Some Movie Recommendations (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 15, 2021, 12:10 (1014 days ago)

Recently I've been digging out of a backlog of Movies I've wanted to see for quite some time. It's been a real feast, by and large, and I'd like to share some thoughts on what I've seen. While I don't mention it directly, basically all of these require some sort of maturity from the viewer. From glofied violence to carte blanche breastfeeding, or even just the sudden and casual presentation of such voluptuous form, viewer discretion is advised.

Interstellar - About time I got to this. Ghost was obvious from the start, so the real fun was seeing how the two points would meet. Those ORGANS! WOW! Scientifically accurate simulations?! In a MOVIE!?! SO COOL! Oh, and the story was neat too, if a touch more "Captain Planet" then I'd expect from a movie with this budget. Very enjoyable.

Margin Call - This is a movie of people talking, and by that metric alone it should be boring. But it's not. It's real world theater, and I found it to be very enthralling. Then again, how could it not? What a cast.

Ex Machina - For this I have more an observation then a direct review. It's a well made movie, with the VFX showing to be a particular stand out. Yet, the story. Oh no, no no, it's well done, but it isn't for everyone. TO quote Al Wilson; "Now you knew darn well I was a snake before you brought me in". This movie asks, which one is the snake? It has been interesting reading the reviews for this movie, as even though the movie TELLS YOU, it is open enough to where the mind can ignore the warnings despite evidence to the contrary. I find understanding the responses to this movie help with understanding the world as it exists right now.

Alita: Battle Angel - This movie is 2 hours long, practically on the dot. It needed 15 more minutes. This movie is a steady drum roll of exposition. One can feel the speed it wants to go, compressing it, due in part to those who created it desperately wanted to get to "Book 4" as I recall which involves "Motorball". If this movie was just allowed to breathe, 1 minute here, 1 minute there. Oh, and the FRAMING! How one character is introduced feels SO FORCED I can practically feel the director pushing this person on the screen! AHHH! And the ending is WAY too open ended. All in all, this movie, was so close. It needed a few more passes, but not that many. So close to being so wholly well made. With those gripes made, I did find my enjoyment of this movie was greater than my dislikes. There is just enough world building in this where I would like to see more, and on top of that, I've found a second viewing to be far more enjoyable. My favorite scene is by the water.

Redline - Has your wife/girlfriend left the room? Yeah? Ok....

HOLY FUha ha "bad words"! THIS MOVIE IS THE DRUGS! Which drugs? Well I'm glad you asked. This movie is every upper known by man, two known by chimpanzees and several known to extraterrestrials. It's that, but ALL OF THOSE DRUGS, pure cut columbian kilo lased with powdered testosterone smashed into your Scarface with a litteney of weirdness and amazing and ... holy shit. This movie is a testosterone filled mind fuck, and it's very possible you'll need a cigarette when you are done.

Was it good for you?*

*Do not watch this movie if you have heart issues.

TRON: Legacy - What is there to say? The story is whatever but everything else is sensorial candy.

Dredd - Where the F is Dredd 2? Karl Urban f'n naled it.

They Shall Not Grow Old - Can we turn this into a new genre of film? To say I enjoyed the causal time travel is an understatement, even for something so... I don't even know what to say.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya - I'm just going to come out and say it; this movie is a tragedy and its motif is agency. If any metaphor can be gleamed from it, purely as presented, it would be... growing up, I suppose. Story wise this is a movie for those who ENJOY, or can find enjoyment in, the more tragic scenarios welded by Shakespeare (for example). I admit, the whole reason I wanted to see this was animation all this is presented in, and to that I can say I did not leave disappointed.

The Hunt for Red October - Just finished this one, so I'm still digesting it, so all I can say is that I found it to be as good as I heard it was. That transition from Russian to English? *Chefs Kiss*

Pending;
Your Name
The Boy and the World
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Seventh Seal
Barry Lyndon
...and others.

Some Movie Recommendations

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 15, 2021, 13:22 (1014 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I always saw Ex Machina as a sort of Turing test for the audience. Can you empathize with a woman? Whether the audience sees the film from Caleb’s perspective or Ava’s perspective tells you a lot about how they’ll feel about the end.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 15, 2021, 16:02 (1013 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I always saw Ex Machina as a sort of Turing test for the audience.

In a way I'd say that a farly apt observation, as such is certainly the initial sell of the movie, right? Even within the story it is asked, does this robot seem human to you? If it looks duck, and quacks like a duck, and ERROR: HUMAN EMPATHY NOT FOUND is it a duck?

Can you empathize with a woman? Whether the audience sees the film from Caleb’s perspective or Ava’s perspective tells you a lot about how they’ll feel about the end.

I get what you say here, but the phrasing is just... eh. All said, form is irrelevant as the form could be ostensibly anything, except it not because tits sell movie tickets.

Ha ha, tits.

[image]
Pictured: Great Tits. What are we 12!!! ...lol.

And of the two "Perspectives" presented, I'm sure only one of them was feeling anything.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 15, 2021, 16:56 (1013 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, July 15, 2021, 17:00

Ha ha, tits.

You joke, but when Caleb intrudes and watches her put on her skin, this is the moment we know he's not a good guy after all.

But that was I think the beauty of the film. It was't a straight up 1:1 symbolism of whether robots have souls or whatever, but using that scenario as a metaphor for how men see women.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 15, 2021, 16:24 (1013 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread