So how was the raid? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 06, 2022, 15:00 (781 days ago)

On a scale from Prison of Elders to Vault of Glass.

So how was the raid?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, March 06, 2022, 15:41 (781 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol, so on a scale of not-a-raid to raid?

So how was the raid?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 08:58 (780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On a scale from Prison of Elders to Vault of Glass.

My team wasn't able to finish it with the Contest modifier on.

We're hoping to rectify that today.

Keeping it general, I will say that the mechanics are pretty intricate - more than most raids, this doesn't seem like casual content. (I mean, no raid is truly 'casual content'... but most raids, you can get a team of vets together and bring someone new through, explaining the mechanics as you go, and get through it without too much agitas. I think that's going to be harder here than it's been in the past.)

So how was the raid?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 09:15 (780 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I watch some of the race on Saturday. It looks more similar to Last Wish than anything else in terms of needing callouts. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the aesthetic, either.

It might still be fun to play, but it didn’t look great based on just watching some of it.

So how was the raid?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 09:48 (780 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I watch some of the race on Saturday. It looks more similar to Last Wish than anything else in terms of needing callouts. Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the aesthetic, either.

It might still be fun to play, but it didn’t look great based on just watching some of it.

It was pretty fun to play. I actually thought it was quite beautiful, in its way.

I don't want to get into direct comparisons, because of spoilers for people who haven't tried it yet... but I was thinking a bit about Last Wish as a comparison, too - the difference (in my head) is that you need to keep track of MORE bits of information at any given time here than you did in LW. (LW had places where you needed to be familiar with a collection of items, so that you could recognize them and call them out when prompted... but at any given time, you really only needed to keep track of one thing. I suppose you could say that in the Vault, you needed to keep track of three plates, and which of two states each of those plates were in... but that's pretty much the limit of the complications in LW. That's substantially fewer bits to juggle than we faced this weekend.)

So how was the raid?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 07, 2022, 09:50 (780 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I love the aesthetic, feels like a creepy museum.

Fortunately,there is a room before the first official encounter that has a tutorial for the symbol callouts. If you walk up to each symbol it shows the name by your radar.

The overall theme of the campaign was "memory", so it seems fitting that the raid puzzles rely a lot on remembering things. We resorted to pulling up a chart someone had made and studying it to remember names, and marking them off as we needed them. It's just that after 8 hours of trying to remember patterns, they all run together. I can see too that guiding new players along will take some tutorial time with the symbols. At least Bungie gave us official names to work with.

We haven't finished. We figured out the mechanics of the first? boss fight. The contest mode handicap was just holding us back.

I have enjoyed it so far. I would rank it along with Last Wish. Not my absolute favorite, but it's not bad.

So how was the raid?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 07, 2022, 10:01 (780 days ago) @ bluerunner

I love the aesthetic, feels like a creepy museum.

Fortunately,there is a room before the first official encounter that has a tutorial for the symbol callouts. If you walk up to each symbol it shows the name by your radar.

The overall theme of the campaign was "memory", so it seems fitting that the raid puzzles rely a lot on remembering things. We resorted to pulling up a chart someone had made and studying it to remember names, and marking them off as we needed them. It's just that after 8 hours of trying to remember patterns, they all run together. I can see too that guiding new players along will take some tutorial time with the symbols. At least Bungie gave us official names to work with.

We haven't finished. We figured out the mechanics of the first? boss fight. The contest mode handicap was just holding us back.

I have enjoyed it so far. I would rank it along with Last Wish. Not my absolute favorite, but it's not bad.

Can someone solo to this room as prep?

So how was the raid?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 10:04 (780 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I do not think so. However... the symbols are already on the web, labeled. (I'm sure it'll get even more polished over time, but after we gave up for the weekend, I went looking, and there were plenty of options. Try googling 'vow of the disciple symbols' if you want to see what there is.)

?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 07, 2022, 10:20 (780 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Hilariously

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 07, 2022, 17:26 (780 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I do not think so. However... the symbols are already on the web, labeled. (I'm sure it'll get even more polished over time, but after we gave up for the weekend, I went looking, and there were plenty of options. Try googling 'vow of the disciple symbols' if you want to see what there is.)

You go through this room as part of the Pyramid investigation mission which I guess got opened by the raid world first clear...

Hilariously

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 22:26 (780 days ago) @ kidtsunami

You go through this room as part of the Pyramid investigation mission which I guess got opened by the raid world first clear...

lololol

(I just discovered, this evening, when we went back in for the first secret chest, that you CAN solo to this room, and would be able to even if the mission hadn't gone live. It might be tricky, because you have to open the main door by yourself (not super hard) and then sparrow to the first building (harder, if you've never done it, and harder still, because Pervading Darkness makes you blinder and blinder until it kills you, but it's not a darkness zone, and your body spawns roughly where you died, so you can do it in segments, and I'm sure there are maps online). Totally doable, though. Might even be faster than running the mission. (I don't know - I've never run the mission.)

Hilariously

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 07:58 (779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Somebody has already made a glyph trainer.
http://gsamra-001-site1.ctempurl.com/index.aspx

Hilariously

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 09:42 (779 days ago) @ bluerunner

lol - I'm gonna need that if we're going to switch from our original callouts to the 'official' ones. (Seems like if you only plan to raid with the same people, there are no downsides to sticking with the callouts your team came up with the first time through. If you swap around, though, the only reasonable thing to standardize on is the official list - because it's actually in-game. I'm still sort of mad we didn't notice until after the first encounter was well over.)

Hilariously

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 10:15 (779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

lol - I'm gonna need that if we're going to switch from our original callouts to the 'official' ones. (Seems like if you only plan to raid with the same people, there are no downsides to sticking with the callouts your team came up with the first time through. If you swap around, though, the only reasonable thing to standardize on is the official list - because it's actually in-game. I'm still sort of mad we didn't notice until after the first encounter was well over.)

We spent a lot of time in that room with the symbols before we realized you could walk out to the next area. We were turning them on and off. It also took us a while when we first entered the pyramid to realize that the way forward was a hole in the floor. Then some of us got literally stuck because we wondered out of the map after the Caretaker.

Hilariously

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 11:02 (779 days ago) @ bluerunner

Then some of us got literally stuck because we wondered out of the map after the Caretaker.

Us too - there's a door that shouldn't be a door in that room with the first switch of the jumping puzzle. It leads to an area that's clearly unfinished, and inescapable.

Hilariously

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 14:41 (779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Then some of us got literally stuck because we wondered out of the map after the Caretaker.

Us too - there's a door that shouldn't be a door in that room with the first switch of the jumping puzzle. It leads to an area that's clearly unfinished, and inescapable.

Yup, that's it.

Hilariously

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 12:45 (779 days ago) @ Claude Errera

One of my favorite parts of Pit of Heresy is hearing what other people call the Hive symbols.

Burger.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 13:06 (779 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Hilariously

by squidnh3, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 13:58 (779 days ago) @ Vortech

One of my favorite parts of Pit of Heresy is hearing what other people call the Hive symbols.

ChrisTheeCrappy famously had some unique callouts for the Last Wish symbols, but I can't remember them (I've never actually done the symbol caller role on Vault).

Hilariously

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, March 08, 2022, 20:29 (779 days ago) @ squidnh3

The NSFW Australian callouts for Last Wish are a long-running reference for a certain group I play with.

Hilariously

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 09, 2022, 12:42 (778 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, March 09, 2022, 12:47

I guess some of us like playing with a variety of people, Wu. ;)

Seriously, though, it is a point of privilege to be able raid often--especially with the same people over and over. I thought this was a nice quality of life innovation, including official names in the game. You made the point yourself that this raid requires a heavy cognitive load. I think it's great that it's less likely you'll have to learn a different language when you play with people you don't usually play with. Sometimes such factors become bosses in themselves, and not the fun kind.

Hilariously

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 09, 2022, 12:22 (778 days ago) @ bluerunner

Cool, except they really should not have cropped the glyphs. You couldn't see the ghost with the guardian.

Agreed. So weird that they did

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 09, 2022, 13:43 (778 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

So how was the raid?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 07, 2022, 11:22 (780 days ago) @ kidtsunami

C/O a reddit tip:
You can pin them to the side on PS5.

[image]

So how was the raid?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 11:35 (780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

C/O a reddit tip:

[image]

Heh - or just use a phone. :) (or a computer, or whatever)

So how was the raid?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 07, 2022, 11:57 (780 days ago) @ Claude Errera

C/O a reddit tip:

[image]

In the spirit of LifeProTips, it's cool yet impractical.

So how was the raid?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 07, 2022, 12:03 (780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

C/O a reddit tip:

[image]

Super impractical. Why would I get a big monitor, and then suck up half of it with a static pic?

So how was the raid?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 07, 2022, 12:18 (780 days ago) @ Claude Errera

C/O a reddit tip:

[image]

Super impractical. Why would I get a big monitor, and then suck up half of it with a static pic?

You spent all your money on the big monitor and have none left for an iPad, phone, or computer :-p

So how was the raid?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, March 07, 2022, 14:42 (780 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Reminds me of when I would "Snap" the public events tracker site to the side of the screen while playing D1. I don't think the Xbox even can do that anymore.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread