THAB! (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 14:34 (995 days ago)
edited by Kermit, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 14:44

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50506

Lots of cross-play goodness. No voice chat yet, but coming shortly. Warm up Mumble or sump'm.

Keyboard support coming for consoles (for chat only)

Standard names across the board. PVP segregated by console or PC, unless your fireteam is desegregated, then good luck consolers taking on PC gods.

PVE is for everyone.

Lots of moolah raised for charity.

dmg sez get vaccinated, dummy [my words, not his]

THAB!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 15:09 (995 days ago) @ Kermit

I think I’ve done a good job of not posting a bunch of complaints lately, but their cross play roll out sucks.

No voice chat. Great, I love playing with people I can’t talk to.

So you’re going to automate changing names of some people, and not give them the option to change it until in the future? Then just wait and be release cross play when it’s actually ready. Having your naming convention work is part of that. If there is a situation where someone will just end up as Guardian#### against their will, the entire feature isn’t ready.

I know this isn’t a huge deal, and it doesn’t even affect me personally at all, but come on. Why do they have to half ass literally everything they do? It’s just frustrating.

THAB!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 17:23 (995 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think I’ve done a good job of not posting a bunch of complaints lately, but their cross play roll out sucks.

No voice chat. Great, I love playing with people I can’t talk to.

I think they realize it's not ideal and debated delaying it because of this, but this sounds like a late-breaking snafu, which happens. They probably would have delayed the roll out because of it but the fix is apparently coming very soon.

I think most people are going to be like me and wait for chat support before diving in, and the benefit of this is it will give Bungie a little bit of a staggered roll-out with a smaller user base. This is very useful when rolling out something this complex. Software is hard.

So you’re going to automate changing names of some people, and not give them the option to change it until in the future?

That's not true. They laid out their plans so people can anticipate exactly what will happen, and suggested they change their name now if they have unsupported characters before their names are processed.

Then just wait and be release cross play when it’s actually ready. Having your naming convention work is part of that. If there is a situation where someone will just end up as Guardian#### against their will, the entire feature isn’t ready.

Guardian#### a possibility, that's all. All platforms don't support all characters. It's a problem. They can't mind read and know what the player would want to replace unsupported characters. They're being transparent about negative possibilities precisely to mitigate them. Not having the ability to change your name immediately after rollout is not ideal, but it's not a showstopper. Especially since you can change your name before.

I know this isn’t a huge deal, and it doesn’t even affect me personally at all, but come on. Why do they have to half ass literally everything they do?

Hyperbole is very popular these days. I'm happy something I thought was impossible is possible. Yay!

THAB!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 17:44 (995 days ago) @ Kermit

It's just at a sort of breaking point. They've been released half-baked bullshit since Forsaken, with just enough great stuff mixed in to coast along on.

This sort of thing highlights exactly why the Destiny model sucks--instead of designing anything holistically, the game feels like a million disparate elements smashed together without much care or thought.

Releasing cross play without things I would consider to be absolutely core features is just the latest example.

THAB!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 31, 2021, 09:42 (994 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Releasing cross play without things I would consider to be absolutely core features is just the latest example.

They literally stated they thought about holding off crossplay until it was all working, man...

THAB!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 31, 2021, 17:29 (993 days ago) @ ZackDark

I’m genuinely not sure what point you’re trying to make here.

That they considered not making a poor decision does not excuse them going forward with the poor decision.

THAB!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 31, 2021, 18:05 (993 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m genuinely not sure what point you’re trying to make here.

That they considered not making a poor decision does not excuse them going forward with the poor decision.

It means comms not working out was not a decision, but a temporary concession.

THAB!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, July 31, 2021, 18:37 (993 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, July 31, 2021, 18:59

That’s bull. Not being able to get comms working is an unfortunate reality that making games is difficult. Pushing out cross play without comms is absolutely a decision, one I disagree with, and one I think highlights the way Destiny is developed overall.

Destiny as a whole is an unfortunate concession. My frustration with that is why I said anything in the first place, despite not really caring about cross play.

THAB!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, August 01, 2021, 12:07 (993 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Kermit, Sunday, August 01, 2021, 12:16

That’s bull. Not being able to get comms working is an unfortunate reality that making games is difficult. Pushing out cross play without comms is absolutely a decision, one I disagree with, and one I think highlights the way Destiny is developed overall.

I'm sure you realize that risking this reaction was factored into their decision, too, and they made it regardless. My guess is they're very confident they have a low-risk solution in hand that just can't quite get implemented in this release schedule, and they're also factoring in the costs of not following this release schedule. Those costs we can't really know, because we don't know how they've planned their future features and resource allocation.

Destiny as a whole is an unfortunate concession. My frustration with that is why I said anything in the first place, despite not really caring about cross play.

I don't agree with your global assessment, but I certainly agree that Destiny development has had its highs and lows. I think the trend line has gone up. There are parts of the game that are better than ever, and other parts that I don't like. For instance, I really didn't like content disappearing, yet I think they last two raids have been fantastic (even though one is a retread).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread