New season thoughts? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, May 24, 2021, 15:53 (1061 days ago)

I’m enjoying it so far!

The armor synthesis stuff sucks on principle, but the system itself is so in the background that it doesn’t feel as shitty as it seems on paper.

The new seasonal event is fun enough. I still wish some of them were a little more engaging somehow, either through actual combat difficulty or through some light raid-like mechanics or something, but it’s a decent enough way to spend time shooting stuff.

Bungie has really been delivering in the weapons department since Beyond Light (and definitively prices Sunsetting was never necessary, in my opinion). I really love Chroma Rush (with Heating Up and Rampage). I’m still hunting for a good roll on a Gridskipper, but the gun itself feels great. It’s good to have Fatebringer back, and it feels great, but I’ll never be happy unless I get the real Fatebringer roll on it.

The Lightkin hunter armor set looks fantastic (except the boots), which is a nice change from all the crappy looking seasonal gear.

As with last season, I’m really happy with the story delivery. It finally feels like stuff is actually happening between big expansions.

Story is absolutely *chef's kiss*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 06:51 (1061 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Already burned myself out on Overrides, though :(

Regarding synthesis

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 07:02 (1061 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I had to chuckle at myself on this one. Like many others, I was blown away by how conceptually atrocious the implementation of armor synthesis was. It’s like someone came up with an April-fool’s joke, then accidentally put it in the game.

However, now that I’m using it, I find myself surprisingly indifferent; not because the system is better in practice than I thought it would be, but because for my tastes, there’s hardly any armour in this game that I like the look of. I’m not a fan of the stylistic direction that armour design has generally gone towards in D2. So the few free transmog tokens I was given have been more than enough for me to buy the pieces I want so far.

(I’m really enjoying the season so far, but I don’t have time to talk about all that right now... I’ll jump in later with that stuff).

New season thoughts?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 09:06 (1060 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was totally with you until here:

The Lightkin hunter armor set looks fantastic (except the boots), which is a nice change from all the crappy looking seasonal gear.

wtf, man. The Lightkin armor is some of the ugliest stuff to ever come out of Bungie. BLECH

New season thoughts?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 09:31 (1060 days ago) @ Claude Errera

wtf, man. The Lightkin armor is some of the ugliest stuff to ever come out of Bungie. BLECH

I’ll never understand the appeal of making our guardians look like some kind of mutant insect, lol

New season thoughts?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 10:07 (1060 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I’ve just always really loved the Fallen aesthetic, and I think this is the best they’ve ever done in that regard because it doesn’t just have random spikes and blobs. The second they let us make an Eliksni Guardian, my Titan is going straight in the trash to make room. Fallen stuff rules.

Also, it’s actually interesting to look at, which is more than can be said for most of the non-Eververse or season ornament sets. Compare it to the new VoG armor, which is about the most boring, generic looking shit they’ve ever made.

Never forget what could have been...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:08 (1060 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve just always really loved the Fallen aesthetic, and I think this is the best they’ve ever done in that regard because it doesn’t just have random spikes and blobs. The second they let us make an Eliksni Guardian, my Titan is going straight in the trash to make room. Fallen stuff rules.

[image]
[image]

Damn... those sets look SICK!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:16 (1060 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 13:14 (1060 days ago) @ Korny

[image]
[image]

This first one, the Fallen one, does look quite nice all in all. Needs a bit more to break them up and make each their own... but the basics are there. The other set though is... eh. It has got problems. While it has aspects of Cabal, it doesn't look Cabal. Uniformity in design language is a thing.

Neat.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 13:45 (1059 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]
[image]

This first one, the Fallen one, does look quite nice all in all.

I think the warlock and titan helmets need to be switched.

New season thoughts?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 10:45 (1060 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I dunno, the Tangled Shore armor is pretty grody.

And these new hunter Star-Eater Scales...I keep hearing how amazing and devastating they are, but I will never know...with those heinous swamp thing fins on the back.

Otherwise, the new season is pretty cool, the tiny amount I've been able to play so far.

New season thoughts?

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 11:02 (1060 days ago) @ ManKitten

And these new hunter Star-Eater Scales...I keep hearing how amazing and devastating they are, but I will never know...with those heinous swamp thing fins on the back.

Word. Form over Function 4lyf

New season thoughts?

by FyreWulff, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 00:21 (1052 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I kinda like it but also it still has that janky Bungie Fur/Feather Effect they've been trying to use forever since Halo 2 and i wish they'd just finally add real fur sim to their engine.

Seasonal storys > Expansion stories

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 07:07 (1053 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Especially after the stuff going on this week, Bungie's storytelling/writing/narrative game are just firing on all cylinders. Even if nothing else was going on I feel like I'd be happy just playing seasonal story stuff atm.

As for my maybe controversial title here, I stand by it. These seasonal stories have more interesting characters, they have smarter twists and turns, they don't turn on "Hey here's this big bad you gotta go kill it." They build stakes into the narrative in ways the expansion stories didn't. It's basically my soap opera at this point.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 07:17 (1053 days ago) @ electricpirate

Same. Forsaken was probably my favorite storyline, but I would agree that the seasonal storytelling has finally hit that bar.

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 10:09 (1052 days ago) @ breitzen

Same. Forsaken was probably my favorite storyline, but I would agree that the seasonal storytelling has finally hit that bar.

Yea, I think forsaken and these seasons def have similarly rich plots, I prefer the current seasons though. I like the way the current model delivers context and character building. Especially how D2 finds ways to cram Narrative into every nook and cranny.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread