Attention Cody: Halo 1 is fixed. (Gaming)

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 09:15 (1062 days ago)

Currently in Beta. Captured in 4K on Xbox One X at 100 FOV.

Visuals AND audio. All match the OGX version.
I took a few comparison screens. I don't know how to do the mouse-over stuff, but you'll live.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
It just pops.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
The textures really have depth now.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
The light really shows it off well.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
And the fog has rolled back in.

There are many other things, too. Jackal's shields and Covenant deployable cover properly show damage-states. Captain Keyes' final model is restored. The Spirit's energy field... thing is restored. Everything is looking like it should as far as I can tell.

That’s awesome!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 10:08 (1062 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Any word on when it’ll roll out to the public MCC?

That’s awesome!

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 10:48 (1062 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Any word on when it’ll roll out to the public MCC?

It's usually 2-3 weeks after the beta ends. Unless they find a huge bug, which has only happened once out of like.. 12 updates?

Attention Cody: Halo 1 is fixed.

by Robot Chickens, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 15:35 (1061 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Oooh. Playing 343 with the proper creepy fog and mood setting will be really fun.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 16:00 (1061 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

That's cool. I didn't even know they were planning anything like this. Personally, I was never that worked up about the differences, but more accuracy is more good.

Very Good. Thumbs up 343.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 17:43 (1061 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 17:48

I just wish so many people hadn't already formed their impression of Halo with the old incorrect version. But I can't complain. What other company would fix 12 year old bugs?

More like almost 18 years.

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 19:17 (1061 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 19:50 (1061 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I'm confused. It's 10. Halo anniversary came out 10 years ago, which was when it became 343's problem, since they ported the PC version and didn't fix this.

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, May 24, 2021, 04:13 (1061 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm confused. It's 10. Halo anniversary came out 10 years ago, which was when it became 343's problem, since they ported the PC version and didn't fix this.

By the measurement of it being their problem, sure. They're still fixing an issue that has existed for 18 years. You said it was a 12 year old bug. It's an 18 year old bug that's been their responsibility for 10 years.

Very few

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, May 24, 2021, 07:30 (1061 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Very few

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 24, 2021, 09:52 (1061 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Admirable, yes, but it also had to make business sense. I suspect it was justified because Halo MCC (and the franchise generally) is still seen as one of the few system sellers on the platform, although they're working hard to not be so dependent on that (and doing a pretty good job if Game Pass is any indication).

Very few

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:53 (1061 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You are forgetting, there is an entire new generation for whom MCC was their first look at Halo. The game is 20 years old dude.

Sorry for the lack of context

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, May 24, 2021, 11:04 (1061 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You are forgetting, there is an entire new generation for whom MCC was their first look at Halo. The game is 20 years old dude.

But I was answering the question you ended your post with. Not your lamentation about people experiencing this wonky version.

Nice

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, May 24, 2021, 07:15 (1061 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Currently in Beta. Captured in 4K on Xbox One X at 100 FOV.

I took a few comparison screens. I don't know how to do the mouse-over stuff, but you'll live.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
It just pops.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
The textures really have depth now.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
The light really shows it off well.

[image]4K Link
[image]4K Link
And the fog has rolled back in.

There are many other things, too. Jackal's shields and Covenant deployable cover properly show damage-states. Captain Keyes' final model is restored. The Spirit's energy field... thing is restored. Everything is looking like it should as far as I can tell.

I'm amazed at the amount of effort they've put into doing right by MCC.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, May 24, 2021, 13:12 (1060 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Wait, really? It's surprising that they'd add that EAX emulation in the last patch if they were working on an accurate emulation of the OG Xbox audio.

Halo 1 Digital Foundry video.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 16:35 (1050 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

DF talks about these fixes in their new video.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 18:32 (1050 days ago) @ cheapLEY

DF talks about these fixes in their new video.

WTF are seasons in MCC?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 20:40 (1050 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pretty much what it sounds like...different things are introduced and taken away, and players get a chance to unlock new skins for their Spartans, Elites, weapons, and vehicles. There's also been a skull or two in the mix.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 20:47 (1050 days ago) @ Morpheus

Pretty much what it sounds like...different things are introduced and taken away, and players get a chance to unlock new skins for their Spartans, Elites, weapons, and vehicles. There's also been a skull or two in the mix.

Why must everything operate on this live game model bullshit now? Sorry for the rant. What they did in fixing these mistakes was admirable.

Because Everyone Else Is.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 21:49 (1050 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And it pretty much works.

It very likely the fix was funded by it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 04, 2021, 05:56 (1050 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

There's no real money involved.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, June 04, 2021, 06:58 (1050 days ago) @ ZackDark

The only things you can purchase for MCC are ODST and Reach.

Not directly

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 04, 2021, 10:37 (1050 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Live games do these stuff because they need people to keep playing the game. And they do it because that, in turn, makes them money.

by Avateur @, Friday, June 04, 2021, 17:56 (1049 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I could be wrong on this one, but I don’t believe the season aesthetic is being handled in MCC in awful ways like in other games. When season one ended, I hadn’t gotten my original Reach armor unlocks completed yet. But I was still able to keep playing, gaining “exp” in the background, and to go back to that season and keep using my points to unlock that stuff. So I wasn’t gated off at all. Pretty sure I could go back and do that for any season. Snipe would be able to let you know if I’m wrong. I haven’t tried it on the other seasons that I’ve “missed” because I only cared about the Reach things.

MCC is where it’s at as far as Halo goes. Non-MCC Halo? Still dead.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 08:27 (1049 days ago) @ Avateur

I could be wrong on this one, but I don’t believe the season aesthetic is being handled in MCC in awful ways like in other games. When season one ended, I hadn’t gotten my original Reach armor unlocks completed yet. But I was still able to keep playing, gaining “exp” in the background, and to go back to that season and keep using my points to unlock that stuff. So I wasn’t gated off at all. Pretty sure I could go back and do that for any season. Snipe would be able to let you know if I’m wrong. I haven’t tried it on the other seasons that I’ve “missed” because I only cared about the Reach things.

No, you're right, which I do applaud them for—they don't force FOMO down your throat(cough) and you can still unlock them retroactively, which I highly appreciate.

MCC is where it’s at as far as Halo goes. Non-MCC Halo? Still dead.

No kidding, lol—they've turned off all functionality for those games! No achievements, no multiplayer, no downloads soon! That's gonna be gone. A good chunk of it is already.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 11:22 (1049 days ago) @ Avateur

I wish I realized this earlier before I applied Exp to crap I didn't really care about. I'm with you in that I care only for the Reach stuff and the black visor in particular. My Noble 6 doesn't look like himself yet.

by Avateur @, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 12:19 (1048 days ago) @ Kermit

I wish I realized this earlier before I applied Exp to crap I didn't really care about. I'm with you in that I care only for the Reach stuff and the black visor in particular. My Noble 6 doesn't look like himself yet.

The awesome thing is that gaining exp seems to be fairly easy, especially just playing normally and having fun. Other games that handle seasons horribly make gathering that exp a nightmare grind the longer you go and the closer you get to finishing. MCC definitely has been handling things the right way.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 04:19 (1048 days ago) @ Avateur

MCC definitely has been handling things the right way.

Well, no. The RIGHT way would be like in Halo 3, where unlocks were tied to in-game accomplishments (achievements).

In H3, if you saw someone with the Katana, you knew they had unlocked all of the achievements. You knew exactly how they earned whatever cosmetic item it may be.
I think it is objectively cooler and better for the health of the game that way.

As opposed to in Reach or MCC*, where you know that whatever someone is wearing, all they did to get it was play long enough to spend their points on it.

*MCC actually does have H3 style rewards as well, they're just super lame so nobody cares. But that's a different issue.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 10:11 (1048 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Well, no. The RIGHT way would be like in Halo 3, where unlocks were tied to in-game accomplishments (achievements).

BUT DAT IS TEH GATEKEEPINGZ ZOMG

by Avateur @, Monday, June 07, 2021, 12:21 (1046 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

For clarification, I meant the right way compared to how nearly every other game handles seasons.

To your larger point, I agree and disagree. 343 screwed up too hard with MCC early on to risk gating things behind achievements now that the game works.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 08, 2021, 11:14 (1046 days ago) @ Avateur

For clarification, I meant the right way compared to how nearly every other game handles seasons.

To your larger point, I agree and disagree. 343 screwed up too hard with MCC early on to risk gating things behind achievements now that the game works.

Ideally, stuff like earned armor in Reach should have been ported over, but I bet there's issues with access to Bungie's data.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 11:37 (1048 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This is also good.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 06:02 (1048 days ago) @ uberfoop

Great vid!

Also forgot to mention, you got a shoutout in the DF vid (as HaloTupolev). Cool stuff!

kornman got a shout out in this one.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 13:34 (1047 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

[waves to kornman!]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread