SkillUp’s Witch Queen review (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 25, 2022, 17:11 (756 days ago)

Are you already preemptively too lazy to read Insane’s upcoming novel? (:

Watch SkillUp’s review instead. I agree with a lot of his thoughts, but you’re all tired of reading my words, so watch this instead.

SkillUp’s Witch Queen review

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 25, 2022, 17:42 (756 days ago) @ cheapLEY

What if I'm also too lazy to watch a one hour video?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 25, 2022, 17:49 (756 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I can’t help you there.

Wait, yes I can.

Too long; didn’t watch:

Campaign was great. Legendary difficulty is perfect, it should be the default difficulty. All the match made activities and main modes in the game are brain dead easy and boring. Void 3.0 and how powerful we are exacerbates that. Champions suck. Grinding the too many bullshit systems in this game sucks. There are too many bespoke systems that don’t interact well.

That’s really the main stuff he hammers on. It really doesn’t need to be an hour long video.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 25, 2022, 17:50 (756 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I can’t help you there.

Wait, yes I can.

Too long; didn’t watch:

Campaign was great. Legendary difficulty is perfect, it should be the default difficulty. All the match made activities and main modes in the game are brain dead easy and boring. Void 3.0 and how powerful we are exacerbates that. Champions suck. Grinding the too many bullshit systems in this game sucks. There are too many bespoke systems that don’t interact well.

That’s really the main stuff he hammers on. It really doesn’t need to be an hour long video.

It takes a lot of skill to make video reviews worth watching over text. Dunky is the GOAT

by cheapLEY @, Friday, March 25, 2022, 17:55 (756 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think SkillUp is actually pretty good at it. This one is just too long-winded. He kinda does a section on every game mode, but just makes the “power creep makes this boring because it’s too easy” for every mode. Which, he’s not wrong, but it’s a point that only needs to be made once, and it was made thoroughly and well the first time.

He also does an extended section on Gambit, which seems unnecessary, because it’s Gambit—who cares? Everyone knows it sucks, it’s not necessary to spend ten minutes on that.

Can confirm. No Gambit in my... *LIGHT* novel, sir!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, March 25, 2022, 20:06 (756 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 25, 2022, 20:29 (756 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Man that sucks. When I stopped playing Des2ny just over three years ago, Gambit was awesome.

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Sunday, March 27, 2022, 16:40 (754 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The PVP section is funny because so much of the footage is from Destiny 1 maps.

Also his review made me realize that turning D2 into a live service game and not making D3 was an absolutely massive mistake. Destiny 2 is shackled to so many bad decisions and outdated code and game systems.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, March 27, 2022, 17:42 (754 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Yep.

I was a huge advocate for one cohesive Destiny. I was wrong. I guess I could make the argument that with them deleting content, we’ve still never seen that, but I do think their reasons for doing so are valid, at least on paper.

We need Destiny 3 really badly. Or I do, at least. Destiny 2 is no longer compelling. SkillUp’s arguments about difficulty good true, and it means Destiny isn’t fun anymore on a fundamental level. I don’t blame Bungie completely—they’ve clearly found a formula that works for the massive number of people that still play, and it keeps them playing and probably spending money. Even if I think it’s dogshit, I can’t really be mad at them for developing the game the way they have.

If anything, I should be thankful. Making Destiny bad enough to break it’s hold over me has given me that much more time to play Elden Ring.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 28, 2022, 08:58 (753 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We need Destiny 3 really badly. Or I do, at least. Destiny 2 is no longer compelling. SkillUp’s arguments about difficulty good true, and it means Destiny isn’t fun anymore on a fundamental level. I don’t blame Bungie completely—they’ve clearly found a formula that works for the massive number of people that still play, and it keeps them playing and probably spending money. Even if I think it’s dogshit, I can’t really be mad at them for developing the game the way they have.

I was actually curious and looked up the numbers. At least on PC, the number of players spikes with an expansion, then levels off and basically stays put. It seems like there in fact are a lot of regular players who stick around and do play constantly. It's kind of remarkable actually, given the quickly moving landscape of gaming and entertainment in general today.

By this point, it's basically end-of-work comfort food

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 28, 2022, 08:59 (753 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by squidnh3, Monday, March 28, 2022, 10:26 (753 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was actually curious and looked up the numbers. At least on PC, the number of players spikes with an expansion, then levels off and basically stays put. It seems like there in fact are a lot of regular players who stick around and do play constantly. It's kind of remarkable actually, given the quickly moving landscape of gaming and entertainment in general today.

It's just a good, fun, hobby that I play with a solid group of people on a regular basis. The amount of work I'd have to do to cover all the itches that Destiny scratches for me (that sounds weirder than intended) is gargantuan, so why bother?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 28, 2022, 10:29 (753 days ago) @ squidnh3

It's just a good, fun, hobby that I play with a solid group of people on a regular basis. The amount of work I'd have to do to cover all the itches that Destiny scratches for me (that sounds weirder than intended) is gargantuan, so why bother?

Heh - this was pretty close to the answer I was going to post (but decided to stay quiet with).

I play because my friends play. My friends play because I play.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 28, 2022, 11:47 (753 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That’s the hardest part of not playing.

Can’t we all just find something else to play?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 28, 2022, 11:54 (753 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm too old to multitask. :(

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 28, 2022, 14:20 (753 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Multitasking is a myth regardless.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 11:39 (752 days ago) @ Kermit

Multitasking is a myth regardless.

My problem is that I am trying to multitask other hobbies and side businesses and I can't find time to even focus on this one game, much less try others. I feel so far behind now. Maybe sometime in June I can finally finish this raid.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 13:21 (752 days ago) @ bluerunner

Maybe sometime in June I can finally finish this raid.

And get the exotic, presumably.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 13:39 (752 days ago) @ squidnh3

Maybe sometime in June I can finally finish this raid.

And get the exotic, presumably.

Heh, yeah. I still have not ran VoG start to finish in D2, but I have had Mythoclast drop on both times I helped at Atheon.

Nah, that'll happen before he finishes.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 16:13 (752 days ago) @ squidnh3

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 15:16 (752 days ago) @ bluerunner

My problem is that I am trying to multitask other hobbies and side businesses and I can't find time to even focus on this one game, much less try others. I feel so far behind now. Maybe sometime in June I can finally finish this raid.

Just quit. You'll be better off. Believe me, I know!

We're just one giant "Cheers" theme song.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, March 28, 2022, 13:35 (753 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Can I be Norm?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 28, 2022, 15:59 (753 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

CLAUDE!!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, March 28, 2022, 17:39 (753 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 08:35 (752 days ago) @ squidnh3
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 08:39

This. And Skillup's review gave me an epiphany. My friend Prof Ozy and I have played video games together for a very long time (starting with Robosport, the only game I consistently won against him). He currently likes games I don't really like (e.g., Ghost Recon), and we've been struggling to find something we both want to play (while I'm struggling to find time to keep with Destiny alone). He's played Destiny off and on, but gets bogged down with it and loses interest as a mainly solo player.

Bounty hunting and the lower level playlists are something we can play together because basically he just likes to shoot stuff. He doesn't have to have kept up to join in, and I think that's part of what Bungie is doing. They're basically saying, walk-ins welcome. I'm not saying that criticism from Datto and the like are unwarranted, but Bungie is walking a tightrope here between keeping the game accessible to casual players and interesting to the hardcore. It's a challenge, I'm sure.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 08:41 (752 days ago) @ Kermit

There’s an easy solution for that.

Remove power level and add difficulty selection. Boom. I fixed it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 08:59 (752 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There’s an easy solution for that.

Remove power level and add difficulty selection. Boom. I fixed it.

Haven't they added difficulty selection, to a degree?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 10:04 (752 days ago) @ Kermit

Not in any way that matters, no. It’s still based on power level.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 04, 2022, 11:40 (746 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I still play D2 frequently (not every day, but close to that). For me, it’s probably 90% down to the social experience at this point. D2 is where my friends and I hang out together most often. However, even that is starting to slip. Every season, there is less and less content in the game that anyone in my clan has any interest in playing, and the content we do still enjoy is becoming restricted by qualifiers.

For example, it used to be a given that most of my clan would spend most of a given weekend playing Trials. But now it’s only IF there’s no solo-Que playlist that weekend, IF it’s not the control variant of Trials, IF the adept weapon is one we care about chasing, etc. If any of those qualifiers are not met, we’ll probably still play a card, but that’s about it. This kind of approach is bleeding into many aspects of the game. We won’t touch the strike or gambit playlists unless it’s a triple XP week and we can knock out some seasonal challenges real fast, because otherwise we just find both activities mindlessly dull. We’ll do Grandmaster nightfalls IF the adept weapon is a good one. We’ll do regular crucible IF there are at least 4-5 of us in a fireteam together… any less than that, and matchmaking becomes hopelessly frustrating. Bungie has removed any reason to ever touch the competitive playlist, so that’s gone for us. The seasonal activities and missions tend to wear themselves out after the first week or two. We’ll do the latest raid once or twice per week, and we’ll really enjoy it for a little while, but that eventually turns into exhaustion and frustration as we run it week after week after week just because a couple people in the clan won’t get the raid exotic until their 75th completion or something nuts like that, lol.

For me, it’s a stark contrast from Foresaken era D2 when I genuinely enjoyed many different parts of the game (Forsaken even made me love Patrols!). My clan was poised and ready to jump ship and move over to Halo Infinite, but that game was such a huge miss for most of us that we’re still going back to D2. But I could easily see us switching to another game if something comes along that clicks with enough of us.

If only Titanfall 3 existed.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 04, 2022, 12:40 (746 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Don’t… don’t give me hope :(

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 04, 2022, 13:39 (746 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The Titanfall franchise deserves a Titanfall 3, and for it to be a massive success. I don’t think a shooter campaign has come close to matching TF2’s campaign, and that was… [checks google]… FIVE AND A HALF YEARS AGO?!?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 04, 2022, 14:31 (746 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The Titanfall franchise deserves a Titanfall 3, and for it to be a massive success. I don’t think a shooter campaign has come close to matching TF2’s campaign, and that was… [checks google]… FIVE AND A HALF YEARS AGO?!?

Doom Eternal?

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 04, 2022, 14:58 (746 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Doom Eternal?

Fuck no. The DOOM 2016 campaign, maybe, but Eternal is nowhere near it.

Shit, now I might have to replay DOOM and Titanfall 2.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 04, 2022, 15:45 (746 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Doom Eternal?

Haven’t tried Eternal, but i bounced off Doom 2016 pretty quickly (I recognize that it’s great in its own way, but just didn’t appeal to me).

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, April 04, 2022, 15:49 (746 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Doom Eternal is great in the feel and playstyle of the campaign, but I don't think it captures the same feeling of mobility and or fluidity of TF.

TF2’s campaign with ME3 Multiplayer. That's all I want*.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 04, 2022, 17:22 (746 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

*and...well maybe death by kitten avalanche.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread