Text Logs in Games (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 04, 2022, 15:54 (755 days ago)

Can't reply in the control thread, but this can be applied to any game.

I found this video:

This guy pretty much lays out a lot of my dislike in collectable logs.

Personally, I'm far more likely to read a note I find in a game if it's a physical thing within the world. It helps it to feel more connected with the core gameplay. It's more immersive to read a note while hearing noises from the space around you and seeing your surroundings than it is to read one from a menu screen that has almost nothing to do with the note you're reading. Actively pausing a game to look at text is an inconvenience, while reading something native to the world feels like an extension of gameplay."

I feel like this video explains a lot of the points I was trying to make way better than I was making them.

Text Logs in Games

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 04, 2022, 16:30 (755 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I didn’t watch the video, but I sort of disagree.

Every time I pick up a note to read in a video game, I hit the button to get the overlay that just puts it up as normal text so so I can actually read the damn thing. I just want the information, I don’t need to spend ten minutes trying to decipher some low res cursive note that looks like it’s been used as a coffee filter because it’s more immersive that way.

Text Logs in Games

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, March 06, 2022, 19:35 (752 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can't reply in the control thread, but this can be applied to any game.

I found this video:

This guy pretty much lays out a lot of my dislike in collectable logs.

Personally, I'm far more likely to read a note I find in a game if it's a physical thing within the world. It helps it to feel more connected with the core gameplay. It's more immersive to read a note while hearing noises from the space around you and seeing your surroundings than it is to read one from a menu screen that has almost nothing to do with the note you're reading. Actively pausing a game to look at text is an inconvenience, while reading something native to the world feels like an extension of gameplay."

I feel like this video explains a lot of the points I was trying to make way better than I was making them.

I can understand the appeal, I just prioritize content over presentation.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread