The Last Week of "Go Fast" (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 15:25 (875 days ago)

[image]

1st of February, 2018.

That's the first Bungie Weekly Update I can find chatter about in what is known as "The Go Fast Update".

Quoting from BWU dated 5th of April, 2018;

Josh: Our goal with 1.1.4 was to get back to more of the Destiny 1 style of movement, especially the movement you're working with mid combat. Sprint speeds weren't changed for D2 and therefore it wasn't crazy high priority to hit those. That being said, we called it the "Go Fast" update for a reason and it was absolutely one of the potential changes to test with on our list.

I added a link to said 1.1.4 in the quote above for those of you curious.

To my recollection, that was the first really big change from the original (and indeed needed) Destiny 2 1.0, the effects of which we have felt (I'd argue) to this day in some amount.

There have been other sizeable patches much like when Destiny 2 went all "2.0" and "2.0.0.1" with Forsaken and Season of the Outlaw, but nothing I think, I recall has really changed what this game "is" so completely. And despite its pitfalls... yeah. It was fun. Highs and lows.

That all changes in a week, where "Go Fast" starts to become... "Go Build". Here is to hoping, as mentioned, that Bungie already has unknown to us something in the pipe that helps us in the swift creation and application of those builds in game.

[image]
Caption: We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Because Destiny is about to change so much that it basically reworks everything, I'm one for doing what I can to celebrate that last hurrah. I still don't have Vex Mythoclast. I figure I'm going to give Prophecy and the Exotic Weapon dungeons few goes. And even, I figure... would y'all even be up for DBO vs DBO Custom games?

I don't know... just think that with the impending changes, I'd like to do something in-clan before we have to figure out what this game is all over again.

The Last Week of "Go Fast"

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 01, 2021, 09:03 (874 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I’m eager (is that the right word? Maybe more just interested) to see how the changes play out. I just wish it and the new dungeon weren’t happening next week. Halo is going to be my priority, and the new big Warframe drop is the week after.

And then The Witch Queen drops at the same time as Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring. I love Destiny, I just wish it didn’t feel like it required so much of my time to get the full potential from it. And while I hope I’m wrong, it really seems like that’s going to get worse with the ability changes.

Conflicted about Halo

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, December 01, 2021, 09:53 (874 days ago) @ cheapLEY

On one hand, no co-op and all these other launches makes me want to hold.

On the other, I'm 100% sure the zeitgeist's on-point meme game will cross my path ASAP, so holding would make me miss some really high quality content...

Conflicted about Halo

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 09:08 (873 days ago) @ ZackDark

On one hand, no co-op and all these other launches makes me want to hold.

On the other, I'm 100% sure the zeitgeist's on-point meme game will cross my path ASAP, so holding would make me miss some really high quality content...

I have nothing to add here other then I find your motivation of "but what if I miss a meme" to be mildly hilarious.

Meme on!

Conflicted about Halo

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, December 02, 2021, 16:53 (873 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have nothing to add here other then I find your motivation of "but what if I miss a meme" to be mildly hilarious.

Meme on!

^_^

I'm brazilian, man. It's the only thing that keeps me going at this point

Waka Waka!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 20:59 (873 days ago) @ ZackDark

Meme on!

^_^

I'm brazilian, man. It's the only thing that keeps me going at this point

[image][image][image]

<3

I tried to find some memes about Brazil, 'cuz honestly, that's a right somber statement.
I don't know how good they are, but, well, joy to ya man.

Waka Waka!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, December 03, 2021, 06:30 (872 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

Called it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 20:09 (867 days ago) @ ZackDark

Already getting hit by memes. Joke's on them, though, I'm already knees-deep in the game!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 09:05 (873 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m eager (is that the right word? Maybe more just interested) to see how the changes play out. I just wish it and the new dungeon weren’t happening next week. Halo is going to be my priority, and the new big Warframe drop is the week after.

And then The Witch Queen drops at the same time as Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring. I love Destiny, I just wish it didn’t feel like it required so much of my time to get the full potential from it. And while I hope I’m wrong, it really seems like that’s going to get worse with the ability changes.

Well that's the ever continuing live game dilemma right? There is only so much time in a day, should there even be time at all for recreation/hobbies. I suppose it's kind of like our differences in vault capacity (,and this is so my brain doing what it does) in the requirements we have. I, ever seemingly forever 500, and you with your mad brilliance of "F*ck it!" and deleting everything. Now I have all this stuff to juggle, and you can just play the game. Where on the inverse, I don't have Warframe or Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring (at least not right away) on my radar, so I can manage my play time of what I play far easier then you can.

In other words, I think you know the solution to your problem, but like me in certain ways, don't want to act on the obvious solution for X reasons. Ya can't play everything brother!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 02, 2021, 10:05 (873 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I suppose it's kind of like our differences in vault capacity (,and this is so my brain doing what it does) in the requirements we have. I, ever seemingly forever 500, and you with your mad brilliance of "F*ck it!" and deleting everything.

Even my vault is growing. Ever since that armor picker site was posted, I’ve been keeping way more stuff, on the off chance it will help some theoretical build in the future. Even that sort of sucks, honestly. It’s just another example of missing out from not paying Destiny full time.

I still have mixed feelings. Destiny is a totally fun and acceptable casual experience, but that experience is so much less than what I’d like to get out of the game. It’s forever in this disappointing limbo where I want to keep playing, just not as Bungie thinks I should, and it’s a far lesser experience for that.

I’m not dumb enough to think I’ll ever quit Destiny at this point, but sometimes I really wish I could. If it wasn’t for this community, I probably would.

Ya can't play everything brother!

Watch me!

As Good A Time As Any.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, December 06, 2021, 17:54 (869 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Now I'm quoting Sonic again...

It's about time I hang Destiny 2 on the saddles. I'll be managing my flair this week(i.e. ships, sparrows and Ghosts) and I do aim to get Harbinger and/or Chosen soon, but other than that, I've gotta go.

It's not this that's the deciding factor(although ngl, this is pretty disheartening)...I've been trying to rehab myself from D2 for a very long time. This is just an ideal opportunity to do so. Complete rework of abilities and economy, double-length mercy season, next expansion around the corner (and let's face it, you know they're gonna neuter Gjallarhorn in D2 just like Truth in D1) and for the first time since I can remember, I've pretty much done everything I want to do. I don't have Eyes of Tomorrow, but I never truly desired it. And I hate Mythoclast, both games. I finished my 2nd favorite place, Tangled Shore, and to be honest since it's so old, I can't get anyone to help me with the Moon anyway, so that might be a bust!

But for me, it's the wear and tear. Destiny 2 is no longer a game to me. It's a job. I obviously don't get paid for it, but I feel like I have to hope for a reward. And really, it takes up too much of my time. I've got so much in my backlog—Games with Gold, Backwards Compats, stuff I bought on sale, achievements I wanted to earn, series I want to start or continue...and that's just on the Xbox! Forgetting about how swamped I am in real life!

I'll still play D1 of course(that's the better game), and I've got two maybe three Destiny drinks left...and I can't wait to upload all my ridiculous clips, exploits and B.S. that I've had fun with over the past four years, but I want to move on. Forward and backward. I've got games to play, movies to watch, and books to read. I need to take control of my gaming library again. And I'm starting now.

...wait, Momentum Control is tomorrow. Okay, next week. ;-)

P.S.—I still have all the cutscenes from Season of the Dawn all the way up to Ager's Scepter, if you change your mind. Other than that, I did all I could.

Much love, go with god, Salud, I'll text you later, all that jazz.

[insert emoji here]

Of all the souls I’ve encountered, yours was the most… human

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, December 06, 2021, 22:17 (869 days ago) @ Morpheus

Live long and prosper my friend.

You can’t fool me, you just want to free up time to watch the new Matrix movie on endless repeat…?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 17:12 (867 days ago) @ CougRon

You can’t fool me, you just want to free up time to watch the new Matrix movie on endless repeat…?

Haha, you know me too well! I know you're not gonna believe this—hell, even I can't myself—but to tell you the truth, I'm not really psyched to see The Matrix Resurrections. I wasn't really happy with the ending to The Matrix Revolutions, but it was finished. Things were wrapped up, loose ends were tied, and the final piston CLAAAAANGED. Y'know? Things were done.

The original Matrix is twenty-two years old. The sequels are 18. I doubt I'm the only person in the world who loved the sequels, but it certainly feels like it. There are people out there who were(are? I dunno) petitioning to have the two removed. The Matrix Universe was expansive, comprehensive, and one of the most fulfilling experiences that a fan could ask for. Three movies, incredibly detailed BTS assets of all three, an anime collection that at the time was revolutionary, comics, multiple games(of admittedly...controversial quality), music, mythos, lore, tie-ins(I STILL want that Matrix phone) and piles of accolades as one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history.

The fact that they're bringing this up again after two decades boils down to one thing: money.

I just know that this is another short ride on the remake train(even though this is technically a sequel). And it was full of red flags from the faintest whiff:

• Twenty years later(meaning only Gen X'rs will have any clue what the hell is going on)
  • Starring only the dead people
  • Only one Wachowski
  • Pretty much everyone else has moved on
  • Neil...Patrick...Harris.
  • in fact, even the name—Resurrections—has that unsettling pit of desperation scent.

I wish them the best (seriously, the craziest thing about all this is how Carrie-Ann Moss still looks THAT. DAMN. GOOD. a quarter of a century later) but honestly I doubt I'll be watching this one. Certainly won't be shaving my head again, lol

I will admit though, hearing that Don Davis™ string swell again sends a shiver of pleasure down my spine. Felt real good. ;-)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 19:58 (867 days ago) @ Morpheus

The latest trailer definitely makes it seem like something deliberately repetitive is going on.lots of call backs. In the trailer they have scenes that are word for word remakes of original scenes, they even show them side by side. So who knows. I remember the original was awe inspiring to me, I think it’s the first movie I saw over and over again in the theater. This new one I probably won’t see in the theater but I’ll likely still check it out right away.

“I still know Kung-Fu”

Now THIS...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, December 09, 2021, 18:22 (866 days ago) @ CougRon

I'll be first in line for.

Yes.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, December 10, 2021, 04:57 (866 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

As Good A Time As Any.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, December 07, 2021, 14:49 (868 days ago) @ Morpheus

I had fun the last couple of times we played. Take care!

As Good A Time As Any.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 17:32 (867 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I had fun the last couple of times we played. Take care!

I may get back on every once in a while, but thanks for the well wishes regardless! You were always a blast to play with. And it may have been almost a decade ago, but those days when you and Rellekh always linked us all up together to absolutely decimate Court of Oryx—AND Archon's Forge!—were the most fun I've ever had.

I'll never forget it.

They Keep Pulling Me Back In.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, December 12, 2021, 10:01 (863 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think I’m with you.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 07:14 (867 days ago) @ Morpheus

After playing the new anniversary activity, I think I’m with you.

I don’t want to be a downer, but last night was the sudden realization that Destiny largely isn’t a game I want to play any more. The new activity is . . . it’s fine. It’s just like every other seasonal activity in Destiny, which means it’s mindless shooting with absolutely no sense of urgency or agency, there is no fail state, no challenge, no point in even engaging. And that’s before we get to the writing, which is fucking atrocious. It’s seriously fucking awful. It’s like try hard Borderlands. Was this written by an eleven year old? The fact that a grown ass adult wrote this, thought it was good, and put it into a video game makes me question everything I like about the story and presentation of Destiny.

I was grinding out Strange Coins to get horse bounties so I could start the Forerunner quest . . . after my fifth run I had the epiphany that I was having zero fun and was fantasizing about playing Warframe instead. I was doing an activity I actively disliked in order to get a gun just so that I would have it. What the fuck am I doing? And that’s the experience I’ve had every season while working through the seasonal activities.

I already bought Witch Queen, and I’ll play it, but I think I’m done with the Destiny day to day. Maybe I’ll play the big expansion every year and call it there.

I think I’m with you.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 09:58 (867 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And that’s before we get to the writing, which is fucking atrocious. It’s seriously fucking awful. It’s like try hard Borderlands. Was this written by an eleven year old? The fact that a grown ass adult wrote this, thought it was good, and put it into a video game makes me question everything I like about the story and presentation of Destiny.

I thought it was funny, but maybe that's not the best endorsement.

I was grinding out Strange Coins to get horse bounties so I could start the Forerunner quest . . . after my fifth run I had the epiphany that I was having zero fun and was fantasizing about playing Warframe instead. I was doing an activity I actively disliked in order to get a gun just so that I would have it. What the fuck am I doing? And that’s the experience I’ve had every season while working through the seasonal activities.

I agree we are forced to overplay the seasonal activities. I personally really make an effort to avoid grinding single activities for too long - it truly makes you hate things. This of course sometimes delays receiving the loot you are coveting.

I already bought Witch Queen, and I’ll play it, but I think I’m done with the Destiny day to day. Maybe I’ll play the big expansion every year and call it there.

Did you get the Dungeon? I'd recommend it, our blind run was really fun last night.

I think I’m with you.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 10:14 (867 days ago) @ squidnh3

Did you get the Dungeon? I'd recommend it, our blind run was really fun last night.

It was worth the price of admission just to watch Korny suffer.

This expansion or whatever you want to call it is definitely going for the lighthearted approach. It makes me think the Witch Queen is going to swing way the other way.

I think I’m with you.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 12:09 (867 days ago) @ squidnh3

No, I haven’t, and I should. Dungeons have been the best part of Destiny since they were introduced.

But playing last night, especially after not playing regularly for like a month now, just broke me on the loop of Destiny to the point of not even caring about doing the Dungeon. I want Forerunner, but these seasonal activities are so completely devoid of fun, I can’t stomach doing them anymore, and then being locked out of a cool gun because I don’t engage. As Bungie leans into the seasonal model, which does have a lot going for it, I want to play less and less, but they game is more and more designed around coming back every single week. I’m just not interested anymore.

That’s not bashing the game. It works for them, and for someone who only plays Destiny, I think it’s probably fine. I want to do other shit too, and Destiny just isn’t interested in allowing that to happen in any real way. It’s a bummer, but it’s difficult to be too upset when it really just means I can play more Apex or Warframe or Halo or whatever Sony first party game is next without Destiny hovering in the back of my mind.

Instead of logging on to Destiny tonight to do more bullshit bounties, I’m going to play a brand new Halo campaign. And then next week, instead of grinding out a few more Pinnacles, I’ll play the big new Warframe quest. And then when those are done, maybe I’ll get back to Red Dead Redemption 2, or play more Risk of Rain 2 with stabbim. Destiny has never preventing me from doing those things, but doing those other things has always left me worse off in Destiny, and wanting to do those things has always prevented me from leveling enough to do a GM Nightfall.

These is well-tread territory now, so I’ll stop. I just hope The Witch Queen is good and feels worth playing on its own, without it necessarily having to fit into the week to week mode of Destiny play.

I think I’m with you.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 12:55 (867 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hear you about the repetitiveness of the seasonal model. If this last season had only been about returning to the shattered realm once a week and I never had to touch the other half, I would have been so much happier with it. Same goes with the splicer season. If we just had the fun puzzle platformer and never had the shoot things while "building" this other thing part, I would have loved it. It's always just one too many ingredients, and the 6-person-shoot-things-mindlessly part is always the tedious one for me.

Same but Differently

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 13:07 (867 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 13:13

After playing the new anniversary activity, I think I’m with you.

I don’t want to be a downer, but last night was the sudden realization that Destiny largely isn’t a game I want to play any more. The new activity is . . . it’s fine. It’s just like every other seasonal activity in Destiny, which means it’s mindless shooting with absolutely no sense of urgency or agency, there is no fail state, no challenge, no point in even engaging. And that’s before we get to the writing, which is fucking atrocious. It’s seriously fucking awful. It’s like try hard Borderlands. Was this written by an eleven year old? The fact that a grown ass adult wrote this, thought it was good, and put it into a video game makes me question everything I like about the story and presentation of Destiny.

Lots of thoughts are still in the air, as I really only got to scratch the surface yesterday.

It's far too early to say, but I have this one part of me that thinks that the game is now far less fun. That "Go Fast" was Destiny for me despite the flaws, and now it's gone. It's far too early to say. I too went all in with Witch Queen, so hey, there it is... but... I don't know. Suddenly what was a sure thing is now so much less sure. I just, I just look at how long the base time for Supers are now, and despite all the different ways you can use to reduce that time, it makes my heart sink a little. It's like (or in fact, as this is probably an apt description now), the power fantasy is now burdened with new terms and conditions. On the surface it's a real kill joy for me. Burdened upon the experiences of which I knew that before was so (and indeed too much so at times) effortless.

It's far too early to say. Plus, to me the real telling tale will be the coming patch notes. How stock is my initial feel, if it is correct at all? I need to play some of the baseline activities so that I can get a real feel of how things are with out the boosts and perks certain activities have. I have no idea what PvP is going to be like.

The New Seasonal is... well, like all the seasonals frankly. Best consumed at pace. Don't grind. It is a "something to do", a mindless run around of slaughter. Sometimes it's nice, but it's really only surface deep. It's something you play for hijinks.

Then we 180, and I get to tell you about how I (just to see how far I could go) lone wolfed some of the Grasp of Avarice Dungeon. Didn't finish, but only because I ran out of real world time. Still have a checkpoint. Even so, even with the little I saw, this might be my favorite Dungeon. This is why I play Destiny. AAA content. Atmosphere, Mechanics, and all the story telling you can say with such. It's a three man raid and I am all here for it.

Same but Differently

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 13:51 (867 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I honestly didn’t even notice a difference in ability generation, but I only played the new thing that had all the power ups scattered about, so I guess that doesn’t actually mean anything.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread