Destiny’s story is finally worth playing for. *Spoilers* (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 08:11 (1030 days ago)

Instead of being neat set dressing, Destiny over the last year is finally putting story forward in a way that’s worth it for its own sake.

I legitimately loved the quest this week. The Expunge mission was fun to do alone, and then the story delivery was on point. That cutscene with Saint was absolutely fantastic. Admittedly, it was odd that the conversation didn’t continue after that. I stood there for too long waiting for it to continue.

I hate Lakshmi. I see people saying the song she sang was to the tune of Savathun’s song. I listened to it like fifteen times, and I think that’s a stretch, but if it is true, the whole city is singing Savathun’s Song, which can’t be a good thing.

Destiny’s story is finally worth playing for. *Spoilers*

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 08:50 (1030 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Instead of being neat set dressing, Destiny over the last year is finally putting story forward in a way that’s worth it for its own sake.

I legitimately loved the quest this week. The Expunge mission was fun to do alone, and then the story delivery was on point. That cutscene with Saint was absolutely fantastic. Admittedly, it was odd that the conversation didn’t continue after that. I stood there for too long waiting for it to continue.

SAME!

I hate Lakshmi. I see people saying the song she sang was to the tune of Savathun’s song. I listened to it like fifteen times, and I think that’s a stretch, but if it is true, the whole city is singing Savathun’s Song, which can’t be a good thing.

She strikes me as a tragic character; she's not evil, she's just inflexible at a time when flexibility is needed for compassion. History's shown that that attitude can lead to all sorts of awfulness... but I don't think she's bad, just misguided.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 08:53 (1030 days ago) @ Claude Errera

SAME!

She strikes me as a tragic character; she's not evil, she's just inflexible at a time when flexibility is needed for compassion. History's shown that that attitude can lead to all sorts of awfulness... but I don't think she's bad, just misguided.

Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s just infuriating! She really can’t see that her own actions are leading towards fulfilling the prophecy she’s trying to prevent?

Nope *Spoilers*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 09:27 (1030 days ago) @ Claude Errera

She's definitely got something going for her by stoking the flame, in her mind.

Nope *Spoilers*

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 11:23 (1030 days ago) @ ZackDark

She's definitely got something going for her by stoking the flame, in her mind.

So... either a lot of that is in the past, or Asher Mir is coming back?

Nope *Spoilers*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 13:52 (1030 days ago) @ Claude Errera

His fate is in a weird spot in the lore. The Darkness consumed Io, yes, but he was messing in the Pyramidion when it happened and it sounded pretty badass and possibly Vex timey-wimey related. But then again, that lore piece wasn't exactly forthcoming in its actuality.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 14:20 (1030 days ago) @ Claude Errera

SAME!

My problem with Lakshmi is that she strikes me as duplicitous. Given humanity’s incredibly perilous position in the Destiny universe, as well as our history with the Fallen, it is perfectly reasonable for some people in the last city to be against letting any potential threats within the city walls. It’s easy for us (the players) to forget that we have a personal history with Mithrax that the average human in the last city does not. Our willingness to trust him must look down right insane to many citizens. So I think it’s perfectly understandable for there to be a certain amount of anxiety and distrust around the situation. However, I’m not sure if Lakshmi herself genuinely feels that way, or if she’s just using the current situation to score political points. I’m not convinced she actually sees Mithrax and his house as a threat.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 08:55 (1029 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

SAME!

My problem with Lakshmi is that she strikes me as duplicitous. Given humanity’s incredibly perilous position in the Destiny universe, as well as our history with the Fallen, it is perfectly reasonable for some people in the last city to be against letting any potential threats within the city walls. It’s easy for us (the players) to forget that we have a personal history with Mithrax that the average human in the last city does not. Our willingness to trust him must look down right insane to many citizens. So I think it’s perfectly understandable for there to be a certain amount of anxiety and distrust around the situation. However, I’m not sure if Lakshmi herself genuinely feels that way, or if she’s just using the current situation to score political points. I’m not convinced she actually sees Mithrax and his house as a threat.

Consider what we are aware of presently. As with all the factions, the whole concept of "Future War Cult" is fear of something, yes? In "Future War Cult" that fear is towards fights to come, and a requirement to the preparation these inevitable fights. As with the others (factions) there is an element of truth that allows it to be endearing enough for some to accept, especially if it is felt that "there is no where else to go".

As Lakshmi is the leader of such faction, of this "Future War Cult", she bares the full brunt of its cause and perks. "Mind Forking" a.k.a Vex LSD, basically, in understandable terms. Oh so we have a leader whose whole organization is based upon a fear of tomorrow, who is acting on visions perceived of some future courtesy if their "trips"? Is that all?

Catchphrase time; WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG!?

I should note, if there is any flaw in my description, I expect it do be how I have described "Mind Forking". Who knows, maybe it is actually a reliable method of gazing into a future, and the problem is more "between chair and keyboard" so to speak.

All-in-all, so far communications with Lakshmi which have even the slightest of contexts towards Mithrax has been... very loaded, I'll say. Pointed, and debatably direct. So much so in fact that this rhetoric is so poorly veiled that the only thing I could agree with in this weeks "apology" is that she is no politician. She has made it very clear her thoughts, which despite whatever amount of hesitation, bubbles forth desperately and practically demands to be made known. She might not have issue with Mithrax personally, but the Fallen presence within the walls and even the mere interaction with a Fallen House seems very on the nose. (Mithrax may be the leader of one house, but it seems he is getting the flack for all of them.)

All this because she had a vision, and has connected that vision to House Light, the Fallen House currently here within the walls, or so the story so far goes.

What about this do you find duplicitous CruelLEGACEY?

Oh and there is just one more thing...

[image]

This question occurred to me as I was writing this post, and is too good not to simply write down for DBOs consideration. What is the difference is between our interfacing with the Vex this season, and Future War Cult? Not to get hopes up, but, would be interesting to see this season, yes?

by nico, Tuesday, June 08, 2021, 21:28 (1023 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I've been checked out of Destiny's story for so long, I haven't heard a single snippet from the (long, and not skippable) dialog this season.

I wish the people writing the lore wrote the dialog, because there's cool stuff there. Maybe there's a good story story in the dialog, but every time I turn it on, I'm like "Saturday morning cartoons," glucose, G-rated, safe, wholesome, totally approved, and boring.

I honestly haven't been engaged in Bungie story-telling since Halo 2. I should really give it another shot?

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 06:57 (1023 days ago) @ nico

I've been checked out of Destiny's story for so long, I haven't heard a single snippet from the (long, and not skippable) dialog this season.

I wish the people writing the lore wrote the dialog, because there's cool stuff there. Maybe there's a good story story in the dialog, but every time I turn it on, I'm like "Saturday morning cartoons," glucose, G-rated, safe, wholesome, totally approved, and boring.

I honestly haven't been engaged in Bungie story-telling since Halo 2. I should really give it another shot?

The writing absolutely has jumped a level in quality, characters have a lot more personality, theres a lot more themes beyond "kill the bad the thing". There's still some cornball stuff, and some of the mission dialog gets a bit awkward... but the core dialog is well written and acted, and punctuated by smart cutscenes.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 07:09 (1023 days ago) @ nico

I wish the people writing the lore wrote the dialog, because there's cool stuff there.

The impression I've got lately is that it is now the same people, or at the very least they are in the same [virtual] room.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 02, 2021, 13:25 (1030 days ago) @ cheapLEY

(Why speak many word when 1000 word @ X frames a second do trick?)

I hate Lakshmi.

Chancellor Gorkon: You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Full Context & Source:

James T. Kirk: Spock says this could be an historic occasion, and I'd like to believe him, but how on earth can history get past people like me?

Spock:Is it possible that we two, you and I, have grown so old and so inflexible that we have outlived our usefulness?

This song is about the Cold War... how interesting... but in this further context here in Destiny, I find my self wondering what happens if a person could live for an eon and then more after that?

---

I see people saying the song she sang was to the tune of Savathun’s song. I listened to it like fifteen times, and I think that’s a stretch, but if it is true, the whole city is singing Savathun’s Song, which can’t be a good thing.

The timing is quick, but I can hear the concept of it.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, June 03, 2021, 06:44 (1029 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I watched a couple of YouTubes discussing this and now the ditty is stuck in my head. I've been walking around my office humming it.

Also, it's cool that Cabal and Fallen are starting to ally with us, which dwindles enemies down to Vex and Hive. (I still consider taken as a branch of hive)

Oh no! Savathun got ManKitten! D:

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 07:37 (1029 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Don't take in the worm

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 08:25 (1029 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

"Vitamins - they do wonders for the body." *NM*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 09:04 (1029 days ago) @ Pyromancy

[image]

Too late. She had some limes and salt, so....

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, June 03, 2021, 13:55 (1029 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

Official lyrics will always be Shaxx's

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 03, 2021, 08:31 (1029 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm on the moon
It's made of cheese

by ginder87, Monday, June 07, 2021, 08:44 (1025 days ago) @ ManKitten

I don't know what is wrong with me but I like Destiny's story.

by Oholiab @, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 21:24 (1025 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How do I trigger this scene? Does this require the Season Pass?

You need to progress the Season storyline, so yes

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, June 06, 2021, 21:34 (1025 days ago) @ Oholiab

You progress it through the Servitor in the H.E.L.M.'s questline.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 20, 2021, 09:45 (1012 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread