Bungie vs. Marty Part II? (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 04, 2021, 17:30 (1056 days ago)

Seems like Bungie might have had some issues with Marty’s YouTube channel and is possibly taking him to court:

https://screenrant.com/halo-destiny-music-composer-marty-o-donnell-youtube-bungie/amp/

Bungie vs. Marty Part II?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 04, 2021, 19:11 (1055 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, June 04, 2021, 19:42

Seems like Bungie might have had some issues with Marty’s YouTube channel and is possibly taking him to court:

https://screenrant.com/halo-destiny-music-composer-marty-o-donnell-youtube-bungie/amp/

It kinda looks like a lot of his videos are already gone. At least, I remember there being many many more which were music related.

They killed Bungie Home movies! Good thing I still have a copy :-p

Whatever the reasoning may be, removing all of the content from O'Donnell's YouTube channel would be an extremely difficult pill for Halo and Destiny fans to swallow, as he's shared interesting, harmless parts of Bungie history that the company itself hasn't done much publicly to preserve.

I get the sense Bungie doesn’t really want to preserve much actually. Even when other people want to do it for free!

Someone really should write a book...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 11:29 (1055 days ago) @ Cody Miller

or make a true history documentary or something. I've been a hardcore fan since Marathon, but \ this and crap like letting go of the "games we like to play" trademark really wears me down.

I’m in the same boat, Kermit

by Oholiab @, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 22:35 (1054 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 00:46 (1054 days ago) @ Kermit

Doing the best I can with no cooperation.

Soon.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 04:32 (1054 days ago) @ Kermit

It might hurt, but I think there's no arguing that, much like Blizzard, Valve, Bethesda, etc., the old Bungie that so many loved is long gone. It's all too corporate now.

How many of the memorable faces are still there?

Marty's gone. Staten's gone. Griesemer's gone. Lehto's gone. And on and on.

It sucks :(

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 10:02 (1054 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 10:09

It might hurt, but I think there's no arguing that, much like Blizzard, Valve, Bethesda, etc., the old Bungie that so many loved is long gone. It's all too corporate now.

Nothing lasts forever. But like the Ship of Theseus, you can swap out individual parts so long as the whole is still based upon the original. You list people who came in after I even fell in love with Bungie to begin with. And yet, I still have been a fan and loved what they've done through the years. I've always felt that the ship mostly looked the same from a distance.

That is, until recently.

Bungie vs. Marty Part II?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 08:24 (1055 days ago) @ cheapLEY

While I don't like it, this I can at least understand.

Is Marty… okay?

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 14:44 (1051 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Coaxkez, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 14:47

I am asking sincerely. I think we can all agree that the man is better off without a Twitter account, but his activity in recent months does not suggest a balanced state of mind. Remember what happened in January?

I’m not trying to be a dick… really… but something is wrong here.

Is Marty… okay?

by uber_chaos, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 21:24 (1050 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I very much get the impression that in the Bungie days, Marty was a force to be reckoned with. Now, his game studio is following up a lackluster release with a highly controversial resurrection of a game that’s being called on from many to be canceled again. His Halo theme is making a comeback without him (in fairness, he seemed to champion the forfeit of Halo to Microsoft and didn’t feel like “helping them” succeed). Bungie is, for the first time in… ever(?) operating with strong leadership and a clear roadmap.

In the past, he could make a fuss and get his way. He can’t do that anymore. The times have changed, but he seems to be having trouble moving on. I can relate, but at a certain point you have to accept *some* responsibility for these kinds of outcomes.

Mad respect for the work he’s done in shaping Halo. Picking “don’t you know who I am” fights in the community, vaguely sending a hate mob to Parsons, and undermining virtually everyone who doesn’t see things his way, I can’t stand behind. Hope he finds some peace, and I also hope

Also sorry to be the guy that disappears for ten years and then reappears when the proverbial p o o p hits the fan.

Is Marty… okay?

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, June 10, 2021, 04:38 (1050 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Are you the real Coaxkez? I know the FSR guys used to post on HBO...

Is Marty… okay?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 10, 2021, 08:43 (1050 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Are you the real Coaxkez? I know the FSR guys used to post on HBO...

Hey Marty what do you think of my beat?

“Unfrickinbelievable”

Is Marty… okay?

by Coaxkez, Thursday, June 10, 2021, 09:05 (1050 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Sadly not. Just a big fan of the beat. I would have chosen a different moniker if I had known those guys were still around.

Is Marty… okay?

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, June 11, 2021, 08:37 (1049 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Sadly not. Just a big fan of the beat. I would have chosen a different moniker if I had known those guys were still around.

Nah man, They've been MIA since like '07. Damn shame, they were incredible.

Twitter is deleted

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 11, 2021, 10:27 (1049 days ago) @ Coaxkez

https://twitter.com/martytheelder?lang=en

I hope it all ends up ok for him.

Twitter is deleted

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 11, 2021, 11:51 (1049 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was so excited when I saw your post in the sidebar. Alas, Twitter is still there.

lol

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 11, 2021, 11:54 (1049 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread