The Uncharted movie trailer. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 10:37 (910 days ago)

This film looks absolutely terrible.

The Uncharted movie trailer.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 10:56 (910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

As a B movie, it looks fine. As an adaptation of the games, it's extremely disappointing. It's ostensibly a prequel to the series, but it completely discards essentially everything established in Uncharted 3 (and rushing straight to Uncharted 4), while grabbing random setpieces from the games.
It's more than just "They're not accurate!", it's absolutely butchering key points of the journey of these characters (Avery's ship is literally the final note in the Swan Song of the Drake brothers' saga, and here it's the climax of the prequel!? Come on.

Also, why couldn't 2020, like.... at least bench Mark Wahlberg for a while so they could properly cast Sully?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 14:25 (910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Who cast this? I just. Don't. Even.

Disclaimer: I've never played any "Uncharted" anything as it's Playstation. Someday someday. Boy do I have a LIST of need to plays for Playstation. Anyway...

Where was I? Oh right... WHO CAST THIS?!

Tom Holland is hella talented, and I'm so happy for this kids success. I think he's totally nailed Spiderman. Problem is, he's typecast himself as a Cuter Michael Cera. Most of the stuff he has done is his brand of Spiderman. Other stuff is unknown to me. I know him for spiderman, and this one clip here of "Lip-Sync" Dance that he totally nails.

That's it.

So for me to make that leap of faith that he is now the expert historian and adventurer Nathan Drake is a bit too large for me. His face is WAAYY too young for this role. Maybe this is a bit of a cop-out at this point, but young Harrison Ford looked the part. It may even be that because of Indiana Jones, my expectations at least are as they are. But... there it is.

I don't believe it. This looks like a joke to me.

Tom Holland, Prove me wrong.

Oh! Just... one more thing.

This movie has already been done. You may have already seen what I'm about to embed, but for me this FAN FILM is the BAR for what an UNCHARTED MOVIE is. And they did it in 15 on a DEFINITELY smaller budget.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 15:21 (910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Honesty, this looks like a better Uncharted movie:

Well, THAT looks fun.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 15:38 (910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 16:45 (910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So if they are after Cleopatra's eggs…

Does that make them Egg MacGuffins?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 16:47 (910 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Introduce character in trailer. 45 seconds later show their double cross.

Sigh.

At least Last of Us won't let us down right? RIGHT?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 21, 2021, 18:17 (910 days ago) @ Cody Miller

At least that seems like it was cast well.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 24, 2021, 08:59 (907 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, October 24, 2021, 09:15

At least that seems like it was cast well.

I at least feel like a limited series is more suitable for a game adaptation of it than a feature film. But at the end of the day, you're gaining the ability for real actors to perform the story, at the expense of all the storytelling opportunities games have to offer. Just on a theoretical creative level it seems like a straight up loss… as I don't know how much you actually gain emotionally with real actors over the game's performance capture and animation which were great. You're gaining very little and losing so much.

I feel like at best, it can only come within striking distance of the game. There's just no way to exceed it if they are telling the same story. I don't think it's a coincidence that the three highest rated video game movies didn't stick to any game's story.

I hope for the best!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 22, 2021, 09:31 (909 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I agree with the Wahlberg criticism--I wasn't absolutely sure he was Sully until he was referred to as such (and I generally really like MW).

To be honest, though, with the exception of Uncharted 4, I was never very invested in the world or characters or story telling. Uncharted seemed like a elevator pitch, especially the first few. Let's make Raiders/Tomb Raider and insert 80s action movie tropes and set pieces throughout. They got better and better at it (such that none of it felt like a quicktime game at the end), but it's not surprising that in 2020 Hollywood some brave risktaker (<--sarcasm) bankrolled an action movie based on a proven IP that is itself a game version of popular movies. The games are fun and should be played, and maybe this movie will be fun and should be watched, if you're not concerned with canon.

I would have preferred they made this earlier, while Nathan Fillion was younger. That fan film proved he could perfectly fill the shoes of Indiana Jones 2.0 (and he made a good Han 2.0, too).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread