Anybody know latin?

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 18:36 (4056 days ago)

Watch the ViDoc. Underneath the title "Pathways out of darkness" you can quickly see some text appear to the left of "a Destiny ViDoc".

[image]

Here's my best guess after downloading the mp4:

NULLAM ENIM LEO,
EGESTAS ID, MASSA
SED ELEIFEND
NONUMMY DIAMM
ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID, NONUM CONDIMENTUM
AT, LAOREET MATTIS, MASSA SED ENIM LEO,
ID NONUM CONDIMENTUM AT
DIAM
M ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID, NONUM
CONDIMENTUM AT, LAOREET
MATTIS, MASSA SED
ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID,
NONUM CONDIMENTUM AT
MASSA SED ELEIFEND NONUMMY DIAM M ENIM LEO, E

Note: Not all of the lines appear at the same time. No idea if that would help with the translation.

I don't know latin, so I'm not sure if my spelling is right, if I put an extra comma in there or missed one. Google Translate gave me a few different outputs depending on where I inserted line breaks and commas. The only translation that remotely interested me was this one:

no lion
Want to reserve
but Japan
well drilling
For a lion, ie poverty, improve the ninth
But, more comprehensive, but for the mass of a lion,
But it's the ninth
drilling
m for a lion, the need for that ninth
More at pump
comprehensive, but the mass
For a lion, the need for that
But ninth sauce
m for mass, but it's a local platform, the

Obviously it's a bad translation, but if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd grasp at straws and wonder if Destiny will be available on eight platforms, but NOT OSX/Mountain Lion. (Eight platforms could be: 360, PS3, iOS, Android, PC, 720, PS4, and uh... WiiU?). Please don't go spreading rumors around the internet based on this. I'm just highlighting the possibility that this latin blurb mentions "platforms".

Anybody know latin? I need a translation that WON'T cause DeeJ a headache tomorrow.

Biggus Di...nvm

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, February 18, 2013, 18:56 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Don't neglect OSX!

I posted a cry for help on twitter.

Destiny confirmed on all platforms! *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, February 18, 2013, 18:57 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Destiny on Dreamcast!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, February 18, 2013, 19:57 (4056 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Saving up for "Super Destiny".

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, February 18, 2013, 19:59 (4056 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Oh wow.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, February 18, 2013, 20:02 (4056 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I almost made pretty much the same comment.

Not long ago, on NeoGAF, I saw an argument about what "next gen" means. One person argued that the "next gen" (apparantly not "current gen", but whatever) was whatever a console maker's most recent console was. The conclusion was that the Dreamcast will forever be a next-gen console.

Dude, this is awesome!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, February 18, 2013, 20:56 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I took a couple years of Latin in highschool, and while I may not have a firm grasp on the language/vocabulary/grammar, I am totally gonna take a crack at this. Awesome find man!

Dude, this is awesome!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:04 (4056 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Dude, this is awesome!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:23 (4055 days ago) @ narcogen

"This photo is private. Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo. Here's a link back to your home page."

Anybody know latin?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, February 18, 2013, 21:50 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:22

I was noticing that the Geomantic symbol next to the title 'Pathways Out Of Darkness' is the symbol "Fortuna Minor", astrologically speaking the symbol is commonly associated with Leo (constellation) and the Sun (Sol). It is also associated with the deities Apollo (think of all those Earth based Apollo moon missions!?) and Jupiter.

So there is the constellation, the astrological (zodiac) sign, 'Lunar Exploration Orbiter' Germany's Leo Space Mission/craft, and Space term 'Low Earth Orbit' LEO. Just to name a few common space ideas.

I'm not quite sure why but personally I associate Leo with King or Royalty. Which would be another idea that could easily fit into the story of the game, I think.

Possible explanation, Lorem Ipsum

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:10 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I am a little tired at the moment and haven't gotten very far in translating the text (Read: I'm tired, not that smart, and lazy) but I have an early guess as to what this may be. I think this is what is called a "Lorem Ipsum" text. I would link to an explanation, but I am not that smart with my ipod touch yet. Suffice to say the text itself doesn't really mean anything. However, it still may have some sort of significance that I am gonna think about for a while, but I am not holding my breath. Sorry to disappoint man, but with that perception you're bound to find something awesome sooner or later. Keep it up!

Anybody know latin?

by SEC3OPCAPTI, Monday, February 18, 2013, 22:10 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

You know, i too agree with what you say: though, i only roughly translated it as well, but, in comparison, you're kinda close. I took latin class and agree that your speculations may also be true. if you wish to further this investigation, i reccommend you contacting Ms Julie Rosser, from Jefferson County High School, she is the latin teacher there, maybe she can help even further. (if you do, tell her "Mars" from 2011 says hi; ^.^ the one that submitted 7 links to her site lol ) here's her website: http://web.jc-schools.net/rosserj/

;) Good luck (d)Operative!

This Latin Is Gibberish

by Hoovaloov, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 00:29 (4056 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by Hoovaloov, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 00:32

I spotted the Latin as well. Having taken it for two years long ago, I still kind of remember the basics of declension and conjugation. So I took a crack at it one word at a time with an online dictionary to give me the root meaning of each word.

Quickly, I discovered that the grammar is all wrong. In a Latin sentence, nouns and verbs are connected using male, female, or neutral endings. So a verb will take on the gender of the noun in order to let the reader know which noun is using the verb. The first line of the ViDoc, "NULLAM ENIM LEO," literally translates to "Truly, the lion no one" or "Indeed, not any lion." The problem is that LEO has a male ending, and NULLAM has a female ending. So that doesn't work at all.

Undeterred, I kept going to the next line, but it's even worse, grammatically speaking. "EGESTAS IS, MASSA" literally translates to "Poverty it, lump" or "Need it, burden." But again, it doesn't work because EGESTAS, ID, and MASSA are all nouns in the Nominative case, which means they are all the subjects of the sentence. This is like saying, "Dog boat, rock." It just doesn't mean anything.

But it all clicked on the third line, "SED ELEIFEND." SED means "but", however, none of the online Latin dictionaries could give me a meaning for ELEIFEND or even what I guessed was the root, ELEIF. The only search results containing ELEIFEND all pointed to the famous "LOREM IPSUM" text used as a placeholder when designing document and website layouts.

So I searched the LOREM IPSUM text for other phrases from the ViDoc text. Sure enough, everything in the ViDoc text has been lifted straight from the third and fourth "sentences" of LOREM IPSUM.

Compare the ViDoc text...

NULLAM ENIM LEO,
EGESTAS ID, MASSA
SED ELEIFEND
NONUMMY DIAMM
ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID, NONUM CONDIMENTUM
AT, LAOREET MATTIS, MASSA SED ENIM LEO,
ID NONUM CONDIMENTUM AT
DIAM
M ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID, NONUM
CONDIMENTUM AT, LAOREET
MATTIS, MASSA SED
ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID,
NONUM CONDIMENTUM AT
MASSA SED ELEIFEND NONUMMY DIAM M ENIM LEO, E

...to this segment of LOREM IPSUM:

NULLAM ENIM LEO, EGESTAS ID, CONDIMENTUM AT, LAOREET MATTIS,
MASSA. SED ELEIFEND NONUMMY DIAM.

As you can see, whoever made the ViDoc opening just copied and pasted pieces from LOREM IPSUM, probably assuming it would be too small to read or people would quickly give up once they saw it was in Latin. :)

This Latin Is Gibberish

by stan, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:10 (4055 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Which obviously points to a FOURTH class of player: the publisher! (or perhaps typesetter, it isn't clear at this point).

This is my favorite part of the Bungie experience, puzzling out all the little clues and mysteries they provide before the game actually ships. I think we can chalk this one up as solved. Next?

This is that point...

by pooberry, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 09:27 (4055 days ago) @ stan

Years from now, I will go back and look at the start of DBO and wonder how I got so sucked in. So to future me: this post was the start of it.
I was away from HBO since Reach came out, but now I've been lurking for the couple of days since the unveiling... absorbing the sliced nuggets of info we've been presented.
This post marked a turning point, though.
I chuckled a bit, and realized that I was actually, genuinely interested in picking apart the pre-release details of a new Bungie universe. Not just keeping tabs on others' developments, but contributing to the circus. It's been a while.

I'm pretty pumped.

This is that point...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 09:35 (4055 days ago) @ pooberry

Welcome back. :) I'm seeing a lot of old names pop up around here - it's a good thing.

This is that point...

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 00:40 (4051 days ago) @ pooberry

Years from now, I will go back and look at the start of DBO and wonder how I got so sucked in. So to future me: this post was the start of it.
I was away from HBO since Reach came out, but now I've been lurking for the couple of days since the unveiling... absorbing the sliced nuggets of info we've been presented.
This post marked a turning point, though.
I chuckled a bit, and realized that I was actually, genuinely interested in picking apart the pre-release details of a new Bungie universe. Not just keeping tabs on others' developments, but contributing to the circus. It's been a while.

I'm pretty pumped.

Haha, I'm right there with you. I've been away for a while but I've always had a great experience being part of the Bungie community during the buildup to something new. It's as if the game itself is just a small part of the vast theme park we build around it (in a good way). Exciting times.

This Latin Is Gibberish

by GrimBrother IV, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 06:06 (4055 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

As you can see, whoever made the ViDoc opening just copied and pasted pieces from LOREM IPSUM, probably assuming it would be too small to read or people would quickly give up once they saw it was in Latin. :)

Have they forgotten us so soon?

Darn that ELEIFEND

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 06:54 (4055 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

We did exactly the same work my friend. Darn, and I was hoping to flex my Latin skills on this one. Maybe later :)

In the meantime, here's a cool quote from Cicero's de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum or On the Ends of Good and Evil, which is the source of the Lorem Ipsum text.

"Omnium enim rerum principia parva sunt"
"The beginnings of all things are small"

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread