TWAB 4th of March, 2021 | Monsters VS Dinosaurs (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, March 05, 2021, 09:29 (1147 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50170 | https://destiny.bungie.org/bwu/354

The big buzz around the community this week has been players finding out a way to cram four fireteams in activities meant for one. We’ve been watching the 12-player raid hype [Note: link is my edit] and are glad you’re enjoying yourselves. We aren’t rushing out a fix for this and it’s totally fine if you want to try it out and have some fun. Just keep in mind that we didn’t create these activities expecting a clown car of Guardians to roll up, so you may experience some weirdness.

We are planning on fixing this before Grandmaster Nightfall's begin on March 16, but you are free to party up until the fix goes live.

International Women’s Day - Diversity at Bungie! Buy Buy buy! During the month of March, all profits will be donated to AnitaB.org.

Nothing Personal Kid - Notice any increase in enemies Teleporting? Read why this is happening (and a potential fix) here!

Deep Stone Deep Dives - ...can also be seen here!

Don’t BOO... Vote - Clearly the most IMPORTANT thing about this TWAB. In fact, so much so that... QUOTE;

We're rapidly approaching spring but are already planning for Festival of the Lost later this year. We're excited to share previews of two concepts we have for Eververse which can be purchased for Silver or earned via Bright Dust. Check them out!

Movie Monsters VS Dinosaurs! Two larger-than-life legends battle for control over this year's Festival of the Lost. The universe isn't big enough for both of them and they have only one goal: Winning your vote.

Now you might be thinking, "Hey, that dinosaur has some pretty good policy ideas." But maybe the Movie Monster charging towards you as you fill out your ballot is making you nervous. We get it, it's a high-pressure situation. Now choose!

No matter who wins, there will be candy.

[image]

VS

[image]

Both are awesome and we're having a tough time choosing which one to use this year. We decided to give the community an opportunity to pick which set they like best!

To vote just visit this link and fill out the brief survey. It's that easy.

Deadline for voting is 3/08/2021 at 6 PM PST. We will announce the winner in a future TWAB.

Than the usual so on so on. Movie of the Week combines Overwatch with Destiny, so that's kind of neat.

You skipped Trials...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 05, 2021, 09:56 (1147 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

... and so, apparently, has Bungie ;)

Trials is cancelled indefinitely until they figure out a fix for the win-trading exploit.

You skipped Trials...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:06 (1147 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Trials is cancelled indefinitely until they figure out a fix for the win-trading exploit.

Trials honestly needs a total rework at this point. I know it’s supposed to be the elite prestige PvP activity, but if they want it to be successful, it has to be something that regular players can stop engage in and have some fun and get some drops. I still think completely random matchmaking would be a huge step in the right direction, and it seems like it would be an easy change to implement to at least make the mode playable until they figure out what they really want to do with it.

You skipped Trials...

by squidnh3, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:40 (1147 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Trials honestly needs a total rework at this point. I know it’s supposed to be the elite prestige PvP activity, but if they want it to be successful, it has to be something that regular players can stop engage in and have some fun and get some drops. I still think completely random matchmaking would be a huge step in the right direction, and it seems like it would be an easy change to implement to at least make the mode playable until they figure out what they really want to do with it.

I think a big part of the problem is the massive range in skill that has developed in this game over the years. When Trials came out in the middle of D1Y1, people didn't have the techniques and strategies they have now to manipulate and gain every possible edge with the best weapons and abilities. 6 years later it's no surprise there's a portion of the Trials audience that is dedicated to just that. But it's completely bifurcated the player audience for Trials - there's the "100 times Flawless this weekend crowd", and there's the "I just want a Messenger so I can got back to Strikes" crowd, and not a lot in between (I count myself as one of the few in between).

So how do you keep Trials meaningful and unique for the dedicated audience while making it rewarding for the part-time PvP audience? Totally random matchmaking could help (I thought that's how they should bring it back originally) even with that I think you'll still end up with a lot of lopsided early-card matches which are what drives the slow player exodus.

One idea I can think of would be to implement a dual card system (they have something sort of like this now, but it doesn't seem to get much use). There would be a "Trials Jr." card, where it's only up to 3 wins, no tokens and no drops, you get the weekly 3 win drop either from the bounty or 3 wins. That doesn't sound very rewarding, but it can't be because the key is you don't want any reason for the "big fish" to play it. Then there would be the normal Trials card, which works how it would normally work (3/5/7/Flawless), except maybe add tokens on losses and drops after games. So you'd get people in for a decent experience with the low stakes card, and maybe they'd try out the full thing.

That might work, or it might not and be abused. Another thing that Trials needs is ongoing, committed support from Bungie. They need to be willing to try stuff on a month-to-month basis. Making a minor change every six months and allowing it to languish in whatever state it ends up in is not helping at all.

You skipped Trials...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:52 (1147 days ago) @ squidnh3

I think a big part of the problem is the massive range in skill that has developed in this game over the years. When Trials came out in the middle of D1Y1, people didn't have the techniques and strategies they have now to manipulate and gain every possible edge with the best weapons and abilities. 6 years later it's no surprise there's a portion of the Trials audience that is dedicated to just that.

Not something I considered, but I think this is a good observation. Given this, even random matching is going to result in lopsided games since the skill disparity is wider. I realize the whole point of trials is to go against a traditional trueskill type ranking and matching system, but maybe we are beyond the point where normal folks can play it without such a system.

I think it's sort of a vicious circle

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:22 (1147 days ago) @ squidnh3

You get stomped a few times, so you start exploiting. So it bred you out of the pool. Now whoever would get a fair match against you only gets stomped now. Now they want to exploit too. Now there are even less people having a fair chance, so even less people feel comfortable not exploiting. Ad astra eternum.

Now you only have two player pools: absolute fucking gods and exploiters.

by squidnh3, Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:31 (1147 days ago) @ ZackDark

Now you only have two player pools: absolute fucking gods and exploiters.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "exploiters".

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:53 (1147 days ago) @ squidnh3

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "exploiters".

People who do these kind of stuff where they get to the Lighthouse without playing.

Like me ;p

You skipped Trials...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:48 (1147 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Can someone explain this exploit?

You skipped Trials...

by Claude Errera @, Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:04 (1147 days ago) @ Cody Miller

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/03/01/destiny-2-shuts-down-trials-due-to-wild-hakke-win-trading-conspiracy/

You skipped Trials...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 05, 2021, 13:21 (1147 days ago) @ Claude Errera

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2021/03/01/destiny-2-shuts-down-trials-due-to-wild-hakke-win-trading-conspiracy/

How is Bungie going to fix this? It's simply people colluding with other people who also want to do this method. It kind of IS a victimless crime.

Removing rejoin if you drop is just… that doesn't feel like it's a good thing.

You skipped Trials...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 05, 2021, 13:38 (1147 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How is Bungie going to fix this?

Removing rejoin if you drop is just… that doesn't feel like it's a good thing.

That is the obvious band-aid fix here. The slightly more convoluted one would be to change the rejoin code to check for same character. That would prevent burner cards from being a thing.

The "let's not mess with the network" fix could be making cards account-wide.

It kind of IS a victimless crime.

Not really. The existence of an exploit gradually undermines the player pool. Check my vicious cycle post.

You skipped Trials...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 05, 2021, 15:48 (1147 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not really. The existence of an exploit gradually undermines the player pool. Check my vicious cycle post.

Mmm yes. I think that's a good point.

If you can read between the lines... no I did not.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, March 06, 2021, 10:58 (1146 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Also... there is an alarming lack of talk in Guardian Dinosaurs here, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering all the Guardian Dinosaurs here. ;D

Oooooooooo

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 06, 2021, 17:43 (1145 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Oooo?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, March 07, 2021, 11:52 (1145 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Team Dino FTW

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, March 07, 2021, 19:17 (1144 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Worthless Cur!!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 17:22 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

O_o?!?!?? Whaaaa? What brings this response?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 19:01 (1142 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

O_o?!?!?? Whaaaa? What brings this response?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 19:25 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I thought you were talking about Halo 2 Dinos....if not, what do you mean by Guardian Dinos?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 20:08 (1142 days ago) @ Morpheus

I thought you were talking about Halo 2 Dinos....if not, what do you mean by Guardian Dinos?

Halo 2 Dinos? Huh? What? You know what, whatever. Two Things;

1. Even if I was talking about "Halo 2 Dinos", there is still little justification to simply swing out an antiquated insult in such blunt terms. I must say it's a touch much. It gives an air of being quite the nigmenog.

2. Did you even read the OP? Hmm? HMMM? Clearly not. Go and give it a look for context.

[image]

It's something Elites say in Halo 2

by squidnh3, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 20:24 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Oh yeah. Yeah. They do. Hmph. Still not sure how... "here".

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 21:27 (1142 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

Now that I'm awake...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 08:46 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Oh yeah. Yeah. They do. Hmph. Still not sure how... "here".

Before I start, can I just say for a moment how so very keenly, deeply, thoroughly frustrating it is to be so quite aware of these cogs within this noggin, but yet to be so occasionally unable despite this awareness. Like, a cognitive hiccup, or the needle jumping on the record. It is often presumed that awareness is enough. If anything, this just shows how harrowingly unaware collectively we all can be and how we take things for granted so, so, too easily. We're all fools sometimes, but that doesn't mean I relish being an occasional dolt either. It's like... Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but replace the pure evil with DERP, sans the choice to drink up that foul potion and there ya go.

Oh... the adventure that is being human. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alright... that aside, time to fill in the blanks my previous late evening self wasn't connecting to due to sheer free fall in bewilderment, hence the space-dog in my post titled "Pickles".

I had completely forgotten, and was not thinking about in any way, how in Halo sometimes the English speaking Elites say "Worthless Cur". Why would I? It's a freek'n one off line that is fairly rarely said. Wort Wort Wort? Oh yea, remember that no problem. The screaming sound they make before a plasma grenade goes off in Halo 1? Golden. Arbiter Quotes too, sure. Get that. Of all the choices you had in quotable Elite things... you choose Worthless Cur?! *Sigh* Get it, but boy what a poor choice. Unless it's a trademark at this point, like Sam Jackson and yo mama, don't go with the insult! They tend to be misinterpreted, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

Thank you squidnh3 for the reminder.

Now that I'm awake...

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 09:23 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by cheapLEY, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 09:32

Of all the choices you had in quotable Elite things... you choose Worthless Cur?! *Sigh* Get it, but boy what a poor choice. Unless it's a trademark at this point, like Sam Jackson and yo mama, don't go with the insult! They tend to be misinterpreted, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

I have to push back on this a bit. If you feel like you’re being insulted on this forum, you need to take a step back and ask yourself if there’s any possible way you’re misinterpreting. Why would Morpheus have any cause to want to insult you? Even you can come to no o other conclusion than insult, I’d be much more inclined to assume a poorly made joke than actual insult.

I say this knowing that tempers have occasionally flared around here (and as someone who has been involved in those flares more than once), but I have never (to my recollection) seen an insult fly out of nowhere in a thread that contains no heat whatsoever like this one.

No heat. None at all.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 09:49 (1142 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Of all the choices you had in quotable Elite things... you choose Worthless Cur?! *Sigh* Get it, but boy what a poor choice. Unless it's a trademark at this point, like Sam Jackson and yo mama, don't go with the insult! They tend to be misinterpreted, ESPECIALLY on the internet.

I have to push back on this a bit. If you feel like you’re being insulted on this forum, you need to take a step back and ask yourself if there’s any possible way you’re misinterpreting. Why would Morpheus have any cause to want to insult you? Even you can come to no o other conclusion than insult, I’d be much more inclined to assume a poorly made joke than actual insult.

I say this knowing that tempers have occasionally flared around here (and as someone who has been involved in those flares more than once), but I have never (to my recollection) seen an insult fly out of nowhere in a thread that contains no heat whatsoever like this one.

Only bewilderment, hence the conversation chain end to end. As I said... I was not thinking about Halo, and the reference was too obscure. I had also forgotten that the slang for Elites was sometimes Dinos. Again, yes a thing, but not enough for a call back reference.

You bastard.

What?! What do you mean you don't get this reference?! This quote is obviously from the deleted scene of Kill Bill Vol.2 with Michael Jai White! (Not exactly the same... but, get it?)

No heat. None at all.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 10:07 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

You’re helping make my point, I think. Do you believe that anyone here would genuinely call you a bastard? You don’t think joke (poorly made, perhaps) is far more likely?

Maybe that’s just me. I’m probably one of the most likely to be genuinely called a bastard around here, and I would still assume it wasn’t serious.

>_<

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 10:28 (1142 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 10:32

You’re helping make my point, I think. Do you believe that anyone here would genuinely call you a bastard? You don’t think joke (poorly made, perhaps) is far more likely?

Maybe that’s just me. I’m probably one of the most likely to be genuinely called a bastard around here, and I would still assume it wasn’t serious.

But... I didn't know what to think. Such is why I asked "What brings this response", and often it is best not to presume, whatever logic aside.

If a person doesn't get the reference, which in my case I've mentioned how thoroughly 100% I missed, than all they have to work with is the plain text. This is what I hoped my "bastard" example was to show. In most cases, at least what I have seen, the result is straight to the emotive. This is what I was advising about, and I wasn't speaking about myself or my reaction (which is quite out in front for all to see). In all things a learning moment.

Also, you're too hard on yourself cheapLEY. You're cool. No reference required.

>_<

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 10:57 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If a person doesn't get the reference, which in my case I've mentioned how thoroughly 100% I missed, than all they have to work with is the plain text. This is what I hoped my "bastard" example was to show. In most cases, at least what I have seen, the result is straight to the emotive. This is what I was advising about, and I wasn't speaking about myself or my reaction (which is quite out in front for all to see). In all things a learning moment.

Do I really need to link to all of the posts where I (or others) have expressed utter confusion at Morpheus' references?

THE MAN IS A WALKING OBSCURITY. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT BY NOW. If you're confused, go back to one of his recipe posts, get a warm feeling, and don't worry about it.

Heh. These days, when Morpheus makes a reference I don't get, I simply wait an hour or two. Someone will either say "wha...?" or someone will acknowledge the obscure reference (and in doing so, explain it to me). I don't have to admit cluelessness any more. :)

This time, I guess, we had both.

Obscurity.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 11:06 (1142 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Do I really need to link to all of the posts where I (or others) have expressed utter confusion at Morpheus' references?

THE MAN IS A WALKING OBSCURITY. YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT BY NOW. If you're confused, go back to one of his recipe posts, get a warm feeling, and don't worry about it.

Heh. These days, when Morpheus makes a reference I don't get, I simply wait an hour or two. Someone will either say "wha...?" or someone will acknowledge the obscure reference (and in doing so, explain it to me). I don't have to admit cluelessness any more. :)

This time, I guess, we had both.

I suppose. I don't often click his posts (per topics), so I have had little direct knowledge of his interactions. Well, other than Sonic... that's pretty much a given. And now cooking.

Ah well.

>_<

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 11:44 (1142 days ago) @ Claude Errera

But if everyone does that, we'll never know!

>_<

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 11:49 (1142 days ago) @ ZackDark

But if everyone does that, we'll never know!

Pfft. Who listens to me, anyway?

>_<

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 13:03 (1142 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Frank likes beans.

>_<

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 11, 2021, 16:30 (1140 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's a relief when someone says "wha...? 95% of the non-cooking Morpheus threads don't make sense to me and I have to assume I'm too old.

Ironically....

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, March 10, 2021, 18:55 (1141 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I got that reference right away!

I do need to explain myself, because I certainly didn't mean to cause any harm.

In your earlier post;

Also... there is an alarming lack of talk in Guardian Dinosaurs here, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering all the Guardian Dinosaurs here. ;D

Talking about the Guardian Dinosaurs in bold, I felt that that was about the FoTL Dinosaur themed Guardian outfits. (I was going to go on a rant about assuming things with people, but I won't post the picture. But yes, I did see the Bungie update in context!) Now with the underlined Guardian Dinosaurs, I thought that since most of us at DBO either met or started at H BO, playing in Halo all the time, that we were current Guardians that were former Dinosaurs.

Dino=Halo 2(where the nickname started)=Halo 2 Elites=...;-)

And yeah, that line is old and not that frequent—however I will say that since back then, seemingly everyone was so hung up on these former 8 feet terrors sounding like Shakespeare majors that it was (one of) the most reviled changes between the first two games. I didn't mind, considering we were playing half of the game as the Arbiter, so I was rather at ease! I just thought it would be stuck in the head, like a stupid Liberty Mutual commercial.

In retrospect, I definitely should've used quotes—at least then it would've been obvious something was up. I think I'll do that from now on when I say a line, anyway—I'm too media-bound.

So yeah, it was a basic mistake.

But Wu is right—

If this isn't a disclaimer for my autistic craziness, I don't think anything will be.

I....Umm....

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 20:25 (1142 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'll uh, just wait until the morning.

PICKLES!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, March 09, 2021, 21:30 (1142 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'll uh, just wait until the morning.

No need. /THREAD. Please.

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread