything. Hmm."

Hey, it's fine though. It's a new space, and I look forward to BUNGIE expanding the H.E.L.M. I LOVE that I can go from postmaster to vault in a hop and a skip. Fantastic.

I do have one complaint though. JUST ONE. (For now.) WHY IS CROW IN EARSHOT OF THE MAIL/VAULT KIOSKS! You were SO CLOSE Bungie. SO CLOSE! For the last, oh, year or so... when I've sorted stuff in the tower, I turned off the voice audio (which by the way got merged with something else in the setting now). I DON'T NEED TO HEAR ABOUT WORMSPORE 1000X over while I'm trying to organize my stuff. I don't need to hear your FUCK'N Drug-pusher clucking about FUCKING Fenchurch! ...and by the way FUCK THAT GUY JUST BECAUSE. I GET IT. HE'S NEVER THERE. SHUT. UP.

...oh...I'm sorry... I digress. Oh that's been there for awhile now man, oh... where was I? I feel better now. Um... oh... and so every-time-I've gone to the-tower, verbal-audio-off.

So when we finally can have some SWEET SWEET peace and quiet, with the added bonus of OPTIMAL placement between the Vault, Postmaster, and Umbriel kit (plus hey, some Deep Stone Lullaby)... I GET TO HEAR 'IS SHIT ON LOOP! YOU HAVE CROW YACKING ABOUT how Ikora is ignoring him, and how Osiris is not like other Warlocks and (worryingly lore wise) him whistling Savathûns song. WHY! YOU WERE SO CLOSE BUNGIE! It's been a DAY and I ALREADY know all that he says on loop. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

So now I have to turn audio off in there too. Bleh.

Ah.... anything else... OH! The Perks on SALVAGER'S SALVO? Nice. Battleground feels like it should be a 4 man deal to me. I like how big the spaces are, but... man... just three folks makes things feel so exposed. At least with 4 you can tag team up 2 & 2 and get things done.

...and uh, yeah. I may have missed a thing or two, but over all, I think I've given a uh, decent jest.

Nice stuff.

Season of the Chosen feels good so far.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 06:49 (1164 days ago) @ Malagate

Same. The weapons all feel good so far, the new perks have been fun to experiment with, and Battlegrounds are fun! As a GamePass player (didn't actually purchase Beyond Light) I finally got my hands on No Time To Explain, so I got two new exotics to use/catalysts to work on!

Haven't unlocked the new Stasis Aspect for the Warlock, but it looks awesome.

Leveling feels nice too. Clear weekly challenges that I don't have to grab from a vendor are a huge plus IMO.

HELM is OK. I still think Destiny relies too much on vendors and running around wasting time item managing, but alas that seems to be too core to the game.

Overall Day 1 of this season gets a thumbs up from me.

Mixed feelings so far

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 07:35 (1164 days ago) @ Malagate

I feel like they’ve done a lot of things right. Ticcu’s Divination feels good against Invaders and trash mobs alike, I’m finding it useful in comp, even, to countersnipe and put a bit of damage on fleeing enemies or groups.

Every new legendary I’ve played with (bow, SMG, Sniper) feels new and useful.

I’m a bit sad that the battlegrounds aren’t 6-player fireteams. On the other hand, the battleground missions I’ve run feel like they rely more on powers and supers than strictly marksmanship; which suits me just fine.

I can’t find any downsides just yet, aside from random crashes when starting activities; which Bungie Help says they’re investigating.

How’s everyone else feeling?

~m

I’m torn. In certain ways, I think this season is already a big improvement over last season. On the one hand, that’s not saying much since I thought last season was mostly atrocious (with the exception of the Hawkmoon quest and mission), but I really do like some of what we’re seeing this season. I think the HELM is really cool, both as a destination as well as a narrative delivery device. I’d actually prefer to have the HELM fully replace the tower at this point, just to save myself the time of running from vendor to vendor.

I really love the new bow. It reminds me of Malfeasance, in that it really comes to life in situations where multiple teammates are all running with it together. The “tag an enemy with a homing hipfire shot and then make them explode with an ADS shot” mechanic works in team-fire situations. I went into crucible with a clanmate, and we worked together; I’d tag every enemy I could with the hip-fire homing arrows, while he fired precision shots. Together, we were setting off explosions non-stop. It was great!

The new Battlegrounds activity is... fine, I guess. But boy does it feel like a misuse of resources in a way. After completing the intro quest (which involves running a couple Battleground activities), I jumped into a fireteam with a couple clan mates who had started playing about an hour earlier than me, and they both commented on how sick of the battlegrounds they already were. Later that night, I was playing with Korny and Claude, and they too both commented on how uninterested they were on doing more of this activity. It’s the first day, and this activity is already feeling worn out after a handful of completions. I think it’s fine as a little diversion to jump into on occasion with friends, but as the primary activity of the season it really falls flat IMO. There just isn’t enough to it.

This is where I have a tough time judging the new content purely on its own merits. Battlegrounds is a perfectly adequate little diversion, but it has all this weight put on it because the rest of the game is in such dire shape. I’ve been highly critical of Beyond Light, but I’m starting to think that I may have underestimated how much damage Bungie has done to this game over the past ~16 months, especially with Beyond Light. It just feels like there’s nothing left in this game, which is crazy because there is technically tons of stuff to do. But I think the core pillars of the game, the bread-and-butter activities like strikes, crucible, and gambit are either boring (strikes), tedious (gambit), or a complete fucking disaster (crucible). Sunsetting has largely killed my investment in my gear, and I don’t see how the PvP side of the game will ever recover from the addition of Stasis.

So I think the game is in this really awkward spot where each new season comes along and says “hey, we’re going to redecorate your house with some fresh wallpaper and maybe a nice little throw-rug for the living room”, meanwhile the roof has been leaking for months, the toilets don’t flush, and tree in the backyard blew over and crushed the master bedroom, and the kitchen is on fire. This season, I think I really do like the new wallpaper! It’s just... not what is truly needed right now, I don’t think.

Mixed feelings so far

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 10:27 (1163 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The new Battlegrounds activity is... fine, I guess. But boy does it feel like a misuse of resources in a way. After completing the intro quest (which involves running a couple Battleground activities), I jumped into a fireteam with a couple clan mates who had started playing about an hour earlier than me, and they both commented on how sick of the battlegrounds they already were. Later that night, I was playing with Korny and Claude, and they too both commented on how uninterested they were on doing more of this activity. It’s the first day, and this activity is already feeling worn out after a handful of completions. I think it’s fine as a little diversion to jump into on occasion with friends, but as the primary activity of the season it really falls flat IMO. There just isn’t enough to it.

That’s been the case since day one with the seasonal model. Vex Offensive was boring after three runs. So was the Sundial. I’m not sure I even did three runs of Warmind basketball. The Public Event from two seasons ago was surprisingly fun, but that might just be because it had been like six months since I’d really played Destiny at that point. The Wrathborn Hunts were boring the first time, I can’t even imagine playing enough to do all those Triumphs.

Even going back to Black Armory or Menagerie . . . they’re miles better than the current offerings, but even they’re not strong enough to base an entire season around.

Unlike you, I loved Beyond Light. It was a really fun loop. I look forward to playing the new expansion in the fall and doing it again with some real new content instead of these three month grinds for no reason. I understand why they are doing the seasonal thing, and I don’t hate them for it. It just sucks all of the fun out of the game. Turning off the power grind would make all of the other faults with the game not matter for me, and I’d jump right back in. I should not have to decide between playing whatever activity my friends are currently doing or playing the activity Bungie has dictated I need to do that I can power up. Until they fix that, the seasonal model is fundamentally broken.

I saw a thread on twitter the other day. One of the UI guys at Bungie said he thought it was funny that he keeps seeing people online theorizing that the game is being supported by a skeleton crew because there’s more people on it now than there has been for a long time. I was confused, because he said that proudly, whereas it actually seems like that would be fucking embarrassing, given the state of the game. For me, it encapsulated the entire relationship between Bungie, the game, and the players. It feels like they fundamentally misunderstand just about everything about the game they’re making and what the players of that game actually want.

Anyway, sorry for coming in here and taking a big dump. A new season is usually enough to get me to at least jump back on and see what’s new. Instead I uninstalled the game when I realized I was looking at weeks of playing the same old shit so I could level up enough to maybe do whatever cool new mission they might drop later in the season. It’s a bummer to not want to play Destiny, but I’m just so tired of not actually being able to play the game in a way that’s enjoyable.

So my thought on the new season is that Apex Legends sure is fun!

Mixed feelings so far

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:41 (1163 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s been the case since day one with the seasonal model. Vex Offensive was boring after three runs. So was the Sundial. I’m not sure I even did three runs of Warmind basketball. The Public Event from two seasons ago was surprisingly fun, but that might just be because it had been like six months since I’d really played Destiny at that point. The Wrathborn Hunts were boring the first time, I can’t even imagine playing enough to do all those Triumphs.

Even going back to Black Armory or Menagerie . . . they’re miles better than the current offerings, but even they’re not strong enough to base an entire season around.

I would like to interject that the Sundial was very underrated. Not as solid as Menagerie, but I do recall having a real blast with it. Note here too that both modes were 6 man activities.

I saw a thread on twitter the other day. One of the UI guys at Bungie said he thought it was funny that he keeps seeing people online theorizing that the game is being supported by a skeleton crew because there’s more people on it now than there has been for a long time. I was confused, because he said that proudly, whereas it actually seems like that would be fucking embarrassing, given the state of the game. For me, it encapsulated the entire relationship between Bungie, the game, and the players. It feels like they fundamentally misunderstand just about everything about the game they’re making and what the players of that game actually want.

I would like to see that thread. As based on your description it's alarmingly (but indeed not surprisingly) blind. It's like... why are all these people claiming the earth is round? It's so funny, look at that horizon, it's so obviously flat.

Granted, the folks online theorizing that the game is being supported by a skeleton crew might not be the most business minded in their observations but I guess we're all fools at something. All in all a rather sad disconnect if as stated.

Anyway, sorry for coming in here and taking a big dump. A new season is usually enough to get me to at least jump back on and see what’s new. Instead I uninstalled the game when I realized I was looking at weeks of playing the same old shit so I could level up enough to maybe do whatever cool new mission they might drop later in the season. It’s a bummer to not want to play Destiny, but I’m just so tired of not actually being able to play the game in a way that’s enjoyable.

So my thought on the new season is that Apex Legends sure is fun!

I recently found myself playing Titanfall 2 again. Not sure how, but their "Frontier Defense" mode is so much fun. Like lose track of time, oh-crap-how-it-suddenly-2am-fun. And I don't know how, when I've played this thing over and over again how it keeps it's fun factor the same as it was the first time.

Mixed feelings so far

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 15:06 (1163 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So the thing I forgot is that he’s talking specifically about the number of UI folks working for n the game. That almost makes it worse, though. No one gives a shot how many UI designers are working on it. Maybe hire someone that can design a new Crucible map or something instead.

I try not to get worked up about this stuff, but the entire attitude of that tweet really rubs me the wrong way. I wonder how he gets around in the dark, you know, with his whole head entirely in his ass.

Mixed feelings so far

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 15:45 (1163 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So the thing I forgot is that he’s talking specifically about the number of UI folks working for n the game. That almost makes it worse, though. No one gives a shot how many UI designers are working on it. Maybe hire someone that can design a new Crucible map or something instead.

Okay, I'm gonna jump in here; I DO give a shot (a shit, even) how many UI designers are working on it, and how good they are. There was a long stretch after Candland left when the team was hurting, and it showed every time I picked up a controller; I'm HAPPY that they've put more manpower on something that is easily overlooked when it works, and painful to use when it doesn't.

TL;DR: I disagree with your opinion on this 100%.

I try not to get worked up about this stuff, but the entire attitude of that tweet really rubs me the wrong way. I wonder how he gets around in the dark, you know, with his whole head entirely in his ass.

Okay, Elliott sure as hell doesn't need me to defend him, but I'm honestly confused by this reaction. He isn't being an asshole about it, he's saying "our team is bigger than it's ever been, so I find it funny when people say we must be running a skeleton crew" - how does that rub you the wrong way? If someone made an assumption about you, and something that you did that was important to you, and it was comically wrong... might you not want to point it out, as well?

Mixed feelings so far

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 16:10 (1163 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You’re right on both counts, of course, although I’m not really thrilled with UI still. It’s the tone of the thing, however. Sure, this is probably just someone throwing a tweet out without much consideration in a light hearted way, but he thinks it’s funny? He thinks it’s funny that the current output of the people making Destiny is so bad that a not insignificant portion of the community believes that most of their team fucked off to make a different game? I’m glad he finds that hilarious, I guess, but I would find it sort of embarrassing.

I just think it highlights the communication problem with Bungie. People assuming there is a skeleton crew working on Destiny has very little to do with the UI and everything to do with the amount of new playable content being added to the game (or removed from the game). I’m glad there are more UI designers working on the game, thanks, that totally fixes the lack of any sort of consideration for the fundamental systems and core playlists in Destiny. I’m glad the fucking menus are pretty, I guess, and that the Tower is finally the default selection on the Director again after two years.

And I suspect that he knows the people theorizing about skeleton crews aren’t talking about the UI. So he’s either oblivious to the real
issues people have (which, fine, I guess that’s not his job if it’s not about UI), or he’s just being deliberately obtuse for some reason I can’t quite comprehend. And if we’re meant to extrapolate that there are currently more UI designers in the game than ever, then that also means the other teams are equally staffed, it still makes me wonder what the hell they’re actually doing over there, because I would not say the game reflects that at all.

Mixed feelings so far

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 15:27 (1163 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, I agree. I think for me the big difference back then was that the Forges, Reckoning, and Menagerie were never the primary endgame activities for me. They were fun diversions that I did in between the stuff I was really invested in.

Unlike you, I loved Beyond Light. It was a really fun loop. I look forward to playing the new expansion in the fall and doing it again with some real new content instead of these three month grinds for no reason. I understand why they are doing the seasonal thing, and I don’t hate them for it. It just sucks all of the fun out of the game. Turning off the power grind would make all of the other faults with the game not matter for me, and I’d jump right back in. I should not have to decide between playing whatever activity my friends are currently doing or playing the activity Bungie has dictated I need to do that I can power up. Until they fix that, the seasonal model is fundamentally broken.

I should clarify that there is stuff within Beyond Light that I really enjoy. It’s just that for me, the parts it got right are narrow in scale or singular activities (I love the Raid, for example). But IMO, the problems that were introduced alongside Beyond Light are the kind of sweeping, ever-present issues that tarnish the entire game. Specifically Sunsetting, Stasis, and the DCV. The Beyond Light campaign was a kind of microcosm for that overall trend for me. There were plenty of little things I really liked, but that stuff was largely overshadowed by big, sweeping downsides, such as the fact that a huge portion of the “campaign” is really just completing patrol bounty objectives, or the fact that the majority of my playtime was spent travelling from the landing zone to my next objective way up north.

IMO, this is a continuation of poor high-level decision making that has been consistently in the forefront since Shadowkeep. That expansion included a change to PvE damage scaling which immediately impacted all PvE combat in a negative way (again, IMO). The implementation of the artifact mods and champions made gear selection for endgame content feel overly restrictive, rather than empowering the “build your personal monster-killing machine the way you want” idea which Bungie claims to care about (and sunsetting has only made this issue worse). The pattern of nerfing any and all gear that sees lots of usage, without properly understanding WHY that gear is being used so often, really kicked into gear during Season of Opulance and has not slowed down since then. And so on.

Long story short, I’m not going to get worked up about a seasonal activity which I don’t enjoy (EG wrathborn hunts) because that stuff is inconsequential enough that I can simply ignore it if I don’t like it. But I do feel a bit starved for content I can really sink my teeth into. It exists, but it is either a non-trivial task to arrange (like putting together a raid group) or the activities have been artificially buried into obscurity thanks to sunsetting and reward power issues. According to DungeonReport, I’ve completed the Hawkmoon mission 72 times in the past 3 weeks. I love that mission, but not so much that I’d run it 72 times in a vacuum. I keep running it because I keep wanting to play Destiny, staring at the director for 5 minutes, then deciding the Harbinger mission is just about my only option if I want something that is still exciting and challenging but relatively easy to get a group together, and is nicely rewarding on top of that.

Now this is absolutely shocking to me. I’m blown away. If this is accurate, then Claude should be laughing out loud at me, because I was just saying to him last week that Bungie is CLEARLY trying to keep Destiny running with the smallest team they can get away with, while the true focus of the studio is shifted towards future projects. To be fair, I wasn’t exactly saying that the team working on Destiny is “small”, just that it seems obvious to me that Bungie wants to have as few people working on D2 as they can get away with while maintaining its profitability. But the idea that Bungie has more people working on Destiny right now than ever before just blows me away (and yes, I do realize that whoever said so was probably not factoring in the support teams that used to work on D2 through activision, VV, and High Moon). I completely agree with your comment about how off-the-mark Bungie appears to be when it comes to judging the relationship players have with their game at the moment.

Mixed feelings so far

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 17:22 (1163 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So, I don't disagree about how Bungie seems to misapprehend where a lot of their dedicated players are coming from and what they want.

I, too, have found myself playing A LOT of Titanfall 2 in the last month or so. There's something about that sandbox, the way that things are balanced, the nuance at play, even though it's in a static state. Something in the way the game feels doesn't really need anything to change. And I wish I could say that it shows that Bungie still understands or prioritizes those things, but...well.

Destiny feels like it's in kind of a precarious place. Stasis continues to be a massive thorn in the side of my experience. It's infuriating to play against, and it's never particularly satisfying for me to use. Sure, I enjoy punching the crystals that I create, because who doesn't love ridiculous amounts of AoE damage? But truly, I don't have much fun with it. And it kills any kind of PvP encounters that include it. There is a mountain of tweaking to be done to get the game back to any feeling of balance, and I still fear that the very nature of Stasis is going to keep the game from being more frustrating than it needs to be.

All that aside, a word about activities. I do miss the Forges; and I'm still skeptical of most of the seasonal events. I had fun with the Vex incursions, the Sundial, and with Warmind basketball; but the recipe that's trying to be arrived at still needs something. I never really got tired of the Contact public events, but there just needed to be more of an element of randomization to them. I don't think I've been on more than 6 Wrathborn hunts, total; and I'm a bit concerned that Battlegrounds are going to turn out the same way for me. I understand different encounters are coming in the future; but running Nessus and Europa versions endlessly is going to tire me out before we get there.

I'll say again that the new weapons on offer are all (for the most part) refreshing and fun to use. I picked up my Salvager's Salvo today and I can say with confidence that I'm probably going to be running a grenades-and-grenade-launchers build for the season on my Titan. The custom I've arrived at with each season is basically to pick a new look and build and run with that for the duration; an across three characters, I don't feel like I've gotten tired of it yet. That said, the notion that there is so much to do, but less of it appealing still rings true.

We desperately need at least two new Gambit maps. We desperately need at least two new Crucible maps. More than new maps though, Crucible needs new gametypes. Seasonal events are great and all; but there's got to be more to the two modes that encourage the player base to compete with each other.

I've got mixed feelings about being granted new Fragments for Stasis while the other subclasses seem to pale in comparison, but I'll save that for another thread.

Mixed feelings so far

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 16:58 (1163 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 17:21

(The following is all Cody's opinion)

The real problem is the decision to make a game that's supposed to be played daily or at least often over a long period of time. That's it. They could have 10,000 people working on the game and it would still be a problem. The issue isn't manpower. It's big picture decision making.

(Cody's opinion ends)

Someone who plays FF14 will have to confirm this, but the game director apparently said "We have content drops every 4 months. So play the new content, and when you're done, just go play another game until the next content drop happens". And apparently FF14 is an awesome game.

Mixed feelings so far

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:27 (1163 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I really love the new bow. It reminds me of Malfeasance, in that it really comes to life in situations where multiple teammates are all running with it together. The “tag an enemy with a homing hipfire shot and then make them explode with an ADS shot” mechanic works in team-fire situations. I went into crucible with a clanmate, and we worked together; I’d tag every enemy I could with the hip-fire homing arrows, while he fired precision shots. Together, we were setting off explosions non-stop. It was great!

Oh my goodness! It STACKS?! I've not played with anyone yet, so news to me! Oh wow, if the damage loop this thing has holds (see, isn't nerfed) this thing might replace Wish Ender as my preferred competitive Bow.

I wonder what kind of maddness a 6 man could do?

I would like to add here, has anyone here played in the updated rendition of "The Devils' Lair"? Since I started the season at 1260 on my main, I was able to jump into a 1270 night fall immediately, and as it turns out this week said strike is the Nightfall this week. WOW! Does that strike outdo the Battlegrounds activity. The so called Battlegrounds are just poorly made strikes. "The Devils' Lair" is a BATTLEFIELD end-to-end. It's actually fantastic. And yes, all the "problem spots" (where everyone is likely to get downed and restart) have returned. I don't think sniping the tank works as well as it once did, but that's ok because it's more fun not to now. It's really interesting.

Yeah running Devil's Lair as a tough nightfall first

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:59 (1163 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Oh my goodness! It STACKS?! I've not played with anyone yet, so news to me! Oh wow, if the damage loop this thing has holds (see, isn't nerfed) this thing might replace Wish Ender as my preferred competitive Bow.

I would like to add here, has anyone here played in the updated rendition of "The Devils' Lair"? Since I started the season at 1260 on my main, I was able to jump into a 1270 night fall immediately, and as it turns out this week said strike is the Nightfall this week. WOW! Does that strike outdo the Battlegrounds activity. The so called Battlegrounds are just poorly made strikes. "The Devils' Lair" is a BATTLEFIELD end-to-end. It's actually fantastic. And yes, all the "problem spots" (where everyone is likely to get downed and restart) have returned. I don't think sniping the tank works as well as it once did, but that's ok because it's more fun not to now. It's really interesting.

Was an amazing way to drop back into it. So good.

Yeah running Devil's Lair as a tough nightfall first

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 13:32 (1163 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Was an amazing way to drop back into it. So good.

That’s great to hear. I look forward to trying it.

Mixed feelings so far

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 15:55 (1163 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The Brigs there certainly caught me off-guard! Had a blast

I think you're looking in the wrong places

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 07:23 (1163 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’ve been highly critical of Beyond Light, but I’m starting to think that I may have underestimated how much damage Bungie has done to this game over the past ~16 months, especially with Beyond Light. It just feels like there’s nothing left in this game, which is crazy because there is technically tons of stuff to do. But I think the core pillars of the game, the bread-and-butter activities like strikes, crucible, and gambit are either boring (strikes), tedious (gambit), or a complete fucking disaster (crucible). Sunsetting has largely killed my investment in my gear, and I don’t see how the PvP side of the game will ever recover from the addition of Stasis.

While
A. I certainly think there's plenty Bungie can do better
B. I'm anti-power level

I think this season is pretty solid.

• Gambit and strikes as quick palate cleansers between other activities. Getting the weekly challenge pinnacles? That's a strike/gambit game per day max to get that. And there's so many pinnacle sources that who really cares if you're not getting both of those.
  • I feel like in the past 16 months they've really upped their game with Nightfall strikes. There's a wide variety of difficulty levels, cool loot, and matchmaking at the lower levels.
  • Legendary lost sectors, Empire Hunts, and Exo Challenge provide me the solo difficult content that I've always wanted out of Destiny but rarely got. And the cool thing is it doesn't even have to be solo!
  • re: stasis and PvP, I feel like their recent nerfs have made it much more manageable and at the end of the day, I'm playing a wacky space wizard shooter, not a hard as nails military shooter, I like the wackiness... I'd also like to see the data on how Stasis is currently faring in PvP
  • Love that they're giving some attention to Dungeons, some of the best content they've put into this game

I think they've done a better job of balancing where you feel compelled to go lately. For example, I've done most of the things that I want to do in battlegrounds for this week, and don't really need to dive back into them unless I'm having friendship time with someone else.

I just really appreciate that it feels like I can do whatever I want to level up and unless I"m truly trying to min/max my leveling, that I don't have to do everything if I don't want to. Don't feel like gambit this week? cool (and god knows I don't feel like gambit ever since I got the Reckoner title). I remember when Destiny had me running the strike playlist non-stop to struggly bus my way up the power curve, and this feels so damn far away from that.

Ultimately I take issue with people saying Bungie is out of touch with it's audience, in part because I feel like they've been nailing a lot things lately and these comments make me wonder "am I not their audience?". Where are the metrics, where's the proper analysis of player's time? Of public opinion?

Dungeons

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 08:09 (1163 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Oh man I forgot about Dungeon's now drop powerful rewards! Gotta get back in those!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 09:28 (1163 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Gambit and strikes as quick palate cleansers between other activities. Getting the weekly challenge pinnacles? That's a strike/gambit game per day max to get that. And there's so many pinnacle sources that who really cares if you're not getting both of those.

I’ve still never done a GM Nightfall, despite really wanting to, mostly because I’m burned out on the grind before getting anywhere close to appropriately leveled. If you don’t get every Pinnacle available, getting to the required power level is basically impossible in a timely manner. The Artifact scales in such a way that I can’t use that to make up the difference, because I also refuse to spend my time doing the chores Bungie calls bounties.

The cool new mission they just added was almost 10 points above my total power level. I shouldn’t have to decide between going in under leveled or spending another two weeks grinding out Pinnacles to be appropriately leveled because I had the audacity to play something else for a while, or because I played Destiny in a way that isn’t exactly as Bungie prescribed. It’s infuriating to see new stuff in the game that actually looks really fun, but I can’t do it because Bungie expects me to play Destiny like it’s my fucking job. It’s honestly insulting.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 10:53 (1162 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The cool new mission they just added was almost 10 points above my total power level. I shouldn’t have to decide between going in under leveled or spending another two weeks grinding out Pinnacles to be appropriately leveled because I had the audacity to play something else for a while, or because I played Destiny in a way that isn’t exactly as Bungie prescribed.

This is a completely reasonable attitude... except for the fact that it took less than a day to climb those 10 points. (Remember, we're still in the early days of a season, when everything gives you huge gains.)

My Warlock (as of now, Thursday morning, 48 hours after the season started) is at 1289.

I agree with the abstract concept - leveling up just to play what you want is a pretty shitty way to get in the door.

And I agree with the concrete concept, when it applies - playing a GM this season is probably, as it's always been, out of your range (and mine, for that matter).

But your SPECIFIC complaint here is relatively baseless. You can jump on and play for a couple of hours with friends (I'D LOVE TO PLAY WITH YOU AGAIN), and be ready for almost everything currently available.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 11:39 (1162 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 12:01

Sorry, I was talking about the Harbinger mission last season in that example. It was 1270, correct? I was at 1260ish with Artifact. I’d have probably been okay with a fireteam. But it still sucks that I even have to think about it. Power level only works as a time gate for access to certain activities. I have thousands of hours in Destiny, I’m confident in my skills and ability to play high level activities, and I’m tired of being told I can’t because Bungie has decided I still haven’t put in enough time.

I miss playing with you all too, it never fails to be fun, but I’m really tired of playing Destiny for weeks on end and then realizing I still have to do it for more weeks on end (even when I don’t want to), so that I’m allowed to continue playing the new stuff that gets added at the end of the season. This game is not actually built in a way that allows me to do anything else for a while and the come back. If I could jump in and play whatever I wanted with you, I’d be there tonight, but that’s not the case.

As always, I’m not done forever. I’ll be there day one for the new big expansion, and I’ll jump in before then if they put out something that looks sufficiently interesting.

Really, I want to play Destiny, but it increasingly feels like Bungie just won’t let me do so in any way that I actually find enjoyable. Or, at least, I have to endure weeks of slogging through stuff I don’t want to do in order to get to the stuff that is genuinely great.

I know I’m the forum broken record at this point, so I’ll leave it here, but I just can’t help continuing to be incredibly bummed that I feel like I can’t play a game that I really love when it’s at its best. I would pay actual money every season to just be given a power boost to max level. I know that’s silly, and I’d feel terrible about spending money on something so dumb, but the ability to just jump in and play the best parts of the game with you would be well worth the money.

Quick heads up

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 12:18 (1162 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sorry, I was talking about the Harbinger mission last season in that example. It was 1270, correct? I was at 1260ish with Artifact. I’d have probably been okay with a fireteam. But it still sucks that I even have to think about it. Power level only works as a time gate for access to certain activities. I have thousands of hours in Destiny, I’m confident in my skills and ability to play high level activities, and I’m tired of being told I can’t because Bungie has decided I still haven’t put in enough time.

I miss playing with you all too, it never fails to be fun, but I’m really tired of playing Destiny for weeks on end and then realizing I still have to do it for more weeks on end (even when I don’t want to), so that I’m allowed to continue playing the new stuff that gets added at the end of the season. This game is not actually built in a way that allows me to do anything else for a while and the come back. If I could jump in and play whatever I wanted with you, I’d be there tonight, but that’s not the case.

As always, I’m not done forever. I’ll be there day one for the new big expansion, and I’ll jump in before then if they put out something that looks sufficiently interesting.

Really, I want to play Destiny, but it increasingly feels like Bungie just won’t let me do so in any way that I actually find enjoyable. Or, at least, I have to endure weeks of slogging through stuff I don’t want to do in order to get to the stuff that is genuinely great.

I know I’m the forum broken record at this point, so I’ll leave it here, but I just can’t help continuing to be incredibly bummed that I feel like I can’t play a game that I really love when it’s at its best. I would pay actual money every season to just be given a power boost to max level. I know that’s silly, and I’d feel terrible about spending money on something so dumb, but the ability to just jump in and play the best parts of the game with you would be well worth the money.

I empathize strongly with you hating the grind, and also want to point out the grind this season is drastically compressed compared to last season making it much easier to play casually while being leveled enough for things.

Quick heads up

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 13:03 (1162 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I’m glad to hear that’s the case. Maybe I’ll dip in later in the season. I still expect them drop something like Harbinger that’s at the upper end of the Pinnacle cap, which is where the grind actually sucks.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 16:08 (1162 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think they raised the level of harbinger for this season, but last season every one of the dozen times I did harbinger I was in the low to mid 1260. Maybe lower? So, Yes. You would've been fine. And, yes that is with a fireteam, but if you expect destiny to design for solo play, I get it and in many ways sympathize, but that just isn't and never has been the game that it is.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 11, 2021, 16:42 (1162 days ago) @ Vortech

I think they raised the level of harbinger for this season, but last season every one of the dozen times I did harbinger I was in the low to mid 1260. Maybe lower? So, Yes. You would've been fine. And, yes that is with a fireteam, but if you expect destiny to design for solo play, I get it and in many ways sympathize, but that just isn't and never has been the game that it is.

Um . . . every dungeon has had Triumphs for soloing it. The new Lost Sector rewards are explicitly designed around solo play. I like playing with people, so I’m not fussed about that, but the game is pretty explicitly designed around soloing high level content in some regards.

In any case, I just watched a video about the new season stuff. I’m happy with the new challenge system (other than it just being another list of chores). At least I can actually catch up if I do decide to jump back into the game in six weeks, rather than just missing out on six weeks worth of progress. If they could make the Powerful/Pinnae rewards work the same way, that would go a long way towards fixing my major issue with the game. Let me continue to earn the previous six weeks worth of Pinnacles if I missed them. I’d still be locked into doing those specific activities instead of playing what I want, but being able to spend a night in Crucible and earn 4 Pinnacles that I missed out on would alleviate the game feeling like a job.

That's a damn good idea

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, February 12, 2021, 06:07 (1162 days ago) @ cheapLEY

If they could make the Powerful/Pinnae rewards work the same way, that would go a long way towards fixing my major issue with the game. Let me continue to earn the previous six weeks worth of Pinnacles if I missed them. I’d still be locked into doing those specific activities instead of playing what I want, but being able to spend a night in Crucible and earn 4 Pinnacles that I missed out on would alleviate the game feeling like a job.

This right here is spot on and would alleviate a lot of the pressure to not miss a week (which is something their obviously thinking about with this system). I just hope they go all the way and include Powerfuls/Pinnacles like you're saying.

I mean honestly I'd like it just because I'd like fewer places to check to see what pinnacles or powerfuls I have left for the week. Hopefully they're migrating the WHOLE challenge system there...

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, February 12, 2021, 09:01 (1162 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 15, 2021, 14:15 (1158 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I’ve been highly critical of Beyond Light, but I’m starting to think that I may have underestimated how much damage Bungie has done to this game over the past ~16 months, especially with Beyond Light. It just feels like there’s nothing left in this game, which is crazy because there is technically tons of stuff to do. But I think the core pillars of the game, the bread-and-butter activities like strikes, crucible, and gambit are either boring (strikes), tedious (gambit), or a complete fucking disaster (crucible). Sunsetting has largely killed my investment in my gear, and I don’t see how the PvP side of the game will ever recover from the addition of Stasis.

While
A. I certainly think there's plenty Bungie can do better
B. I'm anti-power level

I think this season is pretty solid.

• Gambit and strikes as quick palate cleansers between other activities. Getting the weekly challenge pinnacles? That's a strike/gambit game per day max to get that. And there's so many pinnacle sources that who really cares if you're not getting both of those.
  • I feel like in the past 16 months they've really upped their game with Nightfall strikes. There's a wide variety of difficulty levels, cool loot, and matchmaking at the lower levels.
  • Legendary lost sectors, Empire Hunts, and Exo Challenge provide me the solo difficult content that I've always wanted out of Destiny but rarely got. And the cool thing is it doesn't even have to be solo!
  • re: stasis and PvP, I feel like their recent nerfs have made it much more manageable and at the end of the day, I'm playing a wacky space wizard shooter, not a hard as nails military shooter, I like the wackiness... I'd also like to see the data on how Stasis is currently faring in PvP
  • Love that they're giving some attention to Dungeons, some of the best content they've put into this game

I think they've done a better job of balancing where you feel compelled to go lately. For example, I've done most of the things that I want to do in battlegrounds for this week, and don't really need to dive back into them unless I'm having friendship time with someone else.

I just really appreciate that it feels like I can do whatever I want to level up and unless I"m truly trying to min/max my leveling, that I don't have to do everything if I don't want to. Don't feel like gambit this week? cool (and god knows I don't feel like gambit ever since I got the Reckoner title). I remember when Destiny had me running the strike playlist non-stop to struggly bus my way up the power curve, and this feels so damn far away from that.

Ultimately I take issue with people saying Bungie is out of touch with it's audience, in part because I feel like they've been nailing a lot things lately and these comments make me wonder "am I not their audience?". Where are the metrics, where's the proper analysis of player's time? Of public opinion?

All fair points, and I agree with much of what you’ve said. But I don’t think anything you’re saying contradicts my initial concerns. Like you, I appreciate that I can bounce around from activity to activity and level-up while doing whatever I want to do, but that doesn’t change the fact that most of the activities I may want to do have been negatively impacted by other decisions Bungie has made. For example, I think the crucible sandbox is in a fantastic place right now... except for Stasis. None of the light-based subclasses are drastically dominant over the others, and the breadth of competitively viable primary weapons is just wonderful. Just about every primary weapon type has a place and play style where it can excel right now. The crucible should be in the best shape it’s ever been, but Bungie went and upper-decked the whole experience with Stasis.
Nightfalls are another example for me. I have always enjoyed the Nightfalls. But ever since Shadowkeep, the combination of Champions and Artifact mods have made the whole experience feel increasingly restrictive. Every season, Bungie basically tells me which weapon types I’m going to be using for every single Nightfall for the next ~3 months. Between all the restrictive measures at play (choice of anti-champion mods, power levels, elemental types, costs of resetting the artifact, cost of juggling/replacing armour mods), the end result is that iI’m cornered into using variations of the same 1 or 2 loadouts for all end-game activities that feature champions. It is possible to experiment with a wide range of build diversity, but there are so many annoying or tedious points of friction along that path that the ends no longer justify the means for me. Once again, the stuff in the game that I really like is buried under stuff that feels unnecessary or even counter-productive.

I guess what I’m getting at is that yes, it’s nice that I’m not really forced into activities I don’t want to do anymore, but I’m also being driven out of activities I DO want to do because they’ve been underdeveloped, neglected, or flat-out ruined by relatively recent changes/additions to the game. I look back at the D1 Age of Triumph era, and what a blast it was to have such a wide breadth of great PvE and PvP content to play, and so much exciting end-game loot to chase. D2 at this point should feel even wider, and yet to me the game has felt progressively smaller and smaller since somewhere around Season of Opulance.

Season of the Chosen thoughts.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 22:14 (1157 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 22:19

First, the new exotic mission was really good! The atmosphere is great. Reminded me of 343 Guilty Spark in some areas. I loved the entire aesthetic of the mission. I think the boss fight is really fun. I’m also thankful for the recommended power level not being high. And the gun is great! I really love it. Feels good, sounds better, and feels like a fun exotic. I hope they cool it with the random roll exotics, though.

As for the rest of the season so far:

I like the Battlegrounds. They are miles better than Wrathborn Hunts. They’re actually pretty close to the Contact events. As always, I wish there was more variety in mechanics instead of them being the exact same every time. But they are enjoyable. I’m glad the gold is easier to come by than lure charges.

I also do like the storytelling. They’ve finally landed in a good spot with that side of the game, I think. All the dialogue with Crow in the Battlegrounds is good, and I’m glad we’re getting so many voiced lines instead of just walls of text when you finish a quest. I’m less thrilled that they just keep kicking the Uldren Sov can down the road. He’s wearing a mask to hide is identity, seriously? I definitely rolled my eyes at that.

The HELM is neat, but I hate that it’s separate loading zone from the Tower. It’s just not convenient. Now I have to hit two loads to pick up all my bounties. Not the end of the world, but this is the little shit that feels like it should be common sense that adds up into a grating experience. It’s exactly the sort of thing I point to as Destiny not getting out of its own way and actively preventing me from just playing the damn game.

SGA

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 06:24 (1157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The HELM is neat, but I hate that it’s separate loading zone from the Tower. It’s just not convenient. Now I have to hit two loads to pick up all my bounties. Not the end of the world, but this is the little shit that feels like it should be common sense that adds up into a grating experience. It’s exactly the sort of thing I point to as Destiny not getting out of its own way and actively preventing me from just playing the damn game.

If you have a smartphone, you can install the Destiny 2 app and grab all your bounties from orbit (or the tower I believe). No need to even load into the tower until you need to turn something in, upgrade the hammer, or decrypt some engrams. OR you can load into the tower grab all those things and then grab the HELM bounties from the app.

SGA

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 06:48 (1157 days ago) @ breitzen

Yeah, I know. I honestly hate that. I have to wonder how much that ability contributes to these sorts of poor decisions.

TIL

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 07:41 (1157 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread