Sony bought Bungie for $3.6 billion (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:13 (809 days ago)

Sony bought Bungie for $3.6 billion

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:21 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

cringe

remember the plan for world domination? guess that shits gone just like the webmaster and ling ling's head

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:25 (809 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

This brand of cynicism is just as predictable today as it was 22 years ago.

I want to believe this:

Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.​

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 31, 2022, 14:35 (809 days ago) @ Kermit

This brand of cynicism is just as predictable today as it was 22 years ago.

I want to believe this:

Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.​

And with noted champion of Cross-platform gaming Sony in charge, why wouldn't you?

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, January 31, 2022, 16:48 (809 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

cringe

remember the plan for world domination? guess that shits gone just like the webmaster and ling ling's head

Hold it right there... what the hell happened to the Webmaster and Ling-Ling's head?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 17:09 (809 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Hold it right there... what the hell happened to the Webmaster and Ling-Ling's head?

Well, the webmaster went on to work for Wideload, and now works at Certain Affinity. No clue about Ling Ling…

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 31, 2022, 17:15 (809 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, the webmaster went on to work for Wideload, and now works at Certain Affinity. No clue about Ling Ling…

Probably in a jar somewhere. ;P

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, February 01, 2022, 04:59 (809 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Probably in a jar somewhere. ;P

Did somebody finally eat sofish?

:o

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:22 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

lol

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:23 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:23 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50988

Playstation exclusive strikes are BAAAACCCCCKKKKK

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:08 (809 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Haha, hopefully their "same game, everywhere" line means that won't happen.

Now that we have crossplay I assume any new console exclusives (strikes, items, whatever) would be a massive headache to implement. Instead, I expect we'll see preferential treatment happen outside of the game systems, like Destiny showing up free on a Playstation equivalent of GamePass.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:15 (809 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan
edited by cheapLEY, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:20

Haha, hopefully their "same game, everywhere" line means that won't happen.

I won’t hold my breath.

Their FAQ says “Witch Queen won’t have PS exclusives.” They don’t really elaborate beyond that.

We’re long past the point where I think any statement made by Bungie is in good faith.

by squidnh3, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:43 (809 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Their FAQ says “Witch Queen won’t have PS exclusives.” They don’t really elaborate beyond that.

I think it would be a pretty strong bet we'll be seeing exclusive armor sets and other cosmetics post-Witch Queen. Exclusives like strikes and PvP maps seem less likely to me, given the problems those caused in D1 (the PS strikes couldn't be Nightfalls, exclusive maps can't be Trials maps, etc.).

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 31, 2022, 14:37 (809 days ago) @ squidnh3

I'm not saying I disagree with your prediction, but they already have those problems, and "solutions" for them built into the tree-to-play model.

by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 16:46 (809 days ago) @ Vortech

I think there may be exclusive cosmetics that display in cross-platform play, but are only available on PlayStation consoles.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 04, 2022, 13:02 (805 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I think there may be exclusive cosmetics that display in cross-platform play, but are only available on PlayStation consoles.

I seem to recall at one time they had some difficulty pulling that off for cross-saves. It's what enabled me to have an invisible ship on Xbox.

What happened?

by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:24 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

After Bungie fought so hard to become independent from Microsoft in 2007 and subsequently partnered with Activision in a deal structured to retain their ownership and control of the Destiny IP, this seems kind of strange.

Sony is a good fit for them, though, and I have high hopes that this will support the long-term development of the Destiny franchise.

Don't try to uninstall Destiny 2 from your console.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:26 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

- No text -

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Monday, January 31, 2022, 14:46 (809 days ago) @ CyberKN

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 15:08 (809 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

Expecting this? :)

Hey, as long as the game isn't installed on the root level of the hard drive, you're fine!

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Monday, January 31, 2022, 21:55 (809 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is that how it happened? Yikes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 21:58 (809 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

Is that how it happened? Yikes.

Yeah.

Basically, the uninstaller would simply delete the directory the game was in. If you did a normal install, it was in its own directory, so just the game and game files were deleted. But if you installed it on the root level of your hard drive? Well, it would delete that directory, which contains every file on your computer…

One theory: an arms race

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:28 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I’ve also had some questions about Bungie’s business model.

by ncsuDuncan @, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:01 (809 days ago) @ Kermit

This was my immediate reaction, i.e. a hostage for Sony to make sure Call of Duty stays multiplatform after Microsoft bought Activision. That felt a bit cynical, but the game industry is wild these days.

I didn't think Bungie would be up for sale after making such a big deal about going independent, and I assumed they were doing fine financially. I guess the studio has big ideas that need bigger funding, and it sounds like the buyout has specific assurances of creative freedom.

Maybe in another 20 years Nintendo will get their turn.

“It’s-a me, Jason Jones!”

by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:55 (809 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

by FyreWulff, Monday, January 31, 2022, 22:42 (809 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

This was my immediate reaction, i.e. a hostage for Sony to make sure Call of Duty stays multiplatform after Microsoft bought Activision. That felt a bit cynical, but the game industry is wild these days.

I didn't think Bungie would be up for sale after making such a big deal about going independent, and I assumed they were doing fine financially. I guess the studio has big ideas that need bigger funding, and it sounds like the buyout has specific assurances of creative freedom.

Maybe in another 20 years Nintendo will get their turn.

Wouldn't be surprised..

Sidenote: Nintendo's target has and always well be Namco. They actually attempted to acquire them before but Japan's government blocked them from finalizing the deal, so they were only allowed to acquire Monolith as a consolation prize. Bandai was allowed to merge later with Namco.

Multi Media

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:29 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

After Bungie fought so hard to become independent from Microsoft in 2007 and subsequently partnered with Activision in a deal structured to retain their ownership and control of the Destiny IP, this seems kind of strange.

Sony is a good fit for them, though, and I have high hopes that this will support the long-term development of the Destiny franchise.

I am guessing this could be about reaching out into other media.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50109

People from the media industry joining on the board… I wonder if this isn't a way for Sony to help make Bungie's IP into TV and movies. There seems to be a mini renaissance of that lately, and even a few adaptations recently that have managed to be good.

What happened?

by FyreWulff, Monday, January 31, 2022, 22:46 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Real talk: the primary shareholders of Bungie are all getting up there in age and probably wanted to cash out their share while they can still enjoy the money.

As far as I can tell, this deal, as a side effect, likely finally removes Marty from Bungie legally as his share would have been bought out in such a deal.

what's interesting is there's no mention if NetEase's share has been bought out, and it almost sounds like Sony didn't buy out NetEase's share/board position.

re: Destiny 2

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:54 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

So what’s in it for Sony?

by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:58 (809 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

So what’s in it for Sony?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:56 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Clearly SOMETHING, because they paid 3.58 billion more for Bungie than MS did :-p

Access

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:08 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Sony is much larger than just video games. If they have access to the Destiny IP, they could develop tv shows, movies, yada yada yada.

Plus, again, having Destiny on their playstation game pass.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:39 (809 days ago) @ kidtsunami

All of these bullet points specify Destiny only. What it means for future IP, nobody has said.

by Avateur @, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:56 (809 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives? ​
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. ​

by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 13:39 (809 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 13:43

It sounds like Sony is in this for two major reasons:

1. Bungie’s expertise as a live-service games developer, and
2. The trans-media potential of the Destiny franchise.

I genuinely believe that they want to keep Bungie multi-platform for the foreseeable future. This doesn't feel like a PlayStation move; it’s a “we want to get in on the revenue stream from live services without having to build a brand-new system from the ground up” move.

A Timeline:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, January 31, 2022, 10:56 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

• May 1991 - Bungie is founded.
  • June 2000 - Bungie announces it has been acquired by Microsoft.
  • October 2007 - Bungie announces that it has split from Microsoft to become independent.
  • April 2010 - Bungie announces a 10-year publishing partnership with Activision.
  • January 2019 - Bungie announces that the Activision partnership has been mutually terminated, with all Destiny-related publishing rights transferring back to Bungie.
  • January 2022 - Microsoft announces a successful bid to acquire Activision.
  • January 2022 (continued) - Bungie announces it has been acquired by Sony (SIE).

• ??? - Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.

A Timeline:

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:09 (809 days ago) @ CyberKN

• May 1991 - Bungie is founded.
  • June 2000 - Bungie announces it has been acquired by Microsoft.
  • October 2007 - Bungie announces that it has split from Microsoft to become independent.
  • April 2010 - Bungie announces a 10-year publishing partnership with Activision.
  • January 2019 - Bungie announces that the Activision partnership has been mutually terminated, with all Destiny-related publishing rights transferring back to Bungie.
  • January 2022 - Microsoft announces a successful bid to acquire Activision.
  • January 2022 (continued) - Bungie announces it has been acquired by Sony (SIE).

• ??? - Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth.

I was about to post this exact same thing.

You forgot to mention when Destiny was removed from MS Game Pass. It's probably all related.

It seems generally around the industry that "no more exclusives" has become a thing. And while this can still be true, technically...each console can have it's exclusives. All games can be purchased for each console, but some can be exclusive to a streaming platform...like Game Pass. I don't have a PS so I'm not sure what all they offer in this regard...but just watch Feb 22, when Witch Queen is available as part of some plan exclusive to Playstation.

A Timeline:

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 31, 2022, 14:40 (809 days ago) @ CyberKN

Also, the NetEase thing…

[̲̅$̲̅(ツ)$̲̅]

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, January 31, 2022, 11:00 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by bluvasa, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:21 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

Saw the news and had to come here to see the reactions from the grizzled ancients. As an xbox-lifer, I'm a little saddened. But hopefully, they will stick to multiplatform long enough for Destiny 3. Does anyone know how Marty made out with this deal? Hopefully, he still had his founder's shares after the recent legal troubles.

by bluvasa, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:38 (809 days ago) @ bluvasa

Also, with Microsoft's recent buying spree, geographic proximity, and their historic relationship with Bungie, I'm sure MS must have recently approached Bungie about buying them. I guess that means Bungie really didn't want to go back to MS (even with the cultural changes that Phil Spencer has describe) and/or Sony wrote them a blank check.

So did anything ever come out of NetEase’s big investment?

by Coaxkez, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:46 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Nothing so far, no.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, January 31, 2022, 12:49 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I assume it helped fund work on both D2 as well as whatever new IPs they're working on.

So did anything ever come out of NetEase’s big investment?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, January 31, 2022, 13:00 (809 days ago) @ Coaxkez

This image.

[image]

My jaw. The floor. I da... how do... words?! WORDS!!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 31, 2022, 16:22 (809 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Oh K. Did word read. Now make word.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 31, 2022, 16:57 (809 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

More about Sony & Bungie.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 31, 2022, 17:55 (809 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I would like to note, I do see the disconcerting flexibility in the wording of their announcements.

Q. Will Destiny 2: The Witch Queen include any platform exclusives? ​
No. The Witch Queen will not contain any platform exclusives. Every player should have an amazing Destiny experience, no matter where you choose to play ​

So, the others will? Eh. Not sure how all this will play out with cross play a thing. Whatever. I'm not going to waste more time speculating intent. Instead, here are some interesting reads...

In this one here is mostly the same announcement, short of one thing I'd not seen...

After the deal closes, Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio's current management team.

So that's interesting. Then there is this "interview"(?) with Sony Interactive Entertainment head Jim Ryan and Pete Parsons.

It's not the most organic interview, all sorts of jargon and robot corp speak. It honesty reads more like a official joint statement to shareholders then any real human interview, but the declarences are there.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

Meanwhile on the Bungie side, Pete Parsons tells GamesIndustry.biz that Sony offers the ability to accelerate its own plans, which includes the prospect of taking its IP to new entertainment mediums, such as TV and film.

"Back in 2016, we set out a vision for ourselves to create worlds and inspire friendships. We wanted to become one of the world's great entertainment companies. And more than that, become a center of creative and technical excellence, so that no matter who you are, where you're from, how you identify, you can feel like you can come to Bungie and do your best work.

So there. That's some answers.

WaPo has quotes from employees

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, February 01, 2022, 14:51 (808 days ago) @ Avateur

Non-Apple News link

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Tuesday, February 01, 2022, 18:50 (808 days ago) @ Vortech

So has Sony Legal come after Bungie.org yet?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 01, 2022, 17:45 (808 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Sony wants Bungie to help it launch live service games.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 09:04 (808 days ago) @ Avateur

Here is what Sony gets. "Sony wants Bungie to help it launch 10 live service games by 2026".

"Though close collaboration between Bungie and PlayStation Studios we aim to launch more than 10 live service games by the fiscal year ending March 31, 2026," explained Sony during a recent earnings webcast.

"Through this acquisition we intend to acquire new users and increase engagement on platforms other than PlayStation, which will enable us to significantly advance our long-term growth strategy for further expanding the ecosystem of our game business."

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 09:14 (808 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

10 live services games in four years. Yeah, good luck.

Yeah, that timeing goal is... something. Sounds like crunch.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 11:28 (807 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 11:36 (807 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Even with Bungie ostensibly only consulting on these games, that’s a lot to expect from them when they have their own
shit to work on.

But, ignoring that, what are those games and who’s making them? And how long have they been in development? Four years doesn’t seem enough time to start a brand new live game and then ship it. Especially if you want to to be something that has a chance to catch on.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 11:59 (807 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm not saying I know how it will be, but it may be a mistake to assume all of these 10 games are intended to have the scale of Destiny 1/2. I mean, technically, Wordle is a "live game".

Scope.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 12:37 (807 days ago) @ Vortech

I'm not saying I know how it will be, but it may be a mistake to assume all of these 10 games are intended to have the scale of Destiny 1/2. I mean, technically, Wordle is a "live game".

Well, Sony is lacking a portfolio in the mobile space. I tend to think of Sony as purely AAAA Single Player, and was thinking all this an attempt to get into Xbox territory by adding some multiplayer with help from the folks who basically helped start it off for Xbox. A real Quid Pro Quo. ... I think your take makes alot more sense. "Technically, Wordle is a 'live game'". 10 games in 4 years like that, that seems plausible to me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 10:59 (807 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 12:00 (807 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Ahh, there it is. There’s the corporate bullshit. I’d been waiting for a shred of information about why Sony did this.

Aerospace launches again?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, February 02, 2022, 12:20 (807 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Ahh, there it is. There’s the corporate bullshit. I’d been waiting for a shred of information about why Sony did this.

This all sounds so familiar…

https://bungie.fandom.com/wiki/Bungie_Aerospace

Discussion by a bunch of old people

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 09:48 (806 days ago) @ Avateur

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 10:36 (806 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by cheapLEY, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 10:46

How come I never get invited to these things? You act like it would be unpleasant to listen to someone shit on Destiny and Bungie for an hour. (:

Good to see Funkmon’s still alive.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 10:45 (806 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How come I never get invited to these things? You act like it would be unpleasant to listen to someone shit Destiny and Bungie for an hour. (:

I wasn't either. Want to do our own, with blackjack and hookers?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 11:01 (806 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How come I never get invited to these things? You act like it would be unpleasant to listen to someone shit Destiny and Bungie for an hour. (:

We can all do it in a discord call while we heckle watch people doing the new raid blind, "Statler and Waldorf" style.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 11:05 (806 days ago) @ CyberKN

We can all do it in a discord call while we heckle watch people doing the new raid blind, "Statler and Waldorf" style.

I'm an elder millennial. I don't have discord and think it's killing the searchability of the internet by replacing forums. How about Skype :-p

I'm not picky.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 11:09 (806 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I'm not picky.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 11:45 (806 days ago) @ CyberKN

Nah whatever. I can do anything. Just tell me when and where to show up.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 11:14 (806 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm an elder millennial.

Well that explains why you're trying to ruin everything Cody. :P

IS THIS SHIT SEARCHABLE‽!?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 21:19 (806 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I think this team is Exotic level.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 21:21 (806 days ago) @ CyberKN

You do?

Yeah! The're Terrabah!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 11:01 (806 days ago) @ cheapLEY

How come I never get invited to these things? You act like it would be unpleasant to listen to someone shit on Destiny and Bungie for an hour. (:

:P

AHHHHHH! Faces! IT BURNS!

Funkmon not only looks as I imagined, but man... that face. That is a quality I-could-eat-a-sock-right-now face.

/:P

All those names are ringing a bell, except for Jeyl. Don't think I've come across that one. Or at least not recently.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, February 06, 2022, 07:04 (804 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

:P

AHHHHHH! Faces! IT BURNS!

Funkmon not only looks as I imagined, but man... that face. That is a quality I-could-eat-a-sock-right-now face.

/:P

All those names are ringing a bell, except for Jeyl. Don't think I've come across that one. Or at least not recently.

Jeyl's a relative newbie on the squad, he's a regular in our Discord channel and is participating in our 4-player co-op run of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 12:17 (806 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You gotta ask Narc. I just showed up, I didn't have anything to do with the guest list.

Still alive, still trolling. The best things never change.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, February 06, 2022, 07:02 (804 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Send me an email, always looking for guests!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, February 06, 2022, 13:58 (803 days ago) @ narcogen

Thanks for the offer, but I was really just giving Claude a hard time. I would not be a good podcast guest. I’m not very articulate and far too sweary.

Bad link, better one here.

by Miguel Chavez, Friday, February 04, 2022, 08:46 (806 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I prefer this one.

[image]

(oh yah, keep clicking, ya maroon)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 04, 2022, 10:05 (805 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I prefer this one.

[image]

I gotta add a security cert to bs - because Chrome won't show you embedded http links on an https page. :(

by Miguel Chavez, Friday, February 04, 2022, 11:22 (805 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I prefer this one.

[image]

I gotta add a security cert to bs - because Chrome won't show you embedded http links on an https page. :(

Your honey do list just keeps growing, don’it? (twss)

While you’re at it, make this forum tablet/mobile responsive- get off your lazy ass and DO something.

???

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 04, 2022, 11:29 (805 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

- No text -

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 06, 2022, 14:49 (803 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

How small is your tablet? iPad is how I am on the forum most and it's fine? Phone can be tough, though.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 04, 2022, 12:58 (805 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How come I never get invited to these things? You act like it would be unpleasant to listen to someone make excuses for Destiny and Bungie for an hour. (:

see answer to Cheapley

by Claude Errera @, Friday, February 04, 2022, 12:59 (805 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

see answer to Cheapley

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 04, 2022, 13:07 (805 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I know, I know. I HAVE appeared on rampancy on occasion. And there was room for another talking head. ;-)

It WAS good seeing Funk. I'll post more once I've finished watching.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, February 06, 2022, 07:07 (804 days ago) @ Kermit

How come I never get invited to these things? You act like it would be unpleasant to listen to someone make excuses for Destiny and Bungie for an hour. (:

I'll put you down for whenever the update is-- part of the problem was that our videoconference system could only sustain 4 guests plus me, and we did some workarounds to expand it, but now I've expanded to 8 guests plus me for a total of 9-- but honestly it's hard to make an attractive layout for more than just 8.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, February 07, 2022, 12:07 (802 days ago) @ narcogen

I'll put you down for whenever the update is-- part of the problem was that our videoconference system could only sustain 4 guests plus me, and we did some workarounds to expand it, but now I've expanded to 8 guests plus me for a total of 9-- but honestly it's hard to make an attractive layout for more than just 8.

I was riffing on Cheapley's ribbing, but I would have enjoyed it hanging out with you guys. You all surely are better informed than me but that's never stopped me from having an opinion.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 07, 2022, 08:52 (803 days ago) @ Kermit

Same lol

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, February 07, 2022, 06:27 (803 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Is this available as a podcast or audio file somewhere?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 07, 2022, 07:58 (803 days ago) @ ManKitten

It's not but I could make one if there's interest.

I could probably even put it into the old Anger Sadness & Envy podcast RSS feed. Not sure if anyone still uses those.

MP3 version

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 07, 2022, 08:57 (803 days ago) @ narcogen

I could probably even put it into the old Anger Sadness & Envy podcast RSS feed. Not sure if anyone still uses those.

For those who want an audio-only version:

https://rampancy.net/sony-acquires-bungie-mp3

Direct link to the file:

https://rampancy.net/sites/rampancy.net/files/Sony%20Acquires%20Bungie%20-%2002-02-2022_0.mp3

MP3 version

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 07, 2022, 10:14 (802 days ago) @ narcogen

Direct link to the file:

https://rampancy.net/sites/rampancy.net/files/Sony%20Acquires%20Bungie%20-%2002-02-2022_0.mp3

Would it be cool if I run that through auto transcription and post the text? I can if you want.

MP3 version

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 07, 2022, 12:37 (802 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Direct link to the file:

Would it be cool if I run that through auto transcription and post the text? I can if you want.

Sure?

I think it's possible to just download that as a file from the YouTube version as well. Perhaps your version will be better.

MP3 version

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 07, 2022, 12:46 (802 days ago) @ narcogen

Sure?

I think it's possible to just download that as a file from the YouTube version as well. Perhaps your version will be better.

Oh lol. I forgot it has auto captions. I'll send it to you and you can see which is better.

AI magic

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 07, 2022, 16:25 (802 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, February 07, 2022, 16:31

See if this is better than what youtube makes.

https://bombingtheuniverse.net/text/Rampancy.txt

Hope nobody on that lives in Illinois, or I just broke the law.

AI magic

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 07, 2022, 17:20 (802 days ago) @ Cody Miller

See if this is better than what youtube makes.

https://bombingtheuniverse.net/text/Rampancy.txt

Hope nobody on that lives in Illinois, or I just broke the law.

Not as far as I know.

That did a much better job than YouTube, I'm going to clean it up and repost it tomorrow.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, February 07, 2022, 09:14 (803 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm currently downloading the mp3, thanks! I had originally checked the podcast feed and didn't see it.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 07, 2022, 12:38 (802 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm currently downloading the mp3, thanks! I had originally checked the podcast feed and didn't see it.

It's possible the version at Apple has been pruned for inactivity, or that the RSS output has been broken by an update.

Extensive post on reddit about this.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, February 03, 2022, 10:47 (806 days ago) @ Avateur

Link to full post here.

...And because for some reason if feel I should... here is the whole quoted post (sans any quote formatting) below the dashed lines. Again, I didn't make this (not long enough ;P). I'm simply the messenger.

Since we can here, I've also embedded the mentioned CoolGuy Video here as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...it just so happens CoolGuy JUST posted a video going over these EXACT realizations 50 minutes ago. I was waiting to post mine after the megathread had ended, but oh well. Just let it be known I'm not copying him, lol.

So here's my own summarized findings as well, but me and Coolguy basically come to the same conclusion. Sony's in it for the Bungie tech, and Bungie's in it for the multimedia potential. It's a win-win on both sides. Now, here's my original post.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________
First things first, the sources for this are just words on paper. Unless it was explicitly written into the contract itself and made a legal stipulation, Sony could adjust this deal at any time. They do own Bungie. So if you've already made up your mind and firmly believe Sony will just faithlessly steamroll over Bungie, then move on. This post isn't for you. No one can tell what the future holds.

But just remember, in order to get Bungie to sign at that very time, they had to agree Bungie will retain entire and exclusive creative and distributive control for their games and studio. That's a fact.

Now, onto the meat itself.

As described by the lawyer in his 40 minute legal dissection, this is a "one of a kind deal" and "PlayStation's riskiest bet yet". This video analysis can be viewed at your own leisure (and I highly recommend it!), but a synapsis will be provided below.

A TL;DR will also be provided...
The essence of the video is that Sony is betting big, and letting Bungie hold the reigns. The video is split into three parts. He first breaks down the official press release, which by law, both parties agreed upon. This is the news that investors receive so that they know why their company has made certain decisions.

You can read this press release here.

He then goes into detail on Bungie's official blog release (the one we saw) and then their FAQ (the one that everyone's been dissecting). He makes no note of any "shady wording" within the FAQ, because it is the press release that holds all the weight.

The story here is that Sony is taking a huge bet by completely surrendering all creative control to Bungie. As a lawyer with over 600 episodes of legal dissection, "I don't know if I've ever seen a purchase that says, after we're done buying you, you get to operate independently and maintain your own, unilateral ability, to self-publish your content and decide what markets you are selling into." Now of course, at the end of the day (assuming there isn't a contract problem with this) Sony could change how things operate, but in order to get Bungie to sign on the dotted line, Sony had to promise them full and final creative authority around how they operate.

This is a giant bet for Sony. Sony is betting, hoping, and trusting that Bungie will continue the franchise in a positive direction, and in exchange, they get the profits, and they get Bungie's knowledge and expertise when they need it...for whatever Sony may want.

To reiterate, Bungie had the leverage to make Sony surrender all creative, distributive, and publishing rights, so they are completely independent in all things that happen inside and outside the game. Sony can suggest things. They can listen in on the boardroom meetings. But at the end of the day, Bungie gets the final say.

• So what is Sony actually buying, as it stands now, for that $3.4 Billion?

"Access to their industry knowhow and control of the profit distribution and revenue streams. And that's it."

• Why does Sony want access to Bungie?

"For their world-class approach to the live game services and technological expertise."

• And what does Sony have that made Bungie want to sell to them in return?

"The Sony Group’s diverse array of entertainment and technology assets to support further evolution of Bungie and its ability to create iconic worlds across multiple platforms and media."

Alright so boiled down, what's really going on here?

Sony is trying to build their company portfolio. They're trying to build up their options. They want the networking power of this industry-leading games-as-a-service champion, Bungie. After all, extremely few games have been able to pull this model off well (remember all the “Destiny Killers”?), and as a bonus, this sci-go universe is ripe for multimedia expansion. Because of these two reasons, Sony reached out to Bungie.

To repeat, Sony is interested in Bungie. They don't want "Destiny" per say, they want Bungie. They want their industry knowledge, technical knowhow, and they see their new IPs as booming market opportunities. They want them as they build a competitive answer to Microsoft’s Gamepass (as part of the product, or as a consultant in the technical development), and they want to get to the full paycheck of Destiny: The Movie when it finally comes out. Part of the $3.4 Billion was explicitly spent just on employee incentives to ensure that all of the talent at Bungie stays at Bungie. They want the studio's creative power, and they don't want to mess with it.

Bungie, meanwhile, agreed to sell to Sony likely in part due to their access to multimedia resources. Bungie saw Spiderverse. They saw Uncharted. Sony told them "We can get you Tom Holland, we can get you Mark Wahlberg, we can get you these big production capabilities to expand Destiny into a entire, true, global multi-media franchise." And this caught Bungie’s eye. They want to be the next Marvel, so to speak. And hell, if that’s true, the money Sony could make from this would pale in comparison to anything done to Destiny 2 itself.

BUT, Bungie only signed if Sony promised they could keep full control over what they do inside their studios and where that stuff goes. Bungie decides what goes into the game. Bungie decides who has access to it. Bungie decides what game they make next. Period. They could make a British Cooking simulator and exclusively sell it to Xbox, and Sony wouldn't be able to stop them (although don't expect their current deal to stay intact if they do).

The lawyer, a former player of Destiny himself, states that although he hopes Bungie re-evaluates their decision on content vaulting with this new partnership, even Sony themselves wouldn't be able to influence such decision. That's the power Bungie has right now. Sony is invested in the company, not the game.

Now, here’s the catch. As we know it now, and also given Bungie’s past relationships, this kind of stipulation will almost certainly cause friction in the future. After all, this is a very rare deal to be made. We don't know if Bungie got it written in as a legal agreement (in which, if push comes to shove, Bungie would have to buy themselves free again), or Sony just offered it as a gesture of goodwill (and say, 3 years from now, things are re-evaluated). This is the one thing we don’t know. But given the immense layering and detailed language of full body independence within their press release, which again, both parties need to mutually agree upon before publishing, it’s very unlikely for this to change soon (if at all, or at least until sometime like 2024).

So as it stands now, exclusives are entirely off the table unless Bungie themself solely decides they want to add them. Bungie, and Bungie alone, decides what Destiny is. Sony, meanwhile, is taking a massive bet by surrendering the reigns to Bungie, and they're saying "Alright, as long as you guys pick up the phone when we need it, and you give us your paychecks, you do you." That is the status quo. And so far, it seems to be in a win-win spot for both companies. The likelihood of this situation changing depends on how much faith you have in Sony as a company.

TL;DR

Sony just wants Bungie's money, tech, and expertise. Bungie just wants to continue their game while gaining access to TV shows and movies. Both companies came to a rare, but genuine, mutual agreement to leave Destiny and any future IPs solely and exclusively within Bungie's entire top to bottom control. That means Sony has zero influence over what happens in the game.

Yes, Sony could technically alter this deal in the future, but given how explicitly clear Bungie was about stating their independence (to the point of almost needless and deliberate repetition within their legal document, by the lawyer’s own opinion), it doesn't seem likely. This could have be written in the contract, after all. Or maybe it’s just a gesture of goodwill. Time will tell.

But I don't know about you, I'm just going to save my popcorn for when they announce production of “Destiny: The Movie” instead. Staring Lance Reddick.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread