Blockchain Items (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 00:03 (1082 days ago)

I've been learning about NFTs and blockchain technology, mostly since I'm super curious because it's all so incredibly stupid and environmentally destructive.

It occurred to me that it's probably inevitable that game developers are going to start implementing blockchain items. You could trade items with other players safely, or even trade items between games (You could trade someone an item in WoW for a card in Hearthstone for example). In that sense I can see it being beneficial to players. Say I quit Destiny and want to start playing another game. I could liquidate my weapons and armor in exchange for things in whatever game I want to play next.

I can just see it. Rare or special items in games tied to NFTs. I wouldn't put it past Blizzard or EA, but if Bungie ever does this with Matter I'll just die.

Why?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 06:17 (1081 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They control the existence of the item already. No need to 'crowd-source' it.

Why?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 07:24 (1081 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 07:27

1. It enables cross game trading. Oh you have a bunch of megalixers in Final Fantasy? I’ll trade those for synthweave in Destiny.
2. If players resorted to selling items (which they already do), the devs could guarantee they get a cut.

1 is the only real benefit I see, in a giant sea of drawbacks and stupidity.

Why?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 07:47 (1081 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. It enables cross game trading. Oh you have a bunch of megalixers in Final Fantasy? I’ll trade those for synthweave in Destiny.
2. If players resorted to selling items (which they already do), the devs could guarantee they get a cut.

The key thing is it's not the only way to enable it, so it is just so extremely stupid. Block chain is only interesting from the perspective of a publicly available decentralized ledger which only seems useful in the case of research efforts.

Why?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 08:39 (1081 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The key thing is it's not the only way to enable it, so it is just so extremely stupid. Block chain is only interesting from the perspective of a publicly available decentralized ledger which only seems useful in the case of research efforts.

I actually found that someone DID make a blockchain game called CryptoKitty. You breed cats and each one gets minted on the blockchain. I guess it was so popular that at one point It made up 1/10 of the transactions on Etherium.

Oh man, it's been the funny part of GDC the past few years

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 06:21 (1081 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've been learning about NFTs and blockchain technology, mostly since I'm super curious because it's all so incredibly stupid and environmentally destructive.

It occurred to me that it's probably inevitable that game developers are going to start implementing blockchain items. You could trade items with other players safely, or even trade items between games (You could trade someone an item in WoW for a card in Hearthstone for example). In that sense I can see it being beneficial to players. Say I quit Destiny and want to start playing another game. I could liquidate my weapons and armor in exchange for things in whatever game I want to play next.

I can just see it. Rare or special items in games tied to NFTs. I wouldn't put it past Blizzard or EA, but if Bungie ever does this with Matter I'll just die.

People handing out flyers promoting exactly what you're talking about. I'm surprised we haven't seen this stupidity spread more.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread