Congrats to Dead Orbit (Destiny)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 07:41 (982 days ago)

They went from cheapLEY attitude to Cody Miller attitude finally.

lol

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 08:48 (982 days ago) @ bluerunner

Honestly, as soon as that lore card with Lakshmi conspiring with Hideo and Jalal dropped, I had to drop my favorite Dead Orbit emblem. Turns out they didn't help her with her coup, just helped New Monarchy get the hell out.

Dead Orbit emblem restored.

Also, Dead Orbit finally won the factions dispute.

• Future War Cult promised to use their Vex machinery to avoid nasty futures: almost brought it to life themselves
  • New Monarchy promised to establish a new order of peace: literally conspired to a civil war that almost brought ruin to the entire Last City
  • Dead Orbit promised to leave: left

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 09:52 (982 days ago) @ bluerunner

I really need to find a good place that summarizes the story from after Forsaken. Any suggestions?

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:19 (981 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have not watched it, but I have heard good things.
https://youtu.be/9mbDXvDNqTU

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 11:06 (981 days ago) @ bluerunner

It'll be interesting to see what/if they replace the faction "drama" with.

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 12:04 (981 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by Korny, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 12:08

Funny that FWC turned out to be barely veiled racists who saw themselves as oppressed victims, using their prophecies to justify their skewed and bigoted viewpoints, only to end up losing the support of the good people who saw through their pearl clutching for what it was, and becoming victims of their own hubris.

Not that anyone around here has a similar attitude, of course, but it sure is timely in our society. I'd like to think that maybe that's what Bungie was going for.

Also, has anyone seen Lakshmi's body? I missed it during my run, apparently. Folks said to look for the teabagging Guardians to find it, lol.

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 12:46 (981 days ago) @ Korny

I’m gonna have to change my Xbox profile picture.

I found it all sort of underwhelming, honestly. The Override in the Eliksni quarter was neat. That cutscene was pretty bad, though. I didn’t realize the Vex were Stormtrooper levels of awful when it comes to shooting things—I’m glad Saint and Misraaks were able to just stand there and watch the Vex wildly miss everyone. Saint knows he’s a Guardian, right, and has magic powers?

Also, why was it in slow motion?

Sorry, I’m bitching again. I like the concept of what they were shooting for, but, much like the Vex in that cutscene, they missed the mark. It was just underwhelming.

I’m glad I didn’t have to fight servers for an hour in order to see it in the last twenty minutes of the season, though.

Ah Shit, There Was a Cutscene?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 13:04 (981 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So…what’s all this about?

Ah Shit, There Was a Cutscene?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 13:21 (981 days ago) @ Morpheus

So…what’s all this about?

A cool-on-paper-but-lacks-any-weight-or-stakes action sequence at that!

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 13:19 (981 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I found it all sort of underwhelming, honestly. The Override in the Eliksni quarter was neat. That cutscene was pretty bad, though. I didn’t realize the Vex were Stormtrooper levels of awful when it comes to shooting things—I’m glad Saint and Misraaks were able to just stand there and watch the Vex wildly miss everyone. Saint knows he’s a Guardian, right, and has magic powers?

So the Vex missing is Lore-friendly, as stupid and contrived as it sounds (Splicers can hack their aim, according to the Cryosthesia tab). As for Saint. Is he still a Light-weilder? I vaguely recall him using the Light at some point, but it was my understanding that his Ghost is dead. He does have a line of dialogue about knowing what it's like to lose one's Light. The bigger question is why he's using a non-slug shotgun to snipe the Vex.

This is the biggest downside of mocap-based cutscenes in games, the flow and timing is always off. This is fixable, but it takes more than the minimum amount of work/time/budget, so we don't see it done a whole lot, and it's sad.
It also sucks that they don't want to move their characters around a lot, so that's why we get "enemies walk straight at them past the point where they could miss a single shot, but hey, it could be worse.

Sorry, I’m bitching again. I like the concept of what they were shooting for, but, much like the Vex in that cutscene, they missed the mark. It was just underwhelming.

It's funny that I kind of called it the other night (Eliksni quarter with NPCs coming to aid/embrace the Eliksni as their own). I liked it for what it was, but this supposed to be a mad scramble to save the city from Vex incursion, and the dialogue later implies that it was, but... It was such a weak presentation.

Also, it was so weird hearing the "You're my people" line in a game again so soon after The Last of Us II earned it (and even then, I thought it kind of felt clunky there).

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 15:35 (981 days ago) @ Korny

So the Vex missing is Lore-friendly, as stupid and contrived as it sounds (Splicers can hack their aim, according to the Cryosthesia tab). As for Saint. Is he still a Light-weilder? I vaguely recall him using the Light at some point, but it was my understanding that his Ghost is dead. He does have a line of dialogue about knowing what it's like to lose one's Light. The bigger question is why he's using a non-slug shotgun to snipe the Vex.

He used a Sentinel shield in the cutscene when he comes out of the Infinite Forest in whatever season that was.

They can make Vex aim lore friendly if they want, but that didn’t make the cutscene any less boring because of it. This is supposed to be some awful battle for the city? There’s like 12 Vex there and they can’t hit shit. I felt absolutely no danger or tension in that scene at all. I’d have yelled at Ikora for wasting her fucking super on a trash mob that any one of us could have killed blindfolded with whatever trash weapon the bounty we’re carrying required.

This is the biggest downside of mocap-based cutscenes in games, the flow and timing is always off. This is fixable, but it takes more than the minimum amount of work/time/budget, so we don't see it done a whole lot, and it's sad.
It also sucks that they don't want to move their characters around a lot, so that's why we get "enemies walk straight at them past the point where they could miss a single shot, but hey, it could be worse.

I know you complained about this last season, and I thought that cutscene looked fine, but this one was genuinely awful in that regard. It’s like they were all underwater or something.

Also, it was so weird hearing the "You're my people" line in a game again so soon after The Last of Us II earned it (and even then, I thought it kind of felt clunky there).

It was obvious they were going to play that angle, and I like that angle, I don’t hate that they did, but it didn’t really feel earned. I think it’s fine within the context of what Destiny and it’s seasons are or even could be, but the story of every season so far has felt like the sketch or outline of an actually well told story.

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 15:30 (981 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I found it all sort of underwhelming, honestly. The Override in the Eliksni quarter was neat. That cutscene was pretty bad, though. I didn’t realize the Vex were Stormtrooper levels of awful when it comes to shooting things—I’m glad Saint and Misraaks were able to just stand there and watch the Vex wildly miss everyone.

Korny mentioned this, but the lore for Cryothesia 77K talks about the Splicer Gauntlet:

She raised her dominant hand and the thin spindles of her Splicer Gauntlet clacked into place and began to spin. She envisioned the Light surrounding— [...] She saw the Vex targeting field sweep over her, flashing crimson and white. She shifted it with a wave of her hand and a hundred shots flew wide.

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 13:29 (981 days ago) @ bluerunner

Everyone who is still crazy enough to be here is a giant meme, and I love it. *Cheers Theme song*

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 16:15 (981 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Everyone who is still crazy enough to be here is a giant meme, and I love it. *Cheers Theme song*

I feel that bluerunner story hour has been missing for a while. Which is too bad because I have so many new additions. I mean, just this week I have found myself in the middle of a nudist colony and at the headquarters of the Church of Scientology.

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 11, 2021, 16:25 (981 days ago) @ bluerunner

I feel that bluerunner story hour has been missing for a while. Which is too bad because I have so many new additions. I mean, just this week I have found myself in the middle of a nudist colony and at the headquarters of the Church of Scientology.

Talk about Di-nude-etics

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 12:18 (980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Talk about Di-nude-etics

Wouldn't it be Dia-nude-ics? Just my humble opinion.

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 17:00 (980 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Talk about Di-nude-etics

Wouldn't it be Dia-nude-ics? Just my humble opinion.

That is way better!

Congrats to Dead Orbit

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 11:59 (980 days ago) @ bluerunner

Hmmm. So would this story be best with a Seinfeld Theme, or Curb Your Enthusiasm Theme?

Were those two different places?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 12, 2021, 12:00 (980 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 13:35 (980 days ago) @ ZackDark

One I was repairing a water heater, and the other I just wandered by and took some pictures.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 14:39 (980 days ago) @ bluerunner

One I was repairing a water heater, and the other I just wandered by and took some pictures.

I like how you don't specify which one you took pictures of.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 17:31 (980 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by bluerunner, Thursday, August 12, 2021, 17:35

I like how you don't specify which one you took pictures of.

Well, I wasn't going to hang around there too long. Those people are weird.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread