Hunter, IB, Netflix (Destiny)

by nico, Tuesday, June 08, 2021, 21:33 (1023 days ago)
edited by nico, Tuesday, June 08, 2021, 22:06

*gets IB bounties on hunter*
*notices "get ability kills" is still present*
*plays four games, trying different, foreign subclasses, with unhappy outcomes, as always, .5 K/D in latest*
*notices 7% progress after four games*
*launches Netflix, puts down headphones*
*takes a deep breath, the same deep breath since D1 for that bounty*
*Wishes that bounty was changed to something different*
*Feels bad for teammates*
*Watches Netflix*

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 08, 2021, 22:26 (1023 days ago) @ nico

Just don’t do it. It’s good for a single Pinnacle drop, is it really worth the rise in blood pressure?

I get it, I do all sorts of dumb shit in this stupid game that I’d rather not, some of which certainly does raise my blood pressure—I’m positive I can feel my actual life ticking away sometimes. Almost makes me want to take up smoking again, at least that’s enjoyable, unlike some of the bullshit Destiny asks of me.

Just delete that fucking bounty and move on, and at reset next Tuesday you won’t even know the difference between having done that bounty or not.

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by nico, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 08:35 (1023 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Just don’t do it. It’s good for a single Pinnacle drop, is it really worth the rise in blood pressure?

I get it, I do all sorts of dumb shit in this stupid game that I’d rather not, some of which certainly does raise my blood pressure—I’m positive I can feel my actual life ticking away sometimes. Almost makes me want to take up smoking again, at least that’s enjoyable, unlike some of the bullshit Destiny asks of me.

Just delete that fucking bounty and move on, and at reset next Tuesday you won’t even know the difference between having done that bounty or not.

That's good advice. I've had a "chase the drops" approach for the last few IBs which, in retrospect, sucked the fun out of the event. I'd, for example, lower my effective light level to progress faster. Following Claude's advice, I stopped doing that. Thanks!

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 09:10 (1023 days ago) @ nico

I pick up all the bounties and then proceed to ignore them. If they get done, great! If they don’t, it’s no skin off my back. If there’s one that’s close to finishing towards the end of the weekend I might make some extra effort to knock it out.

I’ve struggled immensely with engaging some this shit in Destiny. The game is absolutely designed in a way that I consider to be sort of insidious to make players feel like they have to do so. But you don’t. It’s a difficult impulse to fight, sometimes, but the game can be incredibly fun if you can get yourself to ignore the extraneous bullshit.

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 09:33 (1023 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I pick up all the bounties and then proceed to ignore them. If they get done, great! If they don’t, it’s no skin off my back. If there’s one that’s close to finishing towards the end of the weekend I might make some extra effort to knock it out.

This is the correct way to play. Destiny's systems are really tempting to play differently, but that is the path to darkness and "One more game... okay 4, damn 10 more games"

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 12:44 (1023 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

This is the correct way to play. Destiny's systems are really tempting to play differently, but that is the path to darkness and "One more game... okay 4, damn 10 more games"

You know I once got a lot of flak for telling people the correct way to play games lol

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 11:54 (1017 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There are very few ways to get T2 Pinnacles solo, so I guess that's the answer I have to your question. That said, I had a busy week and only did 2 character through IB and neither finished that bounty. so…

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by squidnh3, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 07:07 (1023 days ago) @ nico

Do Gemini Jesters assists count for this? I now wonder if that's why I don't always notice a struggle for this one. More likely I'm just getting a good amount of super kills.

Not looking forward to trying to figure out how to eke out another 10 hunter melee kills for the quest.

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by nico, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 08:37 (1023 days ago) @ squidnh3

Do Gemini Jesters assists count for this? I now wonder if that's why I don't always notice a struggle for this one. More likely I'm just getting a good amount of super kills.

Not looking forward to trying to figure out how to eke out another 10 hunter melee kills for the quest.

I know you like Gemini Jesters, but I've never been able to make them work for me.

For the melee kills, Claude suggested Liar's Handshake, and those worked well for me.

Gemini Jester School

by squidnh3, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 10:08 (1023 days ago) @ nico

I know you like Gemini Jesters, but I've never been able to make them work for me.

I'm not actually suggesting them for the purposes of helping out with your bounty (the "forget it" advice is probably for the best), but here's how I use them if you ever want to give them a try:

I make use of Gemini Jesters in 3 basic scenarios:
1. Harassment through walls - get close enough to the position the other team is holding, and constantly dodge. It will piss them off and make them unable to radar watch for a few moments, improving the chances that a push by you or your team will be successful.

2. While you are in a fight - dodge in the middle of a fight to disorient your opponent. This is pretty self-explanatory, but the nuances of it actually helping you turn the tables are the key. Doing it during a wide-open fight will probably not help, but doing it when you are playing ring-around-the-rosie or pop-a-shot opens your options for a sneaky move considerably.

3. While your ally is fighting an opponent - If you aren't in a position to team shoot, but are near enough, dodge to disorient the opponent. I actually find this to be the most effective use, as it will disorient the enemy while your ally can continue shooting as normal, very frequently winning the battle for your team, or at worst letting you clean up the opponent for a trade. A great way to stat pad as well.

Pair with bottom tree Nightstalker smoke bombs or Revenant Stasis with the "slow-on-dodge" ability for full-on dark side PvP builds. But it works for all subclasses so you can switch as needed for bounties or whatever. It's also more effective than you'd think in PvE if you are running top tree Arcstrider for a dodge-disorient-melee combo (but it might not be that competitive with Liar's Handshake).

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 09:35 (1023 days ago) @ nico

*gets IB bounties on hunter*
*notices "get ability kills" is still present*
*plays four games, trying different, foreign subclasses, with unhappy outcomes, as always, .5 K/D in latest*
*notices 7% progress after four games*
*launches Netflix, puts down headphones*
*takes a deep breath, the same deep breath since D1 for that bounty*
*Wishes that bounty was changed to something different*
*Feels bad for teammates*
*Watches Netflix*

This mirrors my experience with IB precisely. I will say that in this particular scenario, a loadout similar to this might be helpful. It's helped me with grenade bounties generally and is pretty fun. Probably not as effective in crucible.

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by nico, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 09:47 (1023 days ago) @ Kermit

Interesting, I'll have to watch the full vid.

Hunter, IB, Netflix

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 11:44 (1023 days ago) @ nico

I had not once used a skip grenade until I saw that video.

Netflix and kill

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 09:41 (1023 days ago) @ nico

- No text -

Netflix and kill

by nico, Wednesday, June 09, 2021, 09:45 (1023 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I lol'd!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread