New Quest/Activity "Presage" (Destiny)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 11:43 (1157 days ago)

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but there's a fantastic new activity this week. No spoilers yet - just start the "Arms Dealer" strike and look for an open door in the first room that hasn't been open before.

New Quest/Activity "Presage"

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 11:49 (1157 days ago) @ Chappy

You beat me to the punch on the thread, here's my response:

What a cool, fun, challenging mission. It took me over an hour to get through it last night, not counting the time I spent getting it started.

Spoiler stuff:
You get access to the mission by starting an Arms Dealer strike (Nightfall this week) and going to an area right near the beginning that isn't normally open. You kill a whole bunch of turrets and a big boss to get a scannable, and then you can leave the strike and go talk to Zavala. That gives you access to a special mission via the Tangled Shore destination menu.

The special mission is on a Cabal ship with some serious problems. There are several puzzle aspects to making your way forward, as well as some jumpy moments when you get attacked by Scorn. There are a few big battle sequences that were relatively tough. For me Destiny is at its best when you are solving puzzles and fighting tough enemies, ao I really enjoyed it all.

F00CH noted that he liked it in the other thread, how did it go for the others that tried it?

SGA: Don't Nightfall and leave!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 12:06 (1157 days ago) @ squidnh3

It also works if you start it directly on the EDZ map, so you don't leave the poor Nightfall MM randos hanging.

SGA: Don't Nightfall and leave!

by squidnh3, Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 12:19 (1157 days ago) @ ZackDark

It also works if you start it directly on the EDZ map, so you don't leave the poor Nightfall MM randos hanging.

Because of this I actually did it on the 1300 level (no matchmaking) while at approx. 1280. Would not recommend for those who don't enjoy being ground to dust under the heels of their enemies, but I did complete it.

Loved the activity itself *SP*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 12:09 (1157 days ago) @ squidnh3

First off, our ships hanging back at spawn? *chef's kiss*

Then jumping puzzles, lever puzzles, new mechanic puzzle and garbage compactor puzzle? Sign me up!

Boss had some pretty cool mechanics too. Could use the rally banner inside the checkpoint, though...

No join in progress.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 14:16 (1157 days ago) @ Chappy

Xenos tried to join me last night while I was in the mission solo. Seems like you can’t join anyone already there, everyone has to start fresh.

There is a catalyst slot, and the the gun has a random perk like Hawkmoon. Any chance join in progress is turned off to avoid easy farming somehow? If so, that fucking sucks.

No join in progress.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 07:54 (1157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Xenos tried to join me last night while I was in the mission solo. Seems like you can’t join anyone already there, everyone has to start fresh.

There is a catalyst slot, and the the gun has a random perk like Hawkmoon. Any chance join in progress is turned off to avoid easy farming somehow? If so, that fucking sucks.

I hadn't thought about that - but I've had a few Hawkmoon runs where I've run it solo to the final boss, and people have joined me at that point. I'm not realy sure why this is a big-enough problem to change mechanics. :(

(This mission is actually not so bad to restart, though - the early parts aren't enough of a slog to make me unwilling to drop out of a run if I want someone to join. That's not to say I don't agree with you that it sucks if this is why jip is disabled.)

No join in progress.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 08:03 (1157 days ago) @ Claude Errera

No, I didn’t mind restarting to let Xenos in.

And obviously I don’t know if that’s why JIP doesn’t work. Could be unintentional for all I know.

But if that is the reason, I really wish someone at Bungie would stop and consider for a second. If that’s the decision they landed on, they really need to stop and reevaluate what they’re doing and what their goals are, because I would count “having fun with friends” among them at that point.

No join in progress.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, February 20, 2021, 14:54 (1154 days ago) @ cheapLEY

One way to get the flawless achievement in harbinger is to join right at the end. Maybe they did not want that happening this season?

No join in progress.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, February 20, 2021, 15:01 (1154 days ago) @ Vortech

One way to get the flawless achievement in harbinger is to join right at the end. Maybe they did not want that happening this season?

If that’s the case, this solution is a perfect example of what I think is wrong Bungie‘s thought process and design philosophy for Destiny. It’s out there end of the world, but they should either fix it the right way or let it ride.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 07:50 (1157 days ago) @ Chappy

I absolutely love this quest/mission. 1 of these per season and some great new loot to chase is easily worth the price of admission, IMO.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 08:14 (1157 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This mission was easily worth the price of the season. I’ve had at least ten bucks worth of fun playing through it. All the better that it’s not at the end of the leveling curve. This the right way to do it, because now I’m also motivated to play more and increase my power level to play through the Master version when it hits.

Quick question

by Oholiab @, Saturday, February 20, 2021, 08:12 (1155 days ago) @ Chappy

Is this for Season Pass holders only? I think I know the answer....

Unfortunately it's season pass only

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, February 20, 2021, 09:44 (1154 days ago) @ Oholiab

Is this for Season Pass holders only? I think I know the answer....

Source

It's so good!

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, February 21, 2021, 07:54 (1154 days ago) @ Chappy

Played it last night as a two-person team, no spoilers, it was great.

My Thoughts on the New Quest/Activity "Presage"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, February 21, 2021, 21:17 (1153 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 21, 2021, 21:27 (1153 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Finally, with all the environmental tidings we have on this ship, I now feel like I can finally ask this; WTF is that thing behind Drifter in the room we are in before you spawn into a Gambit game? Or if that is too much, the stuff that was on the derelict that we now see all over this ship? What IS that?

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but . . . I hope it’s the Flood. Almost literally. I think a good space zombie enemy could be amazing in Destiny. The Taken feel like they’re supposed to be that, but it’s not quite the same. I think Halo 3 Flood almost exactly would be great in Destiny as a third party enemy in any encounter, especially with the reanimation aspect.

Regarding random rolls—surprising it doesn’t bother me here. I hope it doesn’t become b a trend, but I also don’t think it needed to be exclusive to Hawkmoon. My biggest gripe is that they don’t just also make the first one you get a random roll, instead it’s just down a perk. I got one with Subsistence, and it’s great.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, February 21, 2021, 21:40 (1153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Finally, with all the environmental tidings we have on this ship, I now feel like I can finally ask this; WTF is that thing behind Drifter in the room we are in before you spawn into a Gambit game? Or if that is too much, the stuff that was on the derelict that we now see all over this ship? What IS that?

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but . . . I hope it’s the Flood. Almost literally. I think a good space zombie enemy could be amazing in Destiny. The Taken feel like they’re supposed to be that, but it’s not quite the same. I think Halo 3 Flood almost exactly would be great in Destiny as a third party enemy in any encounter, especially with the reanimation aspect.

... on that note, this reminds me of something. I did feel some Halo flashbacks in the Hanger portion which has a very similar layout. Not 1-to-1, but very similar. At first I thought of it as a call back, because deep down I wanted it to be, but it's not (there is no door where the Hunters would be coming out). After all, it's a hanger. How many versions of it's purpose can there be?

Also... I don't think you want the flood, but the thrill in fighting the flood. A mix of space magic meets Lovecraftian horror. I swear, if we get another "Spooky" infinite forest this year I'll... *wait*, can we? Mercury is gone. Hmm. Guess we'll see.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 21, 2021, 21:52 (1153 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

... on that note, this reminds me of something. I did feel some Halo flashbacks in the Hanger portion which has a very similar layout. Not 1-to-1, but very similar. At first I thought of it as a call back, because deep down I wanted it to be, but it's not (there is no door where the Hunters would be coming out). After all, it's a hanger. How many versions of it's purpose can there be?

Yeah, I noticed the similarity. Notes of the hangar in Cairo Station, too, I thought.

Also... I don't think you want the flood, but the thrill in fighting the flood. A mix of space magic meets Lovecraftian horror. I swear, if we get another "Spooky" infinite forest this year I'll... *wait*, can we? Mercury is gone. Hmm. Guess we'll see.

I genuinely love Halo 3 Flood. An expanded version of that with the reanimating mechanics and the different forms changing could be legitimately amazing.

Halo Hangers

by Robot Chickens, Monday, February 22, 2021, 00:53 (1153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

[image]

I got vibes from both of these locations on my playthrough. The end was straight up Keys though.

Halo Hangers

by squidnh3, Monday, February 22, 2021, 06:07 (1153 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I felt the similarity to Halo as well, but aren't the hangers (and control room) in this mission basically straight copies of the Red War story mission where you kill Thumos?

Halo Hangers

by Robot Chickens, Monday, February 22, 2021, 08:02 (1153 days ago) @ squidnh3

I felt the similarity to Halo as well, but aren't the hangers (and control room) in this mission basically straight copies of the Red War story mission where you kill Thumos?

I had totally forgotten about that. Yup, it’s basically the same geometry.

Halo Hangers

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 22, 2021, 08:04 (1153 days ago) @ squidnh3

Yeah, I think it is. I remember noticing the similarity then, but I think it’s much more stark here, for some reason. Maybe just because I spent a decent amount of time in that hangar in the new mission, instead of just blowing through it during the Red War campaign.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 22, 2021, 10:32 (1152 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

• In the section with the double electric walls I found myself fruitlessly looking around back and forth for ultimately no reason because I thought I missed something. There is a door that I thought I needed to open, that turned out I did not.
  • After going back and forth I finally gave in and looked online for "what switch I missed". Turned out I didn't miss any. Kind of stole some fun from the moment.

I'm a little lost on what you're griping about here - are you saying that it's Bungie's fault that you didn't notice the door you opened? (I'm not positive which section you had trouble with; both sides of the electric walls have puzzles, the first one is simpler than the second.) In all cases in this mission, if I found a switch or a fuse, and flipped it or shot it, it opened something. In one case, a shot fuse regenerated itself - which made me realize that whatever it opened was temporary. But if the switch stayed flipped, or the fuse stayed blown, I knew that there was a door open that hadn't been open before. It was just a matter of finding it. And I loved the fact that each time I had difficulty finding a fuse/switch, the information I gained when I finally DID discover it helped me in future sections.

• To the folks who designed this portion, please go back and study level 1-1 of practically any classic Mario game. Dishonor on You. Dishonor on Your Cow. Thank you.

I have to disagree here. This was quite a lot of fun, and if you leave aside the silly design (hell, you'd have to do that in any classic Mario game, too - none of that stuff makes any sense from a practical standpoint), I found the puzzles to be eminently solvable, and actually satisfying. Someone on a recent run mentioned that they liked the fact that ALL grates were shootable, not just the ones you needed to pass through; that's a fantastic touch that isn't always included in areas like this (in Destiny or other games).

Sorry you found it frustrating and contrived. :(

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 22, 2021, 17:21 (1152 days ago) @ Claude Errera

• In the section with the double electric walls I found myself fruitlessly looking around back and forth for ultimately no reason because I thought I missed something. There is a door that I thought I needed to open, that turned out I did not.
  • After going back and forth I finally gave in and looked online for "what switch I missed". Turned out I didn't miss any. Kind of stole some fun from the moment.

I'm a little lost on what you're griping about here - are you saying that it's Bungie's fault that you didn't notice the door you opened? (I'm not positive which section you had trouble with; both sides of the electric walls have puzzles, the first one is simpler than the second.) In all cases in this mission, if I found a switch or a fuse, and flipped it or shot it, it opened something. In one case, a shot fuse regenerated itself - which made me realize that whatever it opened was temporary. But if the switch stayed flipped, or the fuse stayed blown, I knew that there was a door open that hadn't been open before. It was just a matter of finding it. And I loved the fact that each time I had difficulty finding a fuse/switch, the information I gained when I finally DID discover it helped me in future sections.

See, you played Marathon so you had an unfair advantage :-p

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, February 27, 2021, 08:10 (1148 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I had more trouble finding the last vent to shoot out early on than finding open doors. I, too, had Marathon flashbacks.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 05:49 (1152 days ago) @ Chappy

I absolutely love this mission. Everything about it. I love the setting, mood, and atmosphere. It’s long enough to feel substantial, but once you’ve mastered it you can get through in ~15 minutes. I love the mechanics and the variety of setpieces throughout the mission. The major combat encounters all start in a way that makes them feel overwhelming and scary, but once you familiarize yourself with your surroundings, there’s actually plenty of cover and space to maneuver. The final boss is intimidating and dangerous but can be solo’d if you’re smart and careful about how you approach the fight. And similar to Harbinger when it first came out, I love the way it feels like we haven’t yet seen everything Presage has to offer. I’m looking forward to jumping back in at reset not just for another loot drop, but also to see what else the mission itself has in store for us.

Stuff like this is absolute peak Destiny PvE for me. I put it right up there with Dungeons, Raids, and the secret/timed missions (Whisper and Zero Hour). I also think it’s worth pointing out that I appreciate the breadth of high-level PvE activities Bungie has created. Missions like Harbinger and Presage are distinctly not the same kind of mission as Whisper/Zero Hour (I’d love more of those timed missions in the future as well, but I think it was smart to do something different in this case). I think both Harbinger and Presage are more like dungeons than anything else, but a bit smaller in scale, with some clever replayability factors built in. 1 mission like this more than justifies the cost of a season pass for me.

Agreed

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 06:39 (1152 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 10:18 (1151 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I’d love more of those timed missions in the future as well

Counterpoint: After ten-ish attempts, I was never once able to finish the Zero Hour mission, and I blame that entirely on the fact that it was on a countdown timer.

When it first dropped, I was under-leveled / the enemies were too hard. Months (years?) later, before Beyond Light, every LFG group I joined would quit after any member fell more than two times. Never got further than the electric wall.

I really, really, really appreciate that these new missions aren't on a timer.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 10:54 (1150 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Counterpoint: After ten-ish attempts, I was never once able to finish the Zero Hour mission, and I blame that entirely on the fact that it was on a countdown timer.

When it first dropped, I was under-leveled / the enemies were too hard. Months (years?) later, before Beyond Light, every LFG group I joined would quit after any member fell more than two times. Never got further than the electric wall.

Yeah, I totally get that. The time limit is one of those double-edged swords. IMO it’s a big part of what makes those missions so special, but it’s clearly a significant barrier to entry as well. Running with a fireteam of people you know is a huge benefit. It’s too bad those missions are gone now; I’d be happy to run them with you any time, if we could.

I think Bungie has done a great job creating Harbinger and Presage as missions that feel just as special as Zero Hour or Whisper, but are more accessible to a wider range of players. But I do also feel that these new missions aren’t the same thing as Zero Hour or Whisper... they don’t scratch the same itch. I’d love to see more of both in the future. Maybe they could do something similar to what they’ve done with Presage, where the default mission has no timer, but the Master difficulty level does?

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:49 (1149 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Maybe they could do something similar to what they’ve done with Presage, where the default mission has no timer, but the Master difficulty level does?

Right on :)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 11:34 (1150 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I fully agree with you on this point - I'm generally a 'slow but steady' guy, and the timer kills me.

As a minor counterpoint, though, we ran through the Master Presage last night (which HAS a 25 minute timer), and failed twice... the third attempt was successful. And it felt pretty satisfying. So sometimes, timers are good. :)

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:48 (1149 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I fully agree with you on this point - I'm generally a 'slow but steady' guy, and the timer kills me.

As a minor counterpoint, though, we ran through the Master Presage last night (which HAS a 25 minute timer), and failed twice... the third attempt was successful. And it felt pretty satisfying. So sometimes, timers are good. :)

I think this is the best case scenario: the easy/default version is un-timed and the more skillful version has a timer. That seems reasonable to me.

Dead Man’s Tale Catalyst

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 26, 2021, 08:11 (1149 days ago) @ Chappy

I completed the Catalyst for Dead Man’s Tale a couple days ago, and I have to say it’s taken a weapon that I already really enjoyed and elevated it to another level. For those who aren’t aware of it, the catalyst increases the rate of fire when hip-firing (which is great), but more significantly, it removes the accuracy penalty when using the gun in hip-fire mode. I now find myself hip-firing this weapon constantly, even at ranges where aiming down sights would probably be the better way to go. At first, I wasn’t really sure why I was having so much fun running around, hip-firing this thing. Then it struck me: it feels like Halo.

I actually played some MCC recently, just to check out the Series X upgrades (I played some Halo 3 and some Reach, both of which look absolutely gorgeous). Right away, I was struck by how much I missed the sensation of running and jumping while firing my weapons, all with a nice, open visual field. I like scoping in on targets when it feels appropriate, but Destiny has such an over-the-top accuracy penalty when hip-firing that you have to ADS with most weapons pretty much all the time.

Long story short, if you miss the more traditional Halo-style gunplay of hip-firing your weapons even at mid-to-long range, I’d highly recommend putting in the time to get yourself a Dead Man’s Tale, along with the catalyst.

ps

If you’re on a Warlock, Dead Man’s Tale + Chromatic Fire exotic chest piece = a real good time :)

Dead Man’s Tale Catalyst

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 26, 2021, 08:50 (1149 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What implications does this have for PvP? Sounds like Icarus on steroids.

It's GOOD

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 26, 2021, 10:20 (1148 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Dead Man’s Tale Catalyst

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 26, 2021, 10:29 (1148 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What implications does this have for PvP? Sounds like Icarus on steroids.

It’s nice for PvP, but not crazy OP or anything. It’s more like the catalyst helps make up for the weapon’s worst weakness; it’s too slow to be much good at close range. It’s default rate of fire is 120RPM, and it typically requires 3 shots to get a kill (3 crits in most cases, 2 crits + 1 body against low resilience guardians). That puts its TTK at 1 second, which is decent but nothing crazy.

The catalyst boosts the hipfire RPM to 150RPM, or roughly 0.8 second TTK, which is more competitive with the faster TTK weapons in the sandbox. But it’s worth mentioning that this gun’s real PvP strength is as a mid-long range teamshot weapon. It has great handling, and some of the best target acquisition in the game. It makes it great for countering snipers or locking down sight lines that are just a bit too pong for hand cannons or pulse rifles.

But all of that is without getting into the gun’s main exotic perk; chaining quick crit hits applies a buff to the gun which stacks up to x5. With each stack, you increase the gun’s damage and reload speed. The damage boost is significant enough to be meaningful in PvP. At x5, you can potentially 2-shot kill low resilience guardians. So again, in teamshot scenarios where you have 1 or 2 guardians using Dead Man’s Tale (along with a friendly sniper, or some other Scout Rifle), you can very effectively lock down longer sightlines.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread