PvP Resilience Study (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Friday, October 15, 2021, 10:35 (917 days ago)

This guy did an interesting analysis of determining which levels of resilience give you the most bang for your buck against various weapon archetypes in the current meta. It's an interesting dive, though he takes a while to get to his point.

Bottom Line: 3, 6-7, 9 are your biggest bumps.

Now go rework everything via the site INSANE dropped on us.

PvP Resilience Study

by squidnh3, Friday, October 15, 2021, 10:52 (917 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I play almost exclusively at 3 or 4, in both PvP and PvE.

It is almost always true that the best way to not die in PvP is to be shot less, rather than be able to take more shots. Disengaging from a fight and making an opponent have to chase you down to kill you buys your team time and positioning. Making your opponent pull the trigger one more time doesn't gain you nearly as much. Obvious simplification, but being "hard to kill" is one of the most useful skills in Destiny PvP, and Resilience simply doesn't help all that much with that skill (exception: Titan barricade).

PvP Resilience Study

by Robot Chickens, Friday, October 15, 2021, 11:12 (917 days ago) @ squidnh3

It is almost always true that the best way to not die in PvP is to be shot less, rather than be able to take more shots. Disengaging from a fight and making an opponent have to chase you down to kill you buys your team time and positioning. Making your opponent pull the trigger one more time doesn't gain you nearly as much. Obvious simplification, but being "hard to kill" is one of the most useful skills in Destiny PvP, and Resilience simply doesn't help all that much with that skill (exception: Titan barricade).

Yeah, that's been my general assumption. I found this more interesting from the point of view where you've picked your perfect stat distribution and have a bunch of dump stats left over. Is it better to go from 3 to 4 resilience, or should you put it somewhere else?

PvP Resilience Study

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 15, 2021, 15:13 (917 days ago) @ squidnh3

Would it not be a giant advantage to be facing off against someone, and require them to hit you one more time? If you trade blows 1 for 1, you would beat them every time. Then you go hide and recharge do it again.

Does having that extra resilience somehow prevent you from disengaging in your example? How? I remember mobility related stat boosts were incredibly minor, but then again I haven't played the game for <checks watch> almost 3 years.

PvP Resilience Study

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 15, 2021, 16:12 (917 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Would it not be a giant advantage to be facing off against someone, and require them to hit you one more time? If you trade blows 1 for 1, you would beat them every time. Then you go hide and recharge do it again.

If you expect that every encounter is a 1v1 encounter, then yes, assuming you're of equal skill, having more resilience will give you the win.

In my (admittedly limited and totally anecdotal) experience, though, only a small percentage of Trials encounters are 1v1.

PvP Resilience Study

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, October 15, 2021, 17:15 (917 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If you expect that every encounter is a 1v1 encounter, then yes, assuming you're of equal skill, having more resilience will give you the win.

In my (admittedly limited and totally anecdotal) experience, though, only a small percentage of Trials encounters are 1v1.

Right, but currently how much does having all that resilience negatively affect your ability to retreat, as in squids example?

PvP Resilience Study

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 15, 2021, 17:44 (917 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Given the way armor rolls typically drop, it greatly affects my ability to retreat. Every point of Resilience is a point I could have had in Mobility instead for a higher Dodge uptime.

PvP Resilience Study

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, October 16, 2021, 10:40 (916 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Given the way armor rolls typically drop, it greatly affects my ability to retreat. Every point of Resilience is a point I could have had in Mobility instead for a higher Dodge uptime.

Heh - I have two main PvP hunter builds (one focused on Mythoclast, the other on DMT).

The first is 10/7/6/6/6/4, the second is 10/5/8/6/6/3.

I don't feel squishier in one than the other, so T7 Resilience/T6 Recovery feels (to me) to be roughly equivalent to T5 Resilience/T8 Recovery. I'm not sure if this says more about my inability to discern subtle differences, or the fact that stats aren't QUITE as important as we make them out to be.

PvP Resilience Study

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 16, 2021, 12:01 (916 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think that’s what I’m asking. If stats don’t matter much, it would seem stacking resilience to survive an extra shot would be the largest advantage.

PvP Resilience Study

by squidnh3, Saturday, October 16, 2021, 12:53 (916 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think that’s what I’m asking. If stats don’t matter much, it would seem stacking resilience to survive an extra shot would be the largest advantage.

I think what I was trying to say earlier, is that none of the stats will help you if your decision making is poor. If you are getting into lots of 1v1s where things are coming down to who has more Resilience, you aren't playing Destiny the way it should be played.

That being said, since you have stats, you might as well use them, so what should you prioritize? Well, what I'm saying is that Destiny is best played as a pace and movement game. You want to be able to get to your spots fast, you want to be able to re-enter the next fight faster, and you want to make your opponents uncomfortable by whatever means necessary. For me, that means Mobility, Recovery, and Intellect are the most important, especially on Hunter where your dodge cooldown is tied to Mobility. Discipline and Strength also make a lot of sense for certain "builds". Resilience is just at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to prioritizing smart, aggressive play that puts pressure on your opponent to make mistakes.

PvP Resilience Study

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 16, 2021, 13:46 (916 days ago) @ squidnh3

Cool man. Thanks for the breakdown.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread