RIP GM Completions :( (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 10:18 (1114 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50220

[image]

Beating that boss room legit... yeah, no.

RIP GM Completions :(

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 12:55 (1114 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

Word on the street (aka Reddit) is that it’s actually easier to beat it legit than it is to do the cheese. I haven’t tried the cheese myself, but it’s apparently extremely punishing if you have even a single mistake, plus it takes so long that you’re pretty much guaranteed to be over the 45 minute mark, meaning no more revives.

That said, it’s not like doing it “legit” is any simple task. I’ve only completed this week’s GM once so far. It was with an LFG group. All 3 of us were running Ursa/Banner Shield Titans. Our first run, we got to the boss room and were promptly wiped out by a pair of teleporting Unstoppable Champions (fix ur shit, Bungle! ;p). Our 2nd run was going slowly, but fairly well. Unfortunately we crossed the 45 minute threshold just as we started the 3rd and final damage phase on the Boss. The wave of ads that spawned swarmed us and killed both my teammates. They had to spend the next 10 minutes watching me do this:

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 13:01 (1114 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

Word on the street (aka Reddit) is that it’s actually easier to beat it legit than it is to do the cheese. I haven’t tried the cheese myself, but it’s apparently extremely punishing if you have even a single mistake, plus it takes so long that you’re pretty much guaranteed to be over the 45 minute mark, meaning no more revives.

That said, it’s not like doing it “legit” is any simple task. I’ve only completed this week’s GM once so far. It was with an LFG group. All 3 of us were running Ursa/Banner Shield Titans. Our first run, we got to the boss room and were promptly wiped out by a pair of teleporting Unstoppable Champions (fix ur shit, Bungle! ;p). Our 2nd run was going slowly, but fairly well. Unfortunately we crossed the 45 minute threshold just as we started the 3rd and final damage phase on the Boss. The wave of ads that spawned swarmed us and killed both my teammates. They had to spend the next 10 minutes watching me do this:

I haven't spent any time underneath the stage (on any difficulty), but i read that there are gas jets under there. When is it safe to run across as you're doing in this vid?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 19:57 (1114 days ago) @ Claude Errera

[image]

I haven't spent any time underneath the stage (on any difficulty), but i read that there are gas jets under there. When is it safe to run across as you're doing in this vid?

The gas jets activate if you spend more than a couple consecutive seconds in the tunnel. If it gets activated, it’ll burn for about 10 seconds or so and then shut off. So you’re totally safe to run through it, as long as you don’t linger.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 01, 2021, 13:37 (1114 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Aha! I've been wondering if Anarchy would be a good call yesterday when we got our asses handed to us in the tank room. Next try, I'm definitely bringing it. Any recommendations on that Succession's roll?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 20:08 (1114 days ago) @ ZackDark

Aha! I've been wondering if Anarchy would be a good call yesterday when we got our asses handed to us in the tank room. Next try, I'm definitely bringing it. Any recommendations on that Succession's roll?

The one I was using has Reconstruction and Vorpal, which works out quite well. Recombination is a great perk too, if you have that one.

Literally TWO Days.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 13:12 (1114 days ago) @ Claude Errera

smh...

Glad I cheesed it last night :)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, April 01, 2021, 16:09 (1114 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Did you get a decent Palindrome?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 16:19 (1114 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

Ugh, no

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Friday, April 02, 2021, 09:26 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Two crappy drops for two "double loot" completions:

Bottomless Grief/Thresh
Quickdraw/Thresh

You'd think adept weapons would be either a guaranteed drop (see trials), or contain a two perks to choose from.

Ugh, no

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 10:20 (1113 days ago) @ Chappy

Bottomless Grief/Thresh
Quickdraw/Thresh

You'd think adept weapons would be either a guaranteed drop (see trials), or contain a two perks to choose from.

I have exactly the same roll on the one I kept from my first run (Bottomless Grief/Thresh), but the barrel/mag choices make it pretty stable (Polygonal/Ricochet). I got better rolls last night, though I'm still holding out for a 'keeper' - Outlaw/High Impact Reserves and Overflow/Rangefinder. (The Rangefinder one also has Hammer Forged and Light Mag, and a Range masterwork, so it's pretty good on range... but could use a bit more stability. :) )

Ugh, no

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Friday, April 02, 2021, 10:42 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bottomless Grief/Thresh
Quickdraw/Thresh

I have exactly the same roll on the one I kept from my first run (Bottomless Grief/Thresh), but the barrel/mag choices make it pretty stable (Polygonal/Ricochet). I got better rolls last night, though I'm still holding out for a 'keeper' - Outlaw/High Impact Reserves and Overflow/Rangefinder. (The Rangefinder one also has Hammer Forged and Light Mag, and a Range masterwork, so it's pretty good on range... but could use a bit more stability. :) )

Those are decent rolls; add an adept Stability mod to the rangefinder roll (+10 Stability), and masterwork it (+3 on all stats) to see where it lands.

Ugh, no

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 14:42 (1113 days ago) @ Chappy

Bottomless Grief/Thresh
Quickdraw/Thresh

Those are decent rolls; add an adept Stability mod to the rangefinder roll (+10 Stability), and masterwork it (+3 on all stats) to see where it lands.

Just got an Overflow/High Impact Reserves with a great barrel/mag combo (Hammer Forged/Ricochet) and a Stability masterwork. With an Adept Range mod, it's 80 range, 80 stability - just tried it out in a crucible game (where I don't really have to worry about the Overflow and High Impact fighting against each other) and it felt FANTASTIC. It 3-taps in the bottom half of the mag, and it's a breeze to keep on target.

Ugh, no

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 02, 2021, 19:37 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bottomless Grief/Thresh
Quickdraw/Thresh

Just got an Overflow/High Impact Reserves with a great barrel/mag combo (Hammer Forged/Ricochet) and a Stability masterwork. With an Adept Range mod, it's 80 range, 80 stability - just tried it out in a crucible game (where I don't really have to worry about the Overflow and High Impact fighting against each other) and it felt FANTASTIC. It 3-taps in the bottom half of the mag, and it's a breeze to keep on target.

That sounds great, but I’m confused... 140 Hand cannons always 3-tap (if all 3 shots are crit hits). Or do you mean it will kill with 3 body shots? Because that would be incredible!

Ugh, no

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 08:54 (1112 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Bottomless Grief/Thresh
Quickdraw/Thresh

That sounds great, but I’m confused... 140 Hand cannons always 3-tap (if all 3 shots are crit hits). Or do you mean it will kill with 3 body shots? Because that would be incredible!

lol - I never hit all crits. I think it was two headshots and a body. (I can't remember, and didn't save a clip.)

And I'll thank you to remember that for me, a 140 is a 7 shot kill - crit, miss, miss, body, body, body, body.

Ugh, no

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 09:23 (1112 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And I'll thank you to remember that for me, a 140 is a 7 shot kill - crit, miss, miss, body, body, body, body.

I feel this in my bones. Lol, thanks for the laugh, I needed that this morning.

That’s why 180s remain the best hand cannons. If you fire more bullets, more of them are bound to land, right?

Ugh, no

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Saturday, April 03, 2021, 01:09 (1112 days ago) @ Chappy

Another completion tonight during “double drops” and zero Palindrome rewards. That’s not “aspirational” Bungie, that’s just broken. ????????

Ugh, no

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 08:55 (1112 days ago) @ Chappy

Another completion tonight during “double drops” and zero Palindrome rewards. That’s not “aspirational” Bungie, that’s just broken. ????????

Yeah, nico only got one yesterday, and wondered what happened. :(

Just had a run with 0 palindromes. :(

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 11:42 (1112 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And we were all 3 alive at the end, even.

So... No GM this week?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 20:26 (1114 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I was thinking about running a GM this week, but the options within the Clan right now are slim. It's You (Wu), Squid, Nico, and one other person who I don't think posts here but is in the clan are the only options right now (as all are 1325 or higher light).

So... No GM this week?

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 22:00 (1114 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I was thinking about running a GM this week, but the options within the Clan right now are slim. It's You (Wu), Squid, Nico, and one other person who I don't think posts here but is in the clan are the only options right now (as all are 1325 or higher light).

I've been playing with another clan that focuses on endgame PvE content (interestingly, the connection is an old HBO denizen, but one who hasn't been around bungie.org for years) - without a ringer (Nevin counts, I think), it's not gonna happen. 3 semi-experienced people are just not gonna cut it.

My last two runs have been like the one Nevin posted - three enter the challenge room, one finishes. Did one tonight where we got to the boss with 12 minutes on the clock (which means our 18 revives were only good for another 12 mins) - the two of us who died got nailed during the last wave of add spawns (the second pair of Unstoppables + little stuff). We died within a minute of each other, and then Hypnotic spent 20 minutes killing the two Unstoppables, then whittling down the boss (using the same strat Nevin used above). Slow, but safe.

The reason I say 3 semi-experienced people won't make it is because 'safe' is SUPER hard to judge unless you've done this a LOT. Knowing when to back off is key, and misjudging that is really easy at the GM level. It only takes one shot you weren't prepared for to finish you.

So... No GM this week?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 23:11 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've been playing with another clan that focuses on endgame PvE content (interestingly, the connection is an old HBO denizen, but one who hasn't been around bungie.org for years) - without a ringer (Nevin counts, I think), it's not gonna happen. 3 semi-experienced people are just not gonna cut it.

My last two runs have been like the one Nevin posted - three enter the challenge room, one finishes. Did one tonight where we got to the boss with 12 minutes on the clock (which means our 18 revives were only good for another 12 mins) - the two of us who died got nailed during the last wave of add spawns (the second pair of Unstoppables + little stuff). We died within a minute of each other, and then Hypnotic spent 20 minutes killing the two Unstoppables, then whittling down the boss (using the same strat Nevin used above). Slow, but safe.

The reason I say 3 semi-experienced people won't make it is because 'safe' is SUPER hard to judge unless you've done this a LOT. Knowing when to back off is key, and misjudging that is really easy at the GM level. It only takes one shot you weren't prepared for to finish you.

Interesting... I just did a 2nd completion with a couple guys from my clan tonight, and the exact same thing happened to us as well. Upon triggering the 3rd and final damage phase, 2 of us died almost instantly, and the lone remaining player spend 10 minutes running back and forth through the tunnel, soloing the boss. I wonder how common this is? What’s the trick to getting everyone through that particular moment safely?

So... No GM this week?

by Claude Errera @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 07:55 (1113 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Interesting... I just did a 2nd completion with a couple guys from my clan tonight, and the exact same thing happened to us as well. Upon triggering the 3rd and final damage phase, 2 of us died almost instantly, and the lone remaining player spend 10 minutes running back and forth through the tunnel, soloing the boss. I wonder how common this is? What’s the trick to getting everyone through that particular moment safely?

Care. I died in the last run because I got greedy. We were in that little depression next to the stage (right side, looking out), boss is in the middle, firing purple bolts and occasional fireballs at us. I'm whittling his health down with Anarchy; I'm using the thick barrier at the top of the depression, right next to the stage. I'd gotten into a rhythm - run to left side of barrier, fire two shots, back off from the immediate purple. Wait a sec, run up to right side, he's still firing left, two shots, he switches, back off. I got lulled into a false sense of security - he's always gonna be 1 second behind me!

I ran up to the left side and he was WAITING. The first purple shot hit me in the chest as I crested the hill, took 90% of my health. I immediately backed off, but he blasted the wall, and the splash damage killed me.

I watched him (from my death cam) do the same sort of switch-up to our last survivor - he'd fire to the side you came out of for a second or two, then move around to the other side... except every once in a while, when he'd actually follow you down to the tunnel and fire into it. THOSE moments were times to die. I'm pretty sure that in a few cases in that last 20 mins, the ONLY reason the last survivor remained on the field is because 3 sets of eyes were monitoring the 1v1 instead of the normal 1.

So... No GM this week?

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Friday, April 02, 2021, 09:20 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm guessing this is happening a lot - I have the exact same story from my run last night; that final wave of ads after the second dome was popped wrecked the other two players (and nearly me). Fortunately we'd killed enough of them that I was able to finish the rest and do the tunnel back-and-forth.

So... No GM this week?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, April 02, 2021, 16:53 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Care. I died in the last run because I got greedy. We were in that little depression next to the stage (right side, looking out), boss is in the middle, firing purple bolts and occasional fireballs at us. I'm whittling his health down with Anarchy; I'm using the thick barrier at the top of the depression, right next to the stage. I'd gotten into a rhythm - run to left side of barrier, fire two shots, back off from the immediate purple. Wait a sec, run up to right side, he's still firing left, two shots, he switches, back off. I got lulled into a false sense of security - he's always gonna be 1 second behind me!

I ran up to the left side and he was WAITING. The first purple shot hit me in the chest as I crested the hill, took 90% of my health. I immediately backed off, but he blasted the wall, and the splash damage killed me.

I watched him (from my death cam) do the same sort of switch-up to our last survivor - he'd fire to the side you came out of for a second or two, then move around to the other side... except every once in a while, when he'd actually follow you down to the tunnel and fire into it. THOSE moments were times to die. I'm pretty sure that in a few cases in that last 20 mins, the ONLY reason the last survivor remained on the field is because 3 sets of eyes were monitoring the 1v1 instead of the normal 1.

So both my successful runs, 2 people died as soon as we triggered the 3rd damage phase. As soon as that bubble went down, and the boss launched a wave of fireballs and a bunch of enemies come into the room, 2 of us got immediately crushed. Once that initial rush is over and the survivor is able to get into a rhythm going back and forth through the tunnel, it’s not too bad (although certainly still dangerous).

So... Can anyone here recommend a LFG/Sherpa?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, April 02, 2021, 12:32 (1113 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I see.

Before I continue with what I am to say, it's fine. I completely understand your reasoning. I do not disagree. But. I've never run Grandmaster before (when able) as I've not had anyone to run it with, not because I've not wanted to. Does anyone here see the issue? The ouroboros denial when coupled with Wus reasoning. I've said this before, and I see it yet again now; Destiny can be paradoxically a very lonely game. And I've been feeling very... well, fairly left out as of late.

You know the biggest problem with LFG? It's the range between competence and humanity. Plus, the planning of the load outs can trend to be hit or miss. The last time I recall LFG'n a Raid we had a guy on the team who couldn't DPS to save any of us. No exotics to speak of. Which...Ok, exotics take time to get, but you're coming into an endgame activity with out any edge at all? As for the other part... well, go ahead and click that ****ing link (hint hint) for the full jest, but TL;DR what a rude, ignorant, fu**n numpty who kept shooting Rivens eyes even when it was made 1000% clear not to unless tasked to. *UHhhhhghghghg*... I just got shivers recalling that. The folks you may meet on LFG man.

And I'll end this with... it's a shame. This is not pointed at anyone here or otherwise, but is instead a broad observation. It's a shame that sometimes those who play this game seem not to enjoy the puzzle of the highest light challenges, part of which may require a loss after loss, and instead endure the pain only for the sake of lottery. It's sad to see such stagnation, and I hope it can be solved organically instead of by imposed forces.

So... Can anyone here recommend a LFG/Sherpa?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 12:54 (1113 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I don’t have a solution for this specific problem (I’m only at 1317 and am basically guaranteed to not reach the required 1325), or the more general one.

I haven’t played Destiny much in the last few weeks, but I’ll be back soon enough. If you want to do something together, send an invite, or just jump into my fireteam.

Destiny is a lonely game if you let it be. Take the initiative and send out invites. The FTB is increasingly useless (no one ever seems to join events unless they were discussed in game previously). That’s not a fault if the FTB, I personally just never really know my availability far enough out to confidently sign up in advance. It’s easy to make an event and get disheartened when it doesn’t fill up. I’ve mostly solved that problem by just sending out invites and just joining folks I see online. I know that can be a difficult barrier to break for some, but that’s sort of what it takes.

On the flip side, don’t take it personally if I say no (which is very unlikely). It’s not that I don’t want to play with you, it’s that there are very few scenarios in which I will want to play Gambit, or I don’t have time or energy to run a raid.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread