More content will be vaulted. Interview at Eurogamer. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 12, 2021, 09:34 (1113 days ago)

Justin Truman, general manager at Bungie, gave an interview to Eurogamer. It’s an interesting read and covers many topics from storytelling to seasons to the content vault.

With Beyond Light, there was a one time compression, where we got back to what we think is the ideal Destiny Director size. And then moving forward, we plan on keeping that size - so when a new destination comes in, we're probably going to look at the destination that people are the least interested in continuing to play, and pull that back out, so that we can maintain that size, and you don't just steadily bloat over the course of five years.

Forsaken content will be vaulted at some point. I think in the same way we don't want eight raids, it's the same thing with storylines - we don't want when a new player enters into Destiny, there's five different competing storylines that they could start playing and in some of them, Uldren's a good guy, and in some of them he's a bad guy, and it's not clear if you're playing them out of order.

We want to curate that experience. We're probably not going to go in strict chronological order - like, oh, the next Destiny 2 destination that came in the launch Destiny would be the next one to vault. Instead, we're thinking about it in terms of - which one of these destinations or experiences is doing the least to the overall healthy ecosystem? And that can range from - which ones have the most exciting experiences that we want to stick around, it could be to do with combatant usage - like, hey, if we get rid of this, there just aren't that many places where Cabal are in Destiny 2 anymore...

Just some highlights. The whole thing is definitely worth a read.

Vaulting

by squidnh3, Friday, March 12, 2021, 10:13 (1113 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm hoping in the future vaulting will be less painful than it was with Beyond Light. With the 1-2 punch of vaulting and sunsetting it felt like last season they had vaulted pretty much everything except Europa. Like, why was Nessus even still around? This season has been much better at utilizing the remaining existing environments, and I hope that continues.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread