A dumb battery can lock you out of your digital purchases (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 18, 2021, 08:44 (1066 days ago)

https://gamerant.com/ps5-hardware-flaw-cant-play-games-battery-clock/

If your CMOS battery dies in a PS3, PS4, or PS5, and you are not connected to the internet, your digital purchases are unplayable. Down the line, when PSN is no more, then all your games are locked away.

Just a reminder from chicken little.

UPDATE: It also lock you out of discs.

https://gamerant.com/ps4-clock-battery-problem-real/

Man. Fuck you Sony.

A dumb battery can lock you out of your digital purchases

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 18, 2021, 09:29 (1065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And to think I looked up PS5 availability again yesterday.

A dumb battery can lock you out of your digital purchases

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 18, 2021, 09:42 (1065 days ago) @ Kermit

And to think I looked up PS5 availability again yesterday.

Wait for a firmware update to fix it, then simply buy physical. If no firmware update comes… then I'm just seriously done with this entire console generation.

Weird

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, April 19, 2021, 07:03 (1065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Both articles mention that after swapping the battery you still need to connect to the internet, but is that every time or just once?

Either way, that's some aggressive, dumb DRM right there.

Weird

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, April 19, 2021, 08:04 (1065 days ago) @ ZackDark

Both articles mention that after swapping the battery you still need to connect to the internet, but is that every time or just once?

Either way, that's some aggressive, dumb DRM right there.

Once after swapping the CMOS. The real issue is once Sony shuts down those servers. If the CMOS dies after the servers are gone, there is no legit way to restore functionality.

Weird

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 19, 2021, 08:30 (1065 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Once after swapping the CMOS. The real issue is once Sony shuts down those servers. If the CMOS dies after the servers are gone, there is no legit way to restore functionality.

This is what's inexcusable. Digital… well you know what you signed up for. But physical?!

If I have a disc, I should be able to play it on the system until the end of time, or until the physical objects break down.

Weird

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, April 19, 2021, 09:01 (1065 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is what's inexcusable. Digital… well you know what you signed up for. But physical?!

If I have a disc, I should be able to play it on the system until the end of time, or until the physical objects break down.

You will, either through modding the system or emulation.

Agreed though that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do it. My SNES still works fine!

Weird

by squidnh3, Monday, April 19, 2021, 11:32 (1064 days ago) @ Cody Miller

until the physical objects break down.

Don't batteries count as physical objects?

Which is easily repleaceable

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, April 19, 2021, 11:48 (1064 days ago) @ squidnh3

Having your physical media's authentication be tied to some ephemeral server's confirmation gives me Cody-level shivers.

Just to be clear

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, April 19, 2021, 11:38 (1064 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What you sign up for, both with digital and physical, is a license. It's the reason why stupid things like this affect physical games also.

At the end of the day, what you get with your disk is the ability to move that license around.

Just to be clear

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 19, 2021, 12:07 (1064 days ago) @ kidtsunami

What you sign up for, both with digital and physical, is a license. It's the reason why stupid things like this affect physical games also.

At the end of the day, what you get with your disk is the ability to move that license around.

There are no terms or even an EULA when I buy a disc. Where are the terms of the license? Literally the only thing I see is "Licensed for play on PS4 systems in the Americas". Gee, no mention of PS5. I guess I break the license by using back compat! No mention of limits or limitations beyond that.

If it stops working artificially, it would appear they broke the license terms since it is NOT then playable on a PS4 in the Americas. It says that "online play features may be terminated at any time", but it DOES NOT SAY THIS FOR SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT OR OFFLINE PLAY.

It sucks, but you are wrong

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, April 19, 2021, 21:55 (1064 days ago) @ Cody Miller

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 08:18 (1064 days ago) @ ZackDark

I see an agreement that stipulates that they may stop SUPPORTING the software, but not that they have the right to terminate offline and single player functionality. There is language in there like that for ONLINE play, but not for offline.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 09:11 (1064 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This Software Product License Agreement (“Agreement”) applies to your use of all software products (“Software”) on authorized PlayStation® systems.

Literally all of software, no matter where it comes from.

BY PURCHASING, DOWNLOADING OR USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

and

Any rights in the Software not explicitly granted to you in this license are reserved by SIE LLC, including rights to all intellectual property contained in the Software.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 10:09 (1063 days ago) @ ZackDark

This Software Product License Agreement (“Agreement”) applies to your use of all software products (“Software”) on authorized PlayStation® systems.

Literally all of software, no matter where it comes from.

BY PURCHASING, DOWNLOADING OR USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

and

Any rights in the Software not explicitly granted to you in this license are reserved by SIE LLC, including rights to all intellectual property contained in the Software.

Right, but when it comes to cessation of operation, only the online services have a disclaimer about being able to terminate them at any time. Of course I'm not a lawyer, just a really unhappy camper.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 11:11 (1063 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I started a change.org petition for you called "Let Cody play his nerdy old Playstation games" I made it all the way to the end but have to create a profile to complete it, soooo.....yeah.

Sorry buddy.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 12:45 (1063 days ago) @ ManKitten

I started a change.org petition for you called "Let Cody play his nerdy old Playstation games" I made it all the way to the end but have to create a profile to complete it, soooo.....yeah.

Sorry buddy.

It's ok I know you tried. I wouldn't make an account either.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread