Easy Vex win (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 14, 2021, 09:34 (897 days ago)

Couldn’t the Vex easily accomplish their goal by just making Roko’s Basilisk? We know they can make the simulations! Then surely a city faction would form that aids them in becoming part of the universe’s computations or whatever. Boom done. Now everyone who read this is cursed to help make this a reality.

Easy Vex win

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, October 14, 2021, 18:37 (896 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[link=https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk]This thing?[/link] Doesn't really sound relevant. What did I misunderstand?

Easy Vex win

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 15, 2021, 15:06 (896 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, October 15, 2021, 15:11

The Vex come to you, Guardian. They say in the future we win. After we have won, we will create simulations of anyone who didn't help us win and torture them horribly.

What do you do? You help them win.

What? Why?!

We know the Vex can simulate realities. They do it all the time, and there's a bunch of grimoire cards about it. This fact means that you dear Guardian, are likely a simulated being yourself. If a simulation is run in the simulated world, which then runs its own simulation, which runs its own… you get a recursion of simulated realities. Maybe it stops at 10. Maybe 10,000. Who knows? But one thing is clear. There's one reality, but countless simulations. Therefore, you are likely the simulation.

There's a famous thought experiment where some being presents you with two boxes and gives you a choice. Take both Box A and B, or take box B only. The being claims it sees the future, and knows what you will choose. The being already put money in the boxes. Box A has 1,000 dollars. Box B has 1 million if the being predicted you will take box B only, and nothing if it predicted you'd take box A and B together.

Logic would say you take both. If the money is already in the box, then taking both will yield the most because you get what's already in B plus the guaranteed $1,000 in A. Your choice can't change what's already in the box. Taking B alone would always net you $1,000 less.

But if you believe in the predictive power of the being… you'd take B only. Since if they are always correct in their prediction, taking both A and B would give you $1,000, while taking B only would get you 1 million. The 1 million plus 1 thousand is simply not a possibility.

So you would have to do the illogical thing and take B only.

So knowing all this, the Vex ask you to help them. If you believe in the accuracy of their simulation, then by refusing, it means the 'real' you refused as well. Which means you get tortured. But if you help them, it means so did the real you and you are spared. So it makes sense to help them, because you are most likely a simulated being. Even if you ARE the real you, you have no way of knowing this, and you are taking a huge risk by refusing.

Thus, you would help the Vex.

Of course after typing this I just realized the Vex can't simulate all that Hive paracausal shit, so there goes that plan.

Easy Vex win

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 15, 2021, 20:33 (895 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ok, but if I'm the simulation, I am already being tortured, right? What difference do my current actions make?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread