Try Dark Void when it comes to Games with Gold (Gaming)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 08:36 (1093 days ago)

Starting tomorrow.

This game apparently got pretty bad reviews when it came out, but I didn't know any of that at the time. It was a random gift from a family member who doesn't game, so I had no information ahead of playing it, because I hadn't looked it up. And I remember really enjoying it at the time, mostly because of the interesting movement system. Part of it is a standard cover shooter in the style of Gears, but there's a jetpack that lets you hover and even free-fly (both in aerial combat scenarios AND just free-flying through the ground combat areas if you choose) later on. And once that comes into play, they start setting up cover-shooting environments on vertical surfaces, which work a little different depending on whether you're going up or down.

I remember it very fondly, but I'm not going to claim that it's GREAT, because I haven't played it in close to 10 years and there were probably reasons the reviewers hated it, but it did do some interesting things that I haven't seen replicated much since. One of the reasons I was initially interested in Anthem is that it seemed like it was going to revisit the sort of system Dark Void used, where you can freely transition from 3rd person ground combat to aerial at any time, although I don't think they used cover mechanics? Yahtzee even admitted there were glimmers of something special in it, even if he felt disappointed in the end result. So if, like me, you appreciate an interesting experience even if it isn't perfectly polished, it might be worth a look.

Apparently it was the first game scored by someone called Bear McCreary, whose name I didn't know until I started refreshing my memory on the game, but apparently I've heard some of his other work and you probably have, too.

Also Nikola Tesla is a character.

2 reviews, one positive from more recent times, and one negative from when it came out:

Try Dark Void when it comes to Games with Gold

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 12:31 (1093 days ago) @ stabbim

Yes.

That's it. That's my post. ^_^ (Thanks for the heads up too.)

Try Dark Void when it comes to Games with Gold

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 14:22 (1093 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Yes.

That's it. That's my post. ^_^ (Thanks for the heads up too.)

He’s your main gadget guy (Essentially Q, for my older readers) in The Order: 1886, and would have become a bigger player if the series had continued ;_; .
Can’t get enough of the guy’s modern-era recognition.

I’ll definitely check out the game once the Outriders heat dies down.

Bear McCreary

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, March 31, 2021, 14:08 (1093 days ago) @ stabbim

Apparently it was the first game scored by someone called Bear McCreary, whose name I didn't know until I started refreshing my memory on the game, but apparently I've heard some of his other work and you probably have, too.

That's funny. Just yesterday I was listening to a playlist of his work on Battlestar Galactica. What a fantastic composer.

+1

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 09:21 (1091 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

It's a fun decent enough game, but...

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 10:10 (1079 days ago) @ stabbim

the PC port is pretty bad in the controls department. Console players tho should give it a go its one of those 5 to 7 outta 10 B list games that we don't see that much these days.

God I miss the early 2000's when it comes to AA and lower budget games from big studios.

It's a fun decent enough game, but...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, April 17, 2021, 14:05 (1076 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Glad you enjoyed it. I never played a PC version so I dunno about that - I'll take your word for it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread