Microsoft acquires Activision Blizzard. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 07:07 (823 days ago)
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 07:57

Yes. You read that correctly. I did a double take too. Lots of folks are blessing shi-et today with this news.

"Welcoming the Incredible Teams and Legendary Franchises of Activision Blizzard to Microsoft Gaming" is the official announcement to this action. Not only is this Industry-shaking, but... well. It's Activision Blizzard, whose social reputation is, at this point, not requiring any more utterance. I'm not sure what to think.

Side Note: Right now Bungie is like, *whew*, not THIS time Microsoft. :P

Edit:

[image]

...and of course, since this is a Destiny Bungie forum...

I said “woah.”

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 07:42 (823 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

I think you mean "WoW"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 08:10 (823 days ago) @ CougRon
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 08:17

So think about how big this is.

For a game like Destiny, there were only 5 publishers who would have been able to publish the game because it was so big:

Microsoft
Sony
Nintendo
EA
Activision

Now that Microsoft owns Activision, the list of major publishers has decreased by 20%. That's huge.

I'm getting nervous about how gamepass is going to negatively affect the industry with such a potential selection of exclusives now. Get ready to never own anything anymore.

I think you mean "WoW"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 10:25 (822 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm getting nervous about how gamepass is going to negatively affect the industry with such a potential selection of exclusives now. Get ready to never own anything anymore.

I can't wait! With single-player games charging $70-$80 for "ownership", I'd say Gamepass obliterating the ownership market can't happen soon enough. Especially with so many games being live service or Multiplayer only, I think it's high time we shift to a model where we pay essentially two new games worth for a full year of access to hundreds of titles, first-party and otherwise.

Gamepass really is the best thing to happen to the games model in ages.

I think you mean "WoW"

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 10:49 (822 days ago) @ Korny

Game Pass fucking rules.

Everyone is just bitching that Bobby K is getting a big pay day. Like, fine. He was always going to get a big pay day. At least this way, maybe he fucks off and MS can clean house and the base line folks that work there can see actual improvements. I’m less concerned with punishing Bobby Kotick and his ilk than I am in actually seeing the working conditions improve for the employees. Give him his fucking parachute and let him leave. Of course there’s no guarantee anything will improve, but I have more hope for that now than I did yesterday.

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 17:16 (822 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

I think you mean "WoW"

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 13:43 (822 days ago) @ Korny

Especially with so many games being live service or Multiplayer only,

The only place where it makes sense :-p

Oracle? Great Journey?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 17:15 (822 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Get ready to never own anything anymore.

Get... ready? Cody, the perpetual license train by-and-large left the station almost a decade ago. It's not get ready, it's here. It's now. And it's not going away. But since you're new here, uh... I guess, Welcome to the Service Economy! Where we service ourselves by servicing you!

Well, unless it's an NFT. Those you TOTALLY own. Like for realzees.

Microsoft acquires Activision Blizzard.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 07:58 (823 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

They spend 68.7 Billion, and all they had to do to get me to buy an xbox was stop putting ads in the interface.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 08:00 (823 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They spend 68.7 Billion, and all they had to do to get me to buy an xbox was stop putting ads in the interface.

https://pi-hole.net/ (SFW)

by squidnh3, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 08:50 (823 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Damn those ADS!

(Every time you post about ads it makes me laugh about that thread)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 09:06 (822 days ago) @ squidnh3

Damn those ADS!

Man I was a dummy eh?

by squidnh3, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 09:12 (822 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Man I was a dummy eh?

To be fair, there are 3 different meanings of "ads" when it comes to gaming.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 17:19 (822 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Damn those ADS!

Man I was a dummy eh?

If we're doing it right, looking back, we all are.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 17:00 (822 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You own a PS5. It’s got ads on the dashboard.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 23:31 (822 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You own a PS5. It’s got ads on the dashboard.

Oh no.

That fucking 'explore' tab. At first it looked like just a thing to give you info about your recent games… but a closer look reveals… tiny ads (in this case for a controller). You can't move it like you could with PS4 icons.

I can't unsee. Motherfucker.

I'm going to find every last sony ad server and block them from my router. Scorch earth this shit. I hate they got my money. Can only mitigate now.

Sony's response "For me, it was tuesday"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, January 19, 2022, 06:25 (822 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread