Pretty dope Lore Summary (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, February 26, 2022, 07:40 (761 days ago)

Byf did a long ass video about the Books of Sorrow, and Savathun's story since. It's got tons of original artworks and computer animations. For a non professional production, it's pretty crazy good.

You probably already know all the lore information contained in it, but it's presented pretty imaginatively. Long though. Almost 2 hrs.

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, February 28, 2022, 10:03 (759 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cool, thanks for sharing this.

I know bits and pieces but something like this makes it more enjoyable to read\watch. I have heard this campaign is getting a lot of praise for having better focus on the story.

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by squidnh3, Monday, February 28, 2022, 11:04 (759 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I know bits and pieces but something like this makes it more enjoyable to read\watch.

Probably the 2 best works of Destiny lore are the "Books of Sorrow" and "Marasenna". I personally think that both are relatively self-contained works that wouldn't be out of place in a general science fiction anthology.

I have heard this campaign is getting a lot of praise for having better focus on the story.

The campaign's true success is the gameplay, but in terms of story it does an excellent (or at least vastly improved) job of weaving story and gameplay, as well as bringing things together from the past in a sensical way that appears to be leading somewhere without leaving a bunch unresolved threads.

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by squidnh3, Monday, February 28, 2022, 10:39 (759 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Byf did a long ass video about the Books of Sorrow, and Savathun's story since. It's got tons of original artworks and computer animations. For a non professional production, it's pretty crazy good.

You probably already know all the lore information contained in it, but it's presented pretty imaginatively. Long though. Almost 2 hrs.

It's sort of amazing the mileage Bungie is getting out of the Books of Sorrow, which General Battuta says were written in a week: 170156. I wonder how he feels about them being such an important text for this expansion.

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 28, 2022, 11:50 (759 days ago) @ squidnh3

It's sort of amazing the mileage Bungie is getting out of the Books of Sorrow, which General Battuta says were written in a week: 170156. I wonder how he feels about them being such an important text for this expansion.

I wonder how people playing the Witch Queen who never read the Books of Sorrow grimoire feel.

Remember it was tied to those fragments in the dreadnaught! Unless you looked it up there was no way you'd have read it all.

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by Robot Chickens, Monday, February 28, 2022, 14:46 (759 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I wonder how people playing the Witch Queen who never read the Books of Sorrow grimoire feel.

Remember it was tied to those fragments in the dreadnaught! Unless you looked it up there was no way you'd have read it all.

I think this is missing the point. Back in D1 the Books of Sorrow were meant to be lore and anyone writing those grimoire cards would have probably understood that there wouldn't be a ton of exposure outside of the hardcore. It was probably considered really elaborate flavor text. Now those writings form the background of the central plot of D2. I doubt he was paid lead-writer compensation for that.

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 28, 2022, 15:39 (759 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I think this is missing the point. Back in D1 the Books of Sorrow were meant to be lore and anyone writing those grimoire cards would have probably understood that there wouldn't be a ton of exposure outside of the hardcore. It was probably considered really elaborate flavor text. Now those writings form the background of the central plot of D2. I doubt he was paid lead-writer compensation for that.

Right. So my question is how does The Witch Queen roll in the necessary info for someone who has never read the book of sorrow? Does it?

Pretty dope Lore Summary

by cheapLEY @, Monday, February 28, 2022, 15:50 (759 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It does an okay job of forwarding the relevant stuff.

At 8:42 in this video. This video seems pretty good if you just want to see the story. It keeps enough of the in mission dialogue to give you the full story.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread